• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorsport Manager (PC/Mac/Linux) |OT| "Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing!"

DBT85

New patch on StarWars day.

We are happy to announce a big update to Motorsport Manager as an early Christmas present.
The ‘Everyone’s a Winner’ update includes the all-new 2D mode, letting players switch instantly between the 2D and 3D visual of the race.

The 2D mode will also enable lower spec laptops and desktops to run the game by changing the full 3D race engine for a less graphically intensive overhead view.

We have been listening closely to the community and have also included a number of bug fixes based on your feedback - yes this includes blue flag fixes.

‘Everyone’s a Winner’ is a free update and will download automatically from 15th December.

But that is not all, we can also reveal that Steam Workshop will go live in February 2017! We’re working hard on making sure that players can create, manage and search for exciting user-generated content, opening up the game to the community.

Patch Notes:

- Fixed an issue where some teams would pick too many risky parts

- Fixed an issue where too many cars would run out of fuel before the end of a race

- Improved AI pit strategies

- Fixed an issue where a significant number of cars would break down near the end of the race

- Blue flags no longer slow cars down but they do move out of the way

- Fix to database importing on Linux machines without en-US locale installed

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
New patch on StarWars day.

That's nice to see. Here's the updated min spec when that patch is out:

Updated minimum spec:

Windows
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.5 GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: nVIDIA GT 335M, 512MB or AMD Radeon HD 4670, 512MB or Intel HD 4000 series
DirectX: Version 10.1
Hard Drive: 16 GB available space

Mac OS X
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M or AMD Radeon HD 4670, 512MB or Intel HD 4000 series
Hard Drive: 16 GB available space

Linux
Graphics: nVIDIA GT 335M, 512MB or AMD Radeon HD 4670, 512MB or Intel HD 4000 series
Storage: 16 GB available space

Berto

Oh man... this 2nd GP2 season has been a complete trainwreck :( A 4th, a 5th, an 8th and 2 DNF... I'm pouring money to new parts, I now have several tier 3 named "great" parts but looks like i'm always playing catch up. I'll try to improve all these parts for next year's car, but seems more likely that i'll be fired :'(

DD

Oh man... this 2nd GP2 season has been a complete trainwreck :( A 4th, a 5th, an 8th and 2 DNF... I'm pouring money to new parts, I now have several tier 3 named "great" parts but looks like i'm always playing catch up. I'll try to improve all these parts for next year's car, but seems more likely that i'll be fired :'(

Maybe the problem is with your drivers.

Berto

Maybe the problem is with your drivers.
Yeah they're not great at all (just 3 stars) and I can only afford to give my #1 driver (Antonov) a decent car. He is terrible at overtaking but he is a pretty decent pace setter when he has clear air, plus he was GP3 champion so i'm not confortable dumping him for an expensive driver :D

Edit: And I was fired :D I'm glad I was to be honest. This was getting too depressing for me, I was deep into Mclaren Simulator 2016. So much money spent on so many good parts, so much time spent improving them to 100% but my car kept getting worse. The few miserable ponts I got was solely due to very agressive pit strategies and luck.

Most of the weekends were basically the same, my #1 driver would never qualify above 12th and on the race he was always stuck behing the fastest car of the second half of the grid (around 10th), my driver was simply unable to overtake, sometimes spending up to 10 laps behind someone. Of course he would get passed by the guys behind him, one by one :D So to counter that I had to use very agressive strategies, pitting very early in the first stint to have clear air during the 2nd one. Sometimes it worked (6 points halfway the season) most of the times it didn't.

I think i'll stop playing for now, honestly I don't fell in control of the game and i'm not good enough. I have no ideia how to improve and thats really not that fun :(

DD

Oh, I'm finally having a dominant season with MRT Valbuena on the Asian championship. My driver won the drivers championship last season, and now I'm leading the drivers and constructors championship with more than double the points away from the second place. I probably could have done the same last season (perhaps not so dominantly) if my second driver wasn't so weak. I sticked with her for years because of her potential, but she was dragging me back, so I had to find another one.

DD

Well, yesterday I finally won the teams championship and went up to the main division. I had to fire one of my drivers to get a better one, but after the first race he was
abducted by aliens (HAHAHAHA!)
and his stats fell a bit. I hope this is temporary. xD

neshcom

Banned
Well, yesterday I finally won the teams championship and went up to the main division. I had to fire one of my drivers to get a better one, but after the first race he was
abducted by aliens (HAHAHAHA!)
and his stats fell a bit. I hope this is temporary. xD

Oh wow!

I had a driver that got interested in a cult, which was a minor debuff. After a few months, he full-on joined! It was a bigger debuff on everything and I think it affected his marketability :(

DD

Oh wow!

I had a driver that got interested in a cult, which was a minor debuff. After a few months, he full-on joined! It was a bigger debuff on everything and I think it affected his marketability :(

Hahaha, damn! I wouldn't mind so much if it was on the last season, but now on the upper league things are though.

DD

After 100 hours, I've finally won the drivers and teams championship on the top series. Very fun game, but it's time to play another thing. :3

KdotIX

Not been into this for a while, but hopefully some nice mods on the Steam workshop can get me hooked again. I was playing the F1 2016 mod before, that was good but had a few bugs in it.

What would be nice is a easy way to edit liveries and create your custom race series with your own sets of rules etc.

Any word on what the Workshop stuff actually adds? Have they released some form of dev tools with it?

FYI - The modder (Enzoli) who created the F1 2016 mod is in the process of creating an F1 2017 mod with all the latest line-ups/liveries/sponsors etc. Hopefully that will release soon

Full patch notes:

We have a big update available for you, and a competition to announce!

There is an all-new patch available to download now which includes Steam Workshop. The inclusion of Steam Workshop creates an all new Motorsport Manager experience and we are giving users the freedom to create and share innovative content.

To celebrate its launch, we're inviting you guys to get your creative juices flowing. We'd like you to design your own car livery and our favourite will become an official part of the game as well as having the designer themselves placed into the game as a driver.

Not only that, we will award the winner a cash prize of £1,000. We're looking for imagination and inventiveness so be as creative as you can and upload your work to Steam Workshop.

Once you've created your masterpiece, you will need to email screenshots to: social@motorsportmanager.com along with your Steam ID.

We will contact winners directly via Steam. T&Cs apply, click here[steamcommunity.com].

There is a breakdown of patch 1.23 notes below:

Added Steam Workshop functionality.
A team's fan base will now increase when that team is performing better than expected.
AI cars that have experienced a part failure mid race will now correctly return to their garage.
Drivers that should perform better when pushing for the lead will now correctly experience a boost.
Fix to unlocalised driver personality traits.
AI cars now make smarter decisions on when to pit to fix a part.
AI cars now scale their pit strategy lap calculations based on the player's selected race distance length.

Since it's currently on sale, do you suggest the game for someone interested in the managerial/simulation aspects but doesn't know shit about F1? I've read that's more approachable than Football Manager

Since it's currently on sale, do you suggest the game for someone interested in the managerial/simulation aspects but doesn't know shit about F1? I've read that's more approachable than Football Manager
Absolutely. I am a huge F1 nerd, but I can't say my knowledge was all that helpful let alone necessary. On top of that, the first 2 hours should be enough to make a judgement yourself, so steam refund has you covered too.

XiaNaphryz

http://steamcommunity.com/app/415200/discussions/1/133257324790772468/

On Friday 22nd March a physical edition of Motorsport Manager will launch for PC, Mac and Linux, in a limited number of territories*. The boxed version will include all DLC that has been released to-date, together with the latest piece of DLC being announced today - the all-new GT Series!

The GT Series DLC will be ready to download on Wednesday 22nd February for £5.99/$7.99/€7.99. The GT Series expands the world of Motorsport Manager by adding the thrilling new challenge of managing a closed-wheel racing team. Managers can fight it out in two series, the proving ground that is the GT Challenger Series before stepping up to the prestigious International GT Championship. Both championships will be populated with new teams, drivers and staff.

On Wednesday 22nd February there will also be free DLC that allows players to Create Your Own Team. The player will be able to customise their team colours, name, logo and uniform. The update gives the player greater control by allowing them to create and personalise their very own team, and to be their own chairman. And did we mention it's free?

Players will need to visit the Motorsport Manager Steam Store page to download the new pieces of content. We’ll also be delivering Patch 1.3 that will be automatically downloaded to all players of the game, that will deliver a range of much-requested balancing and stability fixes.

Mark next Wednesday in your calendar. It's a big one.

* Physical edition will be available in the UK, Germany, Spain, Portugal, France, Nordics, Australia, Poland, Hungary and Benelux.

DBT85

So they put this pic on their facebook feed. Maybe someone is working on something Feisar related?

17201023_1728239247189937_215520548557748489_n.jpg

dejan

The full game is currently free to play on Steam until Monday. I've just finished my first race day and I must say as far as manager game tutorials go, this one's pretty good. Next goal: build a better 1.6 litre V6 turbo engine than Honda. Seems easy enough.

AcridMeat

Banned
Have played a ton of this because of the free week.

I'm completely ass at race strategies. I qualify highly with Lipponen (Windsor) and he always drops a few places.

Meanwhile my old ass #2 qualifies 7th and 10th and gets back to back 3rds. :/

edit: Nevermind I'm the besssst.

AcridMeat

Banned
Bought the game, have played way too much of it. Won the constructor's and driver's in my second season with Windsor, though pretty much every race I was starting around 5th and had to manage my ass off race day. Now I have a shit car for the next season (forgot to invest more money for the next car) and they expect 1st in constructor's.

So I decided to start a team from scratch in the lowest division. That's a complete shitshow hahaha.

Anyone buy the DLC? Is it worth it? Or should I just get the mod.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
I bought this during the sale and immediately started a new team in the lowest tier championship. First season ended predictably in last place, but I replaced all the drivers and staff. I have 2 Chinese drivers both with the wonderkind perk so they could potentially become 4.5+ star drivers. I also snatched a 3.5 star designer but her known components only decrease build time. My factory was upgraded to level 2. I voted to introduce spec engines in the following season to reduce costs to myself.

Season 2 ended much better as I got the team into 3rd place in the championship despite having the 9th best car. But, that was due to running the reserve driver in the last 3 races to take advantage of the last place starts on pole rule. My other driver was a midfielder. I built the telemetry centre at the hq. I'm still ending the season about 3 million Euros in the red.

With a goal of repeating te 3rd place in the championship, I'm at the 6th race out of 11 on season 3, currently 1st in the team championship and ahead by about 30 points. I still have the second worst car on the grid so I don't know if I'm just lucking out or if my drivers (currently at 2.5 and 3 stars) are carrying the team. I upgraded the design centre which have sunk me to about 1 million in the red.

What is a good amount of money to be finishing the season with? If I do end up winning the championship should I accept the promotion to tier 2? I also have no idea what building I should construct next. Also, my contracts with the two drivers end this year and I'm certain both of them would want much more pay and want number 1 status.

GKB

What is a good amount of money to be finishing the season with? If I do end up winning the championship should I accept the promotion to tier 2? I also have no idea what building I should construct next. Also, my contracts with the two drivers end this year and I'm certain both of them would want much more pay and want number 1 status.

In tier 3, you need around 15 million to build a good chassis. Another 5 million to pay for upgrades offer you get from your engineer through e-mail.

Higher pay for the driver is okay, as long as the driver can meet your goal/sponsor expectations. A great driver can drag a weaker car up the grid.

If if were you, i wouldn't accept the promotion and stay in the lower league a little longer instead. It's more difficult to make money in higher tier, especially if you don't have a good car. Invest in your HQ first. If you're certain you can compete, then you can move up.

Also, read the tier 2 rules, they may use stock parts. You can plan your HQ around that. Factory is a good choice, speeds up car repair and improvement. This is especially valuable at the start of the season where most of your parts probably have low durability. Other than that, the helipad is a must, coupled with high drivers marketability, you can get high paying sponsors.

Speaking of new season, your best parts are carried over to the next season, just the base performance though, without the improvement.

DBT85

When I finally got a chance at promotion i rejected it. Since id been making banned parts like mad, the car for next year was already way better than anyone in my league, so I used all the money from the next season to upgrade facilities ready for the eventual move up which came the next year as I won the championship again.

FrankCanada97

In that case I'll stick around tier 3 for at least 2 more seasons. I hope voting for high merit payoffs won't bite me later. I'm losing just over 1 million per race right now and I don't know if that is too much. The two drivers I have right now are 1st and 3rd in the driver championship, if they both want number 1 status for their new contract would they reject equal status offers? If I am unable to retain both, who should I prioritize more? One is at 2 stars but is cheaper and more marketable and the other is at 3 stars with slightly higher potential. I also have to laugh at the fact that my team is more Chinese than Dragon Racing Team China.

When I finally got a chance at promotion i rejected it. Since id been making banned parts like mad, the car for next year was already way better than anyone in my league, so I used all the money from the next season to upgrade facilities ready for the eventual move up which came the next year as I won the championship again.

I already blew my design budget making middling but no risk race parts, guess I'll be getting another 9th best car next season. What performance level should the parts be at this point in time? Right now, my parts are around 230.

DBT85

I already blew my design budget making middling but no risk race parts, guess I'll be getting another 9th best car next season. What performance level should the parts be at this point in time? Right now, my parts are around 230.

Its been a while since I played, but toward the end of the season only make very high risk parts. While you can't use them yet, next season they'll not be illegal and you;ll get to use them and that would typically give you a big boost in that area and a great starting point for that years parts.

As to what level the parts should be at. I can;t recall but it also depends on rule changes and stuff. My post earlier in the thread about my exploits had some numbers in I think.

AcridMeat

Banned
So I've been on my new team grind, finished the debut season in 10th place, but invested max money into next year's car.

Just finished season 2 and I was on top of the driver's and constructor's pretty much all season (and my #1 and #2 were separated by 1 point going into the last race) even though I had the 10th best car on the grid. I have the 9th best drivers so I really don't know how the hell I managed that. Only positive was that I finished every race with both cars, but I did that last season and came 10th.

Anyway I was bleeding money out of my ass, anywhere from 800k-1.5 million per race depending on sponsors/goals met. Have 5.1 million left in the bank before the winnings and the 10 million saved for the car, it's gonna be interesting because I need/want to upgrade one driver and mechanic.

I'd love to replace both drivers but the reigning champion perk is prettty fucking good.

FrankCanada97

So I've been on my new team grind, finished the debut season in 10th place, but invested max money into next year's car.

Just finished season 2 and I was on top of the driver's and constructor's pretty much all season (and my #1 and #2 were separated by 1 point going into the last race) even though I had the 10th best car on the grid. I have the 9th best drivers so I really don't know how the hell I managed that. Only positive was that I finished every race with both cars, but I did that last season and came 10th.

Anyway I was bleeding money out of my ass, anywhere from 800k-1.5 million per race depending on sponsors/goals met. Have 5.1 million left in the bank before the winnings and the 10 million saved for the car, it's gonna be interesting because I need/want to upgrade one driver and mechanic.

I'd love to replace both drivers but the reigning champion perk is prettty fucking good.
You're doing better than me, I can't even finish a season without going into the red before the end of season payouts.

AcridMeat

Banned
You're doing better than me, I can't even finish a season without going into the red before the end of season payouts.
I declined promotion and I'm regretting it pretty hard. This new car is terrible at tire deg, even though the heating is really good, so I can't even run push strats effectively.

Also the dumbasses in my league approved a vote to make end of season winnings the same, regardless of where you finish, my team expects me to finish 1st. Oof it's a tough one. I really hope I manage to get first in constructor's again so I can promote out of this shit league. I forgot that no staff wants to join me so I'm stuck with my designer and mechanics, but I did sign a marketable wonderkid at least.

FrankCanada97

I declined promotion and I'm regretting it pretty hard. This new car is terrible at tire deg, even though the heating is really good, so I can't even run push strats effectively.

Also the dumbasses in my league approved a vote to make end of season winnings the same, regardless of where you finish, my team expects me to finish 1st. Oof it's a tough one. I really hope I manage to get first in constructor's again so I can promote out of this shit league. I forgot that no staff wants to join me so I'm stuck with my designer and mechanics, but I did sign a marketable wonderkid at least.

I'm on the verge of winning the team championship but I don't know if I want to be promoted because I don't think I'll have a budget to not finish last in Tier 2. My championship voted for high merit based payouts so hopefully I'll win again next season and get a bigger budget. Just out of curiosity, is your wonderkid driver you signed Chinese?

DBT85

Nothing wrong with bring in the red. I seem to recall being in it for most of the races I entered. Though I was largely making money each race and then spunking it on parts.

AcridMeat

Banned
Just out of curiosity, is your wonderkid driver you signed Chinese?
Yep, but there's a couple wonderkids around 2 stars that are Chinese. I also upgraded my scouting to get access to a group of more free agent drivers. While good, they were all too expensive. Well, I almost went with one who was a pay driver, but they weren't marketable. So despite being 4 star, I went with the 2 star wonderkid because I'll probably have more money made in the long run from them.

I do wish they had drivers and staff randomly generated if you decide to, because I can see doing multiple fresh careers becoming boring since it's the same each time. One of the most challenging aspects has been compromising my staff and scouting, and for it to be the same each time is disappointing.

I also really freaking wish there was a way to filter people by those open to talking to you, and mark ones as "shortlist" on top of favorites.

XiaNaphryz

I do wish they had drivers and staff randomly generated if you decide to, because I can see doing multiple fresh careers becoming boring since it's the same each time. One of the most challenging aspects has been compromising my staff and scouting, and for it to be the same each time is disappointing.

If there's not already a mod for randomizing stuff like this, I'm sure there will be eventually.

FrankCanada97

Speaking of randomized drivers, do new drivers generate as all the original ones retire? Let's say it's the year 2075, would all the drivers at that time be randomly generated or do they repeat?

I clinched the driver's and team championship at the end of season 3 and decided to be promoted into tier 2. I should have checked the rules because I thought they still had spec engines and scored points down to 10th. Instead, there are no spec parts and they score down to 6th. I didn't end up re-signing anyone save for one race engineer. Drivers and staff with 2.5 stars weren't going to cut it anymore. I managed to sign 2 pay drivers with 3 stars potentially becoming 4+. The second pay driver I found using a newly built scouting centre. However my marketability dropped to 53% overall leaving me with only 3 star sponsors to look forward to for next 2 years. I have two race engineers with the 50% faster refuelling perk which really helps in gaining positions during pit cycles. I had barely money to build an okay chassis, emphasizing improvabilty over anything else. After preseason testing, the chairman expected a 5th place finish. I chose a more realistic 8th place goal.

After 3 races of 14 (I also didn't notice they added 2 new tracks to the schedule), I am sitting 3rd in the team's championship. The first race I got lucky with some rain when no other teams went for inters in the middle stint resulting in a 2-3 finish. I narrowly missed out on points in the second race and got a 2nd place result in the third race. I don't expect this form to continue as I am still losing about 800k a race (with bonuses) and qualifying is a weakness. I am going to introduce a vote to make something spec to reduce costs or maybe randomize starting grids because it's free for me and I banked a lot of voting power.

AcridMeat

Banned
Nice FrankCanada, sounds like a successful bid. I'm glad you did go up so I can read what the experience is like, I'm still regretting not going up when I had the chance.

I ended up finishing 3rd in constructor's in my 3rd season, they told me I'd be fired but nothing happened so I don't know if that's a complete lie. I was 2nd going into the final race, developed a part just for that race to give my boys the best chance of winning (we were down by I think 4 points total?) but then had a shit race.

So, another off season of not being able to sign any better staff or designer, but I got two new drivers and I'm actually feeling pretty positive about the season.

The American was already 2 1/2 stars by the first race, so improving like crazy. The reserve is a pay driver so I'm basically paying $0 for her and she's decently marketable. My team now has 4 star sponsors which is awesome, so I'm feeling pretty pleased. The car is still garbage, but not as garbage as last year's, and everyone voted for another spec part, so you can only develop gearboxes and brakes now.

FrankCanada97

I might end up regretting getting promoted anyways. I'm estimating ending the season 8-10 million in the red depending on whether I hit race bonuses or not. Already blew the budget on designing new parts and constructing a new building for HQ. My car is still 9th best but at least my engine is 3rd best (for now). I could dial back spending on next year's car, but I don't want to handicap myself with a potentially worse car. I hope the tier 2 prize payouts are big.

DBT85

I might end up regretting getting promoted anyways. I'm estimating ending the season 8-10 million in the red depending on whether I hit race bonuses or not. Already blew the budget on designing new parts and constructing a new building for HQ. My car is still 9th best but at least my engine is 3rd best (for now). I could dial back spending on next year's car, but I don't want to handicap myself with a potentially worse car. I hope the tier 2 prize payouts are big.

Unless something changes since I last played, once you get to 5m in the red you're out th door. Dial back the spending on the car if you want to stay in the team.

FrankCanada97

Unless something changes since I last played, once you get to 5m in the red you're out th door. Dial back the spending on the car if you want to stay in the team.
Darn, going to do that right away then. Guess next year I'll hold off on building up HQ in order to build some bank.

I am getting the physical edition of this game from a giveaway and I have to tell which platform do I want it for. Does anyone know if the physical edition comes with a digital code? If it doesn't, how will I play this game on laptops which don't have a CD drive.

Also the thing is I have a old Windows 10 laptop right now which will certainly not be able to run this game. I have to replace that laptop soon with a new one but I don't know which OS I'd be going for (Windows/Mac/Linux). I also have a Macbook Pro but that is only for temporary use. That is my dilemma: I have no clue which platform I should get it for. Can you guys help me out.

It's a steamworks game, so no matter what you buy should end up with a key for steam. And those are for all available platforms anyway, so you don't have to decide.

It's a steamworks game, so no matter what you buy should end up with a key for steam. And those are for all available platforms anyway, so you don't have to decide.

Thanks for your response.

So can I for example get a box set for Linux, use the code on it to play the game on my temporary Macbook Pro and when I finally buy a new laptop (whatever OS I use), just log in, download the game again(it'll be linked to my steam account right) and play it.

Sorry about the noob questions, I am a DS/3DS gamer and don't really play on my PC because its really old.

Top Bottom