• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mouth sores/ulcers... ugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I've experienced this a lot in my life but I'm still not used to it. I currently have one at the area where my upper right canine is, so it's really hard to eat. It's not really a terrible injury but it sure as hell as annoying.

I know it heals over time, usually three or so, but it's so difficult. Usually I gargle with an oral antiseptic, or I drink cold water to ease it when I accidentally struck it with my canine. What do you guys do?

You can take antiviral medicine to suppress the symptoms. Ask your doctor for a prescription for treatment of the herpes simplex virus.

Nemesis_

It will burn like fuck at first, but clove oil will numb it considerably.

I had one between the bottom front teeth and my lip so it hurt almost all the time. Applied some clove oil and I could rub my tongue across it without feeling a thing (yes, you're not meant to, but I just wanted to be sure it actually numbed).

Ein Bear

Ugh, you have my sympathies OP, I get mouth ulcers all the time - seem to pop up whenever I'm slightly under the weather :/

When I was a kid I had those all the time, often 5 or 6 at once. Nowadays I get one maybe every other month.
Make sure to avoid toothpaste with sodium laurylsulfate which is thought to aggravate the sores and hinder the healing process.

Are these the same or different from canker sores because I've gotten plenty of those in my life and they are a pain to deal with. Makes simple things like eating and brushing your teeth a painful ordeal. I just want to cut them out rather then dealing with it.

EYEL1NER

I feel your pain bro. I've gotten sores inside my mouth for as many years as I can remember, ever since I was a little kid. Haven't gotten any recently, so I am probably due for some.
I fucking hate them, especially the ones like you mentioned that sit opposite a canine tooth. That canine tooth protrudes more and hits it when eating or talking, causing it to hurt like a son of a bitch.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Canker sores suck. Switching toothpaste and avoiding trigger foods (for me the big one is raw cherry tomatoes because of the acidity) helped a lot for me. I still get the occasional one due to being stressed out.

Also make sure you're getting enough sleep and drinking lots of water. They also seem to be a barometer for me in that they tend to pop up when I'm treating my body like shit.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Canker sores suck. Switching toothpaste and avoiding trigger foods (for me the big one is raw cherry tomatoes because of the acidity) helped a lot for me. I still get the occasional one due to being stressed out.

Also make sure you're getting enough sleep and drinking lots of water. They also seem to be a barometer for me in that they tend to pop up when I'm treating my body like shit.

Use:

M8EHF2i.jpg

Trust me on this. It may hurt like hell when you use this on it but it will numb it longer and help it go away faster.

Codeblue

I'm currently dealing with one now. When I was younger they used to get so big that I couldn't put my lips together. You have my sympathies.

Boss Doggie

iirc canker sores are mouth ulcers that came about without any specific cause unlike mouth sores which generally have a known source like say accidental bites or such

bitoriginal

For mouth ulcers, get yourself some Alum powder. Dip your finger in the alum, rub it on the ulcer. Leave it for a minute or two then wash your mouth out. It's a bit painful at first but it dries the ulcer out and leads to a much quicker recovery and less pain.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I always use them as an indication that my diet is shitty (not sure if this is true) take lots of vitamins and kill that shit with listerine antiseptic. used to get em lots as a kid, but they went away with age. I was always told it's diet related and I've started to believe it (NO idea if science agrees)

I get them a lot, pisses me off. Mostly because I'm very picky about my oral care, I brush my teeth twice a day and floss/use mouth wash occasionally. Yet my teeth are full of holes and I get ulcers all the time. Herpes certainly doesn't help either, I'm very hygienic also but it makes me feel like a bum =(

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Isn't it from vitamin b deficiency or something? I'm sure I read that somewhere...

I haven't had any for years, though I used to when I ate a lot of sugary junk.

Boss Doggie

Isn't it from vitamin b deficiency or something? I'm sure I read that somewhere...

I haven't had any for years, though I used to when I ate a lot of sugary junk.

The common mouth ulcer is caused by trauma (e.g. accidental biting)

EvetS

Go to a Chinese drug store and ask for Xi Gua Shuang.

vuej8.jpg

It's a powder that you can spray on the sores, heal up in just two or three days.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that since I started taking Omega 3 supplements I haven't had a single canker sore. Might not be related, but it's something that stood out to me!

Use:

M8EHF2i.jpg

Trust me on this. It may hurt like hell when you use this on it but it will numb it longer and help it go away faster.

