• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| August 2017

Finally watched Guardians 2.

Loved it. Much funnier than the first one, Drax was godamn hilarious.

Also teared up a little bit near the end when
Yondu died
. Didn't see that coming.

Also, end-credits stinger
ADAM FUCKING WARLOCK SON!! WOO
I agree. Since they didn't have to establish the main characters this time around, if felt like the jokes were more creative and out there. And the character development that happened felt natural and not forced most of the time.

Edit: New page oh shit waddup

Finally watched Guardians 2.

Loved it. Much funnier than the first one, Drax was godamn hilarious.

Also teared up a little bit near the end when
Yondu died
. Didn't see that coming.

Also, end-credits stinger
ADAM FUCKING WARLOCK SON!! WOO

I agree. Since they didn't have to establish the main characters this time around, if felt like the jokes were more creative and out there. And the character development that happened felt natural and not forced most of the time.

Edit: New page oh shit waddup

I thought the jokes were a bit hit and miss. Some of them went on too long (
duct tape didn't need to last two minutes; it was funny when it started but became dumb
) and some of the best jokes were in the trailers.

Still liked 1 more than 2 but I think that was due to expectations. I thought 1 looked dumb when I saw the trailers, then the movie blew me away. Went into 2 with high expectations and came out liking it but it didn't meet those lofty expectations of mine.

Are we getting a 3rd Guardians movie or are they just getting wrapped into the Marvel-verse for the last two movies and that's it?

kevin1025

Banned
I thought the jokes were a bit hit and miss. Some of them went on too long (
duct tape didn't need to last two minutes; it was funny when it started but became dumb
) and some of the best jokes were in the trailers.

Still liked 1 more than 2 but I think that was due to expectations. I thought 1 looked dumb when I saw the trailers, then the movie blew me away. Went into 2 with high expectations and came out liking it but it didn't meet those lofty expectations of mine.

Are we getting a 3rd Guardians movie or are they just getting wrapped into the Marvel-verse for the last two movies and that's it?

There will be a Vol. 3! And James Gunn is returning again.

Kingdom of Heaven- Director's Cut
Technically impressive, but it didn't grab my attention all that much. The sets, costumes, cinematography are all top notch and really did a terrific job of bringing a historical setting to life. While the film didn't really make me care for its characters, the themes and the historical court intrigues kept me engaged.

Inglourious Basterds
Inexplicably, I felt an urge to rewatch this and it was incredibly cathartic.
Not gonna lie, Eli Roth beating a Nazi to death with a baseball bat made me hard.

Believe me, Last Knight is WAY worse

I am oddly curious to 'how much' though. I couldn't even sit through the fourth and just did the Mortal Kombat 2 lifehack: watch the first five minutes, fastforward everything else, watch the last five minutes.
Everything between that is literally of zero importance or relevance to the plot.

I am oddly curious to 'how much' though. I couldn't even sit through the fourth and just did the Mortal Kombat 2 lifehack: watch the first five minutes, fastforward everything else, watch the last five minutes.
Everything between that is literally of zero importance or relevance to the plot.

And even worse, in the previous iterations the payoff in the last five minutes was there. The space between the first five and the last five wasn't as terrible nor as long to suffer through, and then you got to see Optimus do something fucking epic.

In AoE the "money shot" just isn't satisfying, the distance between the first five minutes (which are stupid) and the last five (which are stupid) is gratingly long, terribly acted, horribly directed and altogether just complete garbo.

It's difficult to believe The Last Knight could be worse. The fact that Bay plays all this so serious is ridiculous at this point. I mean, there are places where he is so firmly trying to evoke drama and I'm sitting here lmao because the characters think this is serious and it comes off as being hilarious.

Ugh. Hard to believe these movies are still making $600M+ WW. At this point, take the humans out of it and give us a Pixar-level animated Transformers War or something to wrap it up.

As not great as AoE is, at least it's competently made. It's edited pretty well (other than the length), character motivations make sense, and the action is at least a little entertaining. But TLK has easily some of the most atrocious editing I've ever seen, and the big thing they've been hinting at in the trailers literally goes for 3 minutes and gets solved by the power of friendship (I'm not kidding).

Ridley327

Don't Go In the Woods: The absolute best kind of awful film out there: the one that is just so thoroughly inept and wrongheaded on a technical and artistic level that it has no choice but to be an absolute riot. Operating under the reductive notion that a slasher film is a movie where a bunch of people die, the filmmakers here have crafted one that fully embraces that mistaken concept as the film cannot go five minutes without killing anyone in its increasingly amusing and surprisingly elaborate ways. And when I mean anyone, I mean that there are characters that show up in these awfully busy woods simply to be killed second later, and in a couple scenes, they don't even bother setting anything up and go straight into the killing. That last one is more due to the blender approach the film takes to its editing practices, but the film offers so much more outright bad filmmaking than that, with tracking shots that get lost in the brush that they likely didn't know was in the way, a campfire tale scene that features either the worst blocking ever or was a massive blow-up of a frame to hide something that was awry with the shot (or maybe even both!) and a whole lot of difficulty matching up shots as people traverse the wilderness that could imply that the forest here is lousy with portals that warp people around. Special mention has to go to the audio here, as we're not only treated to a cast that was entirely dubbed over in a way that calls to mind a fan-dub when the original audio sources couldn't be found (making the hero sound so effeminate was a rather happy accident for how sexless the film turns out to be), but a soundtrack that sounds like someone raided the local Goodwill for all the keyboards they had available and proceeded to throw hammers at random to produce the compositions. All of it combines to a film that, for about an hour, lives on the sheer volume of murders to keep the pace quick as our heroes hike along to whenever the killer feels like catching up with them, with all the unintentional comedy on the way. It does flag eventually as it reaches the final 20 minutes, thanks to the plot largely resolving itself before then and extending out a finale well past the capabilities of anyone involved, aided by one of the most bizarrely protracted setups for a kill that feels like it belonged to another film, but the film remembers itself long enough to finish strong with a combo of an obscenely brutal death for our villain, a final image so misguided and mean-spirited that you have to believe it was the one intentionally comedic effect in the film that they were able to pull off, and a final credits song that has to be heard to be believed. Make no mistake: this is a deeply terrible film, but for reasons outside of its control, it's also a ridiculous entertaining one that never runs short on ridiculous ways to kill people and always impresses with how much it gets wrong along the way. A true "so bad, it's good" feature if there ever was one.

Bonus: for your listening pleasure, the theme song in question.

big ander

Not more than Jarmel lol

I should've come to terms with it with the reboot but I haven't: how in the hell do so many adult men think Ghostbusters is one of the greatest films of all time. How arrested does your taste in media have to be to make that one of your sacred texts. it's fun and quotable but watching that as a grown person and being like "this—this is the pinnacle of cinema." I...

kevin1025

Banned
I should've come to terms with it with the reboot but I haven't: how in the hell do so many adult men think Ghostbusters is one of the greatest films of all time. How arrested does your taste in media have to be to make that one of your sacred texts. it's fun and quotable but watching that as a grown person and being like "this—this is the pinnacle of cinema." I...

Nostalgia is the major part of that. That's why I rather there were always two lists: favorite films and best films.

Nostalgia is the major part of that. That's why I rather there were always two lists: favorite films and best films.
I usually make what I consider the "best films" to be the movies that I can turn on at any time and get enjoyment from. If I need to be in a certain mood to like a movie, I probably won't consider it one of my favorites, even if I really like it.

Yeah. I think there's plenty of genre cinema that wouldn't look out of place as being named one of the untouchable GOATs but Ghostbusters never really came across as that to me. Enjoy it a lot though. But the cult following it garnered always was lost on me.

NewDust

Patti Cake$ (sneak peek)

My first walkout ever... Perhaps I missed something and the movie turns around, but the first 10 minutes were insufferable and didn't connect in any way.

I grew up so much on Ghostbusters much like TMNT. Watched the cartoon religiously. Had a storybook with it that had pics from the cartoon.
ChxMYpnWkAAt709.jpg

But when I stack it up with all the comedies ever made, I don't rank it much higher than where it is on that list.

kevin1025

Banned
I usually make what I consider the "best films" to be the movies that I can turn on at any time and get enjoyment from. If I need to be in a certain mood to like a movie, I probably won't consider it one of my favorites, even if I really like it.

That's a good way to look at it! For me I'd see favorites being the ones I love the most, and for best the ones I consider the best that movies can offer. Your way sounds more fun, though.

shaneo632

Did anyone else think The Hitman's Bodyguard had fucking atrocious cinematography? It's like they just smeared grease all over the lens half the time? Actually enjoyed the film quite a bit so it's a shame I've gotta deal with this shit if I rewatch it.

The Lobster - Yorgos Lanthimos

It's interesting to perceive the exaggerated representation of relationships while keeping in mind the hyperbole isn't that far-fetched. I've seen the robotic shit, the expectations, the superficiality, the rituals. We really live in a shit world and people forget that the root of it comes from our own interactions. With each other but especially with our partners. The humors exists through that heightened reality, one could characterize as absurdism but it's certainly more real than a merely judgmental look (or simple satire) of our society. It's funny and sad cause it's very real.

This made me chuckle a lot.

This was the start of his new life. And back then, he didn't know how much it hurts to be alone, how much it hurts when you cannot reach to rub pain-relief ointment on your back, and you are constantly in pain.

cause I went to the beach today and had a lot of trouble to put sun cream in my back and now I have a terrible sunburn.

swoon

you might not be learning the right lessons from 2016-2017 about "grown men"

kevin1025

Banned
Calvary

A real damn good movie. Brendan Gleeson plays a priest that is told during confession that he will be shot on the beach in a week because of a molestation that happened years before. The priest responsible is dead, and so he will have to do. You then spend the rest of the film watching the inhabitants of the town interact in those seven days with Gleeson, who gives a fantastic performance, and wonder who it could possibly be. I don't know how I feel about the ending, but all of the stuff that came before was really good.

Lilo and Stitch

First time seeing this. I don't know, I didn't feel much of anything while watching it. It's fine. The animation is really nice, though! It feels like a lesser sort of animated Disney movie, compared to the wealth of other greats.

Dirty Grandpa

What cruelty has Robert De Niro done to his agent/manager for them to possibly push him to make this movie? I felt bad for him throughout, even though he kind of looked like he was having fun. The racism and homophobia I could have done without, that was really rotten. There's a couple of really good lines hidden away in there, but it's hidden behind absurdity, cheap vulgarity (put some thought behind it, at least), and strange story decisions. Plus I could have gone my whole life without seeing De Niro masturbating.

Edit:

Just got back from seeing:

Kidnap

I laughed more during this than Dirty Grandpa. Holy moly, this movie was something. It's real bad. It's 65% Halle Berry close-ups while she's driving a minivan, 10% shots of the minivan, and the rest is semi-competent thriller fare. I was hoping it would at least do something interesting with the plot, but it's so straightforward that it was almost shocking. I'm almost certain they re-used the same shot of Berry at one point, and there's a point where they do some wild editing with black cuts to try and hide shots they clearly don't have. There's a fleshy arm that waves wildly out the window of the villain's car, and then a fleshy arm with a KNIFE, and I don't know what it was, but the image nearly made me die laughing. I don't want to just rag on the movie, it's just... the budget is apparently $21 million and that blows my mind. It's not good, it's super weird that it ended up with a theatrical release (the many, many release dates and changing of hands saw to that, I suppose), and it's super beneath Halle Berry.

Sean C

State of the Union (1948): Frank Capra's followup to It's A Wonderful Life, this is a film I've sometimes seen mentioned as Capra's last notable film. He made only a few in the 1950s, none of which people talk about, and then signed off with 1961's A Pocketful of Miracles, which was dull as anything. State of the Union sees Capra working with Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn, as well as a young Angela Lansbury (23 and playing a newspaper publisher, so presumably playing much older). This is Capra returning to the populist political well he drew from in many of his earlier films, and in a lot of ways it's the most explicitly programmatic, since it's about Tracy running for president. We thus get quite a lot of his political platform, which amounts to a massive expansion of the welfare state, foreign aid, and even world government(!). For political history junkies such as myself, the film is a treat for being littered with so many period-specific references.

This is my favourite of the Tracy/Hepburn films I've seen, mainly because it's not a 'battle of the sexes' framework (many of which ended up really condescending to Hepburn, this being the 1940s). There's also a really fascinating subtext here, presumably unintended, in that the narrative setup is that Hepburn is unwillingly estranged from her spouse, Tracy, who is increasingly falling under the spell of Lansbury's character. The film is, as such, a battle between these two women to influence him. Essentially, Hepburn is Louise Tracy, and Lansbury is Hepburn.

Hard Eight (1996): Paul Thomas Anderson's film debut, and heretofore the only one of his films I hadn't seen. I knew essentially nothing about this going in, which is the best way to view it. It's very slow starting out, and meanders, but it has a great ending. It's also interesting, looking back, to see how some of these actors became recurring figures in Anderson's stable of talent (Philip Seymour Hoffman, Philip Baker Hall) and others didn't (for instance, Gwyneth Paltrow).

UrbanRats

Kong Skull Island - Ehhh, as a bloated mess as the PJ version was, at least that movie managed to maintain mystique and mystery for the island, and actually bothered to establish the relationship between Kong and Watts.
This one was just utter boredom, start to finish.
Uninspired designs, no sense of build up, no characters you give a shit about, and the island didn't feel like a place with its own biome and ecosystem either.
It has a couple of shitty jokes and SLJ playing his own caricature (but without much energy, either).
And they still tacked on Kong's infatuation for the woman, for no reason, at the end.

Just an utterly mediocre blob, top to bottom.

Kong Skull Island - Ehhh, as a bloated mess as the PJ version was, at least that movie managed to maintain mystique and mystery for the island, and actually bothered to establish the relationship between Kong and Watts.
This one was just utter boredom, start to finish.
Uninspired designs, no sense of build up, no characters you give a shit about, and the island didn't feel like a place with its own biome and ecosystem either.
It has a couple of shitty jokes and SLJ playing his own caricature (but without much energy, either).
And they still tacked on Kong's infatuation for the woman, for no reason, at the end.

Just an utterly mediocre blob, top to bottom.
This movie is so divisive. I loved it. It was over the top and they didn't skimp on Kong and of course the theme of "man is the true monster."

UrbanRats

This movie is so divisive. I loved it. It was over the top and they didn't skimp on Kong and of course the theme of "man is the true monster."

Seemed to me like the theme was that "monster is the true monster", since the bad guy is that blandly designed random monster that comes from below.
Also, Kong had very little to do but smash things in it, i'm not expecting a CGi ape to have range, but at least in the PJ movie, he did show more character and had more to do than just jump around.

In this one, most of his "development" is straight up narrated by Reilly's character through exposition, and it's actually just backstory.

Skull Island delivered on some decent monster brawling B-movie fun that I went in expecting, but other than that it really wasn't a good movie. The Peter Jackson Kong, bloated as it was, was substantially better.

We need more like Kong Skull Island. The villain monster was bland and shitty though.
So was the one in Godzilla, though. Now that they're established, hopefully we'll get the notable monsters in future movies. I think the Godzilla sequel has a few, at least, so we'll see.

Rough Night

well, it's really not very funny but I did laugh at some of it; especially when demi moore and whats his face (modern family dad) made the friend orgasm. the heavier actress was lumped with the she's a fat obnoxious friend role and her lines were mostly not funny. I got to say, the death of the 1st "stripper/crook" just happened with no lead in / and/or was that actor given any time to establish himself as a character. This is what happens when a script/director has no vision. Quite funny to see Scar Jo looking like normal person.

4/10

* re: Kong Island - I liked it but it felt somewhat dry and unexciting. Not a bad way to spend the 2 hours though.

For sure, i love him in Entertainment, etc, but not even him could save this movie for me.

What about Brie Larson looking badass in a tank top? That couldn't save it either?

To be fair, as much as I liked the movie, I would put it in the guilty pleasure/popcorn flick only category of movies.

This is one of the ones where I struggle on how to rate it on letterboxd. I think I gave it 4/5 and hit the Like button. But really, I get that's a 2 or 2.5 star movie if I think about it as a film, as a piece of art, and yet I liked it. Sort of like I can see where other movies are very good from an artistic perspective but I don't like them. Shrug.

To be fair, as much as I liked the movie, I would put it in the guilty pleasure/popcorn flick only category of movies.

This is one of the ones where I struggle on how to rate it on letterboxd. I think I gave it 4/5 and hit the Like button. But really, I get that's a 2 or 2.5 star movie if I think about it as a film, as a piece of art, and yet I liked it. Sort of like I can see where other movies are very good from an artistic perspective but I don't like them. Shrug.
Yeah, I agree. It's a fun movie, but I need to see it again to determine if I really liked it or not.

Ridley327

I finally wandered into the thread about the top comedies.

why.jpg

Anyway!

Prom Night: A slasher that wants to be the next Halloween, but just doesn't have the skill to do so. Sure, its violence is relatively restrained and it does largely focus on the lives of a group of teenagers led by Jamie Lee Curtis (who, for her part, actually does a rather nice job in the role) more than it does the killer, but the visual appearance of the film feels really inconsistent, as its wont to borrow liberally from a lot of different sources (Carrie is a big influence as well as Halloween, but there's one super goofy dance number right out of Saturday Night Fever and some early menacing phone sequences that feel ripped right out of an Argento film) and it really doesn't feel like any of them have a lot to do with one another, making all the stylish touches feel very hollow and perhaps more blatant about what it's appropriating as it winds up comparing unfavorably. The pace is all wrong, too, front-loading the film with far too much dead air of teens doing their thing with little portent of things to come that would have ensured some level of tension heading into the prom itself, and throwing in a few too many red herrings in an attempt to keep the viewer guessing, even as it's obvious that none of them could possibly be involved in the slayings to come. It's a film that's a bit under 90 minutes, and about 55 of them happen before the prom, which should give you an idea of the monotony one has to put up with. It's hard not to see why this does have a cult following, as I already mentioned the good work Curtis does here, along with a shockingly restrained Leslie Nielsen as her father, as both go well with the effective opener that does a rather nice job of making the cruelty of youth feel properly horrific to get us our opening transgression that leads to the eventual yet surprisingly mournful conclusion. But I just can't ignore just how much it treads water throughout, leading to a lot of the film feeling very boring and difficult to engage with on the level that it's attempting to reach at times. An unfortunate snooze, since it didn't seem like it'd be that hard to improve upon itself.

lordxar

What about Brie Larson looking badass in a tank top? That couldn't save it either?

There were some artsy moments. Like when Kong and Sam Jackson lock eyes amidst the fire. I thought that imagery was pretty cool. Not that any of that makes it an art film...

big ander

Watched The Beaches of Agnès the other day and it was just so so nice. at least the equal of The Gleaners & I. this period of memoir-esque essay films is the ideal way to cap off a towering career. Though maybe I shouldn't even say that, if there's any karmic justice she'll live as long as de Oliveira and still be making curious and funny explorations of her life and travels and the lives and thoughts of those she encounters in 2030. can't wait for Faces Places.
you might not be learning the right lessons from 2016-2017 about "grown men"

Hah, too true

Trumbo starts weak and ends strong. But in the end, it works. In some ways, it feels almost like a better version of the Coen Brother's Hail, Caesar!, partly because it's true, but partly because that makes the story even more astounding.

The biggest factor is Bryan Cranston's fantastic performance. If this role proves anything, it's that he could absolutely work in film just as he did on television. In fact, most of the performances are great, with a few standouts being Helen Mirren, Louis C.K. & John Goodman. The weakest link here is Elle Fanning, but she isn't in it enough to be a problem. The story here is the true marvel, serving as a great message of human persistence. It's fitting that the film depicts a great Hollywood writer when it itself is incredibly well written. Regardless of your political beliefs, the blacklist depicted in the film was wrong, and rather than sit back and let him and his friends be pushed around, Trumbo decided to stand up, and that's a message we desperately need nowadays.

Unfortunately, it's the technical aspects where this film slightly falters. As mentioned above, the begining is a bit weak compared to the rest, it's editing is choppy, and sometimes inconsistent, and the direction is also lacking a bit.

But I would still say that this is a pretty solid film, and one that probably should've gotten more attention than it did.

8/10

Logan Lucky

Loved it. The trailer did this movie no favours though in that it sells the movie as a comedy that makes a caricature of the working class South and serves to mock them. whereas the actual film is pretty respectful of the lead characters (who are so likeable) and the employment problems befalling the mining industry in particular.

It skews more towards King of the Hill (the cartoon) than it does Beverly Hillbillies really.

honestly, I'd put this over Soderbergh's previous best heist flick (Oceans Eleven) as well. I loved the main cast in here. The Logan family is so lovable. Channing Tatum, Driver and Keough (god damn she looked good in this btw) all make the most of their screentime and have great chemistry. And Daniel Craig's character feels like he stepped out of Fantastic Mr. Fox or a Coen Brothers Comedy. He kills it in here (as do the moronic brothers of his), and makes you wonder what the hell is he doing wasting away as Bond and sleepwalking through movies lately when he has this in him.

Where it fell flat for me was the small subplot with Hilary Swank. it stops the momentum of the movie dead and damn is she just a misfire in this. its like she's doing a bad Clint Eastwood impression or something.

but aside from that, this may be my favourite theatrical Soderbergh project all the way back since Traffic. he's made some interesting films since, but I just found this to be the strongest output he's had in a while aside from The Knick.

My favorite Adam Driver performance too, even over his turn in Paterson. He's such a lovable simple lumbering dude in here. Got great comedic delivery in here.

Rather than just looking badass, she's actually badass in Free Fire.

giphy.gif

Logan Lucky

Loved it. The trailer did this movie no favours though in that it sells the movie as a comedy that makes a caricature of the working class South and serves to mock them. whereas the actual film is pretty respectful of the lead characters (who are so likeable) and the employment problems befalling the mining industry in particular.

It skews more towards King of the Hill (the cartoon) than it does Beverly Hillbillies really.

honestly, I'd put this over Soderbergh's previous best heist flick (Oceans Eleven) as well. I loved the main cast in here. The Logan family is so lovable. Channing Tatum, Driver and Keough (god damn she looked good in this btw) all make the most of their screentime and have great chemistry. And Daniel Craig's character feels like he stepped out of Fantastic Mr. Fox or a Coen Brothers Comedy. He kills it in here (as do the moronic brothers of his), and makes you wonder what the hell is he doing wasting away as Bond and sleepwalking through movies lately when he has this in him.

Where it fell flat for me was the small subplot with Hilary Swank. it stops the momentum of the movie dead and damn is she just a misfire in this. its like she's doing a bad Clint Eastwood impression or something.

but aside from that, this may be my favourite theatrical Soderbergh project all the way back since Traffic. he's made some interesting films since, but I just found this to be the strongest output he's had in a while aside from The Knick.

My favorite Adam Driver performance too, even over his turn in Paterson. He's such a lovable simple lumbering dude in here. Got great comedic delivery in here.

Damn, that's high praise. Che and Solaris have been my favourites of his stuff since then. Seeing this on the weekend, stat.

shaneo632

Beatriz at Dinner was a really cringey chamber piece with a great performance by Salma Hayek. I really liked it even if goes off the rails tonally at the end.

Captain Fantastic (2016) - hey this isn't a superhero movie wtf. Just kidding. After a string of duds, finally picked a very good movie. Viggo goes all in as the survivalist raising his family out in the fucking boonies. Then we go fish out of water when his wife dies and he needs to take the extremely intelligent but socially awkward children into the real world for the funeral. Two extremes play out here, with Viggo on one end and Frank Langella on the other end. There's some pretty huge jumps in logic, but overall the story works, the ending scene shows the power of compromise.

A couple of scenes stick with me, such as the waterfall scene, which looked amazing, and the bright colors of the family as they burst into the church. Also, great rendition of Sweet Child of Mine sung by the family.

4 / 5

Top Bottom