• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorsports |OT| of Endurance Racing, Nascar, Rally, Sportscars, MotoGP, etc

Mastah

And we have 9th different winner in MotoGP. Super happy for Dovi and it was quite fun race too, until they all started to crash and make mistakes.

TJP

And we have 9th different winner in MotoGP. Super happy for Dovi and it was quite fun race too, until they all started to crash and make mistakes.
Yep, he kept his head when others didn't.

I got annoyed with the official commentary team team blathering about Lorenzo's "lucky" podium and a second later commending Loris Baz who was at that stage fourth! Anyone who remains rubber side up when others don't deserve their finishing positions.

My case of course is weakened when Lorenzo was interviewed and his first words wrwe "I was lucky" 8)

Damn, they already have a car designed and everything. Those fines are biting. Bit surprised they can't offload the cars to Prodrive who could run them unofficially though I suppose sponsorship doesn't grow on trees any more.

xrnzaaas

Man VAG is really going green after dieselgate. :/

Ogier and Mikkelsen imo would be great additions to any team. Latvala - not so much.

TJP

It appears the WTCC is heading for the scrap heap soon. RaceRoom will have the 2016 series but I fear it may be the last release we'll see.

It appears the TCR series has the right forumla as they have 36 cars for the Macau GP at the end of the year with lots of manufacturers onboard.

I'm not surprised to read the person in charge of the TCR used to run WTCC back in its halcyon years.

DD

It appears the WTCC is heading for the scrap heap soon. RaceRoom will have the 2016 series but I fear it may be the last release we'll see.

It appears the TCR series has the right forumla as they have 36 cars for the Macau GP at the end of the year with lots of manufacturers onboard.

I'm not surprised to read the person in charge of the TCR used to run WTCC back in its halcyon years.

I actually think that WTCC is a very interesting product. I mean, the cars look good, the circuits they race are great (Nordschleife, ffs!), the races are short (good for TV), etc. I wonder what is the problem with it, cuz probably there's one. I've read somewhere that the current regulations made things more expensive, but there's probably more... =/

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The PC version of Motorsport Manager comes out later this week.

RPS review - https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/11/07/motorsport-manager-review-pc/

Sure, your drivers will punch above their weight from time to time, but most of the work is done before a race begins. Whether you’re fine-tuning the balance of a car during practice laps, building new parts to improve a crucial component, or hiring staff to work with drivers and their vehicles, the ultimate goal is to put the best possible person in the best possible car on the day of a race. Achieving that goal will take you down a long, hard road.

One of Motorsport Manager’s best features is the changing nature of those rules though, and the way that you can influence them to make as uneven a playing field as possible. There are loads of different regulations for each of the three racing divisions and at the end of a season, you can exert influence to try and have them changed to suit your style, your drivers, and your designs, Whether that means locking down parts so they can’t be custom-built, or changing rules around refueling or qualification.

Just as when designing new parts for your cars, with one eye on the demands of upcoming tracks, mucking about with the rules is all about giving your particular set of tools the greatest possible chance of victory. And that’s the heart of Motorsport Manager; it’s a game about understanding the strengths and weaknesses of your team, and deciding whether to bolster the strengths and hide the weaknesses, or to create something more balanced.

Three seasons in, I’m still terrible. When I notice every other car slipping into the pits and realise I probably should have done the same, I panic. Even though races don’t demand constant attention, with speed controls and the ability to pause at any time, the fact that there are usually only three or four major decisions spread across the entire event magnifies the importance of every click. When a driver starts swearing over the radio and expressing concern that you’re not looking out for him/her – that’s a rotten feeling.

Motorsport Manager is all about numbers, and they’re displayed explicitly, but there’s plenty of character in the personalities of your crew. Most drivers are easy to handle but sometimes egos get in the way of a good race strategy and it’s even possible to cause upsets when allocating newly designed parts. Favouritism doesn’t go down well.

I’m unlikely to be hooked on Motorsport Manager for the rest of the year, as will be the case with Football Manager, but that’s mostly because I don’t particularly care for real life racing. It’s far from impenetrable if you don’t understand the sport itself though and the pit stops are a more immediately responsive tactical instruction than anything in Football Manager, which gives a good sense of direct control. Success is hard-won, a process of long hours developing headquarters and parts, as well as finding the right staff, but failure can be the result of a momentary loss of control or courage.

It’s a tough game, in which I often feel like I’m grinding my way toward the top rather than discovering brilliant new tactics or innovative strategies. That makes me feel a little distant from my team, and makes this a game to play while burning through podcasts in the background rather than to focus all of my attention on, but I’m enjoying the challenge. I feel like I earn my victories and the disasters are usually my fault as well. It’s hard to escape the sense that I’m always reacting, whether to the weather or the placement of a particular track on the calendar, rather than creating a team with an identity of my own choosing. Maybe that’s because I’m a terrible Motorsport Manager, but I think it might just be part of the job.

XeUyT1V.jpg

Ay4jaA0.jpg

2YmWGe3.jpg

tHPdIyR.jpg

EGik2iX.jpg

wIm4Na7.jpg

p5XAW4i.jpg

zFryuob.jpg

dubc35

I played a decent amount of it on mobile a couple years ago. It got to a point where I would just go at a reduced pace and pit once less than the AI and win or podium most races. It was fun until I got to that point then it was kind of meh; lift and coast kind of thing...like modern F1 lol.

XiaNaphryz

I played a decent amount of it on mobile a couple years ago. It got to a point where I would just go at a reduced pace and pit once less than the AI and win or podium most races. It was fun until I got to that point then it was kind of meh; lift and coast kind of thing...like modern F1 lol.

Yeah, the mobile version was pretty fun. Looks like the PC release will let you dive even more in-depth with the car setups.

xrnzaaas

Oooohhh very interesting :) Last time I wanted to play an F1 manager was when Codemasters was planning to do it, but that project has failed unfortunately.

B.K.

Apparently Monster Energy is a finalist to replace Sprint as the Cup Series title sponsor. I hope not. Monster Energy Cup Series would be an awful name.

I'm confused by that... because at no point does he get past the car in front of him, even upside down.

Edit - Oh, I see, he won because he caused the race to be stopped and he was leading the last full lap.

xrnzaaas

WRC 2017 cars will have ugly butts. At least they look more aggressive. Also it'll be interesting to see what Ogier can do in an "underdog" M-Sport Fiesta.

012aaqj.jpg

025mljx.jpg

03bhbt8.jpg

04ykx4h.jpg

XiaNaphryz

The next big Motorsport Manager patch will provide a 2D mode, so those of you with lower spec systems/laptops can play!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/415200/discussions/1/1842367319523994711/

We are happy to announce a big update to Motorsport Manager as an early Christmas present.

The ‘Everyone’s a Winner’ update includes the all-new 2D mode, letting players switch instantly between the 2D and 3D visual of the race.

The 2D mode will also enable lower spec laptops and desktops to run the game by changing the full 3D race engine for a less graphically intensive overhead view.

Updated minimum spec:

Windows
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.5 GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: nVIDIA GT 335M, 512MB or AMD Radeon HD 4670, 512MB or Intel HD 4000 series
DirectX: Version 10.1
Hard Drive: 16 GB available space

Mac OS X
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M or AMD Radeon HD 4670, 512MB or Intel HD 4000 series
Hard Drive: 16 GB available space

Linux
Graphics: nVIDIA GT 335M, 512MB or AMD Radeon HD 4670, 512MB or Intel HD 4000 series
Storage: 16 GB available space

Also, Steam Workshop support coming in February.

We can also reveal that Steam Workshop will go live in February 2017. We’re working hard on making sure that players can create, manage and search for exciting user-generated content, opening up the game to the community.

Will F1 end up trying ot shutdown the real life mods of this one like they've done to other games in the past?

dubc35

That almost gives me Suzuki Escudo vibes.
Yeah these are pretty aggressive. I wish they would more resemble their road going counterparts but oh well. I've fallen out of following the WRC for the last couple years. I always watch some of Rally Monte Carlo so we'll see next year.

