• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

Bebpo

Banned
I finally got to play this and I am really impressed. Incredible arcade racer. But the AI is SO BULLSHIT and makes me RAGE so I can't really play this game offline cause it's bad for my health.

I hate that career mode events sometimes put you up against horrible odds in addition to the cheap AI. Like the 3rd race in the fire series where you have to play as a buggy in The Rift. The buggy's great for the track, except for the fact that there are like FIVE MONSTER TRUCKS in the opponents every time and they have this habit of appearing out of nowhere behind you and crushing you as you're in 1st place and making the last turn to the finish line. I got crushed from behind so many times I just imagined there was a ghost monster truck chained to the back of my buggy. Aren't monster trucks supposed to have a weakness since they can 1 hit kill everyone else? Shouldn't they be SLOW? Then why are the top 5 in the lead everytime the monster truck group :( Oh and trying to pass 5 monster trucks in a narrow tunnel without touching one is lolll

I hope for Motorstorm 3 Evolution adds selectable difficulty levels. Almost every other modern racing game asks you if you want to play on EASY/MEDIUM/HARD when you do an event. Sorry that some of us don't play racing games on hard!

Otherwise the game is amazing. 100x better than Motorstorm.

SToRM

Bebpo said:
I hate that career mode events sometimes put you up against horrible odds in addition to the cheap AI. Like the 3rd race in the fire series where you have to play as a buggy in The Rift. The buggy's great for the track, except for the fact that there are like FIVE MONSTER TRUCKS in the opponents every time and they have this habit of appearing out of nowhere behind you and crushing you as you're in 1st place and making the last turn to the finish line. I got crushed from behind so many times I just imagined there was a ghost monster truck chained to the back of my buggy. Aren't monster trucks supposed to have a weakness since they can 1 hit kill everyone else? Shouldn't they be SLOW? Then why are the top 5 in the lead everytime the monster truck group :( Oh and trying to pass 5 monster trucks in a narrow tunnel without touching one is lolll.
I've been playing the same level yesterday. I ended first one time, but then I was just .61 seconds too slow for the 3:50 time limit... I'm going to try it again now.
But I really like the game so far and the photo mode is amazing.

yeah.. lots of people still play this.
80% of the time i play a ranked race there are at least 10 people out of 12.
I've rarely raced less than 6 people in a ranked race.

Violater

Interfectum said:
considering picking this game up, is there still an online community for it?

And they are all better at it than I am, I swear I have never won a race and I rejoice when I can even finish one :lol

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I'm curious if anyone has unlocked all 96 gold medals. I've got 4 left, one of which I don't see anyway to get a gold on. It's a checkpoint race in which you're racing in a monster truck on the course Colossus Canyon: Chaos Canyon. I do fine until I get to the final stretch. Right when I'm coming out of the forest, I have about 30+ seconds of time to the next checkpoint. The problem is, you're thrown into a pool of water which slows you down considerably. In addition, each checkpoint after wards only adds 2 seconds to the clock. It's impossible to get to the next checkpoint in 2 seconds, so I'm curious if anyone has been able to get a gold here. If you did, please give me some pointers. I tried for hours to get thru it, only to get a bronze at best.

noah111

Still Alive
Epic Tier 3 Engineer said:
So uhh, my data got corrupted, about 8 more golds to go in festival. Any way to salvage the save?
Probably won't work but copying the save onto another account or a flash drive MIGHT preserve it. Don't get your hopes up though. :\

Just for everyone's info, I found a copy of this game at Target for $14.98. The clearance section of Targets do very from location to location but it's a hellva deal so check it out.

sonitii

So I picked up this game a few weeks ago at Target on clearance and have been playing it for the last week or so.

It's pretty awesome arcade racer. Reminded a lot of Excite Truck but with way superior graphics. It just gives you such an adrenaline rush.

I've been playing mostly online matches, both ranked and custom ones, and most of the players online are ridiculously good. It's unbelievable actually. I always never finish the race, I would say 80% of the time. Somehow the other players always finish way ahead. That's my one complaint I have with this game. After the first 30 seconds or so into the race, a pack of players just pull ahead and it no longer becomes a competitive race. That kind of put's a damper on the competitve aspect. So my goal just ends up becoming to not finish in last place. But who knows, maybe I just suck. :lol

drthkid said:
So I picked up this game a few weeks ago at Target on clearance and have been playing it for the last week or so.

It's pretty awesome arcade racer. Reminded a lot of Excite Truck but with way superior graphics. It just gives you such an adrenaline rush.

I've been playing mostly online matches, both ranked and custom ones, and most of the players online are ridiculously good. It's unbelievable actually. I always never finish the race, I would say 80% of the time. Somehow the other players always finish way ahead. That's my one complaint I have with this game. After the first 30 seconds or so into the race, a pack of players just pull ahead and it no longer becomes a competitive race. That kind of put's a damper on the competitve aspect. So my goal just ends up becoming to not finish in last place. But who knows, maybe I just suck. :lol
You never win any races?

I think they have a trophy for winning three in a row. :p All I can say is memorize the shortcuts, use the monster truck/18 wheeler, and play using the 1st person viewpoint.

sonitii

Epic Tier 3 Engineer said:
You never win any races?

I think they have a trophy for winning three in a row. :p All I can say is memorize the shortcuts, use the monster truck/18 wheeler, and play using the 1st person viewpoint.

Nope. I've played about 50+ online races too. Sad I know.:lol

Yeah I don't know all the shortcuts/and shortest/best routes to take. That's probably it. And I probably crash too much. Still fun game though.

Thanks for the tips.

I think you will find it near impossible to win a race online without knowing the tracks well especially if you race against legends.
Usually the lower ranked players tend to play dirty, so if you see two or more players racing close together save your boost and stay close behind them for a while , most of the time they will take each other out at the next corner.
If you have a car behind you trying to spin you out, shift the weight of your car to the rear (push down on the dpad) dont do this with the bike quad as you'll just fall off.
Turn name tags on (double tap L3), this will let you see what route other players are taking.
You can also use boost explode to take out other vehicles. :D

Looking to spend some of my PSN money (bought a couple of £20 cards). Are either of the expansions for this worth it for someone that doesn't play online? I'm guessing the adrenaline pack would be a waste of money (mostly online stuff), but what about the speed pack? As I understand it, it's got some new challenges. Any good?

BeeDog

Psychotext said:
Looking to spend some of my PSN money (bought a couple of £20 cards). Are either of the expansions for this worth it for someone that doesn't play online? I'm guessing the adrenaline pack would be a waste of money (mostly online stuff), but what about the speed pack? As I understand it, it's got some new challenges. Any good?

How much do game with friends in splitscreen? Depending on how much you actually like the game, I'd say the new maps in both packs are worth it (they're awesome imo), since they provide a great deal of fun even in arcade mode (in my humble opinion). The one with the events is pretty boring though, just friend leaderboards where you can compete (it's like the Speed events, just much easier).

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I finally got all of the gold metals a few days ago in single player. After reading about the speed weekend, I think I'm going to give online a try instead. I'm not the type of gamer who spends a lot of time online, but I love that fact that it's free and adds longevity to the game - which is one of my favorites this gen. Evolution Studios and Sony deserve mad props for this new franchise. Job well done. I can't praise it enough.

grenks

Neo Member
Got this game at the toys r us deal. I like this shit a lot. Graphics is dope. I love usin the custom soundtracks too. The games not too hard either, just memorizin the best route for your vehicle.

How much has this game sold? I hope a lot cause this really is a fun ass game. It reminds me of like an old school sega racing arcade game or some shit. I cant explain it, its just fun as hell.

This game reminds me of Super OffRoad, very simple plain game to play. Anyone ever take some ingame photos? WHile they were racing, I like that cause you can create some nice shots, I ended up using one shot as my screensaver.

grenks said:
Got this game at the toys r us deal. I like this shit a lot. Graphics is dope. I love usin the custom soundtracks too. The games not too hard either, just memorizin the best route for your vehicle.

How much has this game sold? I hope a lot cause this really is a fun ass game. It reminds me of like an old school sega racing arcade game or some shit. I cant explain it, its just fun as hell.

Nailed it.
It's a shame this game doesn't appear to have sold what it deserves, and dumb ass reviewers not reviewing the game fairly. It's do damn brilliant. The online mode in particular is spectacularly fun.
Hope Sales double with it being Platinum.

decon

CurlySaysX said:
Nailed it.
It's a shame this game doesn't appear to have sold what it deserves, and dumb ass reviewers not reviewing the game fairly. It's do damn brilliant. The online mode in particular is spectacularly fun.
Hope Sales double with it being Platinum.
I think it sold pretty well worldwide. It was mad cheap last year when it came out, and it dropped even more at xmas sales.

borsdy

Banned
Good grief, I finally reached rank eight in festival! I don't want to imagine how tough those events are, I think I will just chip at the developer ghosts in time attack for now.

I thought there was a community website that let you look at news, stats etc? It might have been at the offical game site but I can't find it there. I remember the community site had it's own dedicated message board too, but I see that the offical site links to a dinky sub-forum at the psboards now :/ This MS2 portal thing didn't get liquidated or something did it?

agaru

This game was bundled with my 250GB slim. I only started playing it 2 days ago, and wow is it good? The gameplay is solid and easy to learn, controls are tight and done right, and it looks pretty too. LOVE Eliminator and Time Attack modes! Currently at rank 3 in the Festival...

vz7ozb.jpg

:D

I thought there was a community website that let you look at news, stats etc? It might have been at the offical game site but I can't find it there. I remember the community site had it's own dedicated message board too, but I see that the offical site links to a dinky sub-forum at the psboards now :/ This MS2 portal thing didn't get liquidated or something did it?
This one?
http://vip.motorstorm.com/ms/portal

agaru

borsdy said:
Thanks, dude! How did you find this?
I was browsing the official PS forums a few days back and read this dude's post talking about the 'VIP site' of MS, which interested me to google it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Sorry for the bump, but starting today Best Buy will have Pacific Rift on sale for $19.99. Most retailers are still selling it new at $60.00, so this is an awesome deal. I've been in need of a new racing game, this has had my interest for awhile so I'll be picking it up after work tonight. Can't wait.

Oneself

Snuggler said:
Sorry for the bump, but starting today Best Buy will have Pacific Rift on sale for $19.99. Most retailers are still selling it new at $60.00, so this is an awesome deal. I've been in need of a new racing game, this has had my interest for awhile so I'll be picking it up after work tonight. Can't wait.

Don't be sorry, it's the best arcade racer of this gen so far.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Cool. I've tried my hardest to get into games like Forza and Gran Turismo, but I just can't do it. Sim racers are just mindnumbingly boring for me. I love crazy arcade racers, though, I've had a lot of fun with the Burnout games this gen. If I can crash into a wall and explode into bits while my driver goes flying into a rock, I'm guaranteed to have a good time. This will be my first Motorstorm game, but the demo was good and it has splitscreen (!!!!) so I expect to enjoy this.

kikanny

Snuggler said:
Cool. I've tried my hardest to get into games like Forza and Gran Turismo, but I just can't do it. Sim racers are just mindnumbingly boring for me. I love crazy arcade racers, though, I've had a lot of fun with the Burnout games this gen. If I can crash into a wall and explode into bits while my driver goes flying into a rock, I'm guaranteed to have a good time. This will be my first Motorstorm game, but the demo was good and it has splitscreen (!!!!) so I expect to enjoy this.

You will have a blast with the game. The best arcade racer since Burnout Takedown.

trk_rkd

Banned
Oneself said:
Don't be sorry, it's the best arcade racer of this gen so far.

Yeah, i'd say its probably the most underrated ps3 exclusive... i think the fact that the first motorstorm was pretty average dampened a lot of the hype for this game. wipeout hd is better imho but pacific rift feels so damn fresh, it's a great game. other than lbp its the only disc-based 2008 ps3 game that still gets any time from me.

the dlc is kinda average though, one really brilliant beach course but the rest... not so great.

Agent X

Snuggler said:

I saw this today, and I'm going to try to grab this ASAP. I got the original MotorStorm on PS3, as well as the much more recent MotorStorm: Arctic Edge on PSP. I never got around to getting Pacific Rift last year, and at this low price it's too good to pass up.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
One quick question, although I'm sure this has been asked before...

There seems to have been a good amount of DLC for this, how much of it would you guys consider "essential"? I'd like to purchase the worthwhile content and skip anything not worth it.

Goldrusher

Snuggler said:
One quick question, although I'm sure this has been asked before...

There seems to have been a good amount of DLC for this, how much of it would you guys consider "essential"? I'd like to purchase the worthwhile content and skip anything not worth it.

Speed: 3 tracks + new Festival races
Adrenaline: 3 tracks

Snuggler said:

hear hear. i just can't seem to get ANY un out of sim racers.

you WILL enjoy this. it's fun.

Shai-Tan

Banned
trk_rkd said:
Yeah, i'd say its probably the most underrated ps3 exclusive... i think the fact that the first motorstorm was pretty average dampened a lot of the hype for this game. wipeout hd is better imho but pacific rift feels so damn fresh, it's a great game. other than lbp its the only disc-based 2008 ps3 game that still gets any time from me.

I think there's something about the game that maybe doesn't work in the demo they released. They should have put a more open level in to prevent first time players crashing over and over. Many players wouldn't realize its easy to recover from a few crashes and ragequit like I did. It was the same with the original Motorstorm demo where I flew off some cliffs and deleted it within a few minutes.

Then I rented it and had a completely opposite opinion.

Snuggler said:

I'm considering buying it now, did they fix the load times that was found on the first? And can 2 people go online split screen or is that just offline?

Love it when this topic pops back up.

The best arcade racer this gen, bar none.

Big tv, surround sound, bonnet view.....awsome.

Someone post more screen shots; you can not talk about this game without screen shots.

Oneself

AranhaHunter said:
I'm considering buying it now, did they fix the load times that was found on the first? And can 2 people go online split screen or is that just offline?

Buy the game, ask questions later.:lol

The load times are "fixed". 2 players online, I don't know... I never even tried it splitscreen in fact.

quetz67

Banned
Goldrusher said:
Speed: 3 tracks + new Festival races
Adrenaline: 3 tracks
What do I need to do to get the new festival races?

I downloaded speed expansion, got a few dozen new speed events that very pretty easy and that was it.

Would love those new tracks integrated into the real festival.

Top Bottom