• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most Xbox Disc Games Require Online Connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Demand

Banned

Being annoyed at having to be online to play a game even with single player is understandable but what if a console was built like that for all games?

I’m actually surprised MS doesn’t get any complaints about this. Like have Xbox owners accepted the console being always online or is it that they don’t realize it? This is the worse kind of DRM than just than one game having it.

Xbox games also don’t contain the full game on disc. It only has part of it and you have to download the rest. It uses 50GB disc while PS5 uses 100GB blurays. Often times you can’t even fit a full game on a Xbox disc. But even if the game can fit you still need to be connected online to play it for whatever reason.

Crazy how the media overlooks these things about Xbox.

anthony2690

Banned

Being annoyed at having to be online to play a game even with single player is understandable but what if a console was built like that for all games?

I’m actually surprised MS doesn’t get any complaints about this. Like have Xbox owners accepted the console being always online or is it that they don’t realize it? This is the worse kind of DRM than just than one game having it.

Xbox games also don’t contain the full game on disc. It only has part of it and you have to download the rest. It uses 50GB disc while PS5 uses 100GB blurays. Often times you can’t even fit a full game on a Xbox disc. But even if the game can fit you still need to be connected online to play it for whatever reason.

No idea why you would share this guy, dude is an idiot.

Got told he was wrong and spreading misinformation and instead off admitting he was wrong despite numerous people proving/showcasing he was wrong.

He doubled down on it and then claimed to have received death threats as a last resort when he realised how stupid he looked.

And he got 15 minutes of attention/fame briefly.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
When I don't have Internet I can play digitally and physical disc on my xbox one.

What the hell are people doing since they can't play offlinr, and why is this a whole thread about the "my game is shit but the other platform is worse" crap.

And some dude said in the other thread that pc master race are the most toxic people.

TBiddy

Since you obviously do not own an Xbox, what is your real purpose with this thread?

When I don't have Internet I can play digitally and physical disc on my xbox one.

What the hell are people doing since they can't play offlinr, and why is this a whole thread about the "my game is shit but the other platform is worse" crap.

And some dude said in the other thread that pc master race are the most toxic people.
As far as I'm aware, xBox doesn't ALWAYS check for online status, I think it's once every 2 weeks or something to validate licenses, but I could be wrong. A temporary internet outtage won't affect you, but some time in the future when the platform is outdated, it might not be able to check for the licenses anymore and all your games will be coasters.

On Demand

Banned
No idea why you would share this guy, dude is an idiot.

Got told he was wrong and spreading misinformation and instead off admitting he was wrong despite numerous people proving/showcasing he was wrong.

He doubled down on it and then claimed to have received death threats as a last resort when he realised how stupid he looked.

And he got 15 minutes of attention/fame briefly.

He’s not wrong though. You do need to be online for a lot of games.

Since you obviously do not own an Xbox, what is your real purpose with this thread?

To inform people.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

damagecontrol.jpg

What level of damage control are we on right now? :messenger_beaming:

To clarify, GT7 is always online, while most Xbox games need a single online check at install and then flawlessly work offline. Massive false equivalence.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
How is GT7 a shit show? The game is amazing to play and complete.

A shit show is…..well don’t let me start with that…
No doubt. It's the online requirement that is making it a shit show. We just saw the game go down for over 24 hours because of some server issue. It will happen again. Sony needs to remove the online requirement ASAP

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
No doubt. It's the online requirement that is making it a shit show. We just saw the game go down for over 24 hours because of some server issue. It will happen again. Sony needs to remove the online requirement ASAP

You mean patch issue. Server maintenance was planned already for that day, but it took longer due to a bug in the 1.07 patch.

Dibils2k

the thing is, when xbox live is down i can still play the games...

when GT7 servers are down, i cant play the game

and Xbox live or PSN servers very rarely go down as it effects everyone, where as game servers always have issues and arent as robust

its not really comparable

Lognor

Banned
You mean patch issue. Server maintenance was planned already for that day, but it took longer due to a bug in the 1.07 patch.
Right, patch issue. Point still stands. It will happen again and people will not be able to play their single player game. Hopefully next time it won't be down for so long. But still, Sony can fix this by removing the online requirement. Why get the bad press every time your single player game is down due to servers, patches, etc?

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Xbox is a domestic species that needs to be protected by domestic media, especially if the media "needs to put food on the table".

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Always online DRM is shit.

If Sony does it with GT7, it's shit and we should push back.

If Xbox does it with games, next-gen versions of cross-gen games, and basically their entire console, it is shit and we should push back.

Fuck corporations. Protect fellow gamers.