I wonder, for the future of WRC cars, if we'll be reaching the sort of ludicrous power and especially acceleration numbers the Group B were hitting, and we start back at square one.

Red Bull TV to broadcast live WRC in 2017

- Live action from WRC stages every Saturday – as well as dedicated highlights programmes every Friday, Saturday and Sunday

- Viewers can get their fill of the high-octane action for free at Redbull.tv or via the Red Bull TV app

- Former F1 and Le Mans star Mark Webber first in a series of high-profile guest presenters

All of the programmes will be free-to-air, and will include dedicated 20 to 30-minute highlights shows on the Friday and Saturday evenings of WRC events direct from the service park and a 30-40 minute Sunday evening wrap.

In a groundbreaking new introduction, there will also be a 75-minute Saturday midday special featuring a live stage. This will enable viewers to enjoy unprecedented levels of exhilarating footage as they follow the action in real time from both inside and outside the cars, from the snow-lined speed tests of Monte-Carlo and Sweden to the high-altitude elevation of Mexico and the gruelling gravel forest tracks of Finland, Australia and Wales.

Pinewood

Red Bull TV to broadcast live WRC in 2017

- Live action from WRC stages every Saturday – as well as dedicated highlights programmes every Friday, Saturday and Sunday

- Viewers can get their fill of the high-octane action for free at Redbull.tv or via the Red Bull TV app

- Former F1 and Le Mans star Mark Webber first in a series of high-profile guest presenters

All of the programmes will be free-to-air, and will include dedicated 20 to 30-minute highlights shows on the Friday and Saturday evenings of WRC events direct from the service park and a 30-40 minute Sunday evening wrap.

In a groundbreaking new introduction, there will also be a 75-minute Saturday midday special featuring a live stage. This will enable viewers to enjoy unprecedented levels of exhilarating footage as they follow the action in real time from both inside and outside the cars, from the snow-lined speed tests of Monte-Carlo and Sweden to the high-altitude elevation of Mexico and the gruelling gravel forest tracks of Finland, Australia and Wales.
Ah sweet. I havent been really following WRC besides the occasional "How is my countrymate Tänak doing" but this sounds cool, especially since I actually really like rally.

xrnzaaas

The new Citroen C3 WRC looks more civilized than Toyota and Ford, but I'll take a while before I'm used to that huge diffusor.

01wtl1m.jpg

022wy7u.jpg

03vdbc5.jpg

048uy9o.jpg

I am curious to see how all these insane diffusers and bodykits will handle the rough conditions.
I suspect we may have more cases like the 206 WRC's comically large rear bumper which would tend to come of pretty often.
peugeot_206wrc2001_hr_acropolis_01.jpg

DD

@FIAWEC 51 min

More good news for the WEC! @GinettaCars will produce an LMP1 chassis for customers from 2018 #WEC #LMP1

Wild looking concept.

C1UKHiXWQAAVeB3.jpg:large

LMP1 definitely needs some life in it. The loss of Audi, Rebellion moving to LMP2, someone needs to wave to the ByColles car when they pass it broken down on the side of the track.

I think some Russian team with help from Dallara are targeting 2018 as well.

Chris R

So Carl Edwards isn't racing NASCAR next season... kinda big news. No idea if this is retirement or just a seat/contract issue and he comes back with some other team in 2018.

B.K.

Yeah. He still had eight or ten years left. Either there's something wrong with him or a family member that he wants to be there for or Monster pushed for Joe Gibbs to put a new, younger driver in the 19 next year and he would rather retire than drive for a team that struggles to get top 20s each week.

B.K.

There are going to be a lot of retirements in NASCAR in the next few years. Kenseth will probably retire when his contract is up and be replaced by Jones. Jr. will probably retire when his contract is up, if he isn't forced out due to all his concussions. The days of drivers driving into their 50s and 60s is over. They make so much more money mow that they don't have to drive forever.

Top Bottom