• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MoviePass (Unlimited Films in Theaters) Drops to $9.95 a Month

IconGrist

If someone could check 80033 and 80401 that would be very helpful. Pretty interested but not holding out any hope. Usually these things don't work out for me, lol.

Farsi

Their app is acting pretty screwy right now, though. Don't know if it's 'cause they are being hammered, or 'cause their app just blows. Hopefully the former.

If it's not the former, it's going to be. This deal is going to go viral within the next few hours for sure.

meow

If this works at the iPic in 10038 (could someone please just check that one), I am so in. If it works in manhattan at all, I'm most likely in also.

sinkfla87

If you go on their website and click chat support they will give you available theatres near you. They said their theater search is currently down on the main page, thus its absence.

48315 if possible. thx in advance.

Seems like the only screenings they don't work with at my theater are Dbox and Imax. I am so glad we have a reserved seating, 2D showing screen with those big ass comfy reclining chairs. Seriously awesome that this work for that. I'll be using the shit out of it for as long as they keep this going.

is there a way to add a second sub for my girlfriend?

Was wondering this too. Don't see any option for it. Just gonna sign up for another account for my wife.

So you have to be within 100 ft to book a ticket?

That's a MAJOR downside if your local theater have all switched to reservation seating like the ones near me have. It pretty much makes it impossible to see movies with friends...or good seats

Toothless

I've tried to sign up on both the website and in their app and neither lets me get past entering my payment details. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: I got it to work and I'm seeing no theaters near 85340 or 85719, the two zip codes I'm moving between. Can any one confirm that? If so I'm cancelling this before I get my card.

There is none for 85340 but the other has:

Century 20 El Con
Century Tucson Marketplaxe
Century Park Place Mall 20
Century Gateway 12
AMC Loews Foothills 15.

Oh since we're getting checks, can we do 10001

no i'm not typing out all the NYC theaters

Studio Movie Grill Darby
Bow Tie Cinemas Anthony Wayne 5
UA King of Prussia Stadium 16 IMAX
Bryn Mawr Film Institute
Regal Plymouth Meeting 10
Regal Edgmont Square 10
Regal Oaks Stadium 24
AMC Plymouth Meeting Mall 12
AMC Marple 10
Narberth Stadium 2
Providence Town Center
AMC Granite Run 8
Bow Tie Bala Theater
Colonial Theater Phoenix ville
Movie Tavern Flourtown
UA Main Street Theater 6
Ambler Theater

Wow! Thanks for the look up. For some reason, in the app when I put the zip, it only shows the top one, Upper Darby, and nothing else :( I have it on Android.

I was a subscriber for 5 years, but I dropped when it went to $50 a month. What's going on here? Last-ditch effort to save the company? Did they drop half the theaters in NYC? This makes no sense.

kaskade

Ok, looks like the only theatres that show up right when I sign up allow for etickets?

It says get a moviepass card to show more theaters, so maybe when that comes in I could see more?

All four of those theaters are supported but that's it within 10 miles.

Thanks. Surprised Rio and Rockville are support, as Rio is a huge fancy theater and always full (they make $$$!) with a bunch of 3D/IMAX stuff and Rockville is reserve seating, but sounds great. Will prob sign up.

YIKES, this is shady. I'm going to put the effort in to call and see what takes the card in my area. This looks awesome.

I've used the service for years. The only issue I've had is not being able to pre-book seats, but overall it's been flawless. It went up from $30 to $50 a month for me at one point, but I still see 4+ movies in the theaters each month, so I'm still saving money.

Moviepass supposedly is pretty terrible. I listen to a horror podcast where a couple of them signed up to save money since they see films for the podcast every week and they concluded it's pretty much a racket that's way more hassle than it was worth. Even seeing a movie every week they said it would've been better to just pay the full price for the ticket.

At the previous price point, I'd say it wouldn't be beneficial for people who only see one movie a week. At this point though, it's kind of a no-brainer.

I really don't get how this is so cheap. Caught between that and jealousy at its unavailability where I'm at.

They will sell data from all these new users to Hollywood for millions.

So you have to be within 100 ft to book a ticket?

That's a MAJOR downside if your local theater have all switched to reservation seating like the ones near me have. It pretty much makes it impossible to see movies with friends...or good seats

I live near some theaters, so I just go in the morning before the showing, buy my ticket and I usually have zero problems. Now, if it's a speciality theater (like Metrograph or Quad or Film Society of Lincoln Center or something) that's farther away, it's more of a pain.