I'm glad at least PlayStation fans are self-aware and are never hesitant in demanding better. They make a lot of noise when they must -- whether it is GT7 DRM and MTX or Horizon Forbidden West free upgrade.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
An ellipsis is three dots or periods unless immediately following a period then it looks like four.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Any attention is good attention let’s face it, Xbox fanboys couldn’t wait to tear into gran turismo 7’s problems.
So you think all the shit GT7 is getting is from Xbox fanboys? Xbox fanboys were able to get the metacritic user score down to 2? Really?
Or maybe you don't believe that because you admit GT7 has problems. Why shouldn't everyone tear into this? The more press it gets the worse it looks for Sony and more likely that Sony will remove the online requirement.

sn0man

Simply, the realists moved on. It is pretty clear that MS wasn’t going to walk back a 10-yr old policy.

I like me some Forza, Gears, and Halo. I think the Xbox 360 is a top five console and will always have a special place in my heart. But as a plastic console I might want, Microsoft is currently dead to me. You could keep a glimmer of hope that they’ll change their mind and put them in carbonite but it’s the hope that kills you. Better to look at Microsoft for its positives. They offer gamepass and frankly the Netflix of video games is a pretty good deal. I don’t have it but I can see it.

Sony first parties and many third parties meanwhile are usually complete on disc and fully playable and finishable without patches. (Personally I own 50+ games that are fully working.) except when they aren’t like GT7, one of the worst games in the franchise.

TL;DR; it’s a function of expectations. We know Microsoft is gonna talk a big game about being pro gamer while ignoring their online setup and requirements. Better to ignore them and keep fighting for the PlayStation and Nintendo consoles that still work fully offline and rightly call out steaming piles of shit like GT7.

Three

If you set up your Xbox console as primary you can play offline all games which do not have a online component, including Game Pass ones.

That’s the truth and everyone who actually has an Xbox can test it and see for themselves. I used it last weekend.
This isn't about primary or secondary consoles. You still need an internet connection to play games you bought on disc.

This is the tweet from Tom Warren that set off this reply

And the guy rightfully highlighted the fact that 90% of PS5 discs will play offline absolutely fine whereas 95% of xbox disc games require an online connection to function.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

This isn't about primary or secondary consoles. You still need an internet connection to play games you bought on disc.

This is the tweet from Tom Warren that set off this reply

And the guy rightfully highlighted the fact that 90% of PS5 discs will play offline absolutely fine whereas 95% of xbox disc games require an online connection to function.

Of course it’s about primary or secondary console, the online check is done every time if you are not on your primary console. It’s the exact same system as the one used on the Switch.

Again, I used it last weekend, went to a family gathering, did not connect the console to the internet and was able to play both owned digital games and GP games. Do you have specific examples of non-online games requiring online check?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

GT7 always online really hurt you didn't it?

Pulling someone's Twitter that is totally wrong to make a fake argument is really sad honestly.

I own both Series X and PS5 and 100% hate always online to the point I wont buy said game but this is just blatant lies.

Three

Of course it’s about primary or secondary console, the online check is done every time if you are not on your primary console. It’s the exact same system as the one used on the Switch.

Again, I used it last weekend, went to a family gathering, did not connect the console to the internet and was able to play both owned digital games and GP games. Do you have specific examples of non-online games requiring online check?
The guy is talking about the discs being unplayable without a connection because the disc doesn't actually contain a working/functioning game. Setting your console to primary without a connection isn't going to help you there. If it isn't clear the disc is just acting as drm to download the game, which requires a connection.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

The guy is talking about the discs being unplayable without a connection because the disc doesn't actually contain a working/functioning game. Setting your console to primary without a connection isn't going to help you there.
Are you talking about requiring being online for installation or being online for play?

If you’re talking about being online for installation it’s an issue for sure but it has nothing to do with the issue of GT7 requiring online connection to play single player.

If you’re talking about being online for playing then you’re wrong.

Re-read the OP and it’s clear what he’s talking about.

The guy is talking about the discs being unplayable without a connection because the disc doesn't actually contain a working/functioning game. Setting your console to primary without a connection isn't going to help you there. If it isn't clear the disc is just acting as drm to download the game which requires a connection.
That's only for the first time you run the game. You put the disc in, install/download the game, there's a DRM check and that's it. From now on you can play the game offline. Can't do that with GT7.

Three

That's only for the first time you run the game. You put the disc in, install/download the game, there's a DRM check and that's it. From now on you can play the game offline. Can't do that with GT7.
Yes but that's what that twitter reply was about and what started this conversation. Setting your console to primary or secondary would not help you in any way

I'm not making any commentary about Tom Warrens or On Demands equivalences to GT7.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned

There there young heart, Microsoft are naughty too. Not just poor Sony.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It's a one time only for smart delivery games to download the patch. Very different than not being able to play at all unless online.

Who's alt is the OP?

God Of War Kratos Nod GIF by PlayStation

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom