• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies Anywhere - New Digital Movie Locker

Machine

Yeah, it's not got even half of my Google Play movies yet, but I'll just chalk it up to first day glitches.

I wonder if there are holdouts besides Paramount and that's why some stuff isn't migrating. I noticed several of my Amazon and Google movies didn't cross over. Hopefully they add tv shows at some point too.

This permanently adds them to all your connected accounts?

This is amazing

As 'permanently' as the service exists. ;)

I had the issue with iTunes saying it was 'Unable to connect' - I had added it last night, but I guess they reset everything because when I looked this morning everything else was unlinked on the MA side.

Had to go into the iTunes store and unlink MA and now it's good to go.

Really hope we get 4K upgrades on iTunes for things brought over from other services!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so this is basically exactly what Disney has been doing, but now with more studios. awesome.

linked amazon and iTunes. Heopfully all of my stuff links back to iTunes even on other services, if only for the free 4K upgrades.

Makes me a little nervous that I don't really understand how all this shit works together. If I own movies on UV/Vudu, and I link with Movies Anywhere, and then UV dies completely and Vudu shuts down entirely, will I still have my movies on Movies Anywhere?

And why's everyone talking about transferring to iTunes? Don't I just move everything to Movies Anywhere and use all their apps and shit? Is there a Movies Anywhere Roku app?

But this sounds very consumer friendly and the best of all possible worlds?

The movies transfer to both the MA app as well as the other connected services. So anything you bought on vudu will show up in iTunes. If vudu then dies, anything you had linked to iTunes should stay there permanently despite the loss of its original source, because transfers are just a one time free purchase basically, not an ongoing link that keeps checking the original purchase for confirmation every time you watch it.

This is amazing. I’ve used an Apple TV for years so I’m used to paying a ton for a smaller library. The market for UV codes is much less expensive.

borghe

Yep. I bought Deadpool on Amazon when it first came out, and now I can stream it in 4K through Apple. Fantastical.

even better, for linking services you get LEGO Movie for free, which is also 4K Dolby on iTunes!

I mean really.. there is no downside here. Well aside from needing to actually BUY movies to make use of it.

borghe

This is amazing. I’ve used an Apple TV for years so I’m used to paying a ton for a smaller library. The market for UV codes is much less expensive.

oh shit, I never even thought that now I can actually redeem UV codes from all of my Blu-rays and FINALLY get them on iTunes, AND upgraded to 4K. SCORE!!

Got everything linked except for vudu. I mostly only use that so it's interesting seeing the freebies I got on other services and forgot about. I bought an sd copy of Grosse Point Blanke on itunes back in 06.

giga

Where do you guys buy UV or iTunes codes from? Does it matter which you get now since Movies Anywhere will transfer the movie to all other services freely?

borghe

I'm seeing duplicates of some movies in iTunes now after linking everything. Weird.

yeah this is going to happen and there's no way around it. It's not an Apple problem but a studio licensing problem. Studios will effectively deprecate prior versions of movies as they release new versions/packaging. So for instance the director's cuts that I bought for Alien and Aliens appear nowhere on iTunes anymore (but still show up in Purchased and I can download them). If I were to buy the Aliens pack that is currently on the store, Alien and Aliens would show up twice. This actually happened somehow with the first Captain America movie.

It's annoying, but up to now has been super rare. I can see it becoming a little more common here. Ideally services eventually would allow you to hide movies(?)

Does anyone have a link for the android app?

to be correct, you don't actually NEED the app. Your movies should sync back to your provider of choice.

gcubed

As 'permanently' as the service exists. ;)

I had the issue with iTunes saying it was 'Unable to connect' - I had added it last night, but I guess they reset everything because when I looked this morning everything else was unlinked on the MA side.

Had to go into the iTunes store and unlink MA and now it's good to go.

Really hope we get 4K upgrades on iTunes for things brought over from other services!

Oh, well, that’s not as good as I thought but at least it’s a Disney venture, so it’s not going to disappear

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Just gotta wait for VUDU now... Silly that you can only get 2 movies added in until you add a second service. Added Amazon in for the 2 movies I had in there, at least.

borghe

this has already been verified. As long as you are entitled to the HD copy, you will get it upgraded to 4K on iTunes. The LEGO Movie they give you free as part of signing up is 4K Dolby Vision in iTunes.

in fact they'll even upgrade old SD digital copies to HD AND 4K on Apple. So my old Sherlock Holmes SD digital copy was updated to HD on all services, and 4K on apple.

borghe

yup just verified for sure. all old SD digital copies are automatically upgraded to HD (and 4K on apple). Every SD movie I had on apple was upgraded to HD and 4K when possible.

Rootbeer

Banned
vudu will supposedly be fixed within the next 4 hours. so try again later today and hope it works.

And yeah I get my 4K disc of Spider-Man homecoming very soon, will be interesting to see which services show the UHD version available after I redeem it.

I'm assuming all Disney Movies Anywhere codes are now just used on this new site for redemption. I'll know for sure soon, lol.

giga

What's the support for this on the Amazon FireTV?

Link your accounts and you should your movies from other services sync to your amazon video library. Don't think you even need the movies anywhere app to benefit from this.

Guys, The Lego Batman movie is in sale at Amazon, it now transfers everywhere!

Bought it on amazon and it showed up within seconds in my iTunes library. Now I'm actually compelled to buy stuff from competing services and hopefully this increases competition even more.

Lqj8BuR.png

//ARCANUM

Hey, is Vudu just not connecting for everyone? I hit all the buttons, hit connect on vudu, then it just loads the main Vudu page and nothing connects.

edit - also, I guess it makes sense... but indie stuff isn't included in this huh? I have Super Dark Times on iTunes which was put out by The Orchard. I've connected my iTunes account and other things show up, but not Super Dark Times.

Bought it on amazon and it showed up within seconds in my iTunes library. Now I'm actually compelled to buy stuff from competing services and hopefully this increases competition even more.

Lqj8BuR.png

Exactly! Now if you happen to have an Apple TV 4K, then that movie ends up being the 4K versions.

The other benefit from this is that if you rely on your iTunes library like I do, you can download all of these movies and keep them so long as iTunes is in service. Even if this dies, as long as you have your download on your computer, you’ll be able to watch all of these movies without any issues. No need to verify the account or anything (Unless it’s a new computer or device).

aka_bueno

Ok this is great! Just waiting on Vudu now. Anyone else have any deals going on now? Thanks for the LEGO Batman tip, bought asap

giga

Hey, is Vudu just not connecting for everyone? I hit all the buttons, hit connect on vudu, then it just loads the main Vudu page and nothing connects.

edit - also, I guess it makes sense... but indie stuff isn't included in this huh? I have Super Dark Times on iTunes which was put out by The Orchard. I've connected my iTunes account and other things show up, but not Super Dark Times.
Nope just these studios.

mNli6ED.png

Chesskid1

Banned
do you guys claim the free tv shows (usually the 1st episodes of seasons) from itunes/vudu/etc that seem to rotate? just curious.

this has already been verified. As long as you are entitled to the HD copy, you will get it upgraded to 4K on iTunes. The LEGO Movie they give you free as part of signing up is 4K Dolby Vision in iTunes.

in fact they'll even upgrade old SD digital copies to HD AND 4K on Apple. So my old Sherlock Holmes SD digital copy was updated to HD on all services, and 4K on apple.

yup just verified for sure. all old SD digital copies are automatically upgraded to HD (and 4K on apple). Every SD movie I had on apple was upgraded to HD and 4K when possible.

Apple gets a lot of shit for closed ecosystems and proprietary tech, some of it deserved, and some not.

But they really killed it with how they handled their 4K launch, upgrading all of your purchases to 4K. And now with this service, any movie you own on Amazon or Google or VUDU can now stream thru Apple in 4K.

That’s awesome as shit and they deserve some major props.

Just FYI if you were concerned about getting free movies you don’t want, iTunes has the option to hide purchases. Not sure about the other services.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Just FYI if you were concerned about getting free movies you don’t want, iTunes has the option to hide purchases. Not sure about the other services.

You can outright delete purchases on Vudu.
So be careful, haha.

EDIT: Actually to clarify, I think you'd need to delete the movie from your UV library.
So if the movie is UV, you'd do this over at the UV site.

DOWN

Banned
If I had already connected iTunes last night but it has since disconnected when they reset everything, what should I do? Just try again?

EDIT: when I try to connect now it says Unable to connect...

Top Bottom