• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

Danielsan

Cruzader said:
Meh.

No in-game cockpit view, no buy like the first 2. Dirt2 has this, ffs put it in there already! Also bikes need in-helmet view or bust too!
Agreed.
In helmet view would be so awesome if done well.
Rain drops and mud hitting the visor. :D

Arghh there is so much potential but I'm afraid that we're not getting any of it. :(

borsdy

Banned
Cruzader said:
No in-game cockpit view, no buy like the first 2. Dirt2 has this, ffs put it in there already! Also bikes need in-helmet view or bust too!
Danielsan said:
Agreed.
In helmet view would be so awesome if done well.
Rain drops and mud hitting the visor. :D

Arghh there is so much potential but I'm afraid that we're not getting any of it. :(
MS gameplay is too crazy for this, no one would use this feature in any length of playtime.

BeeDog

1. Cockpit view
2. Water-based races, or even combined water/land races with hovercraft-ish vehicles would be awesome (think high cliff paths for bikes/small cars, and rivers for hovercrafts)
3. Less frustrating AI

And it'll be the only racer I'll ever need; fuck GT5!

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
The hood view is basically cockpit view and it's not like cockpit views in any games are accurate because they never cover your peripheral vision like in real life. I'm not against adding more camera angles but not playing a game because there's no cockpit view is stupid, especially since there is a hood view that's very similar.

Trevelyan

Banned
borsdy said:
Doesn't Sony always pimp their games years in advance?
I'm pretty sure there was an interview a while back where they said they would stop announcing games years in advance, and announce them sooner.

Anyway, this is awesome news, as I'm a big Motorstorm fan. Loved the first and adored the 2nd. Can't wait to get back into the festival. :D

Cruzader said:
Meh.

You not buying the game for that dumb reason it's your loss. No one elses. Cockpit view would never work on Motorstorm... and remember, it's an arcade game, not an offroad simulator.

Made me wanna dig up the old dirt 1 cockpit screen.

Ashes

Banned
Motorstorm 3 website domain was reserved earlier this year.
I hope they really go all out with it this. Allowing you to jump between vehicles or tag team races would so cool. Or even let you walk around the crazy festival...:D
The race courses are devine. Maybe they'll go all urbanite and we get to race through bulidings, skyscrapers etc...

Cruzader

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
You not buying the game for that dumb reason it's your loss. No one elses. Cockpit view would never work on Motorstorm... and remember, it's an arcade game, not an offroad simulator.

Made me wanna dig up the old dirt 1 cockpit screen.

Not a dumb reason. It was teased back in 2005, put the fucking thing already in. Its not like they have to put so many details inside the car ala GT5, we are talking arcadey cars. Plus Dirt 2's mud on windshield is fucking amazing, you would think Evolution would put it in but dont.

iceatcs

Galvanise_ said:
I wonder when they'll decide to release it. They already have GT5 coming this year and that's going to do gangbusters.
I think it is more likely being of 2011, but it can be this summer if there is playable demo that early.

Ashes1396 said:
Maybe they'll go all urbanite and we get to race through bulidings, skyscrapers etc...
One of the possible for make sense as I think that magazine give us a quote hint - it was GT's killer. (Maybe different magazine/game, I will check up.)

There is urban racing in GT5. So maybe?

skulpt

I would save it for 2011 for sure. Maybe Sept 2011 or something and polish the crap out of it. Otherwise we have Sony releasing racing games too close together and then a big drought in between.

borsdy

Banned
Shurs said:
Pacific Rift was announced in March 2008 and came out 7 months later.
Thank you for the infoz.
Cruzader said:
Not a dumb reason. It was teased back in 2005, put the fucking thing already in. Its not like they have to put so many details inside the car ala GT5, we are talking arcadey cars. Plus Dirt 2's mud on windshield is fucking amazing, you would think Evolution would put it in but dont.
That CG movie was made by someone else, I also remember an interweb article quoting Evo not liking their game being compared to that.

Hydrargyrus

OMFG!

Sony, don't wait untill the E3 to announce it, show us the f***ing arcade king now!!!

One more thing, I really hope that when Sony release a open demo in the PSN, it won't be this old demo, with 6 months of delay, like they did with MS: Pacific rift

any chance for 3D and face tracking integration? combine that with cockpit cam, it could be cool using open space vehicle like bikes, ATV and Buggy and see the dust and dirt flying out from the screen.

also first person crash in 3D sounds cool.

BatmanX

Hope the guy don't get himself in trouble, but I'm SOOO damn happy of this news

Give me waterstorm with IQ similar to god of war III (I'm dreaming, I know), Ueda and Studio Cambridge and I'd consider myself happy for this generation :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Always-honest said:
hope it's a leap in graphics, AA and experience.

but fuck yeah! love motorstorm
The original to Pacific Rift was a good leap in graphics. I'd like the same thing for the third :)

Thrakier

Hydrargyrus said:
OMFG!

Sony, don't wait untill the E3 to announce it, show us the f***ing arcade king now!!!

One more thing, I really hope that when Sony release a open demo in the PSN, it won't be this old demo, with 6 months of delay, like they did with MS: Pacific rift

The PR demo wasn't old. Read this thread. And it wasn't 6 months, it was one month.

SmokyDave

Ah man, I still haven't got round to playing Pacific Rift yet!

Love the Motorstorm series (especially Arctic Edge), will be happy to add another to the shelf.

Can't wait for the reveal! :D Please have morphological AA and any other advancements that could have derived from Uncharted 2 or God of War 3 :D Very different games, but the first party research might help.

And lol @ those complaining already. If you didn't get at least Pacific Rift, it's your loss. Amazing arcade racer!

SmokyDave said:
Ah man, I still haven't got round to playing Pacific Rift yet!

Love the Motorstorm series (especially Arctic Edge), will be happy to add another to the shelf.

You still didn't get round to playing the best in the series? For shame.

Callibretto said:
any chance for 3D and face tracking integration? combine that with cockpit cam, it could be cool using open space vehicle like bikes, ATV and Buggy and see the dust and dirt flying out from the screen.

also first person crash in 3D sounds cool.

I think it will have 3D capability because Sony's EU 3D team is located in Runcorn, the same place as Evolution studios.

SmokyDave

Philanthropist said:
You still didn't get round to playing the best in the series? For shame.
I know! I bought it on day one and didn't get round to popping the disc in until a couple of weeks back. Then HR & GoW3 landed and it's been shelved again!

Great series. I understand why some (most) hate the rubber-banding but for me, it's heart-racing arcade action all the way.

Yoshichan said:
The original to Pacific Rift was a good leap in graphics. I'd like the same thing for the third :)
yeah, i think they should be able to make a bigger leap this time around. The tricks and hardware are now very well known.

Goldrusher

Didn't TTP hint at an open-world game ? Combine the "elements" from the previous games ?
Basically Burnout Paradise off-road. Or FUEL done right.

Cesar

Banned
I don't think open world really works for MotorStorm. One of the awesome things about the games is the cool track desings, it's hard to keep the qualty of the trackdesigns if it's an open world. Burnout Paradise and Fuel are great examples. The racing gameplay is quite good, but the "tracks" are "meh"...

BeeDog

Cesar said:
I don't think open world really works for MotorStorm. One of the awesome things about the games is the cool track desings, it's hard to keep the qualty of the trackdesigns if it's an open world. Burnout Paradise and Fuel are great examples. The racing gameplay is quite good, but the "tracks" are "meh"...

I agree. MS2's tracks are amazingly fun, and going the "open world" route would suck the fun out of the series. More "open-endedness" in the levels instead of "pure open world" gameplay would be sweet though, and I trust Evolution to come up with some great tracks.

Zen

Banned
Hmmm, I found MS2 to be a little too weird of a change from the original (car handling, how everything was super wide and smoothed out with zero bumps in the road) but I think I'd be down for giving MS3 a buy.

bridegur

I've somehow convinced myself that it's going to be a water racer based on literally zero evidence, so there's a 99% chance I'm going to be disappointed.

beast786

bridegur said:
I've somehow convinced myself that it's going to be a water racer based on literally zero evidence, so there's a 99% chance I'm going to be disappointed.

And now you got me excited.

FUUUUUUUUU

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I feel people should respect their NDAs more... Doesn't really affect me but I would like to go into E3 without things spoiled before hand. Not that I think M3 is going to be their big card, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was revealed there.

MrPliskin

Banned
Thunderbear said:
I feel people should respect their NDAs more... Doesn't really affect me but I would like to go into E3 without things spoiled before hand. Not that I think M3 is going to be their big card, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was revealed there.
It's been mentioned by tons of media outlets for MONTHS that Motorstorm 3 was coming. No one (well, maybe you) would have been surprised. That said, this tells us nothing more than it's coming. We done know setting, features, how it looks, etc.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
NameGenerated said:
The hood view is basically cockpit view and it's not like cockpit views in any games are accurate because they never cover your peripheral vision like in real life. I'm not against adding more camera angles but not playing a game because there's no cockpit view is stupid, especially since there is a hood view that's very similar.

Regardless, there's no excuse to not have one.

Filldough

DarkUSS said:
I haven't played Pacific Rift in like... forever. Are people still playing online?

I was just wondering this same thing. I let a friend borrow PR and he had it almost a year. I never even played this one online, the first one was awesome till people started exploiting the boost cheat... So many good games, never enough time to give them the attention they deserve.

wouwie

I loved MS2. Never really missed a cockpit view. The bonnet view gives a great sense of speed. Much to my surprise, i finished the main campaign.

MS2 is an awesome game but i still have a feeling that they could improve upon it. Granted, there's a great sense of speed but it still feels a bit too "tame" at times. I would like it to be a bit dirtier, a bit more visceral, a bit more messy (a bit like the very first target trailer). I'd love to see them play more with weather effects. More mud reducing the vision, bigger and closer vegetation. And a bit more variation in tracks. Making more use of mountains, steep and not so steep hills, narrow tracks on the edge of a mountain where you need to play tactical and on the edge...

It still misses that bit more umph.

I'm very curious how MS3 will look like. I'd like it be a bit more darker than the tropical setting in MS3.

Can't wait for more info and the official reveal. Wasn't MS2 first revealed in a magazine?

Top Bottom