• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Move Over Horse Armor - The New Xbox Wireless Headset Comes With 6 Months Of Dolby Atmos

soulbait

I am sure it has already been covered on here, but here is the deal:

Dolby Atmos for your home theater system through the Xbox Series X is no charge. MS has already paid for the license fee to include that on the console.

Dolby Atmos for Headphones is a different software that you must pay a license for to use. You also have to pay for the license to use it on PC, but you can share the license between PC and Xbox.

OP is making a big fuss over nothing really. There are other headphone spatial audio setups you can choose: Windows Sonic (free), DTS Headphone:X ($20). They give you the choice in what you want to use. There is a free option, which would be similar to the spatial/3D audio (as in free, not comparing quality). If you want to use other industry standard processing, you have to pay a little extra. At least MS gives you a choice in what to use.

iQuasarLV

No one is trying to claim that new licenses and technologies dont cost more. But your specific claim was that Atmos specifically drives up the cost. But to try and claim its just Atmos is a bit silly.

What about DTS X? HDMI 2.1? VRR? More Channels. Etc Etc.
No. Just, No.

My claim was that Atmos for Windows home theater is free because Dolby charges the manufacturer of your receiver the royalty.

Which in turn you pay for when you buy a specific Atmos enabled receiver. That's why typically there are variants that do not have Atmos.

Do not put words in my mouth.

You asked for proof that Dolby charges for royalties in hardware. I provided one, yes an old patent, but one none the less.

I gave that descriptor, of insulin, to show that just because a patent is out of date does not exclude the company of "renewing" it for a new technology or refiling for a new variant. Also they are completely allowed to charge more for the new patented technology.

iQuasarLV

How is it still open is the question we should be asking.
I would guess...still new here... that it began with the Op being a blog/news post about a trial feature set. The opinion was placed in post #2. Then the mods saw, no matter how... robust... the debate as long as it was on topic, keep it open? /shrug.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Just read that ps5 doesn’t support Atmos in games or in apps like Netflix, that’s just crazy.

why would they not allow that through an amplifier? Really really strange decision by sony

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
No. Just, No.

My claim was that Atmos for Windows home theater is free because Dolby charges the manufacturer of your receiver the royalty.

Which in turn you pay for when you buy a specific Atmos enabled receiver. That's why typically there are variants that do not have Atmos.

Do not put words in my mouth.

You asked for proof that Dolby charges for royalties in hardware. I provided one, yes an old patent, but one none the less.

I gave that descriptor, of insulin, to show that just because a patent is out of date does not exclude the company of "renewing" it for a new technology or refiling for a new variant. Also they are completely allowed to charge more for the new patented technology.
"The reason its free on Windows is because the license fee is rolled into the receiver purchase hardware side. That's why Atmos receivers are so much more expensive than the non-variants."

No one is putting words in your mouth. You just said it again in a roundabout way.

"Which in turn you pay for when you buy a specific Atmos enabled receiver. That's why typically there are variants that do not have Atmos."

Variants that dont have atmos aren't just missing Atmos. They are missing loads of other features as well. Atmos is not the end all be all of what makes a receiver more expensive.

No one ever said they dont charge royalties. Your claim was that they are more expensive because of Atmos. You even called them Atmos receivers. Perhaps thats not what you meant. But I dont see how it can be interpreted any other way. To which is why I asked for receipts on how Atmos in particular makes them more expensive solely.

But I digress. Its not really worth going into any further. More bleeding edge technology as a whole will always cost more.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I bought the dolby license like 3 years ago on sale for 7 pounds and it's brilliant. I never expected it to come up and spawn a 12 page thread in 2021 just because a trial came with a pair of headphones that are made by Microsoft.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Just read that ps5 doesn’t support Atmos in games or in apps like Netflix, that’s just crazy.

why would they not allow that through an amplifier? Really really strange decision by sony

You should make a thread complaining about that. It would have at least as much merit as this thread and if you don't specifically mention Xbox that would mean it's not console warring, it's just pointing out something about a specific platform. :pie_roffles: "pie_tears_joy: :pie_roffles:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Last I heard Netflix on PS5 doesnt support DD+ even. No idea what the hold up is.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
You should make a thread complaining about that. It would have at least as much merit as this thread and if you don't specifically mention Xbox that would mean it's not console warring, it's just pointing out something about a specific platform. :pie_roffles: "pie_tears_joy: :pie_roffles:

we are bigger than that lol

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Please believe me, I SOOO wasn't serious. The last thing we need is a 12 page idiotic thread as an opposite companion to this idiotic thread.
I know that I said it in jest, I read your posts all the time in here. Don’t worry I know your not a massive warrior lol

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I dont feel like thats the answer. Unless Sony signed some really bad deal theres no reason to be behind everyone else in terms of what your app supports.
It could be they didn’t want to licence the tech and didn’t want to pay the money, they prob have the stats of how many connect the consoles upto multichannel amps

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
It could be they didn’t want to licence the tech and didn’t want to pay the money, they prob have the stats of how many connect the consoles upto multichannel amps
Most of, if not all, of the deals with Netflix include a kick back to device holder. If people aren;t watching on PS5 due to lack of these features then it doesnt make much sense to not include it.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Please believe me, I SOOO wasn't serious. The last thing we need is a 12 page idiotic thread as an opposite companion to this idiotic thread.
You only have to look at a thread topic and who started it to know which way it will go.

I love the way they are jumping at making threads without even researching the subject matter

been quotes in here of “tempest” using hundreds of objects but Atmos can only do 32 because Cerny said so. So that’s gospel to them.

Dobky comes out and says it’s Fud and Atmos handles 100s of objects , but the usual people pop up saying it’s Dolby damage control lol

then one posts a link saying this is why Cerny may of got confused, a link to a specific amp that’s 8 years old that has 32 speaker output. So basically saying Cerny didn’t know speaker outputs and objects

fanboyisim at its finest

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Most of, if not all, of the deals with Netflix include a kick back to device holder. If people aren;t watching on PS5 due to lack of these features then it doesnt make much sense to not include it.

yeah I 100% get where you are coming from but what about the people who want to use the ps5 for that.

this thread is made to criticise Microsoft for having the option of people want it for Atmos and yea it costs but then we have the other next gen console has the feature missing and can’t even add it

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
For those holding ms to the fire fir not including Dolby or dts, at least they include sonic as a free 3d audio option.

Sony on the other hand......

Built for a new generation​

Fine-tuned for 3D Audio1​

The PULSE 3D wireless headset has been specifically tuned to deliver the 3D Audio made possible by the PlayStation®5 console.