• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movie GAF 2018 |OT| What's new and What are you watching?

NovumAngel

Banned
Background-Narrow.jpg

Welcome to Movie Gaf:

The movie threads here on NeoGAF have been missing for a little while so now I’m hoping to bring back the two most popular threads (“Movie’s You’ve Seen Recently” and “15 Movies You Should See”) into one Movie thread.

With “Movies to Watch in ...” you’ll find some of the top movies hitting cinemas that month, let us know which movies you’ll be going to see!

Outside of that people are encouraged to post any and all movies they’ve watched, from the biggest blockbuster to an obscure art-house film. Please avoid making lists, include some comments about what you liked/disliked to get the conversation going.

Useful Links/Sites:

Introduce yourself:
New to the thread? Tell us a little about yourself
  • What’s your favourite movie?
  • Who’s your favourite director?
  • Who are your favorite actors/actresses?
  • Your favorite movie genre(s)?
  • Tell us some movies that you’ve been enjoying lately.

NovumAngel

Banned
Movies to Watch in May:
The Strangers: Prey at Night (9th in UK)

Horror
Starring: Christina Hendricks, Bailee Madison, and Martin Henderson.
A family of four staying at a secluded mobile home park for the night are stalked and then hunted by three masked psychopaths.
Tully (4th of May)

Comedy, Drama
Starring: Charlize Theron, Mackenzie Davis, Mark Duplass and Ron Livingston.
Marlo, a mother of three, is gifted a night nanny by her brother. Hesitant to the extravagance at first, Marlo comes to form a unique bond with the thoughtful, surprising, and sometimes challenging young nanny named Tully.
The Cured (11th in UK)

Drama, Horror, Sci-Fi
Starring: Ellen Page, Sam Keeley, and Tom Vaughan-Lawlor.
A disease that turns people into zombies has been cured. The once-infected zombies are discriminated against by society and their own families, which causes social issues to arise. This leads to militant government interference.
Dark Crimes (11th in USA)

Crime, Drama, Thriller
Starring: Jim Carrey, Charlotte Gainsbourg, and Marton Csokas.
A murder investigation of a slain business man turns to clues found in an author's book about an eerily similar crime. Based on the 2008 article "True Crimes - A postmodern murder mystery" by David Grann.
Terminal (11th in USA)

Drama, Thriller
Starring: Margot Robbie, Simon Pegg, Dexter Fletcher, Max Irons, and Mike Myers.
Two hitmen agree to take on a high-risk mission for a mysterious employer and a large paycheck. Along the way, they encounter a woman who may be more involved in their mission than they had realized.
Beast (11th in USA)

Drama
Starring: Jessie Buckley, Johnny Flynn, and Geraldine James.
A troubled woman living in an isolated community finds herself pulled between the control of her oppressive family and the allure of a secretive outsider suspected of a series of brutal murders.
Deadpool 2 (15th in UK, 18th in USA)

Action, Adventure, Comedy
Starring: Ryan Reynolds, Josh Brolin, Morena Baccarin, Julian Dennison, Zazie Beetz, T.J. Miller, Brianna Hildebrand, Jack Kesy, and Stefan Kapičić.
Deadpool forms a team of mutants called the X-Force to protect a young mutant from the time-traveling soldier Cable.
Allure (18th in UK)

Drama, Romance, Thriller
Starring: Evan Rachel Wood, Julia Sarah Stone, and Denis O'Hare.
A house cleaner meets a teenaged girl and convinces her to run away and live with her in secret.
Solo: A Star Wars Story (24th in UK, 25th in USA)

Action, Adventure, Fantasy
Starring: Alden Ehrenreich, Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke, Donald Glover, Thandie Newton, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Joonas Suotamo, and Paul Bettany.
During an adventure into a dark criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his future copilot Chewbacca and encounters Lando Calrissian years before joining the Rebellion.
The Breadwinner (25th in UK)

Animation, Drama, Family
Starring: Saara Chaudry, Soma Chhaya, and Noorin Gulamgaus.
A headstrong young girl in Afghanistan disguises herself as a boy in order to provide for her family.

01 May 2018
The Son of Bigfoot (2017)
04 May 2018
I Feel Pretty (2018) (UK)
The Strangers: Prey at Night (2018) (UK)
Tully (2018)
Lean on Pete (2017) (UK)
Overboard (2018) (USA)
Bad Samaritan (2018) (USA)
Racer and the Jailbird (2017) (USA)
Alex & The List (2018) (USA)
10 May 2018
Nothing to Lose (2018) (USA)
11 May 2018
Sherlock Gnomes (2018) (UK)
How to Talk to Girls at Parties (2017) (18th in USA)
Life of the Party (2018)
Revenge (2017)
7 Days in Entebbe (2018) (UK)
Breaking In (2018)
The Cured (2017) (UK)
Godard Mon Amour (2017) (UK)
Anon (2018) (UK)
Dark Crimes (2016) (USA)
Terminal (2018) (USA)
Beast (2017) (USA)
The Seagull (2018) (USA)
Measure of a Man (2018) (USA)
15 May 2018
Deadpool 2 (2018) (18th in USA)
18 May 2018
Submergence (2017) (UK)
On Chesil Beach (2017)
Allure (2017) (UK)
Book Club (2018) (USA)
First Reformed (2017) (USA)
23 May 2018
Paradox (2018) (USA)
24 May 2018
Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) (25th in USA)
25 May 2018
God's Not Dead: A Light in Darkness (2018) (UK)
Show Dogs (2018) (18th in USA)
The Breadwinner (2017) (UK)
Future World (2018) (USA)
Mary Shelley (2017) (USA)
26 May 2018
The Tale (2018) (USA)

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I will definitely be seeing Solo with my little brother when it comes to theatres. It has become a tradition to see anything Star Wars with him. He hasn't become jaded yet and helps bring me back to bein' a kid and just enjoyin' space explosions and hairy aliens.

Outside of that, I am not sure if I will see anything else. Deadpool 2 looks... okay, but I fear they showed too much in the trailers. Also worried that it won't be nearly as good as the first.

Fbh

Solo is already this month? Somehow in my head I thought this would come out at the end of the year.

Might check it out based on reactions. Not a fan of the casting and writing of Han based on the trailers (he just doesn't act like Han IMO) but aside from that it looks fun. Rogue one has been the only decent new SW movie IMO so maybe this other side story will be good.

Definitely going to watch Deadpool 2. Loved the first one.

As for what I've seen recently;

Black Phanter: 7/10
It was Ok though personally I wouldn't put it in my top 5 Marvel movies.
I didn't find T'challa very interestig (I'd kinda rather watch a movie about Okoye), some of the CGI was horrible for Marvel Standards and the action scenes where pretty lacking

Avenger Infinity War: 9/10
Now this was a lot of fun. The avengers movie I've wanted since the first one. High stakes, great action scenes, more contained fights instead of just big disposable armies. It wasn't perfect but I really didn't think they could pull of that storyline and with such a massive cast of characters. But they totally did.

Death of Stalin 8/10
I love comedies but at the same time I find 95% of comedy movies terrible and unfunny.
This was one of the few I've seen in recent years that I found legit funny and had me entertained and laughing the whole time. I'm usually not a fan of English speaking actors playing historical figures of other countries but in the context of a satirical comedy I can give it a pass

San Andreas 3/10
Kinda just had this playing on the background while doing some work.
About as generic as a disaster movie can be. Also, they kinda screwed up by having the rock play a rescue workers. Just doesn't seem as heroic when you see other rescue workers through the movie putting their personal struggles aside to go help as many people as possible. And the rock just ignores his duties and takes a rescue chopper with him to focus only on his family.

NovumAngel

Banned
Nothing I've seen of the Solo movie looks all that great tbh but I might end up going to see it since Star Wars movies still work well as a dumb big screen watch.

I wanted to see The Cured, maybe Beast as well, but I've been told my track record of picking the cinema movies has been crap so I'm not trusted with that anymore :(

I had hoped to start watching more movies this year and after an OK start it's starting to slow down, only 2 last month (a re-watch of Ready Player One and, of course, Infinity War).

I re-watched Dark Shadows (2012) the other night, I had watched it a few years ago and didn't think it was too bad but I don't really think it held up to well the second time. Johnny Depp is fine and the supporting female cast is pretty strong but the movie as a whole suffers from being too much and not enough at the same time.
There are too many plotlines from the original show shoehorned in, none of them fully developed leaving Michelle Pfeiffer, Helena Bonham Carter, and Chloë Grace Moretz with little screentime. Eva Green and her love/hate relationship with Depp's character is the main storyline, but again it feels halfbaked with alot of their scenes together put down by unfunny jokes and Green's dodgy accent. Bella Heathcote's character is also central to the movies plot, though I hardly remember anything about her.
On the surface there are a lot of things about this movie that I wanted to like but I ended up coming away disappointed. 2/5

Last edited:

Fbh

Picked up Valierian and the City of a Thousand Planets and Ghost in the Shell (Hollywood version). 2 Sci Fi movies that didn't convince me enough to go see in Theater but I'll give them a chance when I can rent them for a couple of bucks

Saw Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets last night 6/10
I really liked some of the creativity with the races and world but the writing and acting really killed this one.
There's one sequence early on where the main characters have to steal something from a multi dimensional market which had the sort of action based creativity I sometimes miss from modern Sci Fi movies. It was a cool reminder of the fun stuff you can do in a Sci Fi setting that goes beyond just Aliens and spaceships. Sadly the rest of the movie never reaches that level of creativity again.
The leads are supposed to be in love but to me there was zero chemistry between the actos and neither of the 2 character was particularly unique or likeable. The acting was also really bad, lots of scenes, including action packed ones, sounded like the actors were sitting in a room reading their script out loud, and the overall writing was pretty weak (half of the dialog is like the filler party banter you hear in a RPG)

Will watch Ghost in the Shell tonight. I'm actually interested to see how much I will like it since I don't consider the original movie to be as good as a lot of people say.

OH-MyCar

Will watch Ghost in the Shell tonight. I'm actually interested to see how much I will like it since I don't consider the original movie to be as good as a lot of people say.

If we had an unpopular opinion topic in OT, mine would be "Live action Ghost in the Shell? It's pretty decent". It's not amazing, but it's far more loyal to the source material than anyone gives it credit (and the "whitewashing" controversy is nonsense to me. Motoko was a doll, even a little girl at one point; in a Blade Runner melting-pot of a future no less. Mamoru Oshii even expressed similar views). Unlike a lot of what we're seeing out of Star Wars, you can tell the writers at least went through significant stretches of source material and hybridized a lot of the elements.

It's a good 7.5-8/10 of a movie to me. It's not BR2049, but not much is.

Fbh

If we had an unpopular opinion topic in OT, mine would be "Live action Ghost in the Shell? It's pretty decent". It's not amazing, but it's far more loyal to the source material than anyone gives it credit (and the "whitewashing" controversy is nonsense to me. Motoko was a doll, even a little girl at one point; in a Blade Runner melting-pot of a future no less. Mamoru Oshii even expressed similar views). Unlike a lot of what we're seeing out of Star Wars, you can tell the writers at least went through significant stretches of source material and hybridized a lot of the elements.

It's a good 7.5-8/10 of a movie to me. It's not BR2049, but not much is.

Will post my opinion after I watch it.
The trailers kinda looked cool IMO and I always got the impression it was a decent movie that got more shit than it deserved because of the casting (which, honestly, doesn't bother me that much)

Fbh

Ok watched it. I have to say, I can see why people didn't like it beyond the whole whitewashing controversy.
I guess as a standalone movie it's ok but I can't say I like the changes they made to the original story. In many ways I found it to be more generic and derivative than the original with the whole deal of her basically being forced to turn into a cyborg and the evil business men behind it. I also prefer the concept of the antagonist in the original

Grinchy

Banned
I kinda miss the GAF movie thread being active. I also just watched a turd of a movie and I want to bitch about it.

Rampart. Woody Harrelson in a movie directed by the same guy who directed The Messenger. Sure-fire hit, right? Fuck no. What a waste of a movie. I get what it was going for, but the complete lack of a plot is just not entertaining. It's an entire movie of the buildup of lots of little story threads and then it just ends abruptly without a single payoff to any of the setup. It's designed this way, but that doesn't make it good.

dorkimoe

I started to watch Blindspotting, but there was a quick scene of some terrible acting so I turned it off.

I also tried to watch John Carter and just got so bored with it. I was told Van Helsing wasnt bad and was a fun watch?"

J-Roderton

Think I may finally pop in Isle of Dogs tonight. I haven't really heard anything about it, but typically like Wes Anderson stuff.

Grinchy

Banned
I watched (or more realistically, sat through) White Boy Rick.

Don't waste your time. It was made well and everyone did a good job, but in the end, I was left just not caring. It was a real story about a guy I ended up just not caring about. He ended up doing 30 years in prison for trying to sell 8 kilos of cocaine. Wow, my sympathies!!

Watched Dark City for the first time the other night. I'm not sure if it's just aged incredibly badly or if it's just actually a shite film, but I was expecting a lot better. Especially when people usually mention The Matrix like the films have some kind of The Illusionist-The Prestige relationship. That definitely isn't the case. The Illusionist is a good film.

Top Bottom