• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord coming to consoles

Jb

The interview is in Turkish but I would assume the website who did the interview is legit (credit to the fine folks at /r/games).

Edit:
Turk here.

Interviewer asks him if this game or maybe a remake of the old game could come to consoles.

The other guy commented that he saw Xbox and a PS4 in the other room.

Dev says: Well we have such plans. I can't say to much about that because of NDA's, but I can say it could come out there.

And when asked earlier about the state of the game. He says that it is coming along and they have big parts running quite good. They are developing a brand new engine alongside the game. They don't see it only as a game, but more of a platform. So they put alot of time in ease of use of the tools for the modding community. For the game itself this sometimes results that they have to tear down and rebuilt some of the parts because of engine changes/ updates. He was a bit dodgy about when we are gonna hear more of the game.

mb89-s.jpg

For those unfamiliar with the series, M&B is a medieval simulator with both a single player and MP component where you ride around an overworld populated with different factions, join one or try to establish your own and engage in battles with dozens of NPCs or players. It's really fun :) Here's some gameplay of what battles could look like in the previous game.

zugzug

this is such a mistake. focus on the PC game your ability to communicate after announcing this game has been terrible Taleworlds.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
getting it on pc but rad for console gamers everyone should play mount & blade

this is such a mistake. focus on the PC game your ability to communicate after announcing this game has been terrible Taleworlds.

theyve been slack on info on this forever i doubt this was the cause of it

HowZatOZ

Banned
This will be interesting. I can't quite see how it would translate well to console controller's with the current input layout but it should be interesting. Only problem is the unlikely mod support, which is kind of a big part of the Mount & Blade community.

DaciaJC

Gold Member

Agreed. It's been two and a half years since the initial announcement, and we still have only a minimal number of details on the core mechanics and changes for Bannerlord.

Dargor

This is such an awesome news. A game like this should be enjoyed by as many people as possible. Lost count of how many hours I poured in WarBand and PoP.

What? Shakes my head*

When more people getting to play an awesome game is a bad thing or a mistake?

In my humble opinion. Never.

cripterion

Oh boy... I always thought the info on this game was scarce and no news was good news, but this doesn't sound good at all.

BadRNG

I thought this game was dead, happy to hear otherwise.

PC will still be the version to get due to the great modding community that goes with this series, but more people getting to play the better I guess.

Orayn

What? Shakes my head*

When more people getting to play an awesome game is a bad thing or a mistake?

In my humble opinion. Never.

It's worrying when we're talking about a small studio that's already been having a hard time enough time keeping people up to date on the slow development of this game.

Interesting. I love Mount & Blade: Warband. I'll still prefer to play the sequel on a PC for the lovely mods, though. I may just double dip.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I have been waiting for this for so long. Caribbean and Viking Conquest are fun for what they are, but the engine is so old now. I need that Bannerlord goodness, but it's taking so long.

Curious how consoles will fair since much of the appeal of M&B is the awesome modding community making crazy huge total conversions and custom settings.

Herne

Hrm, so conflicted. More success for Taleworlds by getting the game in the hands of more gamers - great. Taking resources and focus away from the pc version to focus on more limited console versions with no mod support... not so great.

I can't even imagine how it'll work on a console. Right-stick to block? Ugh. I mean, this is the type of game that really only works on pc. How are analogue sticks meant to compensate for the lack of precision mouse control?

Ampsicora

Some turks on the official forum said the interview is badly translated in English. The interview said they could port the game on console, but for now they want first release the game on PC.

berzeli

Banned
some turks on the official forum said the interview is badly translated in English. The interview said they could be port the game on console, but for now they want first release the game on PC.

Huh ok. I was just about to go on a small rant, now I don't have to I guess. Well, I could always rant about the lack of updates...

Hopefully they focus on getting the pc release right first. I am not sure the game will transfer well to console controls.
Warband is one of my favourite games, easily top 10. Firstly the combat is great, there is a fair amount

Dargor

It's worrying when we're talking about a small studio that's already been having a hard time enough time keeping people up to date on the slow development of this game.

I see, but I don't think with todays consoles thats a reason to worry at all. They aren't like the ps3. They are close enough to pcs that I think they will have more problems with how the game will control with a gamepad instead of M&Kb than with porting it.

Wanna see their solution for that.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Turk here.

Interviewer asks him if this game or maybe a remake of the old game could come to consoles.

Dev says: Well we have such plans. I can't say to much about that because of NDA's, but I can say it could come out there.

And when asked earlier about the state of the game. He says that it is coming along and they have big parts running quite good. They are developing a brand new engine alongside the game. They don't see it only as a game, but more of a platform. So they put alot of time in ease of use of the tools for the modding community. For the game itself this sometimes results that they have to tear down and rebuilt some of the parts because of engine changes/ updates. He was a bit dodgy about when we are gonna hear more of the game.

Kinthalis

Banned
Oh boy, this worries me.

Hopefully they'll concentrate on releasing a proper PC game with full mod support, and THEN worry about porting to consoles. I don't want any of the limitations of that platform dictating what they do on the Pc version.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
How are people confused by the controls?

Right stick to move your view, left stick to walk in whatever direction. R2 to attack, hold for charged attack, L2 to block etc

They'll likely dumb them down a bit on consoles like EVERY OTHER PC GAME THAT CAME TO CONSOLES.

I find it odd there's no confirmation from Taleworlds. This seems like something you'd want to push PR out of. The lack of noise coming from Taleworlds makes me think that this isn't legit.

Klossen

Banned
I really don't understand the point of putting a mod-oriented PC game on consoles which also means limiting the PC version in the process. I can understand the scepticism among M&B players upon hearing this. This will most definitely mean a Bannerlord on PC limited by console specs.

Jb

Turk here.

Thank you! Added to the OP.

Turk here.

So, not 100% confirmed true? Maybe you can ask a mod to change the thread title, in order to avoid any more confusion.

Giran

I just hope there won't be any compromises for the PC version. Although that's pretty hard to imagine considering M&B's combat was heavily reliant on the precision and speed of the mouse.

Mahonay

Banned
Hope this sees the light of day within the next couple of years. So much stupid fun was had with Warband. Personally I'd love to play some Mount & Blade on my PS4 where I do most of my gaming.

Herne

How are people confused by the controls?

Right stick to move your view, left stick to walk in whatever direction. R2 to attack, hold for charged attack, L2 to block etc

They'll likely dumb them down a bit on consoles like EVERY OTHER PC GAME THAT CAME TO CONSOLES.

So you take away the complex melee system and in it's place put a button. Hmm.

On the pc, you move the mouse in conjunction with the block button - block up? Move the mouse up, and so on. But it's also used as a camera at the same time - how do you do that on the consoles? You're already moving around with the left analogue stick, and if they were to match the melee system as best they can they assign blocking to the right analogue stick - move up to block a downwards strike, and so on, how then do you move the camera? How can you block the attack that's coming in around from another player at a two-twenty-five degree angle relative to your zero?

How will you even know it's coming?

Saw a couple of leaked screenshots of.. pre-Alpha or whatever in-development of the game a month ago and I personally think they shouldn't waste resources on the possibility of getting onto other platforms. The joke release date of 2022 isn't that far off based on the leaked screenshots.

As for the controls for a gamepad, it is possible. A friend of mine managed to get his to work on his 360 controller. Although, he got easily outmaneuvered by anyone that knows the slightest about MnB combat.

Top Bottom