• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motor Rock Steals Assets from Rock 'n' Roll Racing, Releases on Steam

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yesterday Motor Rock released on Steam. The project was previously known as Rock 'n' Roll Racing 3D and was developed by Yard Team, a Russian development company.

Motor Rock uses the same characters, cars, music, and sound clips as the original Rock 'n' Roll Racing.

This is from their website's FAQs:

Question: And with copyright will not have problems? How about Blizzard?
Answer: We haven't received a formal complaints . Playing a non-profit, and it's based on the old brand. Much closer to the game, we will write to the Blizzard, just in case. I hope that we will not closed down.

Question: Will there be a announcer?
Answer: Yes, will be. We took it from the Sega version. Except it will be the new Russian and English language for commentators.

Question: How will spread the game?
Answer: Game will be totally free without additional paid content and with open resources (except for the source code). Game will be available exclusively through the official website. Exit on Steam and other game-distribution services isn't planned.

Examples (Rock 'n' Roll Racing vs Motor Rock)

Tarquinn:
1646312-tarquinn.jpg
kucgjIF.png

Snake:
s5MmcCt.jpg
KdzxoQh.png

I am not sure why this game was allowed to be released on Steam.

Comandr

Pics or it didn't happen.

Edit: it's remarkable how up front they are about it.

Edit 2: Electric Boogaloo: I preferred when Tarquinn looked like Reggie.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Honestly, reading about the details on NeoGAF both surprised me, but also raises a lot of questions. Like a LOT of questions.

I have a sneaking suspicion the developer is shortly going to be learning about Copyright 101.

kulapik

Question: How will spread the game?
Answer: Game will be totally free without additional paid content and with open resources (except for the source code). Game will be available exclusively through the official website. Exit on Steam and other game-distribution services isn't planned.

But it's on Steam... and it costs 6€...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The game also uses the same "chiptuned" audio from the original Rock 'n' Roll racing, which includes songs by Black Sabbath, George Thorogood, Deep Purple, and more. My guess is that the developers did not re-license these songs in any way.

Damaniel

Banned
The Steam forum for the game is awesome. Remember, foks - Rock 'n Roll Racing is abandonware, so stealing assets from it and making a clone is totally OK!
(Hint: no, it isn't)

This game won't last a week on Steam, especially once the fine folks at Blizzard get wind of it.

I thought the game looked very close. I assumed it was a homage, not a full on rip off. I wouldn't count on it being around tomorrow. The Blizzard lawyers are sharpening their sticks as we speak.

jshackles

There is nothing wrong with this. Now if they actually used music or art from the game, that is a different story.

Different countries have different copyright laws. Unfortunately in the US, using a character from a copyrighted work as your own is considered copyright infringement.

I cannot simply make a Mega Man clone staring a character named Mega Man that looks exactly like Capcom's Mega Man and expect to not get sued when selling it.

Damaniel

Banned
There is nothing wrong with this. Now if they actually used music or art from the game, that is a different story.

Supposedly they're using original announcer voice assets and the original music (among other things). Even the music would be OK if they licensed it (though the particular arrangements from the game probably wouldn't be usable), but the voice assets almost certainly aren't theirs to use.

bdouble

No problem with this. copying and recreating something isnt making money off the old product.
They are completely open about it an it looka like a great homage to the old game I loved.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
No problem with this. copying and recreating something isnt making money off the old product.
They are completely open about it an it looka like a great homage to the old game I loved.

They are using assets directly ripped from the original including music they didn't license, all without permission. They are also charging money for this game.

nexen

If we buy a Steam subscription to this and Blizzard goes apeshit and gets it pulled (and they will) what then? Do we get to keep it or will Steam refund and remove?

jshackles

How will spread the game?

And with copyright will not have problems?

If we buy a Steam subscription to this and Blizzard goes apeshit and gets it pulled (and they will) what then? Do we get to keep it or will Steam refund and remove?

Somewhat unknown at this point. There has never been a game pulled from Steam with such blatant copyright infringement. Typically you would be allowed to keep the game forever once it's removed. But it's typically removed at the request of publishers, ironically sometimes due to copyright issues.

Glass Joe

Different countries have different copyright laws. Unfortunately in the US, using a character from a copyrighted work as your own is considered copyright infringement.

I cannot simply make a Mega Man clone staring a character named Mega Man that looks exactly like Capcom's Mega Man and expect to not get sued when selling it.

What's unfortunate about that?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

In the past when games get pulled it stays on your account and you'll have access to it forever.

nexen

In the past when games get pulled it stays on your account and you'll have access to it forever.

Well, sold. Hope it is good, because I love games like this.

Has there been a case like this though? Was that 'Limbo of the Lost' ever sold on steam?

jshackles

What's unfortunate about that?

I guess what I was saying is that it's unfortunate for the developers. Obviously they've put a lot of time and effort into doing this. It probably wouldn't be that big of an issue if they released the game for free like they originally intended.

Deadstar

They are using assets directly ripped from the original including music they didn't license, all without permission. They are also charging money for this game.

Pretty sure they said they sent an email to Blizzard so I'm sure everything is ok.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I really wish I received my copy of Limbo of the Lost. I ordered it right when the story broke, and the retailer took forever to ship it to me and about 3 months later cancelled my order saying they didn't have it in stock.

That said, Motor Rock is on my account now.

jshackles

Other strangeness:

From the store page:
Publisher: None

Also the executable file is called rrr3d.exe

Pretty sure they said they sent an email to Blizzard so I'm sure everything is ok.

If they did, they haven't come out to state that (that I know of). Even if they got Blizzard's "blessing", I doubt that blessing included taking audio assets directly from the Sega game.

Zia

Kind of selfish (because someone, believe it or not, did work hard on this game at one point) but I hope it doesn't make its way back onto Steam in an edited state after being pulled. It's way too ridiculously, kitschy awesome as is.

bronson

Blizzard is gonna be so mad. They have in no way ever ripped off someone else's source material for their games.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Other strangeness:

From the store page:

If they did, they haven't come out to state that (that I know of). Even if they got Blizzard's "blessing", I doubt that blessing included taking audio assets directly from the Sega game.

Now they're just trolling at this point.

Other strangeness:

From the store page:

RED DEAD REDEMPTION PC PORT CONFIRMED. And it's in 3D!

linko9

None of the stuff in the OP is reused assets. That would literally taking an image, song, etc. from the game without changing it. They're making new assets based off the Blizz ones. Still illegal, but title is a bit misleading.

nexen

None of the stuff in the OP is reused assets. That would literally taking an image, song, etc. from the game without changing it. They're making new assets based off the Blizz ones. Still illegal, but title is a bit misleading.

I believe the music tracks are copied.
Also the character name and concept are 'assets' of a sort. They are protected under copyright. Pedantic, but true.

jshackles

Also from the FAQs:

Question: What about music in the game?
Answer: There is all the classic tracks in a modern arrangement. Additional tracks may will not delivered together with an installation kit of game. In game will also be the ability to easily add their own songs.

The original track list is:

• "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath
  • "The Peter Gunn Theme" by Henry Mancini
  • "Highway Star" by Deep Purple
  • "Radar Love" by Golden Earring (only in the Mega Drive/Genesis version)
  • "Born to Be Wild" by Steppenwolf
  • "Bad to the Bone" by George Thorogood
So (if I'm not mistaken), even making new "arrangements" of these classic rock songs without first obtaining permission is considered copyright infringement.

SirCrush

How many of you have even PLAYED Rock n' Roll Racing?

I have such vivid memories of this game as a young one. One of my favorite racers of all time. Like a precursor to Wipeout. Just watched that trailer and got goosebumps. Good shit. I am DLing now :)

nexen

This game is just flat out illegal. No one should buy it.
That will make my copy more rare when it is pulled.

I don't see any problems with the character portraits, as long as they are using original artwork and not ripping it off directly from Blizzard.

But I do remember this project. It did start out as a fan made Rock n' Roll Racing remake that tried to get finding on Indiegogo, but it failed.

Here's the original project page: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/rock-n-roll-racing-3d

You need to read the thread more closely. Plus even if what you said was true, it would still violate copyright. Otherwise we'd be neck deep in indie versions of Sonic, Mario, Megamans, whathaveyous.

SirCrush

I would think that since this started as a free project and is now $7 on Steam, it is highly likely that the cost of licensing the voices and music may have resulted in them charging for it.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions so fast. Perhaps this isn't a shady deal after all, we just don't have all the facts.

Top Bottom