• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movie scenes that make you shed a tear

Airbus Jr

Banned
images

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
When they killed the puppy in John Wick.

That still gets me -- it's a bit of a shameless trick ("see, they're so evil they kill puppies"), but it also works very well. I also have to admit I get a bit misty-eyed when Wick receives the puppy in the first place, both because it's sweet and because it represents that one last act of kindness from his wife.

Mihos

Gold Member
End of Deadpool 2 kind of got me when he is talking to Vanessa with A-Ha playing in the background

TacosNSalsa

I thought it was tastefully done . The breaking of the 4th wall with his scenes from the other movies showed it was made with the actor in mind not the character

Last edited:

scrob6

Banned
Holy shit - I've never seen Ready Player One and had no idea the Iron Giant was even in it!

Probably for the best, looking at the video...

It wasn't a huge thing. He was only in the movie for 3-4 minutes at most, if I remember correctly.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Does basically sobbing count? Because Arrival is one hell of a movie.

What exactly was sad about it? I’ll admit I hated the movie so I’m probably biased against it, but I found no part of it us any emotional weight. Even trying to think of what could be weighted though I’m struggling to come up with a scene that would be considered tear jerking.

(I will add I fully understand why some would like Arival, I just went in with way too high of expectations)

As for my tear jerker, The incinerator scene in Toy Story 3.

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
What exactly was sad about it? I’ll admit I hated the movie so I’m probably biased against it, but I found no part of it us any emotional weight. Even trying to think of what could be weighted though I’m struggling to come up with a scene that would be considered tear jerking.
It's not sad, it's beautiful. It's an expression of perfect love communicated to those not ready to receive it, whether you take that as from God to us or a parent to their child. The limitation of our times together or understanding of the one loved makes no difference to how much the one who loves is forever changed or our belonging to each other in the times we continue to live. If we could truly understand each other in such a depth, all fear would be dispelled. I feel like you somehow missed the entire movie.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Loads, but the one that comes to mind is probably the cliff-side battle in Last of the Mohicans where Uncas gets wasted by Magua and Alice bugs out

On the positives, Magua gets his comeuppance not soon after.

Also, the end of One flew over the cuckoo's nest

NorwayBot

Banned
Loads, but the one that comes to mind is probably the cliff-side battle in Last of the Mohicans where Uncas gets wasted by Magua and Alice bugs out

On the positives, Magua gets his comeuppance not soon after.

Also, the end of One flew over the cuckoo's nest

Very seldom do i face the "onions" when i watch a movie, but i can recall that the
The Last Of Mohicans scene got to me

First time i remember chocking up watching a movie was when i saw this in the theater, i was eight. Fucking brutal.....

Ewok's Death Scene

Paltheos

I very rarely cry at movies, but the end of Schindler's List gets me every time. When at the end of the war, staring at all the people he's freed, Schindler's left with nothing more to do but reflect. "I could have saved more." As he breaks down in that scene, so do I. Probably because it's so close to reality. So many Jews were senselessly killed. What else could we have done?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I remembered another one with you guys mentioning LOTR.

Remember when the guys wanted Eowyn to stay back because the battle would be too severe, but she was sneaky and joined undercover. Then they were also ragging on Merry, saying he didn't have a chance and would be useless, but she picked him up so they could both fight. Then they get to the battle and Merry sees the enemy line and is completely terrified and shaking, then it pans up and Eowyn also looks terrified, but nonetheless says "Courage, Merry! Courage for our friends!" because they weren't fighting to live but to rightly love everyone they wanted to do their living for. :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying:

MetalAlien

Banned
Tears of joy

Toy Story is still my favorite movie of all time, the CGI blew my 10 year old self away when I saw it in the theater. I still watch it from time to time, it's still great on repeat viewing.
If we are going to mention Toy Story in a sad thread we gotta mention this evil scene from part 2! EVIL!

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

Not a movie and an older thread but this scene from The Wire.. I'm rewatching it and can only think "Run Bodie ..PLEASE!!"

Not a traditional tear-jerker by any means. However this is just an absolutely cathartic and liberating scene - when placed in context - that almost always moves me. Finding freedom in surrender and letting go of fear is always deeply moving.

But if I'm going to go for the more traditional type of thing. I have to admit that I cry often during this scene. Yeah, sometimes I'm a sap. :p

Dural

The opening of A Quiet Place

I don't know if it's because I have kids of my own, but the opening scene where they lose their child gets me every time. Hell, I'm getting choked up thinking about it right now. :messenger_sad_relieved:

Last edited:

epicnemesis

The end of American Sniper, packed theater. I’m flat out sobbing as he is kissing his family goodbye to go to the shooting range. Apparently I was the only person in the theater who knew what was about to happen so it’s just me... ugly crying... audibly. And then the footage of the funeral procession and that just kicked it up to 11. I left the theater doing the air gasp thing you did as a kid when you recovered from crying over a dropped ice cream cone.

Not sure if this counts because I’ve only seen it once.

Also the end of Band Of Brothers when the real people talk about the real heros of the war.

Basically anything about soldier bravery and I’m trapped in a glass case of emotion.

Top Bottom