Penguin

Century 20 El Con
Century Gateway 12
AMC Loews Foothills 15.

Ha just wanna make sure I had options

Since sometimes we get boned or have to pay extra

Found more info: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-pay-10-a-month-go-to-the-movies-all-you-want

Looks like they are doing this to amass as many users as possible and sell that viewing data Hollywood, which will pay a pretty penny.

Fine by me! Although, one would think normal viewing habits are skewed if you are essentially seeing movies for free.

Yeah, I think this could actually work if they get enough subs. If they can get to tens of thousands of users with reliably accurate demographic data (age, gender, location, maybe even ethnicity), I would think studios will pay a pretty penny to see what type of people are actually watching their movies with that large of a sample size.

I was a subscriber for 5 years, but I dropped when it went to $50 a month. What's going on here? Last-ditch effort to save the company? Did they drop half the theaters in NYC? This makes no sense.

Nope, still all the same theaters in NYC are available. Like I said before, they are likely trying to incur a surge in their user base so they can sell this data to Hollywood for millions.

Sigma722

It works with reserved seating. It's just a bit more of a pain with reserved seating, because if you want a good seat you have to go to the theater earlier in the day to get the reserved seat, because 20 minutes before the show, it might not be available. This normally isn't a problem for 2nd-3rd week movies.

The company sends you a credit card. You check into movies in the app on your phone when you are within 100 yards of the theater. That unlocks it to be run for the price of the movie ticket.

Pretty much any theater that accepts credit cards will accept this as this company is not working with movie theaters.

The only theaters that it will most likely not accept are ones that are luxury only type situations, or that don't publish their times/prices online.

Toothless

If someone could check 80033 and 80401 that would be very helpful. Pretty interested but not holding out any hope. Usually these things don't work out for me, lol.

AMC Westminster Promenade 24
AMC Flatiron Crossing 14
AMC Cherry Creek 8
AMC Bowles Crossing 12

Can someone check zip code 21014? I'd greatly appreciate it :)

Horizon Cinemas Fallston
Flagship Cinemas 7 Churchville
Regal Bel Air Cinema Stadium 14

Can someone check 54403 please? Much appreciated!

Within 20 miles:

Marcus Cedar Creek Cinema
Cosmo Theatre
Palace Theatre - Antigo

If this works at the iPic in 10038, I am so in. If it works in manhattan at all, I'm most likely in also.

I don't see an iPic. Does it have a different name? It does work in a ton of Manhattan theaters tho.

Can anyone possibly check 90004? Would very much appreciate it.

There's a ton within 5 miles. You can ask for a specific theater if you want but yeah it works a lot of places

Can someone please check within 10 miles of 02148? Thanks in advance.

AMC Assembly Row 12
AMC Loews Boston Common 19
AMC Burlington 10
AMC Loews Liberty Tree Mall 20

snap

Banned

Century 20 El Con
Century Gateway 12
AMC Loews Foothills 15.

Thanks! I think what's happening is that it's only listing theaters you don't need the MoviePass card for right now, which is why all of those Regal theaters don't show up right now (there's a message at the bottom telling me to get a MoviePass card to see more theaters).

Shame Harkins isn't a part of this, they're probably the best theater chain in the state.

Samus4145

If someone could do 11756. Just need to know if the Broadway Mall one is listed.

Also, since you can't book ahead of time, do you still get to pick your seats? All the theaters by me are reserved seating only.

Farsi

It works with reserved seating. It's just a bit more of a pain with reserved seating, because if you want a good seat you have to go to the theater earlier in the day to get the reserved seat, because 20 minutes before the show, it might not be available. This normally isn't a problem for 2nd-3rd week movies.

The company sends you a credit card. You check into movies in the app on your phone when you are within 100 yards of the theater. That unlocks it to be run for the price of the movie ticket.

Pretty much any theater that accepts credit cards will accept this as this company is not working with movie theaters.

The only theaters that it will most likely not accept are ones that are luxury only type situations, or that don't publish their times/prices online.

Thanks for the information, and thanks for that tip with reserved seating. That's huge for me.

Z3M0G

I'd review TOS very carefully... "other revenue streams" from the improved userbase sounds like it could be shady as fuck.

Top Bottom