Yep, I do use mouthwash when it gets particularly bad. It definitely helps with the pain.

bro1

Banned
I had one that was over the size of a quarter that lasted 2 weeks (I have ulcerated colitis and get very sick all the time). I lost 10 lbs during that time since I could only eat shakes. It was so bad, the dentist put a goop that hardened over it and would disolve everyday.

dorkimoe

i get them ALL the time, however i found the cure

I have tried salt, and all the oral numbing stuff.

You need these
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IGP6AU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

These work AMAZINGLY. The downside is, they dont fit everywhere because you can just rub them off with your tongue until it starts to work and you need to dry the area. I had one of the worst ones in my life (mind you i get like a hundred a year for the last 10 years) and this one was keeping me awake at night. I had it for like 5 days, I put one of those on it and it went from a 10 pain to a 3 and gone in days. You can get them at CVS or Walgreens

Steelrain

i get them ALL the time, however i found the cure

I have tried salt, and all the oral numbing stuff.

You need these
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IGP6AU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

These work AMAZINGLY. The downside is, they dont fit everywhere because you can just rub them off with your tongue until it starts to work and you need to dry the area. I had one of the worst ones in my life (mind you i get like a hundred a year for the last 10 years) and this one was keeping me awake at night. I had it for like 5 days, I put one of those on it and it went from a 10 pain to a 3 and gone in days. You can get them at CVS or Walgreens

Holy shit 100 a year? What is your diet like?

dorkimoe

Holy shit 100 a year? What is your diet like?

I think mine are caused by spicey foods, and the hell if I give that up

Also there is an ingredient in like every toothpaste that has been known to cause them for some people

edit: here

http://www.livestrong.com/article/2...ngers-of-sodium-lauryl-sulfate-in-toothpaste/
The University of Mary Washington suggests switching to an SLS-free toothpaste to reduce the risk of mouth sores or to minimize the associated pain and discomfort.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/2...m-lauryl-sulfate-in-toothpaste/#ixzz2JwcEadMa

zoukka

I dunno. I barely notice 'em.

Cankers are much worse, but I usually just destroy them. It hurts like hell, but they are instantly gone.

GulAtiCa

I heard that gargling warm water w/ salt helps. At least that is what I do. I was lucky with the last one I got, was in a position in my mouth where I only noticed it once.

Espresso

Banned
Switch to a natural toothpaste (e.g. Burt's Bees) that contains fluoride. What you want to avoid is the SLS (sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate) found in popular brands of toothpaste.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
My wife gets these every once in a while. I've never had them. Why does it happen?

No one really knows for sure and it seems to be different for everyone. Some of the suspected culprits are sodium lauryl sulfate (ingredient in most toothpaste), acidic foods like citrus, spicy foods, stress, lack of sleep, vitamin deficiency, and underlying medical condition. So yeah, a mixed bag.

I know that acidic foods trigger mine, as does stress. Last year someone in my family ended up in the hospital for a month and I was so stressed about it I had canker sores for the entire month, sometimes two or more at a time. Not fun!

I got a lot of these as well and it usually takes a week to heal... fucking pain for anything mouth related!

I can't figure out what triggers mine other than maybe stress, so I'm gonna try SLS free tooth paste!

I got a lot of these as well and it usually takes a week to heal... fucking pain for anything mouth related!

I can't figure out what triggers mine other than maybe stress, so I'm gonna try SLS free tooth paste!

If it is constantly you should seek out a doctor, my brother had two or three in his mouth all the time, when one healed a new would pop up, and after four months of it he went to the doctor and was ordered some herbal pills of some kind, and they've helped a lot.

They also have a tendency to appear more if you immune system is down for the count, after being sick.

No one really knows for sure and it seems to be different for everyone. Some of the suspected culprits are sodium lauryl sulfate (ingredient in most toothpaste), acidic foods like citrus, spicy foods, stress, lack of sleep, vitamin deficiency, and underlying medical condition. So yeah, a mixed bag.

I know that acidic foods trigger mine, as does stress. Last year someone in my family ended up in the hospital for a month and I was so stressed about it I had canker sores for the entire month, sometimes two or more at a time. Not fun!
That's rough. What a curse to have. When she gets them, she usually takes apple cider vinegar and brushes that into the sore until it's raw. She says that helps a lot. I can't even imagine what that's like.

Boss Doggie

Hmmm so I guess I'm the only one here who gets them due to accidental biting then?

I'm now trying to use the toothpaste cream to soothe it. Felt stingy at first though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom