• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mother 2 Resurrection Festival, game coming to Wii U VC in Japan on 3/20

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The only thing that has always struck me as odd about the "COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT" thing is that it always appears to either be:

1. Speculation with no evidence.
  2. "Secret Info" leaked from an unnamed, mystery source.

I mean, I'll accept that sound samples would qualify as potential infringement and would need to be altered or removed. Everything else that is pointed to is really fairly safe as parody, ESPECIALLY in a game like Earthbound which has humor/parody woven deeply into its fabric.

I say this as I've noticed, over the years, that many "facts" are assumed about the game industry -- especially Nintendo -- yet with precious little evidence backing up these facts.

L Thammy

My understanding of the problem is that NCL isn't willing to change the music to match NOA's request. Since Itoi's aware of Starmen.net and his American fans, I wonder if he could be asked to give NCL his permission?

I've also read that Japan uses its own copyright law separate from international copyright. That my be why they can get away with sampling.

BD1

Banned
My understanding of the problem is that NCL isn't willing to change the music to match NOA's request. Since Itoi's aware of Starmen.net and his American fans, I wonder if he could be asked to give NCL his permission?

I've also read that Japan uses its own copyright law separate from international copyright. That my be why they can get away with sampling.

I was always under the impression Itoi was the one not willing to change it? Sort of an artist unwilling to compromise the original work?

The only thing that has always struck me as odd about the "COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT" thing is that it always appears to either be:

1. Speculation with no evidence.
  2. "Secret Info" leaked from an unnamed, mystery source.

I mean, I'll accept that sound samples would qualify as potential infringement and would need to be altered or removed. Everything else that is pointed to is really fairly safe as parody, ESPECIALLY in a game like Earthbound which has humor/parody woven deeply into its fabric.

I say this as I've noticed, over the years, that many "facts" are assumed about the game industry -- especially Nintendo -- yet with precious little evidence backing up these facts.

The source is apparently a friend of the webmaster of Starmen.net. This same source also told Starmen.net that Lucas would be in Super Smash Bros. Brawl years ago, and that site did post about that before Lucas was revealed, but I'm not sure if that really means much since that wasn't a hard guess to make.

What gives me confidence that the rumors are true is that Hirokazu Tanaka confirmed that there were copyright issues preventing the re-release of Earthbound in an interview he gave once.

http://www.1up.com/features/conversation-hip-tanaka

The sampling issue is a little sensitive, because... well, I don't know for sure, but it sounds like that is one of the reasons EarthBound is not able to come out in America. It's a topic we should probably avoid.

I was always under the impression Itoi was the one not willing to change it? Sort of an artist unwilling to compromise the original work?

It could be. The source didn't specify either way.

I really should replay Earthbound. I got half-way/three-quarters through before I stopped. I would just like to be able to play it legally, however, on a Nintendo portable of some sort.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
If only videogames had some sort of journalistic arm that could push those questions towards Nintendo. If only.

LOL, you think the western press cares? They're too busy eating doritos and drinking mountain dew while lavishing praise on the latest super-linear scripted "AAA" experience.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Regarding the copyright issues. Don't the copyrights for songs extend to Japan as well? Don't the copyright holders have a presence in Japan?

Are copyright laws different in Japan? Someone fill me up.

Edit: Already answered above, nevermind!

The Hermit

didn't knew that...

Nintendo being Nintendo, it will be easier to see Halo on the 3DS than any Mother game here whatsoever.

L Thammy

Hey, take that with a grain of salt. I'm not a lawyer or an expert in Japanese affairs. But as far as I know, that's why fansubs are such a big thing: Japanese companies can't enforce their Japanese copyright overseas until the work is licensed.

Anyhow, it would be nice if someone who can write Japanese could just ask Itoi when he's on Miiverse.

If copyright concerns were a uniquely American issue, then why was the Japanese release of Mother 2 on Wii VC also canned?

That's news to me. When did that happen?

really how long do nintendo fans have to ask for this game it's uncanny how much we get ignored..like they should actually TRY with this game, this game is literally a system seller for people.

MisterHero

I have high hopes that NoA will do something for EarthBound at E3. That's my only left-field guess though.

They need to do whatever it takes to make EB legally safe, but I'll eat a hat if they change Pokey to Porky.

Drago

Yup, using this avatar until we get official word of Earthbound on NA VC (or a few months pass and nothing happens :[ )

Punch-Out is fine, but I already have it on my 3DS and I get bored of it after a few minutes. Would take Earthbound over it in a picosecond.

RedSwirl

Has NOA or any part of Nintendo ever acknowledged the existence of Mother outside of Japan since Earthbound came out? Is music licensing really the only thing holding back Earthbound?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Here are those recent tweets:

糸井 重里 ‏@itoi_shigesato
Wii Uの「ミーバース」に、「MOTHER2」のコミュニティができました。「糸井重里の部屋」というところでも、ワイワイガヤガヤやるです。正直に腹を立てずに弛まず励めですのだ。ぽえ〜ん。あいことばは「10円くれ」

糸井 重里 ‏@itoi_shigesato
毎日言ってるんじゃなかったのか?!RT @todabu: 【大ニュース】岩田さんが「ぽえ〜ん」言った!

糸井 重里 ‏@itoi_shigesato
「MOTHER2」のダウンロード配信は、20日(水)からですので、まだです。にゃんとお値段30円です。ガリガリ君よりお安いのよねー。

糸井 重里 ‏@itoi_shigesato
誰か通訳をしてやってくださいわしのようなものには荷が重いのです。RT @MlLKYWAYS: @itoi_shigesato ENGLISH TRANSLATION PLEASE OH MY GOD

糸井 重里 ‏@itoi_shigesato
さっき通訳してくださいと言ったのは、こちらのことばをあちらに英訳してあげてねということなんです。いつか、実現してほしいなぁ。

(Pretty sure that last one is an acknowledgement that a US release ain't happenin', but I'll leave that for someone else to verify.)

Drago

(Pretty sure that last one is an acknowledgement that a US release ain't happenin', but I'll leave that for someone else to verify.)

donaldduck-funny-gifs-have-ever-been-so-mad-that-you.gif

please be mistranslated please be mistranslated please be mistranslated

L Thammy

Uh, does someone mind translating that? Google Translate isn't at the top of its game today.

'To "Mibasu" of Wii U, was a community of "MOTHER2". In a place called "Room of Shigesato Itoi," Wai Wai hubaboo do. It's the first dip is Hageme honestly not angry. Eh ぽ ん. Slogan is "Give me 10 yen"'

'Something like the eagle as a translator, please I'll be someone is a heavy load.'

jschreier

A couple of months ago, when Mother 2 was announced for Japan's Wii U VC, I asked NOA if it was coming here. The response: "We have nothing to announce about this game at this time." They're just so open and helpful!

糸井 重里 ‏@itoi_shigesato
誰か通訳をしてやってくださいわしのようなものには荷が重いのです。RT @MlLKYWAYS: @itoi_shigesato ENGLISH TRANSLATION PLEASE OH MY GOD

Someone please interpret. It's too much for someone like me to do on my own.

糸井 重里 ‏@itoi_shigesato

'Please interpet it' that I said before, I mean to translate it into English for me. I would love for [a release of the game] to happen.

MisterHero

Here are those recent tweets:

糸井 重里 ‏@itoi_shigesato
Wii Uの「ミーバース」に、「MOTHER2」のコミュニティができました。「糸井重里の部屋」というところでも、ワイワイガヤガヤやるです。正直に腹を立てずに弛まず励めですのだ。ぽえ〜ん。あいことばは「10円くれ」

糸井 重里 ‏@itoi_shigesato
毎日言ってるんじゃなかったのか?!RT @todabu: 【大ニュース】岩田さんが「ぽえ〜ん」言った!

糸井 重里 ‏@itoi_shigesato
「MOTHER2」のダウンロード配信は、20日(水)からですので、まだです。にゃんとお値段30円です。ガリガリ君よりお安いのよねー。

糸井 重里 ‏@itoi_shigesato

糸井 重里 ‏@itoi_shigesato

I used my Google expertise and translated it with 100% accuracy

@ Itoi_shigesato Shigesato Itoi
To "Mibasu" of Wii U, was a community of "MOTHER2". In a place called "Room of Shigesato Itoi," Wai Wai hubaboo do. It's the first dip is Hageme honestly not angry. Eh ぽ ん. Slogan is "Give me 10 yen"

Did not do you have to say every day? ! RT @ todabu: large [News] "Hmm example ぽ" said Iwata-san!

So 20 days from Wednesday, download delivery "MOTHER2" is yet. It is $ 30 Nyanto prices. That 's cheaper than us you skinny.

Something like the eagle as a translator, please I'll be someone is a heavy load. RT @ MlLKYWAYS: @ itoi_shigesato ENGLISH TRANSLATION PLEASE OH MY GOD

I say, please interpret earlier, it is not such that it'll be over there in the words of the English translation here. Someday, I wish I want to achieve.

Frolow

Banned
Translations of Itoi's messages in the Miiverse community, courtesy of Chewy from starment.net

1. Mic test, mic test, is this thing on? Shigesato Itoi here. Gimme something. Gimme som—test test
2. I’m currently eating a banana I submerged in 120 degree water for 15 minutes. It’s delicious! MOTHER 2 is good, but so are bananas.
3. I got caught up in the banana, but I’m not here about bananas.
4. Are you being troubled today, too, by how alluring you are to the opposite gender? YES – NO
5. Everyone remembers such nostalgic lines. What are some of your favorite lines from the game?

Drago

The majority of Mother 2 Miiverse posts are from NA/EU. Sure hope this doesn't end with region locking communities.
I'm honestly surprised Nintendo even allowed region free communities in the first place. Wouldn't surprise me if they changed that in the near future.

At least it's a direct way to petition, even if a few people are definitely going about it the wrong way (just saying "RELEASE IT WESTWARD NINTENDO" instead of a polite comment plus maybe a drawing)

Davey Cakes

I haven't checked out the Miiverse community yet but honestly, who didn't see this coming? Nintendo probably should have region-locked the Mother 2 community after seeing what happened in the Balloon Fight one. People petitioning the release of Earthbound is something that anyone could have seen from light-years away.

EMT0

Banned
If they didn't want us to post there then they should have region locked it in the first place.
Don't give Nintendo any more ideas now, you hear? Their ninjas are watching and reporting this to Iwata as we speak.

We should do a GAF plays to coincide with this.

And bankrupt half of GAF in the process?

I wish we could, but nowhere near enough people own or have played Earthbound

Tunic

As many others have said before me this needs to be released for NA and Europe. I will continue to have hope...

No matter what ridiculous amount of money the Beatles (and other involved musicians) wanted, I swear NoA could slap up a Kickstarter to pay for the royalties, and most likely end up not having to shell out a cent themselves. Diehards are that crazy for this game.

But to pay them at this point would probably mean admitting infringement in the past, which would make it easy to sue Nintendo for even more.

No matter what ridiculous amount of money the Beatles (and other involved musicians) wanted, I swear NoA could slap up a Kickstarter to pay for the royalties, and most likely end up not having to shell out a cent themselves. Diehards are that crazy for this game.

But to pay them at this point would probably mean admitting infringement in the past, which would make it easy to sue Nintendo for even more.

Would changing that music imply as such too? Not wanting to admit prior infringements in any way is the only legit excuse I can think of for why Earthbound hasn't been released yet.

At least with MOTHER3 it's pretty clear they just don't want to release a game with transvestites, for whatever stupid reason. (Well, that and the lack of any JP re-release to piggyback off of- hopefully that changes soon)

Drago

At least with MOTHER3 it's pretty clear they just don't want to release a game with transvestites, for whatever stupid reason. (Well, that and the lack of any JP re-release to piggyback off of- hopefully that changes soon)

I think the fact that it was a text heavy GBA game released in 2006 was the biggest reason we didn't see it come over. If the game came out in say, 2004, I think we would have seen a 2005 release worldwide. Aside from Japan, Nintendo seemed to be finished with the GBA by 2006 (with many releases in 2005)

Top Bottom