• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies Anywhere - New Digital Movie Locker

patience is good advice really.

i waited forever in chat to ask about my DMA account not migrating to MA, and they said it was a generic error due to the high volume and it should go through eventually.

A lot of these issues should go away in a few days or whatever.

I know. It’s not even like I’m dying to watch a certain movie, everything is good save for two: Kingdom of Heaven and Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, neither of which I’m planning on watching anytime in the near future. So it’s fine, I can wait.

Any comments on the movies saying 4K in the info pane on iTunes but not playing in 4K unless they were originally bought on iTunes?

I don’t plan on hearing back from engineering for a time, they like to do their thing. Engineering will tell the senior advisor who I worked with who will relay it to me and back and forth if need be. If I don’t get a response by Friday next week I’ll call in again and see if there’s an update, but don’t hold your breath for a super speedy response

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Whereabouts should I see MA in iTunes? I'm on my account page and it has Apple ID Summary, iTunes in the Cloud, Purchase History, and Settings. Don't see MA anywhere, but it says my iTunes is linked in MA

edit: just saw Zeyphs post, I guess I'll wait it out

on device it should be right above Subscriptions and iTunes in the Cloud.

on PC/Mac is should be at the very bottom of Apple ID Summary. After computer authorizations on mine.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So it took about 2 hours yesterday for my VUDU library to sync over completely to MA. I have about 750 movies there, most of which transferred over and best I can tell the ones that didn't aren't part of the MA program.

This morning I bought Spider-Man in UHD. It shows UHD in VUDU and that it's MA eligible, but it's been about 6 hours now and it still hasn't synced to MA. I even tried reconnecting my accounts, but no luck.

I guess their services are probably getting slammed from all the new users at this point. Hopefully it syncs through soon.

DOWN

Banned
The only real difference is the SD to HD which... I guess is neat for some of the really old crap I had redeemed years and years ago. Most were upgraded with subsequent codes from Bluray purchases already.

Expired UV codes work all the time. I've rarely come across any that don't.

It's all the same crap, a nice big digital locker. UV worked fine, I have nearly (checks again) 1,724 movies on VUDU. About 95% of that is UV with a big chunk coming from disc to digital conversion (which by the way, is sweet and not part of MA)

If finally all studios agree and join in, awesome. But UV wasn't struggling or anything.
UV wasn’t always what it is now. Expired codes frequently didn’t work in the first several years, it wouldn’t add old purchases that weren’t from UV codes, etc. DMA and MA are far better. Protected your old and new purchases and brought them to full HD. That was more influential over UV and was the gold standard for a locker. Thank god MA and Disney won.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
UV wasn’t always what it is now. Expired codes frequently didn’t work in the first several years, it wouldn’t add old purchases that weren’t from UV codes, etc. DMA and MA are far better. Protected your old and new purchases and brought them to full HD. That was more influential over UV and was the gold standard for a locker. Thank god MA and Disney won.

Well that's how it's been for the last several years, no point comparing to how it started.
Been great since then.

Also, disc to digtal.... c'mon. You know that's good stuff.

Weevilone

So it took about 2 hours yesterday for my VUDU library to sync over completely to MA. I have about 750 movies there, most of which transferred over and best I can tell the ones that didn't aren't part of the MA program.

This morning I bought Spider-Man in UHD. It shows UHD in VUDU and that it's MA eligible, but it's been about 6 hours now and it still hasn't synced to MA. I even tried reconnecting my accounts, but no luck.

I guess their services are probably getting slammed from all the new users at this point. Hopefully it syncs through soon.

I was thinking the same thing about the same title. Then I purchased a UV/MA compatible movie on sale at Vudu and it synced to MA in like 30 seconds. It's possible that movies porting from UV to Vudu to MA is slower than a title purchased straight as MA on Vudu though.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I was thinking the same thing about the same title. Then I purchased a UV/MA compatible movie on sale at Vudu and it synced to MA in like 30 seconds. It's possible that movies porting from UV to Vudu to MA is slower than a title purchased straight as MA on Vudu though.

Hmmm could just be that movie then, good to know

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I was thinking the same thing about the same title. Then I purchased a UV/MA compatible movie on sale at Vudu and it synced to MA in like 30 seconds.

Yeah, I tested an iTunes code on a MA/UV movie, and it synced to MA in about the same time.
Then other users sharing my UV saw the movie within the hour.

Love how it propagates everywhere.

Just wish iTunes would fully sync...

Weevilone

I've held onto Fox UHD codes (and some others) in hopes that someday they would sync UHD with UV.

Now that MA is a thing, how do you suppose that it's best to redeem those? I'm thinking redeem on iTunes if it's MA and UHD there. I wonder if that will produce UHD on iTunes, then port to MA (as UHD?), then subsequently to Vudu via MA (as HDX?) so it can be shared to my family members that do UV sharing.

rjinaz

Just a reminder to those that may be new to the whole digital scene. VUDU has digital conversion of movies for $2. Many of these movies will transfer to itunes, Amazon, or wherever you connected to through MA.

It's usually about this time of the year that I add a dozen Horror movies to my collection. There are tons of movies D2D eligible.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Good point rjinaz!
Disc to digial should work for MA folks since many are UV/MA.
Just check to make sure it's both.

I've held onto Fox UHD codes (and some others) in hopes that someday they would sync UHD with UV.

Now that MA is a thing, how do you suppose that it's best to redeem those? I'm thinking redeem on iTunes if it's MA and UHD there. I wonder if that will produce UHD on iTunes, then port to MA (as UHD?), then subsequently to Vudu via MA (as HDX?) so it can be shared to my family members that do UV sharing.

Check the movie on Vudu's site and see if it's MA, UV, or both.
For example: https://www.vudu.com/movies/#!content/853471/Alien-Covenant

It's both, so best would be redeem on iTunes so you get the REAL 4K version if it exists (or if it doesn't, it should upgrade whenever it is available).
You'll then get it on Vudu as HDX under MA, and then your family with get it as HDX under UV.

rjinaz

Good point rjinaz!
Disc to digial should work for MA folks since many are UV/MA.
Just check to make sure it's both.

Check the movie on Vudu's site and see if it's MA, UV, or both.
For example: https://www.vudu.com/movies/#!content/853471/Alien-Covenant

It's both, so best would be redeem on iTunes so you get the REAL 4K version if it exists (or if it doesn't, it should upgrade whenever it is available).
You'll then get it on Vudu as HDX under MA, and then your family with get it as HDX under UV.

It's actually pretty cool, it essentially makes D2D available for all. I'm surprised there wasn't more of a fuss about it from Disney. All the money goes to VUDU. Makes me wonder if they'll stop the program or maybe the other places will get their own version of D2D.

J_Viper

Apologies if this has been asked already, but would Fandango Now purchases be eligible for MA?

They have solid deal going on for a Friday the 13th bundle.

I don't usually buy digital films, but seeing as how that F13 box set is out of print, this is the only way to own these

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Apologies if this has been asked already, but would Fandango Now purchases be eligible for MA?

I don't usually buy digital films, but seeing as how that F13 box set is out of print, this is the only way to own these

Are the movies UV and MA?
Check their status on Vudu.com

Ashhong

on device it should be right above Subscriptions and iTunes in the Cloud.

on PC/Mac is should be at the very bottom of Apple ID Summary. After computer authorizations on mine.

Nope, ends with authorizations for me. Can't unlink it from MA because it says 180 days or something before you can relink it. So I guess my only choice is to wait?

Still can't migrate my DMA either..

jshackles

Well speak of the devil, Spider-Man just transferred over (although it's still not showing up on my "My Movies" list). I guess I just had to complain about it on GAF to make it happen.

I don’t fully understand all this as I haven’t messed with other services beyond iTunes. Linking Vudu, which I didn’t know I had, and iTunes to this gave me a bunch of UV movies so that’s cool.

Don’t think I’ve ever bought an Amazon or Google movie, but in theory they’d transfer over to iTunes if bought on sale, right?

Also neat that a number of these movies show up as 4K.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Jaysus

Nipo

If the movie is UV compatible on fandango it will transfer to Vudu. Once it transfer to Vudu it will be in movies anywhere*

Unless it is a lions gate/paramount film

jrush64

Banned
This is an odd question. If I have an SD movie UV on vudu. Will it turn to HD on this movies anywhere?

Also, is anyone having issues with their Batman v Superman not showing Ultimate Edition.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Vudu only supports dolbyvision HDR right now so even if it were on xbox you wouldn't be getting HDR and are better served with an HDR10 service. .

I just want easy access. If I'm having movie night or showing off the setup I'll use the disc

SaintR

Everything has synced except my iTunes stil, not even showing up on my iTunes account as linked just on the MA site. Calling Movies Anywhere gives me either an eternal hold but it’s better than iTunes support who hasn’t gotten back to me yet. I’m thinking I might just leave this for a week and come back to this and see if it’s still with issues. Maybe by then the call center will be better at least.

jshackles

VUDU has been my go-to digital movie locker for a few years now, mostly due to D2D and the ability to easily redeem UV codes from blu rays. They also usually run some pretty good special promotions and bundles, and every once in a while they do crazy credit promotions (like a few of my friends at work have given me their codes from movies and their TMobile credits).

I guess 750 works out to about a movie a day though, which admittedly is pretty crazy. But not nearly as crazy as my Steam account.

J_Viper

If the movie is UV compatible on fandango it will transfer to Vudu. Once it transfer to Vudu it will be in movies anywhere*

Unless it is a lions gate/paramount film
Yeah F13 is Paramount, so it won't work with MA

Thanks for the rundown though

Hmm, I checked the Vudu app on my LG TV and it's not great compared with Amazon's. If I connect my Amazon account, will I also get my UHD movies there?

Hmm, I checked the Vudu app on my LG TV and it's not great compared with Amazon's. If I connect my Amazon account, will I also get my UHD movies there?

Not currently transferring to Amazon as uhd. I have spiderman: homecoming in uhd on Vudu. Only hd on Amazon. It is uhd on Google though...

it's not. If you play it on an Apple TV 4K, the info banner (while playing) will say HD Dolby Vision, and the developer hud will report Dolby Vision color space, 2238x938 file resolution (something like that), and a peak bitrate of ~15Mb and an average bitrate of ~9Mb.

A full UHD movie on Apple TV 4K reports at 3840x1600 (2.35:1 movies), and a peak bitrate of ~30Mb with an average bitrate of usually ~20-24Mb.
Assuming this is h.265... Why do some people seem disappointed?

Above 1080p resolution, theoretically around Blu-ray quality, and HDR on a movie that probably wasn't even finished in 4K? Sounds great to me.

Does it not look as good in real world viewing?

Rootbeer

Banned
The all-time Nintendo classic The Wizard is on AIV for $5. It's UV/MA-compatible and ported instantly for me to VUDU and MA.

It's been that price on VUDU before, but if you missed it, here it is again...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002DJPP74/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The Power Glove - it's so BAD!
Cool, picked it up. Been years since I've seen it from start to finish. Ported instantly for me as well.

Meanwhile, Spider-Man homecoming hasn't ported to anything beyond vudu (from fandango now) I'm patient, just the inconsistency of how fast things port over is irritating.

Nipo

Yeah F13 is Paramount, so it won't work with MA

Thanks for the rundown though

Yea, then you'll get it in Vudu but not Amazon/Itunes/google. There is a possibility paramount will join MA but watching F13 on a random tuesday is prob less fun.

DOWN

Banned

Above 1080p resolution, theoretically around Blu-ray quality, and HDR on a movie that probably wasn't even finished in 4K? Sounds great to me.

Becuase if a 4K version is available and can be bought on iTunes it’s annoying that your purchase doesn’t get the iTunes auto upgrade

Becuase if a 4K version is available and can be bought on iTunes it's annoying that your purchase doesn't get the iTunes auto upgrade

Sure but how many of those are actually 4K and not a 1080p upscale, like most UHD Blu-rays are? What matters is how the actual image quality compares...

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Sure but how many of those are actually 4K and not a 1080p upscale, like most UHD Blu-rays are? What matters is how the actual image quality compares...

Sure, and those that aren’t?
It’s just seems silly not to go ahead and give the full 4K version rather than this odd middlestep.

borghe

H.265 is HEVC? If so yeah, it’s HEVC.

It’s actually pretty good, especially considering you’re watching it for a free (presumably?) redemption. Any codes I have redeemed right now like this I can’t even see myself paying to upgrade to full 4K. All of them are movies I previously redeemed as SD anyway, so I get HD+ for like 7-9 year old SD digital copy redemptions? Yes please!!!
Becuase if a 4K version is available and can be bought on iTunes it’s annoying that your purchase doesn’t get the iTunes auto upgrade
I actually completely disagree. Apple shocked everyone by saying HD and 4K were the same purchase, and a month later there still isn’t a single rumbling that anyone is going to follow suit. If the price of that is that purchases FROM OTHER RETAILERS don’t get converted.... it’s like getting a free car and then complaining that you got it with only a half full tank. If you want 4K on Apple, buy it in Apple. If you are shopping around for better HD prices on other retailers, you get HD. Doesn’t at all seem unreasonable.

You get the lesser video because you paid HD prices and not to them. If you want 4K for HD prices you have to buy it from them.

Ninhead

Is it strange that all my iTunes copies are showing up on Amazon, but my Amazon (mainly Baby Driver and Blade Runner) and Vudu aren't showing up in iTunes?

borghe

Ok I bought Pacific Rim UHD on Vudu. Will wait for it to sync to iTunes to see if I get 4K or not.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
My DMA stuff and my Amazon stuff showed up in MA. None of my UV and/or Vudu stuff did.
Is this normal?

Also, my more recent DMA movies like Dr. Strange and Guardians 2 weren't showing up in Vudu (but all the rest were) until I linked DMA and MA. Then they did and those two started showing up in My Movies in Vudu. But if I went to play them it said I didn't own them at any resolution, which is bizarre and something I've never seen before. Today it shows that I own them up to 1080p. (I bought Guardians 2 in physical UHD.)

jrush64

Banned
How do I know if my iTunes movies are 4k? Will it show 4k on the menu. None of Vudu 4k movies are showing 4k on iTunes.

DOWN

Banned
How do I know if my iTunes movies are 4k? Will it show 4k on the menu. None of Vudu 4k movies are showing 4k on iTunes.
Right now, regardless of what a movie says it is on iTunes under its info, it will only play in 4K if you either purchased or redeemed the movie on iTunes originally. So far it doesn’t seem anything transfers to iTunes AND actually plays in 4K, despite many movies that people had in 4K or HD showing up in iTunes with the 4K label on it.

borghe

Hmm. Pacific Rim synced right away to Google. Still nothing in iTunes though. Wonder if I’m screwed. Will continue to wait.

Top Bottom