• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| August 2017

Ridley327

TCM2 was fun for the first half then grinds to a slow boring halt

My biggest problem with it is that it's an outright comedy where nothing is funny at all. At even 15 minutes long, it would be unbearable, but this thing is about two hours long. Two hours with something this miscalculated and dire is an eternal hell and probably against the Geneva Convention.

Window

Paris, Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

The commentary on the Criterion is fun, Wenders is like "I'm from Germany, can you imagine... a drive thru bank?"

That I'll admit, is something I've never seen (or even heard of) before. Are they still around? Was this an 80s thing?

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:
"You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it."

The Last Crusade retracts the claws of The Temple of Doom and instead doubles down on heart, creating an adventure that places a higher premium on humor and sentimentality than traumatizing children. While this was a childhood favorite of mine, the last time I saw it I found it to be quite a bit stodgier than I remembered, especially when compared to the raw energy and insanity of Temple of Doom. Fortunately, for whatever reason, this viewing brought the magic back.

Indiana Jones traveling around with his father, dealing with daddy issues while punching Nazis sounds like a potentially ruinous idea on paper, but thank god they got Sean Connery to say yes because he is just about the only actor I can think of who can credibly bring every aspect of his role to life. Once the film introduces Henry Jones (Sr) it really takes off, and this globe trotting adventure is probably the most consistently fun from that moment on as it bounces from country to country and set-piece to set-piece, each mined for great physical comedy between the two leads. And the humor mostly really works thanks to Ford and Connery's impeccable timing and chemistry (whoever wrote Marcus's "pen is mightier than the sword" joke better have been fired immediately after they saw the dailies on that one, though).

The snappy pacing and light adventuring does come with a cost though, as it sacrifices a lot of the great atmosphere building and rough edges of Indy's character (this movie literally turns him into a boy scout) that made the first films have a sense of danger to them. I think sacrificing some foreboding and tension for pure fun is an okay hand-off as far as this movie is concerned though, because even if it doesn't <i>quite</i> live up to the high watermark of the previous entries, it makes for a more than worthy (temporary) conclusion to Indiana's crusades.

The Last Crusade retracts the claws of The Temple of Doom and instead doubles down on heart, creating an adventure that places a higher premium on humor and sentimentality than traumatizing children. While this was a childhood favorite of mine, the last time I saw it I found it to be quite a bit stodgier than I remembered, especially when compared to the raw energy and insanity of Temple of Doom. Fortunately, for whatever reason, this viewing brought the magic back.

Indiana Jones traveling around with his father, dealing with daddy issues while punching Nazis sounds like a potentially ruinous idea on paper, but thank god they got Sean Connery to say yes because he is just about the only actor I can think of who can credibly bring every aspect of his role to life. Once the film introduces Henry Jones (Sr) it really takes off, and this globe trotting adventure is probably the most consistently fun from that moment on as it bounces from country to country and set-piece to set-piece, each mined for great physical comedy between the two leads. And the humor mostly really works thanks to Ford and Connery's impeccable timing and chemistry (whoever wrote Marcus's "pen is mightier than the sword" joke better have been fired immediately after they saw the dailies on that one, though).

The snappy pacing and light adventuring does come with a cost though, as it sacrifices a lot of the great atmosphere building and rough edges of Indy's character (this movie literally turns him into a boy scout) that made the first films have a sense of danger to them. I think sacrificing some foreboding and tension for pure fun is an okay hand-off as far as this movie is concerned though, because even if it doesn't <i>quite</i> live up to the high watermark of the previous entries, it makes for a more than worthy (temporary) conclusion to Indiana's crusades.
I remember this being my favorite one when I was younger. I haven't seen them in a while though, so I'm not sure how it would hold up to me now. I really need to watch them again.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Death Note: As faithless to the source material as some may have feared, but all the better for it. Taking pretty much just the premise and some of the character names, the film moves away from the tense back-and-forth between Light and L as they try to gain the upper hand towards a simpler but definitely entertaining mix of Final Destination and high school drama. Indeed, the gory setpieces and the escalating circumstances that culminate in one of the greatest scenes to ever utilize a song from Chicago keep the film lively, while the script keep the pacing quick as it condenses some aspects of the original down and jettisons others to keep the story relatively self-contained. Director Adam Wingard is up to the task of keeping things rather stylish in the ways you know him for: inexplicable but snazzy use of neon lighting, great off-kilter camera angles and moves and a killer soundtrack that ranges from the expected synthwave tracks that makes me wish he had a Bandcamp page to genuine articles of truly inspired catalog selections. It surprised me a bit that he didn't have a hand in editing his own film this time, but his editor does a good job of keeping it about as tight as Wingard would like to have it, along with some fun transitions. The brisk pace does come at the cost of moving along from story and character elements too quickly, as plot holes are abound and pivotal character moments don't really have the proper tract to be able to land as well as they could have. Of course, when there's such an intentionally goofy tone to the whole thing, it may not be prudent to knock a film too much for bungling some of the drama when people are being decapitated with ladders, Lakeith Stanfield in a delightfully wacky portrayal of L as he furiously eats gummy bears, an amazingly delivered exposition dump about a character's origins that is shockingly faithful to the original, to go along with the whole "there's an eight-foot tall spiky demon dude running around and he sounds like Willem Dafoe having way too much fun" thing that probably would have been an early tipoff that we're dealing with schlock more than high drama. But this is some quality schlock, and while it could have stood to be even better with a tighter story (one gets the sense that Wingard's frequent writing partner Simon Barrett would have been a valuable asset to have here), it makes for a great night in with a bag of popcorn and a good sense of humor.

I just finished checking out Death Note and I really dug it. I agree with about everything you listed on here, although I'm not too familiar with the anime/manga other than knowing people that watch it. Btw besides checking this thread for impressions of the film, the OT for the movie is pretty toxic lol. You would think it's the worst thing ever according to them, when in the end this movie knows what it is and is the more entertaining for it.

I remember this being my favorite one when I was younger. I haven't seen them in a while though, so I'm not sure how it would hold up to me now. I really need to watch them again.

It's definitely more child friendly than the others and it's humor, adventure, fast pacing, and young Indy opening all make it pretty easy to see why it would be a childhood favorite for many. Definitely holds up for me though, even if it's not my favorite of the series.

Ridley327

I just finished checking out Death Note and I really dug it. I agree with about everything you listed on here, although I'm not too familiar with the anime/manga other than knowing people that watch it. Btw besides checking this thread for impressions of the film, the OT for the movie is pretty toxic lol. You would think it's the worst thing ever according to them, when in the end this movie knows what it is and is the more entertaining for it.

There was once a time when I would have been that kind of person that would have raged at even the slightest deviation, but I think that the LotR trilogy was a huge key in changing that attitude. That's why I'm not all that bugged by remakes of films I like, since it's not like anyone is going back in time to delete their existence to justify their product.

shaneo632

Yeah I always eyeroll when people get really melodramatic and claim that a bad sequel/adaptation has retroactively "ruined" the original. Nah mate. Just pretend it doesn't exist and get on with your life.

There was once a time when I would have been that kind of person that would have raged at even the slightest deviation, but I think that the LotR trilogy was a huge key in changing that attitude. That's why I'm not all that bugged by remakes of films I like, since it's not like anyone is going back in time to delete their existence to justify their product.
Tell that to comic book fans and people who say The Hobbit movies ruined the books.

And Ghostbusters fans.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Now I want to see these. I assume you are talking about the original Stepford Wives?

I just said it was dull why would that make you want to see it??? Yes the original. Interesting to see where Get Out took a lot from but other than that it really didn't do much for me, maybe you'll have a different experience though.

Romancing was fun though, standard 80s adventure with lots of gunfire but no one gets hit kind of thing. It's Zemeckis so it's not complete trash or anything. Also has some top shelf Kathleen Turner before she destroyed herself.

Divius

I just said it was dull why would that make you want to see it??? Yes the original. Interesting to see where Get Out took a lot from but other than that it really didn't do much for me, maybe you'll have a different experience though.
You said it was a 10/10 idea so that piqued my interest, no idea what it is about so maybe your Get Out connection already partly spoiled me :p

Ridley327

Tell that to comic book fans and people who say The Hobbit movies ruined the books.

And Ghostbusters fans.

Honestly, one of the biggest problems of the Hobbit films was putting too much of the book on screen. You could have easily done that story in one film and if it wasn't for outright greed, it should have been just one film.

There's a good reason why Tolkein put so much of the backstory in the appendixes.

Honestly, one of the biggest problems of the Hobbit films was putting too much of the book on screen. You could have easily done that story in one film and if it wasn't for outright greed, it should have been just one film.

