• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| June 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if I should read this as a positive or negative review. I am thinking about seeing it this weekend, though.
One man's negative is another man's positive.. or something. I also felt the film drags big time. There was no reason this film had to be 2 hours and 15 minutes.

Yamabro

Banned
The Conjuring 2 - Well, at least they got the time period right. Pretty much everything else plays out like your typical possession story with a touch of things not making sense and awful looking CG. Feels a lot more cheap than the first film but I think I was generally a bit more entertained by this one. Hell, who am I kidding? The only reason I liked this film a bit more was because they used a Clash song it in. 3/10

You better not be talking about The Crooked Man!

Ridley327

'71: While suffering from some familiar beats and not quite sticking the landing as well as the build-up to its ending could have led to, we've still got a damn fine thriller here. The pared-down story of a British soldier with the worst luck in the world and in the worst place in the world for him to have it keeps the pacing quick and the intensity pounding for its duration, keeping you on edge throughout as our hero, well played by Jack O'Connell, finds little refuge in a city that seems to have it out for him. The oppressive atmosphere is aided superbly with a thick, well-lit look that's heavy on the reds and yellows, rendering Belfast into an almost literal hell, as well as strong camerawork that helps to convey the desperation and physical well-being (and occasional lack thereof) of Hook as he races and stumbles to stay ahead of IRA foot soldiers and a lot worse. Without diving too much into their identities, it was nice to see variety in the antagonistic forces as they arrive at a shared goal once the finish line is in sight, which helps to keep the tension up on the final act. It's the kind of straight-ahead storytelling that tends to get ignored these days in an attempt to raise the stakes with something more than mere survival. Sometimes, you can hardly find a better motivation, which is something this film does a highly commendable job of conveying.

JTripper

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014): Pretty much as generic as you can get with a TMNT reboot. The movie has little to no personality, with only a couple moments involving Michaelangelo that made me genuinely laugh. The movie focuses way too much on Megan Fox and I didn't feel anything new or unique about these characters by the end. Also, most of the combat action scenes are filmed in these low-angle shots which made it more annoying than cool or exciting. The set-piece moments are decent though, and I like the snow mountain chase sequence.

Love and Mercy: Decided to watch it right after TMNT since I found it on Amazon Instant Video. This was my second viewing as I saw it back when it released in theaters. Liked it even more this time and it might be one of my favorite biopics I've ever seen. It's really wonderfully filmed and is great as both an introduction to The Beach Boys/Brian Wilson and an examination of his genius in both the positive and negative ways for anyone familiar on the subject.

The 60s segments are fantastic, especially the Pet Sounds studio sessions, and the 80s narrative is a great parallel to the 60s scenes as the film tonally swaps between both stories. It really makes you realize and wonder more about Wilson as a person and how his mental illness and struggles affected him through the years from his prime to his post-Beach Boys life. John Cusack is good as older Brian, but Paul Dano is a fucking excellent as young Brian.

DOPE: A smart, well-made, well-acted and well-written movie. Great use of music (I was surprised but happy to hear Freak on a Leash).

'71: While suffering from some familiar beats and not quite sticking the landing as well as the build-up to its ending could have led to, we've still got a damn fine thriller here. The pared-down story of a British soldier with the worst luck in the world and in the worst place in the world for him to have it keeps the pacing quick and the intensity pounding for its duration, keeping you on edge throughout as our hero, well played by Jack O'Connell, finds little refuge in a city that seems to have it out for him. The oppressive atmosphere is aided superbly with a thick, well-lit look that's heavy on the reds and yellows, rendering Belfast into an almost literal hell, as well as strong camerawork that helps to convey the desperation and physical well-being (and occasional lack thereof) of Hook as he races and stumbles to stay ahead of IRA foot soldiers and a lot worse. Without diving too much into their identities, it was nice to see variety in the antagonistic forces as they arrive at a shared goal once the finish line is in sight, which helps to keep the tension up on the final act. It's the kind of straight-ahead storytelling that tends to get ignored these days in an attempt to raise the stakes with something more than mere survival. Sometimes, you can hardly find a better motivation, which is something this film does a highly commendable job of conveying.

Really liked the first bit of that film, it really went downhill after that
pub explosion
imo.

Been watching some Danish cinema this week. Krigen was OK but a bit drawn out... theme was more interesting than the end result, a bit like the director's previous effort Kapringen.

Babette's Feast played out as a lighter kind of Bergman as it was set in a very conservative protestant community, the movie's theme and plot are rather subdued, more a movie you experience than anything else. Glad I watched it but not really something I would recommend either.

smh Disco

These X Men movies continue to be nothing for me. Sorry breh, Apocalypse is another one I won't remember by the time the next one comes out, but this time it's not even good like Days of Future Past.

Oscar Issac is wasted on a terrible Apocalypse (design and motivations), the timeline in these movies is so far gone, Jennifer Lawrence and her garbage Mystique, Olivia Munn and her nothing Psylocke, boring Storm, boring Jean Grey, the great Rose Byrne does god knows what (seriously, was there a single solid female performance in this movie?), Quicksilver on repeat with barely any development after a decade, the stiff action scenes and wire work, the empty destruction, ughhhhhh

The only highlights were, again, McAvoy and Fassbender, and even then they're only barely a highlight.

Someone help the X Mans

Seen a lot of alright/decent movies in theaters, had to watch something great again. Re-watched LA Confidential and damn that shit is so good. Its one of those movies that comes out like once or twice a year where everything in the Hollywood system clicks into place. I think the most important scene happens near the middle where Oxley reveals to Jack Vicennes his suspicions about "Rollo Tomasi", and he asks Jack why he became a cop. Spacey drops his smug Spacey persona for a minute, looks down for a beat playing his chips anxiously, looks up with his eyes slightly red, chokes on the words "...I don't remember".

LA%2BConfidential%2BKevin%2BSpacey.jpg

I think that's why the movie really works, even with its fantastic 90s Dante Spinotti photography, menacing Jerry Goldsmith score, or the clarity and momentum of its writing/editing/direction that keeps all its various twists and characters moving with clarity and momentum. Its these three great lead performances take these character archetypes and they, along with the script, imbue them with a surprising amount of depth. Three people who learn their way of going through life isnt what they had hoped, and they need each other to get back on the right path. Watching these characters grow and bounce off each other is the anchor that all the other goodness is built around.

I just rewatched that after I got out of nice guys haha. It's a fantastic movie. Gonna outright say it. The best one Pearce has been in and second best crowe film as well.

Aye net wrecker I came out of xmen pretty disappointed too. Like 5-6/10 at best because I liked the first half tbh. Especially the mummy style opening. And the music is always money with the singer ones too.

But eh I still think X2 is top 3 cbm breh.

I feel like too much of a hater to even go back to X2 and get it right now. Need some space before a rewatch.

Haha. It depends what you look for in these things. Action-wise civil war is the one to beat. But just for overall film, plot, character stuff, villain etc. I got Spidey 2, TDK and X2 on this pedestal that nothing since TDK has touched imo.

Watched Night Before

More fun than the trailers let on. These 3 are just enjoyable to watch bro out on Christmas. It doesn't know when to end but I found it fun. Drug dealer was hilarious. Best part about the film
Michael Shannon the American MVP right now guys

To Have and Have Not (1944)
You know how to whistle, don’t you Steve? You just put your lips together and…blow.

Very enjoyable movie, even if it's clearly just an excuse for Bogart and Bacall to have fun. The story is similar to Casablanca, but is never quite believable. The two main characters really exist outside the story. 7/10

The Thing from Another World (1951)
You'd never know Carpenter's The Thing was related to this if not for the name. Good movie held back by the monster having no charisma or presence. 6/10

On the Waterfront (1954)
Marlon Brando is riveting, and the rest of the cast is good too. 8/10

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (1978)
Great movie. I could have kept watching the training scenes for a lot longer. It's all good but that's what makes it a must-see. 7.7/10

Layer Cake (2004)
Kingsman > Kick-Ass > Layer Cake

This was well made but ultimately I wasn't attached to anything in it. If I had been sold on Craig's character, on the way he was trying to make money combined with his dislike of using violence, I'm sure I would have liked it more. 5.9/10

Toothless

Took another trip to the cinema:

The Conjuring 2 is a sequel that thinks bigger is better, in good and bad ways. The Warrens get more character development, and the haunting is taking place in a city now, instead of a remote farmland. Yet, the urban landscape strongly takes away from the feeling the Warrens and the Hodgsons are isolated in their terror, and thus, the great atmosphere of the first film is mostly gone. The Hodgsons also feel underdeveloped, and Wan, Johnson, and the Hayeses are clearly more interested in how the Warrens' lives have developed. The film is still highly enjoyable though, having good scares and some fun characters. Patrick Wilson once again proves he should be a big Hollywood star with his immense likability and everyman-ness. Vera Farmiga is good too, but has much less to work with.

