• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorola Confirms foldable Phone, releases January 2020, designed like 2003 Razr flip phone

cryptoadam

Banned
Its the future, just wait for Apple to release one in 1 or 2 years and like the notch everyone will start copying it.

Samsung Fold Z is copying Motorolla. The Phone to Tablet is probably DOA, but the flip phone foldables is going to be the next step.

Grinchy

Banned
I really like the idea of a pocket-sized phone that can unfold into a giant screen. I don't quite understand these newer flip versions, though. They unfold into a normal sized phone and have limited use when not unfolded. What is the point of that?

Woo-Fu

Banned
I really like the idea of a pocket-sized phone that can unfold into a giant screen. I don't quite understand these newer flip versions, though. They unfold into a normal sized phone and have limited use when not unfolded. What is the point of that?
You said it yourself, pocket-sized. If I put a typical smartphone in my front pocket I'm either destroying a phone or my nuts, flip a coin. If I put it in a back pocket I'm gonna forget about it and sit on it.

A flip like this I could put in my front pocket safely while still having a decent-sized screen when it is open.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
You said it yourself, pocket-sized. If I put a typical smartphone in my front pocket I'm either destroying a phone or my nuts, flip a coin. If I put it in a back pocket I'm gonna forget about it and sit on it.

A flip like this I could put in my front pocket safely while still having a decent-sized screen when it is open.
I have a S10+ and consider that pocket-sized already. I could go way bigger, even. Is it a skinny jeans thing? I'm old enough that I don't wear skin-tight pants, so that could be why :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Woo-Fu

Banned
I have a S10+ and consider that pocket-sized already. I could go way bigger, even. Is it a skinny jeans thing? I'm old enough that I don't wear skin-tight pants, so that could be why :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Nah, I wear loose fit. If I sit down with a fullsize smartphone in my front pocket I'm going to injure myself.

Same here. I'm 6'9" so my pants size and my hand size is obviously bigger than most. I too have an s10+ and could deal with a bigger phone no problem.

Grinchy

Banned
Same here. I'm 6'9" so my pants size and my hand size is obviously bigger than most. I too have an s10+ and could deal with a bigger phone no problem.
6'9? God damn! I'm only 6'2 so maybe height has something to do with it. I wished the phone was bigger right away, so for you this thing must feel like

rMPJ1jJl.jpg

Last edited:

eot

Banned

Rigidly attaching both ends of the phone in a machine to fold it is fucking stupid, as shown by how they need to adjust it several times because it won't fold. Just because they find a configuration of their clamps where it does fold does not mean that they're not stressing the thing in an unnatural way while doing so. Amateur hour at CNET, not big surprise

Grinchy

Banned
Look at this amazing Huawei foldable phone we will apparently never get:

This thing is fucking awesome and is just what I want from a foldable phone.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
For me, I only ever use my phone for music, web browsing, and phone calls. If I could get the quality of an iPhone Pro Max screen with a foldable, smaller form factor - I would be happy.

Fbh

Seems very gimmicky. The idea of a foldable phone, at least to me, is to get a substantially bigger screen that you can fold and put in your pocket. This doesn't look that much bigger than a regular phone when unfolded, and I've never had any issue fitting a regular phone in my pocket.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Seems very gimmicky. The idea of a foldable phone, at least to me, is to get a substantially bigger screen that you can fold and put in your pocket. This doesn't look that much bigger than a regular phone when unfolded, and I've never had any issue fitting a regular phone in my pocket.

I think both can exist. Some want smaller form factors, some want larger screens. Why not cater to both crowds?

womfalcs3

Banned
Sucks for Motorola (luckily Google sold it to Lenovo, so sucks for Lonovo). The new Razr is less powerful (worse CPU and lower RAM), has a smaller screen, worse material for the screen, lower-resolution camera, AND more expensive than a Galaxy Z.

Last edited:

Cleared_Hot

Its the future, just wait for Apple to release one in 1 or 2 years and like the notch everyone will start copying it.

Samsung Fold Z is copying Motorolla. The Phone to Tablet is probably DOA, but the flip phone foldables is going to be the next step.

Damn that looks better than razr

Top Bottom