There's a good reason why Tolkein put so much of the backstory in the appendixes.
I agree that it shouldn't have been 3 movies. I honestly liked the first movie, but the other 2 just dragged for no reason.

Morat

Banned
Kingdom of Heaven directors cut. Good film, but the extra scenes are really obvious, coming out of nowhere and often not meshing well with the rest of the narrative. I get that the story does make more sense in the DX, but i'm not sure if it's a better film overall for it.

Borgnine

That I'll admit, is something I've never seen (or even heard of) before. Are they still around? Was this an 80s thing?

I'm in California and basically every single bank has a drive thru ATM. They used to be pneumatic tubes which was awesome.

You said it was a 10/10 idea so that piqued my interest, no idea what it is about so maybe your Get Out connection already partly spoiled me :p

Oh shit. Actually I forgot you're a dirty foreigner so maybe you've just never heard the phrase stepford wife before. If you don't know what that means then go for it.

SeanC

Death Note:

I posted in the Death Note thread but I'll expand here, it's a great concept that I feel never quite met its goals and certainly potential. It comes down to the characters for me and that none seem to be developed or have any meaningful conversation or believable motivations - they're "just because" and that makes the idea of someone being all-powerful strangely bland because you don't get invested in the consequences. The best thing it had going is the gore, but it's Wingard so that's no surprise. Some are comically brutal - which leads me to the other issue: tone.

Death Note wants to be simultaneously a serious drama about power, a teenage movie about high school and, oddly, funny with how it handles death. None of those mesh well. Maybe two could, but certainly not all three and it bounces from melodramatic moment to a funny death to trying, and failing, to say something about the "bigger" idea of judge, jury and executioner and the cult of Kira. It can't as it rushes plot elements less with intention and more perfunctory check-lists.

There are moments that are wonderfully entertaining, though. I also think there's too many (as is always the case) of "The anime did it better" people running around but really you don't need to bring up the anime or manga to see the serious flaws in the movie. Death Note reminds me much of the next movie I saw in that I don't really need to care as much as I can just have it running in the background:

Underworld: Blood Wars

Forgot this movie existed like everyone else, but it popped up on streaming and said "sure, why not?" to it. These movies are the purest definition of forgettable, but simultaneously pretty watchable which is strange. I mean, I can't tell you the myth or the lore or what happened really in any of the other movies. I mostly remember the imagery and Beckinsale being badass which, even now many movies later, is still the best thing the series has going (See also: Resident Evil movies with Jovovich).

The movie is entertaining in the moment, mostly the action and over-acting, as the cheesy schlock that it is but gets lost in plot a lot of times. It loves loves loves exposition when we really just want to see vampires and lycans fight and a lot of blood and gore. It delivers in spurts on the latter and spends too much time on the former. These movies have never been good, but I still watch them like I watch a Tremors sequel.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I watched The Game recently, which was an interesting thriller. It reminded me a bit of The Truman Show, where the main character is part of a world that tries to control his life. The pacing is great because the threat is constantly escalating. I saw some complaints online about the ending, but I liked it and thought it fit the movie.

Underworld: Blood Wars

Forgot this movie existed like everyone else, but it popped up on streaming and said "sure, why not?" to it. These movies are the purest definition of forgettable, but simultaneously pretty watchable which is strange. I mean, I can't tell you the myth or the lore or what happened really in any of the other movies. I mostly remember the imagery and Beckinsale being badass which, even now many movies later, is still the best thing the series has going (See also: Resident Evil movies with Jovovich).

The movie is entertaining in the moment, mostly the action and over-acting, as the cheesy schlock that it is but gets lost in plot a lot of times. It loves loves loves exposition when we really just want to see vampires and lycans fight and a lot of blood and gore. It delivers in spurts on the latter and spends too much time on the former. These movies have never been good, but I still watch them like I watch a Tremors sequel.

When she
comes back from the dead in smokin' hot angel of fucking death mode
... daaaaayuuuummm... right into my veins.

I'll be jumping on the next one in the series
as soon as it hits redbox

Any other films worth watching from Hooper's filmography besides TCM?

If you consider Poltergeist to be one of his movies which I know is always in debate then yes, watch it. Also can't handle this TCM2 disrespect in this thread, the GOAT horror sequel followup because of how ridiculous and unexpected the tone was. Love that film.

Ridley327

Any other films worth watching from Hooper's filmography besides TCM?

Poltergeist has been mentioned, but I'm a big fan of Lifeforce, which demonstrates both the virtues of turning a Hammer sci-fi plot into a big budget film as well as the dangers of what happens when you try to have a sci-f invasion plot mixed in with vampires and zombies, sorta? and, amazingly, a kind of mad romance at the heart of it all. It's overstuffed, but filled with all kinds of delightful oddities and some really nice production design.

Eaten Alive has a reputation of being an official TCM ripoff, since Hooper rehashes a lot of the same themes into a film that's just not as engaging through its duration, though it does have a completely insane finale that involves a little girl being hunted down by a crocodile and you will finally get to find out just where Quentin Tarantino got that "My name's Buck, and I'm here to fuck" line for Kill Bill, delivered by Robert Englund in one of his earliest roles. Neville Brand makes for a good villain, though there are some scenes where you wish he would tone it down just a couple of notches.

lordxar

Eaten Alive sucked ass but seeing Robert Englund made it worthwhile. Looking at Hoppers other stuff he seems pretty meh overall. Mangler and Toolbox Murders were ok, have not seen Lifeforce. Body Bags is also on my watchlist. TCM was a complete anomaly I guess.

UrbanRats

Watched Insomnia (1997) - This is the perfect film to watch, while tired.
It's "beautiful" looking, with washed out grays all over, really selling you on the midnight sun's oppressive light.
Also, i realized that Swedish and Norwegian sound the same to me.
Btw, Skarsgard looks a bit like Nolan in this movie.

Window

Anyone ever seen The Cremaster Cycle? Someone from work recommended it and from the clips I've seen, it seems....challenging.

IT (2017):

Here are my thoughts on the movie (no spoilers):

There's something very wrong with Derry, and it's not just the thing that looks like a clown. Is it a malignant presence within its people? Is it the place itself? History is brought up frequently as an important element of the plot, but IT never feels all that interested in exploring its most interesting narrative conceit beyond perfunctory exposition. It doesn't seem all that interested in a cohesive narrative structure either, and its attempts at using the characters as mouthpieces for its themes are...cumbersome, to say the least. No, IT's interests really lie in making a gang of losers you enjoy watching, and in throwing a barrage of horrific vignettes assaultive enough to make a crowded theater lose their collective shit. If my crowded preview screening was evidence enough, it succeeded handily in those aims.

The cast of young actors they assembled are clearly capable of being a likeable ensemble. Finn Wolfhard of Stranger Things fame has already proven himself on the small screen, and he gets all the best laughs here as the mouthy Richie. But besides their surface level ticks, the losers never really felt like characters to me. They have a lot of banter and the occasional tender moment, but while the movie takes its sweet time setting this gang up, in doing so it never bothers to tell us much about them beyond their surface ticks. That's because, much like The Conjuring series, IT treats many of its "scare" scenes as almost stand-alone sequences, that really less on eerie tension and more on grating noises and toothy creatures bum rushing the camera. That's not to say that neither the gang nor the scares work, because the best moments of the film come from some unexpected stylistic jolts as the group bonds, capturing their outsider status and endearing them to us at the same time, and the funhouse approach to horror leads to some really enjoyable sequences that are impressive not necessarily because of their craft, but in the gleefulness in which it chains together gruesome horrors in relentless fashion. The best compliment I can give the film is that at some point it flashes by a cinema marquee advertising a Nightmare on Elm Street sequel, and IT would feel right at home in that series (and not as one of the worse entries).

And of course I have to mention Bill Skarsgård's Pennywise. His performance has already garnered the lion's share of prerelease attention and it's not for nothing. His slobbering, gutterly gleeful take on the clown makes for a worthy mascot for the film, and though he doesn't get a lot of screen time he clearly makes the most of every minute.

Ultimately IT's heart is in the right place and will likely lead many an audience member to laugh and squeal as they sit through this haunted house ride of a movie. But I can't help but imagine what might have been if it spent less effort trying to get immediate and predictable reactions from a crowd, and more effort crafting a nightmare that lingers and festers in the dark spaces of your head like the thing that haunts Derry. Less in your face and more in the gutter. It's certainly good weekend fun, but a 27 year burn this is not.

Death Note - Wingard

It's most egregious characteristic is how cheap and half-assed it looks. More tv-ish than cinema. The sound design, one of Wingard's distinct features, is so amateurish. The dialogues, the effects, even the music overlaps sound badly cut. The whole thing also feels smallish, the camera is up close, small sets, no interesting camera-work. You can seem some stylish choices (both visually and sound-wise) but it's like they had no time to refine it.

As for a Death Note adaptation, and as a one time-watcher of the show, it's a bit of a dogshit. My memory is a little fuzzy but I remember that I was mostly fond of the exaggeration, the ryuk interactions, the crazy intricate plans and how it just keeps escalating over and over to the point of the stakes being so bizarrely high but the film, once again, is just small as fuck and tries to cram too much in too little time.

I have no issues with the differences with the original work, I only have vague memories about the characters but it seems they went in a completely different direction (which, makes the L's behavior a bit cringy. He does not belong in this movie).

Demmi

Neo Member
Dunkirk (Nolan, 2017) - Similar to an earlier post, I found the music really distracting and kept me at a distance from the film. Apart from that, I thought this was a nice departure for Nolan. A lot of impressive footage, and the juggling of timelines really worked for me. 7.5/10

Saboteur (Hitchcock, 1942) - Minor Hitchcock is fast paced and surprisingly fun, but falters often with a clumsy script and a lot of heavy handed dialogue. 7/10

Moana (Clements / Musker, 2016) - Kind of disappointing actually. The visuals and songs are great, but it's all in service of such a poorly told story. I mean, the whole first twenty minutes is just a blur of *don't leave the island* *don't leave the island* *cutesy animal bullshit* *don't leave the island (IN SONG!)* and repeat. The animation is great, though. 6.5/10

Fast Five (Lin, 2011) - Pretty dull first half, saved somewhat by some fun set pieces in the second half. That Rock dessert/veggies line might be the worst/best thing I've seen in a while. 5/10

Gattaca (Niccol, 1997) - I put off watching this for the longest time and I have no idea why. Really engaging stuff and a lot more suspensful than I was expecting. 8/10

Dunkirk (Nolan, 2017) - Similar to an earlier post, I found the music really distracting and kept me at a distance from the film. Apart from that, I thought this was a nice departure for Nolan. A lot of impressive footage, and the juggling of timelines really worked for me. 7.5/10

Moana (Clements / Musker, 2016) - Kind of disappointing actually. The visuals and songs are great, but it's all in service of such a poorly told story. I mean, the whole first twenty minutes is just a blur of *don't leave the island* *don't leave the island* *cutesy animal bullshit* *don't leave the island (IN SONG!)* and repeat. The animation is great, though. 6.5/10

Gattaca (Niccol, 1997) - I put off watching this for the longest time and I have no idea why. Really engaging stuff and a lot more suspensful than I was expecting. 8/10
I actually really liked the way the music was used in Dunkirk, didn't even notice the ticking until about halfway through. IMO, it added to the tenseness.

I thought I was the only one who wasn't a fan of Moana. I mean, it was alright, but not something to go crazy about.

I watched Gattaca in science class. I should watch it again, cause I don't think I got a good look at it from that.

Typical young adult novel adaptation rubbish. Poor acting, appalling script, lack of chemistry between the two main leads who are supposed to be in love, a 'twist' at the end which is blindingly obvious from the first five minutes of the film yet still manages to completely invalidate any emotional investment the film might have got otherwise, Everything, Everything has nothing to offer.

UrbanRats

It come at night starts with a trite premise, and continues, hitting just about every clichè of the post apocalyptic genre, along the way... but it still manages to be so fucking tense, thanks to the great direction.
It has some haunting visuals, although i wouldn't put it in the same camp as something like The Witch or The Wailing, as far as great horrors from the last few years go.
It just treads too much familiar ground, and it misses that one image that gets burned into your mind, like the other two have.
Still, a very solid horror movie.

SeanC

The Hitman's Bodyguard - I didn't really catch on with the humor, just Reynolds and Jackson doing their shtick which wears out pretty quick, but the action was really well done. The script is choppy, jumping around and overusing flashbacks, and the plot you can telegraph in the first 15 minutes, but in terms of how it is shot and handles action, stuntwork and the pacing of the sequences and editing, I was pretty impressed. Chase sequences didn't get dull and had variety, hand-to-hand using long takes, straightforward but effective choreography great framing and use of space, and shootouts incredibly bloody and visceral with lots of headshots.

It's an easily-digestible action flick that I didn't expect to like as much as I ended up. It's kind of a cartoon in a way, not quite "Shoot Em-Up" in nature but borderline absurd for sure.

Saw most of Midnight Special. Got about 25 minutes left, but the person I was watching it with fell asleep, so I figured I'd just wait till tomorrow to finish.

So far though, I like it. It's definitely well acted. Michael Shannon, Joel Edgerton and Kirsten Dunst all do great jobs, even though Dunst isn't really given much to work with. The main kid, played by Jaeden Lieberher is surprisingly great as well. Adam Driver does a good job, but before he meets Lieberher character, the segments with him feel like a subpar X-Files episode.

The story's pretty engaging as well, and reveals info at a pace that feels just right. The beginning is a little slow, but it really picks up towards the second act. The special effects are a bit rough, but that's not to main part of the film, so it can be excused slightly. I can't comment on the ending, since it's not over, but I'm excited to see how the plot is resolved.

Right now feeling about a 7/10. Will post tomorrow if the ending changes my opinions towards the film.

big ander

The ending of midnight special will uh...probably have a bearing on your ultimate opinion of it.

–––

I watched the last days of disco today and I thiiiiiink it's my new top Stillman. The culmination of what he had refined in Barcelona and Metropolitan with some of the musicality of Damsels. His best overall cast and script, hilarious tip to tail, expertly captures an era while savvily being about not just that era but everybody's twenties. Want to watch this a million times.

Borgnine

LA Nine Deuce: 9/10. An astonishingly excellent documentary. No talking heads, no interviews, just raw video tape of shit popping off. Has this whole VCR aesthetic to the whole thing which really took me back. Does a great job of slowly building the tension with just the right amount of set up to get you in the mindset. Watts, the King beating, the Korean angle and Latasha Harlins, the venue change, the verdict. And then you're off. I can't even begin to count the number of terrifying and moving images in this thing, and it's all just news footage and camcorders. I think this is absolutely the essential document of the event. 1965, 1992, ... 20??

Demmi

Neo Member
I actually really liked the way the music was used in Dunkirk, didn't even notice the ticking until about halfway through. IMO, it added to the tenseness.

I thought I was the only one who wasn't a fan of Moana. I mean, it was alright, but not something to go crazy about.

I watched Gattaca in science class. I should watch it again, cause I don't think I got a good look at it from that.

Dunkirk: I don't know, it just felt at odds with the movie at times for me. Almost as if Nolan came up with the 'neverending score represents enemy threat' concept after the fact, and threw it onto a bunch of scenes that didn't need it.

I would have been fine with a gradually building score tbh. Maybe twenty minutes of silence at the start to ground us in the world, and ramp it up as the threat grows.

Gattaca: I feel like most people watched it in science class, heh. Probably why I don't see a lot of love for it around.

LA Nine Deuce: 9/10. An astonishingly excellent documentary. No talking heads, no interviews, just raw video tape of shit popping off. Has this whole VCR aesthetic to the whole thing which really took me back. Does a great job of slowly building the tension with just the right amount of set up to get you in the mindset. Watts, the King beating, the Korean angle and Latasha Harlins, the venue change, the verdict. And then you're off. I can't even begin to count the number of terrifying and moving images in this thing, and it's all just news footage and camcorders. I think this is absolutely the essential document of the event. 1965, 1992, ... 20??

After OJ Made in America I'm definitely putting this on my watch list. I remember how terrifying it was to witness the 1992 events unfold, even from across the pond.

I watched Gattaca in English class lol really liked it at the time

Midnight Runners

God damn. Was not expecting this movie to be anywhere near as awesome as it was. I went in expecting a comedic cop duo flick...I went in without watching any of the trailers. It certainly did make me laugh at times and the chemistry between the two trainee cops was nice.

The first part lived up to my expectations. Plenty of comedy involving two men studying to be crops who don't really have strong motivations for becoming police officers. Those two stumble across a kidnapping and attempt to do some crime solving. Nothing exceptional there but parts of it certainly where amusing. And then the two discover the true extent of what they've stumbled across. It's at this point where it kicks into an action film...one that is damn good. Fights are well directed and we always know what is going on. No bullshit quick cuts that make it difficult to know what is going on. Easily some of the best action I've seen this year...maybe even the best. I'll have to watch it again to form a better opinion but I really was impressed. Even a chase where the two main leads are fleeing from a group of men is a treat to see thanks in part to the music.

Its no Raid 1/2 when it comes to martial arts cerography but that does little to lessen it and I really get the impression that the Raid series was more than a bit of an influence in this film. The finale 2 vs 1 fight reminded me a heck of a lot of the 2 vs 1 fight in Raid 1.

If this movie is playing near you do yourself a favor and give it a watch.

Surprised this is playing in the US! I saw it here in Korea.
Was a lot of fun, great buddy crop movie. I already liked the two lead actors but they had great chemistry together in this.
I didn't expect the tonal shift but it worked pretty well I think.
Yeah the fight scenes were good hey. Like they're kicking ass but not indestructible in any sense at the same time.

shaneo632

Terminator 2 3D - 10/10. This was the absolute tits. The new 4K restoration is gorgeous and the 3D was really effective in the future war scene in particular.

Gattaca: I feel like most people watched it in science class, heh. Probably why I don't see a lot of love for it around.
That does make sense. We were studying DNA strands at the time, so I guess it made sense with the context of the film.
Terminator 2 3D - 10/10. This was the absolute tits. The new 4K restoration is gorgeous and the 3D was really effective in the future war scene in particular.
Really need to find a theater near me showing it.

Blader

They Call Me Trinity
I'm not really much for comedy westerns -- wasn't really a fan of Blazing Saddles, and I liked My Name is Nobody in spite of its comedy -- so I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this. I went in expecting a lot of dumb, slapsticky hijinks, but the humor is much more restrained and dialogue-driven - and actually funny! Terrence Hill and Bud Spencer are a lot of fun on their own, and have a great rapport playing off each other. After fearing something really dumb, this movie was a nice, pleasant surprise.
7/10

Keoma
This one, on the other hand, was a disappointment. Often billed as the last great spaghetti western and the genre's bookend to A Fistful of Dollars, both of which I think unfairly raise expectations on this movie because it doesn't remotely feel like some big final statement on the spaghetti western. I do like the bleak atmosphere here; this sub-genre of twilight spaghetti westerns portray these dark, dilapidated settings (reinforced by the fact that most SW sets were, at this point, literally falling apart from neglect) and the effect of creating an almost end-of-the-world west works nicely. But the plot was too barebones, and there's really nothing to Keoma himself, despite a good Franco Nero performance. There are some good shootouts in here, though they lean a bit hard on the Peckinpah slow mo. All in all, not horrible, but not very good either.
5/10

lordxar

They Call Me Trinity
I'm not really much for comedy westerns -- wasn't really a fan of Blazing Saddles, and I liked My Name is Nobody in spite of its comedy -- so I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this. I went in expecting a lot of dumb, slapsticky hijinks, but the humor is much more restrained and dialogue-driven - and actually funny! Terrence Hill and Bud Spencer are a lot of fun on their own, and have a great rapport playing off each other. After fearing something really dumb, this movie was a nice, pleasant surprise.
7/10

Trinity is Still My Name or whatever is a decent follow up. More of the same but if you like one you should enjoy the next.

Am I the only one who watched Gattaca on purpose? Lol

Trinity is Still My Name or whatever is a decent follow up. More of the same but if you like one you should enjoy the next.

Am I the only one who watched Gattaca on purpose? Lol

Nope. I watched it on purpose as well. Really liked it. I enjoy "smart" scifi.

I also enjoy space opera, but Gattaca is definitely up there in the smart scifi pantheon of flicks.

big ander

I first watched Gattaca in a science class and then watched it again on my own. But it has become a movie-day-at-school regular, I'm guessing anyone who was in public school from 2000 to...now had a good chance of watching it. Putting that on after AP tests in bio at least made more sense and seemed more respectable than watching The Fifth Element in chemistry

TCM 2 is one of those movies that I absolutely hated on my first viewing. I've really warmed up to it since though and admire the direction it went in as this insane parody of the first. I mean, how else are you going to make a sequel to one of the greatest horror films ever made? The correct answer is that you probably shouldn't. Hooper's initial vision was also tainted by studio interference. That doesn't do a whole lot to change what's on the screen though. I completely understand the hate for it and can't really recommend it myself to those coming off the first movie.

However, it's got one of the greatest jump scares I've ever seen. Despite the overall comedic tone, there are a few moments where Tobe remembers to bring the terror.

Top Bottom