However, the only scenes where this film comes close to matching the masterful first one is when Wan showcases the pure humanity of the characters.
From Ed Warren serenading terrified children with Elvis to Maurice Grosse confiding in Lorraine about his lost daughter,
these are the moments that show why Wan is a spectacular director. He knows how to draw out primal fear, and that's by making sure to include primal compassion and understanding of his film's inhabitants. The Conjuring 2 may not be the masterpiece the first film was, but it is still a very good horror film, and, looking at both Conjurings and Furious 7, more evidence to James Wan being one of the human mainstream directors out there.

Just finished Sicario. It was overhyped for me by a friend, but was quite good. Had to watch it in parts, though, because I got too tired when I first tried watching it all.

Ridley327

Honeymoon: This is almost the Tale of Two Movies, as it seemed clear to me that you're not really supposed to know ahead of time that this turns into a horror film, as most of the first act really doesn't allude to that being the case. Initially, it focuses more on our couple as they bask in the afterglow of making their pairing official for all the world to see. Anyone expecting a horror film right out the gate is probably going to be throwing tomatoes at the screen, as there's a lot of "just married" high-jinks, but I found that it worked because Rose Leslie and Harry Treadaway make for a believable and fun couple to watch, despite their unconvincing Americanadian (?) accents. Once the turn happens, it becomes especially important that Leslie and Treadaway do play off each other as well as they do, as it helps sell the emotional stakes that the film puts forth as their situation deteriorates into equal parts paranoia and paranormal, with Leslie doing a lot of heavy lifting for the rest of the film in a neat physical performance. While those aspects work, it is let down by the filmmakers not really knowing how to deal with tension, as the film never attempts to hint at any other kind of outcome for why events happen the way they do, which diminishes the impact of the paranoia and flubs a potentially interesting alternate explanation right from the get-go. It also suffers from the common trap of recent horror films in which the menace itself assumes you're going to be on board with it without any questions asked, which ultimately leads to a lot of questions that the film doesn't seem interested in answering, or perhaps never had any answers prepared for it beyond a History Channel meme. The film reminded me a lot of the recent Spring, another film with surprisingly weak and ineffectual horror elements that wound up being saved by how well the central relationship worked. Unlike that film, Honeymoon doubles down on the horror elements towards the end, resulting in a slimy makeup effects moment that gets surprisingly little reflection, culminating in a drastically underwhelming conclusion that can't sell the shocks. It speaks well to the actors that they were able to carry the film for me as long as they did, but there's only so much they can do with a film that winds up feeling so indecisive to provoke such feelings of dissatisfaction.

Milton

Banned
Interstellar is so frustrating. There are moments in that movie that are so beautiful, especially with that booming soundtrack forcing this strange liquid out of my tear ducts, but jeeeeeeeesus the schmaltz is too much. Love.....bleh.

Interstellar was an unexpected emotional gut punch. It really affected me to an extent I was not expecting, at all. It made me sad because we as a species will almost certainly never get to visit and experience anything beyond our solar system.

Moments when I had to suppress man tears:

1) When he drives away from home, leaving his kids behind
2) When they return to the ship to discover they've been gone decades
3) The video messages scene
4) The final moments

But when Brand came out with that "love is the thing that transcends time and space" I almost vomited. Delete that scene and the film is almost perfect.

UrbanRats

Yeah the line is cheese, but honestly i think people who were upset by it being used as a plot device didn't understand what was going on, because the only thing "love" does, as far as plot progression goes, is set up motivations for character actions.
I mean when they say love transcends time and space, it's not literal.

Window

Les Diaboliques: The suspense just builds and builds. That last sequence is relentless. You keep waiting and waiting for a reveal but it never comes (until it does). Clouzot brilliantly plays with your expectations. No one has better captured the fear of peeking at the unknown just around the corner and behind the door. Finishes rather abruptly though.

Gods of Egypt

It's a shame about the bizarre casting choices, because it is actually a really entertaining fiasco of a movie in the vein of Jupiter Ascending or John Carter, rather than a ponderous slog like The Hobbit movies. This is the best type of bad movie to me because the people making it really were swinging for the fences.

The saddest thing about the casting is that there are dozens and dozens of minority actors in the movie, but they are usually just a crowd of slaves or peasants in the background, while freaking Gerard Butler literally plays a 10 foot tall half-naked Egyptian God that has lengthy scenery-chewing dialog.

They probably had tanning beds right off camera to get a fresh cook between takes, because everyone looks like Jane Fonda's handbag.

iuxion

Sicario

Very nice cinematography and performances from Del Toro and Brolin. That said, something felt missing.

Spectre

The movie has a nice style and playfulness until around the halfway mark, where it just nosedives. Not a fan of the direction they went with the story at all. The villain is terrible, though not really Waltz's fault. Overall a dud.

Hail, Caesar!

Loved this one! Just all around amusing, light entertainment.

How the hell did Curtis Hanson made such a good film (LA Confidential)? All his movies are sorta humdrum. It's one of those bizarre occasions.

What's the best Crowe's been in? The Insider? A Good Year?

Insider no doubt.

How the hell did Curtis Hanson made such a good film (LA Confidential)? All his movies are sorta humdrum. It's one of those bizarre occasions.

He had great source material to work with and that cast worked wonders as well. I enjoy 8mile but yeah that and everything else he's made are middling at best.

I wish we got to see that 3 hour cut of depalmas black dahlia that the author praised so much. Apparently it was much better than the crap we got. We need more James Ellroy movies. Good ones.

what do y'all think of fear and loathing in las vegas? just watched it for the first time and found it kinda tedious and only mildly funny

some neat set design thats par for the course for gilliam

omgkitty

what do y'all think of fear and loathing in las vegas? just watched it for the first time and found it kinda tedious and only mildly funny

Okay movie that goes on for way too long. I remember thinking why it wasn't over yet for most of the 2nd half.

Blader

Only seen it once and I enjoyed it a lot, but it was me and a couple guys watching very late into the night and were a number of beers and half a bottle of rum into it, which may have influenced the experience...

Arnie7

Banned
The Nice Guys
Excellent film up there with the best of 2016. Ryan Gosling steals the show. Such a underrated actor. The film is so funny. Excellent chemistry between Crowe, Gosling and his daughter. So many standout scenes like the ankle gun and rolling down hill.

Only seen it once and I enjoyed it a lot, but it was me and a couple guys watching very late into the night and were a number of beers and half a bottle of rum into it, which may have influenced the experience...

yeah that makes sense.. The feeling I had was of being sober and hanging out with people blasted out of their mind.. You're just not in on the joke

Ayumi

Hi all!

I've always loved to watch movies, and have watched a lot of them. Right now I'm working on watching titles that everyone knows and likes, that I for some reason haven't seen yet. I guess cult movies, and critically acclaimed ones.

Ah, I tried filling out these questions, but had to skip those I couldn't answer. Probably can't answer since my taste is so broad, and I'd end up mentioning 20+.

1. What's your favorite Movie?
Like absolute favorite? It's a tie between Gran Torino and Leon.
2. Who's your favorite director?
3. Who are your favorite actors/actresses?
Jim Carrey, Leonardo DiCaprio, Clint Eastwood, Samuel Jackson, Morgan Freeman.. Pretty common names!
4. Favorite Genre(s)?
Sci-Fi, Thriller (psychological), Fantasy, War. I'm always up for a great comedy too, and drama!
5. What's your favorite performance in film?
Clint Eastwood (Gran Torino), Leo DiCap (Wolf of Wallstreet), Tom Hanks (Cast Away), Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight), Anthony Hopkins (Hannibal), Samuel Jackson (too many to mention!), the list goes on~

Here's my Letterboxd:
http://letterboxd.com/Ayu

Kinda forgot I had it since I made it, so it's still pretty empty.

The Nice Guys
Excellent film up there with the best of 2016. Ryan Gosling steals the show. Such a underrated actor. The film is so funny. Excellent chemistry between Crowe, Gosling and his daughter. So many standout scenes like the ankle gun and rolling down hill.

The kid on the bike was hilarious .

UrbanRats

Found some time to watch Sonatine, earlier.
It's a very comfy movie, even with that Kitano violence sprinkled in.
Or maybe it's just that i'm nostalgic for it, cause i watched it several times as a kid.

Either way, i really love it, and Hisaishi's score is one of his best works.

EDIT: Also, welcome Ayumi.

SeanC

London has Fallen: As much as I like dumb action movies full of blood and f-bombs, that's one of the reasons I liked the previous film, this movie just goes past the line of acceptable dumbness and my suspension of disbelief can only go so far. Too bad because the action itself, other than some atrocious CGI in spots, is well shot and executed and I give props to some really solid stunt work and car crashes.

Keanu:
It really does feel like an extended sketch from the show, and that's good and all but along with that comes some filler and chunks that don't work. But I laughed, I love these guys so I'm game and goddamn is that one adorable kitten.

Jigorath

Banned
X-Men: Apocalypse

Kept my expectations low after the middling reviews so I wasn't too disappointed. I was surprised at how awful the action was in the finale tough. DOFP had pretty good action scenes from what I remember so what the fuck happened here. The opening and the Quicksilver rescue were the only parts I really liked. I'm looking forward to seeing the cut mall scene though. Bet it was a fun time.

Ridley327

The Secret of Kells: Undeniably a feast for the eyes and ears, but it often gets too enamored with its own technical prowess to notice that the story feels like an overly long first act of a tale with no follow-through and no ending, and that it doesn't really develop its characters as most are content on relating the lore of the land and then disappearing almost quite literally into the background. Still, it's hard to deny just how well the visuals keep you engaged, which does lead to some rather remarkable scenes, particularly in a showdown with a giant serpent. The folks over at Cartoon Saloon worked on improving the hell out of their storytelling craft with their follow-up feature, but as uneven as their humble beginning can get, it was a treat to see just how creative they were even on this film and the promise that they offered that continue to make them such an exciting force in animated feature films.

lordxar

Great movie that gets fucking long. Once all his shit kicks in and things go insane it really needs to wind up and not run another half hour+ Every time I've watched it goes like this: Holy shit this is awesome I need to watch this more often....60ish minutes later...holy shit this is why I don't watch this too often. The getting high part is great but the coming down blows.

Time for the first movie I've watched all month. Damn I'm slipping.

Knife in the Water. Very solid debut from Polanski. It's more of a subdued thriller than I was expecting, given his other work, but very effective. He finds a lot of creative ways to shoot the three characters in the same frame to maximize the tension, especially impressive given it's all on a tiny sailboat. It's a fairly simple movie, and obviously rougher than his later work, but I like how it opens itseld up to some ambiguity in the end rather than going with something a bit more predictable and melodramatic.

What the hell is up with the subtitles tho. Criterion seriously fucked up here, because only about 2/3rds of the lines were subtitled, and many of the ones that were didnt seem like particularly good translations. Thankfully the film conveys most of its character dynamics through action and framing and the dialogue is fairly sparse, but it still made for an aggravating viewing experience.

Midnight Special - I watched this with with high expectations due to the praise it got...and it's fucking nothing. What do people love so much about this? It's nothing special, with plenty of what seems to be unfinished ideas. I mean it's cool that the movie didn't go the tired "holding your hand" route to introduce you and explain everything for the first 40 minutes, but I'd be lying if I say this movie left me with anything meaningful. It's quite bland and only barely saved by Shannon and Edgerton's performances. The annoying looking/sounding kid did not help. 5.5/10

Timeaisis

Zootopia was alright. I liked the Pixar-esque world building, but the message was a bit too on the nose. Not as humorous as it could have been, some jokes fell flat for me. Really creative, though. The plot felt a little forced at times, but it was brisk enough that I didn't mind.

Midnight Special - I watched this with with high expectations due to the praise it got...and it's fucking nothing. What do people love so much about this? It's nothing special, with plenty of what seems to be unfinished ideas. I mean it's cool that the movie didn't go the tired "holding your hand" route to introduce you and explain everything for the first 40 minutes, but I'd be lying if I say this movie left me with anything meaningful. It's quite bland and only barely saved by Shannon and Edgerton's performances. The annoying looking/sounding kid did not help. 5.5/10

Yeah I felt the same for the most part. It was largely dissapointing despite some confident and lean filmmaking, the goofy as story just didn't support it. A little too many scenes induced eye rolling for my liking.

Blader

What the hell is up with the subtitles tho. Criterion seriously fucked up here, because only about 2/3rds of the lines were subtitled, and many of the ones that were didnt seem like particularly good translations. Thankfully the film conveys most of its character dynamics through action and framing and the dialogue is fairly sparse, but it still made for an aggravating viewing experience.

That's what I thought too, but apparently those are Polanski's personally written subtitles. They're intended to be that shitty. :lol

Window

Le Corbeau: Favorite film of one of the managers at my workplace and it's definitely a good'un. Clouzot continues to impress with his expert direction and in depicting a morally grey world. This film lacks the pure cinematic punch of Les Diaboliques but is more direct in its social commentary, on fragility of communities and people's need to feel morally superior to their peers. The conversation on morality under the swaying light bulb in the dark with shifting shadows is a highlight. The main character rediscovering love and reassessing his views on a major past event of his life did nothing for me though and felt rather tangential to the bigger picture.

UrbanRats

Yeah I felt the same for the most part. It was largely dissapointing despite some confident and lean filmmaking, the goofy as story just didn't support it. A little too many scenes induced eye rolling for my liking.

Hard not to be goofy with the subject matter, but honestly, i thought they were doing fine up until the last act.
And the problem is, the movie really put all its eggs into that basket, and the finale had to really blow away, for the rest to have had any sense.
Unfortunately,
the reveal and design of the parallel dimension, was pretty lame and pedestrian, like if this was Knowing i wouldn't have been surprised by that, but given the praise i was expecting more.

However the film still had enough confidence in its direction, to make the ride somewhat worthwhile, for me.
And the whole cast gave pretty great performances, with what they were given.

Zootopia
- Really strong entry from Disney, the best thing they (and Pixar) did in a long ass while.
Yeah the subject matter is hammered into your head, but this is supposed to be a children's movie, so it's fine.
The sheer amount of creativity in every aspect of the world they created is what was missing from Inside Out for me, and something that makes me almost wish for a sequel, so we can see more of it.
On top of that, the humor was funny (for the most part) and the drama wasn't terribly aggravating.

Just nicely done all around.

Only things i hated:
Shakira felt REALLY forced in.
The nudists scene made me think how odd it was that they had no genitals, especially with all the sex jokes they throw out.
I get that it's a kid's movie and nobody wants to see some elephant's "trunk" on their 100 feet cinema screen, but still, i would've preferred some Austin Powers style trick.
I guess the joke is to poke fun and Donald Duck and co. being without pants tho.

Toothless

To Dory and his other friends, Marlin is what he goes by. To the turtles, he’s the Jellyman. To those who don’t know him, he’s an unfunny clownfish. But most importantly, to Nemo, he’s Dad. Finding Nemo takes a quest worthy of legends and makes it intimate, brilliantly making the relationships of Nemo, Marlin, and Dory resonate with strong emotions all the way through.

Populated with great character actors trying out animation for the first time along with some Pixar alumni, there’s not a single weak vocal performance in the cast. Dory might just be the greatest character Pixar has created, combining comedy with pathos in a truly lovely way. It’s a wonder that Brooks’ performance still manages to outshine DeGeneres’, but the audience’s sympathy for Marlin works thanks to both Brooks and really nuanced writing.

The film is frequently hilarious, but unfortunately Marlin and Dory’s expedition ends up being rather inconsistent in the quality of the humor. However, Marlin and Dory are always a joy to watch in these segments, and Nemo’s adventures with the Tank Gang are much more consistent. The film lacks ambition in a way; there are no deeper themes, it’s just the story of a father looking for his son. This isn’t really a flaw, but at points, the character-piece feel is at odds against the epic scope of the film. Despite some minor issues, Finding Nemo is more than the sum of its parts and earns its reputation as a modern childhood classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom