• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorsport.com’s Interview: Gran Turismo founder on his mission to save motor racing

ethomaz

Banned

As its latest incarnation GT Sport continues to introduce a new generation of fans to racing, the importance of the game in the bigger motorsport landscape should not be underestimated.

For with Esports on the march as more and more people get drawn to online racing and arena competitions, sim racing has moved away from the domain of teenagers in dark bedrooms to now becoming big business.

Gran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi goes further than that though. He has absolutely no doubt that the effort and focus he and his Polyphony Digital studio have made to position Gran Turismo and sim racing in the spotlight is an important crusade in actually saving motorsport.

Pretty good interview if you ask me... he talks a bit about the motorsport actual moment and why he chooses to envolve Gran Turismo as Gran Turismo Sport.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Oh my god I read it Motorstorm .. I almost cried with joy but it turned out Motorsport

mQYjzCi.jpg

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
My only gripe with GT Sport is not being able to save offline

If they fix this in the next game, along with more content at launch then they're good

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I think Gran Turismo 7 will look better than Forza 8

I wish they made an open world GT though like Forza Horizon 3

Sony would rake in the money $$$

xrnzaaas

Gold Member

They had that chance with Evo Studios. They could've made a Gran Turismo arcade spin-off, Forza Horizon series was already on the rise back in 2016 so it would've been a smart decision.

DiscoJer

I wish MS would make Forza Horizon have an actual open world map, not a dinky 50 square mile (maybe 7 x 7 miles square) map. I miss Test Drive Unlimited where it would take 45 minut4es to drive from one side of the island to the other, not the 5 minutes in FH4

Inviusx

GT Sport is awesome, I still play almost every week.

That being said I hope they don't lose sight of the casual fans with GT7. The Sport aspect of GTS turned a lot of fans away from the series. If GT7 incorporates the old school car collecting loop of older GTs plus the the new sport angle it will be a massive hit.

ethomaz

Banned
"save motoracing"

And yet you gave us game nobody asked for like gt sport

Just shut up about it and make a proper gt game next time
GTS is a very successful release.
Maybe you don’t like it but tons like.
It already crossed 10 million profiles.

BTW it is a proper GT game.... better and more polished than any previous GT game.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
"save motoracing"

And yet you gave us game nobody asked for like gt sport

Just shut up about it and make a proper gt game next time

Way to miss the point.

Motor racing is a dying sport because it is prohibitively expensive at the amateur/lower ranks. Getting your racing license, while still expensive, is doable for a lot of people who are interested (I've done it) but anything further than that requires significant funding. The latter is what killed my enthusiasm for the sport when I relised that money is more important than talent in this "sport" (it's also institutionally racist to the core). Right now its an aging talent pool that is shrinking year by year.

To say nobody asked for it is bollox, the FIA are asking a lot of racing developers for similar levels of commitment towards eSports and organised competition to take steps towards remedying the problem and to keep them as an organisation going in the future long after regulations and tree huggers have killed off many of the currently available racing series. The relationship they and other racing teams have with games like GT Sport going forward is seen as very important.

The whole reason GT Academy came about was to give people who don't have the money the opportunity to get noticed and hired by professional racing teams, GT Sport is simply a continuation of that. I agree that along the way they lost a lot of the more casual GT fans who aren't deeply interested in the competitive side of things but what games like GT, Raceroom (super racer) , iRacing (Mclaren Shadow), Forza Motorsport (Mclaren Shadow), rFactor (Mclaren Shaow) are doing is very important for the future of Motorsport talent. We will see a lot of people coming through and becoming real racing drivers from those and other eSports competitions in the future.

In a perfect scenario the next GT game builds on the platform that Sport built along with offering a separate single player mode that appeases fans of classic GT games. The reality is that if the sport as a whole dies then games like GT, Forza Motorsport, iRacing, etc go with it. Having fleshed out competitive sides of these games are what will keep the flame alive, especially for the younger generations whose parents can't afford to take them karting year after year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom