• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorsports |OT| of Endurance Racing, Nascar, Rally, Sportscars, MotoGP, etc

B.K.

Another win by Truex. Unless something catastrophic happens, he's going to win that championship this year. I hope he wins it. He seems like a legitimately good guy.

Business

Neuville threw away this year's championship.

Yeah these silly mistakes at the beginning of the season costed him. I would have liked Neuville to win it but have to admit Ogier has been the most consistent of them all. Latvala was unlucky with reliability and Tanak picked up the pace more towards the end but still, overall this was Ogier or Neuville.

04-andrea-dovizioso-ita_gp_9898_0_0.big.jpg

Dovi!!!!!!

Tekniqs

what a MotoGP race! these past 3-4 seasons (the season after Marquez won the first many races in a row) have been close and very very exciting.

TJP

what a MotoGP race! these past 3-4 seasons (the season after Marquez won the first many races in a row) have been close and very very exciting.
Indeed. Great race and both men looked very happy after the race in Parc Ferme.

Phillip Island always offers a great race, as fast flowing tracks usually do, so I hope the weather holds on as it's looking to be cold with a chance of rain: 7 Day PI forecast

A link to the final moments of the Japanese GP:

This Talladega race is brutal. A bunch of young guys who think they're sim racing.

Larson, Elliott, etc may be talented, but good lord.

Chris R

JR Dodged all the wrecks but couldn't pull it out in the end.

NASCAR needs to work on their yellow and red flag timings though, man was that a long race.

JR Dodged all the wrecks but couldn't pull it out in the end.

NASCAR needs to work on their yellow and red flag timings though, man was that a long race.
Logano decided blocking Jr halfway into the fence was more important than going for the win, which is good for him I guess.

(for his part, Jr should've stuck with Brad when he had the chance)

re: "NASCAR needs to work on ...", that list is impossibly long at this point. I'd like to proclaim doom and gloom for the organization -- because the product is trash -- but they own so many venues, still have big TV deals, etc, so who knows.

Fox Mulder

Logano decided blocking Jr halfway into the fence was more important than going for the win, which is good for him I guess.

(for his part, Jr should've stuck with Brad when he had the chance)

re: "NASCAR needs to work on ...", that list is impossibly long at this point. I'd like to proclaim doom and gloom for the organization -- because the product is trash -- but they own so many venues, still have big TV deals, etc, so who knows.

They've been losing viewers and corporate interest though. A company like Target is pulling out to focus more on soccer instead of sponsoring a young talent like Larson. Even the Monster Energy title sponsor was for like half of what Sprint paid, and doesn't really fit with the 58 year old average age of the nascar audience.

caramac

Fantastic last few laps in the MotoGP race yesterday, I think Dovi was half expecting that last gasp move Marquez tried to put on him after he tried something similar earlier on in the season.
Slow in, fast out. Vice versa etc. Marquez had to give it a go though.

They've been losing viewers and corporate interest though. A company like Target is pulling out to focus more on soccer instead of sponsoring a young talent like Larson. Even the Monster Energy title sponsor was for like half of what Sprint paid, and doesn't really fit with the 58 year old average age of the nascar audience.
Right, I'm with you there. But even if Nascar is failing as a product, the company owns too much now (road atlanta! Sebring!) to go anywhere. And I don't trust them to do something smart (e.g. let Nascar become a niche sport) while becoming good stewards of sports car racing, they'll probably burn the whole thing down to keep their beloved series afloat.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Daytona 24 hours starts this afternoon! It's on NBCSN in the US.

Finally the motorsports drought is over.

Lots of high profile drivers participating: Alonso, Montoya, Castroneves. THere's also the novelty of an all-female team.

Car-by-car preview here.

Last edited:

Guileless

Coverage has shifted to the NBC Sports app until 9 eastern. Links to streams on Reddit. International coverage available at imsa.com

Guileless

Good morning race fans. It's cold, dark, and wet in Daytona this morning. It's really coming down.

Fernando Alonso's #10 Cadillac is currently leading the prototype class, and he's back in the car right now after a brilliant drive yesterday.

Top Bottom