• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| May 2017

The Great Wall

Matt Damon's terrible accent and goofy premise aside, I really liked it. Creature design was cool, and there were some nice visuals.

⭐⭐⭐½

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me:
Making a prequel to explicitly show the events audiences have already absorbed through emotional osmosis during the course of two seasons of Twin Peaks sounds like a bad idea on paper, but thankfully Lynch uses Fire Walk With Me less as a means of explicit plot exploration and more as a way to enrich Laura Palmer's character.

Indeed people looking for answers after the show will probably come away disappointed, but I think humanizing the character who we only knew as a corpse that kicked off the show was the right way to go. This is a tragic, and relentlessly bleak movie. It's certainly messy, and at times disjointed (the first act, more steeped in the goofy side of Twin Peaks, almost feels like it's from a different movie), but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I also watched the first part of Twin Peaks: The Return. Holy shit, Lynch hasn't lost a step at all. I got some serious Eraserhead vibes from it. Was not expecting it to be quite so creepy. The cinematography is also gorgeous.

If we're looking for a scene to compare directly, it would be that, yes, but I don't think it was executed as well. It's fun, and gets progressively more ridiculous/explosive as it expands beyond the room, but it wasn't gripping in the same way. It went from "Ew" to "Oh this is just goofy" real quick. The c-section is a perfect little blip of confined intensity housed in a terrible movie.

I am absolutely not down with the Dr. Frankenstein stuff though. If this was a different franchise, I might be singing a different tune, but that aspect of how this is unfolding is really annoying the hell out of me.

Eh, the series has been super dumb for at least 15 years, and I don't think it's possible to make an Alien origin film that's not terribly misguided, so especially after the Prometheus mess I'm kinda beyond getting precious about the Alien movies. On its own terms the campy mad scientist stuff was pretty fun, and it's not gonna affect my enjoyment of the good Alien movies any more than the last string of bad ones did.

Or maybe Prometheus just broke me.

Fassbender needs to get back to finding some good scripts. He gave it his all for Covenant and was rewarded with that dumbass scene
where the alien raised his hands at him

That scene was absolutely ridiculous. Why did Scott think that was a good idea. FFS

Viral

Decent horror flick. Not at all scary, though that echolocation shit that the infected do is just as creepy here as it is in TLoU.

⭐⭐⭐

kevin1025

Banned
I watched Assassin's Creed and xXx: Return of Xander Cage.

Assassin's Creed was fairly boring and drab throughout, and the amount of aerial shots were mindblowing. Not the shots themselves, the amount of them. Fassbender looked a little out to lunch for a lot of this, and nothing really connected with me.

xXx was absolutely ridiculous. The motorcycle jet ski sequence made me laugh a ton, I think my brain may have snapped.

I need to get back to watching good movies, man.

I don't think I posted about these so just briefly:

Your Name. (8.5/10) - Has the same penchant for corny music montages as 5 Centimeters per Second (not to mention a strangely similar ending), but I surprisingly found it a lot more palatable this time. That opening credits sequence had me drawing a deep breath and preparing for the worst, but as everything began to unfold, I was quickly charmed (there's some really beautiful music throughout, as well). The first half is amazingly clever and funny, and the hard left turn in the second half was every bit as engaging. This thing balances humor and melancholy really well, and watching a body swap comedy suddenly transform into basically a summer blockbuster featuring
time traveling, comet fighting, action romance spectacle
was a genuine thrill. This is the movie to beat this summer for sheer fun.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (6.5/10) - Not as good as the first, but the lovable cast of unlikable assholes and fuckups remain every bit as endearing. Some elements, such as the humor and soundtrack, feel more forced and indulgent, and are a lot more hit or miss as a result (some music cues are great, others entirely forgettable or overbearing, and prolonged joke bits like that "does anybody have tape" sequence are often just a complete waste of time, on top of being completely unfunny), but the highs are still pretty high, and the adventure is bursting with color and charm. This is also the only MCU franchise, outside of Captain America, that can actually elicit genuine emotions from me, and while that aspect was also hit or miss this time (the scene between Rocket and Yondu did absolutely nothing for me), I still gotta give credit where it's due. Gunn has done a pretty decent job helming these things.

The World's End

Honestly wasn't feeling this at first. Thought it was gonna be another standard buddy comedy, but then the bathroom scene happened. That shit was awesome. Hell, all of the fights were surprisingly well done. Same for the choreography. No wonder Nick Frost is so great in Into the Badlands. And what a ridiculous ending for a ridiculous movie. Loved it.

⭐⭐⭐⭐½

The Girl With All The Gifts: So this movie has a lot of similarities to the Last of Us (e.g., fungal infected zombies), but I really enjoyed this movie and was really surprised how beautiful and well shot this movie was with such a small budget. Glen Close had a great performance here too. But I hated the ending which knocks the movie down a few pegs. (7/10)

Tokyo Story (1953)

There is a time when the children send their aged parents to a hot spring to "relax". The other visitors are a young, raucous bunch, talking and listening to music into the night, so that the parents can't sleep. The camera lingers on the parents' shoes placed outside their door.

And maybe I'm being weird, but I found that shot to be unbelievably funny. The situation itself is funny, and that perfect image sends it over the top. Not many films can be laugh-out-loud funny and terribly sad at the same time. Warm, humanizing, and tragic.

I think this is the most difficult Ozu film I've seen so far, since it really requires the viewer to feel generous toward the children and grandchildren, critical toward the parents, and perspicacious toward Noriko. For example, there is a burden of shared history and disappointed expectations on the children, which Noriko doesn't have. What makes Noriko such a wonderful character is that she knows it, and doesn't have moral certainty in not having moved on. It probably helps to have seen a comedy first, to get off on the right track here with the early humor.

Overall, I love this movie. 9+/10

Pachimari

So yeah, I finally got around to Get Out last night, and I loved it. Especially the build up, but I felt the third act kind of waned and didn't have the same impact. Still, it was a great movie that I enjoyed watching, and probably the best film I've seen this year. [ending spoiler] I kind of wish there hadn't
been all of this shooting by the end, and instead he would have escaped the house, but let the family be intact, us learning about what they've been doing for years, but by no means stopping it. So that the ending would have left us like "oh yes he escaped! but damn they get to continue their mess", or "what happens to the family now?" and let it end.

Attack the Block (rewatch)
watching Goonies the other day prompted me to want to rewatch this soon as well. Oh man does this still hold up as a super fun siege movie. A lot of John Carpenter influence in here with a modern day chav kid twist to it all. the London slang was dope, you hear a lot of that shit in Toronto too now and its in all those Drake songs you hear too lol.

Also its odd seeing this again post-Star Wars with Boyega. I think Abrams really cheesed up the guy and he sadly seems like such a dork now so its hard to believe that just a few years ago he was playing this tough as hell and swagged out kid. Hopefully we see some more edge in him in another role though. But its awesome that he took off so far.

Fun movie, good ensemble. The scene where all the kids are hanging out at this girl's place is so natural, Joe Cornish nailed it. I think its a shame he took so long to make another film, whatever he has up next I'm there day one.

War Machine

The new David Michod (Animal Kingdom, The Rover) movie on Netflix. I think Brad Pitt is gonna get a lot of shit for this performance haha. Personally I enjoyed him in here though, he walks the line between cartoon character and a sympathetic hardass quite well. Dude was fun to watch.

It felt like a step down from the director's previous two movies which I loved but overall I thought it was alright. As a commentary on the failure of the Afghan war it worked quite well, the satire/comedy side of things wasn't as hot though. Whenever the humour centred around incompetent bureaucracy and military came into play it mostly fell flat, making me just think I'd rather be watching Dr. Strangelove or In the Loop again. But the more dramatic side of the movie about the doomed mission was pretty interesting.

Dope cast though. It was good to see Keith Stanfield and Will Poulter get small roles in here too, I think they're among the best of the younger actors coming up right now tbh.

This movie was only half successful with what it was trying to do, but its worth a watch. Hopefully Michod bounces back with something better next time tho.

Lady Chatterley’s Lover is a very well put together, beautifully shot film, that lacks an ounce of passion or a single spark. Which for a love story feels very odd, frankly.

For one, I'm not sure what the age rating was, but its remarkably chaste for such a story of burning passions, both in terms of the sex scenes, and the violence of war and the violence of passionate love (I'm using the word passion a lot here) The story isn't a bad story at all, and perhaps reading the book would let your imagination run free and create a much more vivid world and love affair than this presents to us, according to wikipedia this book was considered scandalous when released in 1930's Britain, but in 2017 it feels dreadfully flat.

The characters are all shallow and empty, and seem to lack any chemistry with each other at all, even during the 'steamy' scenes, and the acting is overall more than a little wooden.

Not an awful watch, but just a soulless and passionless (there's that word again)

So yeah, I finally got around to Get Out last night, and I loved it. Especially the build up, but I felt the third act kind of waned and didn't have the same impact. Still, it was a great movie that I enjoyed watching, and probably the best film I've seen this year. [ending spoiler] I kind of wish there hadn't
been all of this shooting by the end, and instead he would have escaped the house, but let the family be intact, us learning about what they've been doing for years, but by no means stopping it. So that the ending would have left us like "oh yes he escaped! but damn they get to continue their mess", or "what happens to the family now?" and let it end.

In a way I agree but I think Peele's intention was to
have a horror movie where the victim is actually smart and prevails over the antagonist, which rarely happens. The last movie I remember this happening to such a degree was the straight to DVD movie Wrong Turn 2 lol.

The Wolverine

Figured I should finally watch this before Logan. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. It's miles better than X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Anyway, loved the setting, and the train sequence is a real standout. Viper was pretty cool too.

⭐⭐⭐⭐

Saw Pirates yesterday. I went thinking I'd hate it but it was still fairly entertaining. Good action scenes, Sparrow is still funny, etc. I really like the character. Ringo was completely unnecessary tho.

~Kinggi~

Banned
The Wolverine

Figured I should finally watch this before Logan. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. It's miles better than X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Anyway, loved the setting, and the train sequence is a real standout. Viper was pretty cool too.

⭐⭐⭐⭐

Logan is 10x better. Enjoy!

~Kinggi~

Banned
Berlin-Syndrome-2017.jpg

Berlin Syndrome, whew lad this was disturbing. Great abduction movie, i've always liked Terasa Palmer since Warm Bodies, she is great here.

Devils Candy. Didnt know what to expect, but as the movie went on it really went places i wasnt predicting. Last movie the director did was The Loved Ones, which then made sense to me why this was good. Really came out of nowhere, great movie with a lot of personality.

kevin1025

Banned
Condolences.

I may need a drink to pay respects to my lost brain cells.

Berlin Syndrome, whew lad this was disturbing. Great abduction movie, i've always liked Terasa Palmer since Warm Bodies, she is great here.

Devils Candy. Didnt know what to expect, but as the movie went on it really went places i wasnt predicting. Last movie the director did was The Loved Ones, which then made sense to me why this was good. Really came out of nowhere, great movie with a lot of personality.

I read some damn fine things about Berlin Syndrome, I'll definitely be giving it a look!

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I, Daniel Blake: 8/10. I was having trouble sympathizing with his plight in the Kafkaesque social welfare system cause fuck man, at least you have a safety net over there. But it's Ken Loach though so of course I did.
The Gospel According To Mathew (1964): 7/10. How did Jesus perform miracles? Jump cuts! It's just that easy. This seemed like a pretty straightforward telling of the story though apparently it's communist or something.
Kong Skull Island: 6/10. It's so unfair.. just because he's different. :( This was pretty stupid but I knew it was going to be. Still a million times better than Jackson's horeshit. Does Brie Larson have fake titties?
Logan: 8/10. Yoooooooooooo this was tight. Brutal as fuck, with actual stakes. Made me realize the reason I have such trouble connecting with MCU films is because they're for fucking babbies. Like I know they gotta get them 12 year olds in the seats, I just wish we could get more of this. Really surprised how much I enjoyed this. Not sure why I'm not rating it higher really. One quibble was the entire plot exposition via cell phone video but whatever. Also I like how the comics existed in this world.

Watched Trainspotting 2 at a friend's house. Yeah, it's not out yet but he offered and I was dying to see it.

My friend and I don't see much of each other anymore because of work and family life, but when the original Trainspotting came out we were inseparable and we both loved the film and watched it many times, both on our own and together. I hadn't seen it in about fifteen years and was apprehensive of a sequel.

I was wrong.

I can't believe how weirdly emotional it made us both, it really brought back so many memories of our youth and what life was like then. I think we were perfectly primed for the themes of the film. There's really nothing bad I can say about it. Loved it.

yeah the story might have been a bit of a mess but the feels really got me in T2.. I just love those characters

I also felt like I watched it at the right time in my life

kevin1025

Banned
Watched Trainspotting 2 at a friend's house. Yeah, it's not out yet but he offered and I was dying to see it.

My friend and I don't see much of each other anymore because of work and family life, but when the original Trainspotting came out we were inseparable and we both loved the film and watched it many times, both on our own and together. I hadn't seen it in about fifteen years and was apprehensive of a sequel.

I was wrong.

I can't believe how weirdly emotional it made us both, it really brought back so many memories of our youth and what life was like then. I think we were perfectly primed for the themes of the film. There's really nothing bad I can say about it. Loved it.

yeah the story might have been a bit of a mess but the feels really got me in T2.. I just love those characters

I also felt like I watched it at the right time in my life

It's definitely a movie that hits you harder if it's at the right time in your life. Super good to hear it did for you guys. It did for me, too. It came out in such a staggered and quiet way in theatres that I imagine a lot missed it the first go-around, I hope it gets a lot more love now that it's becoming more available!

Alien Covenant- Sir Ridley

It's important to take into consideration Ridley Scott was 78-79 while making this movie (not only that he makes them yearly). I think people forget this and they shouldn't. There's a sloppiness to this movie which is very jarring.

This is pretty much a Prometheus sequel taking a very unexpected direction. That, per se, is not necessarily bad (at all), but conceptually it's weird as fuck why they thought this story was appropriate as the next film. It's mostly a trashy slasher, with Aliens (and Kenny Powers) involved and being shoehorned as a sequel. I actually laughed hysterically to a couple of scenes, probably not the reaction I hoped (and they) but it's undeniable a fun movie. A dumb one perhaps. But entertaining. It lacks the finesse, the adroitness and elegance of what made this franchise relevant almost 40 years ago. Tonally-wise, an appropriate comparison within the franchise would be Alien 4.

I want to go on a very small rant. I'm reading impressions around this movie (gaf, reddit, avp, others boards) and people are drowning themselves in lore, canon, exquisite theories, possible sequels and every single bullshit tangent they can think about. This sort of puzzle-like mentality putting filmmaking on the background over unnecessary information is something nerds love to do (you see this bullshit originating in Star Wars and it plagues franchises), a web-creation of information which is utterly irrelevant to the film-experience. And the Aliens franchise went that route and that's Ridley fault. Right now this movies are being made to his people, whose movie exposure is as diverse as neogafs average sex life. That was neither Scott, Cameron or Fincher objective. It annoys me somewhere down the line Ridley became more interested in building a franchise, knitting past and future events, opening up immediate sequels and playing with mythos than telling a compelling story. And that is fucking sad.

Logan

Hands down my favorite comic book movie so far, and I believe it's also the first to make me cry. Just wow. What a beautiful, well-crafted film. The action sequences were amazing, and the acting was top notch. Dafne Keene was fantastic. The casting was perfect.

Just like Deadpool, I don't think they would have been able to do this justice if it were rated PG-13. I'd love to see Disney/Marvel put out some R-rated MCU flicks where it makes sense. I guess the closest we're gonna get to that are the Netflix shows.

But yeah, reeeaaaly great movie. I do wish it ended differently somehow
I prefer happier endings
, but I don't think the ending was in any way bad.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Alien Covenant- Sir Ridley

It's important to take into consideration Ridley Scott was 78-79 while making this movie (not only that he makes them yearly). I think people forget this and they shouldn't. There's a sloppiness to this movie which is very jarring.

I don't think age can be a factor. Let's break it down in comparison to other film directors making good-to-excellent movies in their 70s-80s. Woody Allen was 77 when he made Blue Jasmine (2013) and around 70 for Match Point (2005), some of his recent best films. Although yeah, Woody Allen is prolific like Ridley, and that has lead to repetition and weaker versions of earlier works.

Alejandro Jodorowsky (88)
- The Dance Of Reality (2013)
- Endless Poetry (2016)

George Miller (72)
- Mad Max Fury Road (2015)

Andrzej Zulawski (75, died in 2016)
- Cosmos (2015)

Roman Polanski (83)
- The Ghost Writer (2010)
- Carnage (2011)
- Venus In Fur (2013)

Alain Resnais (91, dead)
- Life Of Ridley (2014, Alain died a few weeks later)

Sidney Lumet (86, dead)
- Before The Devil Knows You're Dead (2007, Sidney was 82 at the time)

UrbanRats

Not everyone ages the same way.
Compaeing two 80 years old isnt the same as comparing two 30 years old.

Not that i think Ridley Scott is on the elevl of actually genius directors.

I'm not advocating he is not sane but he's clearly past an age where normal functioning is expected and he is working on this sort of massive kind of production, vastly different from the type of movies you listed Messofanego (I would also say those are indeed a bit irrelevant in the careers of the authors). At 79 we naturally deteriorate and I can't look at this movies without taking that into a factor.

Coffinhal

I don't think age can be a factor. Let's break it down in comparison to other film directors making good-to-excellent movies in their 70s-80s. Woody Allen was 77 when he made Blue Jasmine (2013) and around 70 for Match Point (2005), some of his recent best films. Although yeah, Woody Allen is prolific like Ridley, and that has lead to repetition and weaker versions of earlier works.

Alejandro Jodorowsky (88)
- The Dance Of Reality (2013)
- Endless Poetry (2016)

George Miller (72)
- Mad Max Fury Road (2015)

Andrzej Zulawski (75, died in 2016)
- Cosmos (2015)

Roman Polanski (83)
- The Ghost Writer (2010)
- Carnage (2011)
- Venus In Fur (2013)

Alain Resnais (91, dead)
- Life Of Ridley (2014, Alain died a few weeks later)

Sidney Lumet (86, dead)
- Before The Devil Knows You're Dead (2007, Sidney was 82 at the time)

Godard
Film socialisme (2011), Adieu langage (2014, Prix du jury Cannes)

The Elephant Man (1980) is just as wonderful and emotional as ever, and a great counterpoint to Eraserhead's stilted industrial nightmare. I do find myself enjoying those surreal images a lot more these days than I did the first time and wishing Lynch pushed the movie further in that direction, but there's plenty of that in movies to come, and this one absolutely succeeds as it is. Tears, fam.

Dune (1984) is still one of the more fascinating and frustrating disasters to watch unfold in film. The parts that work the best are the slower, more atmospheric scenes such as the flyover before the sandworm destroys the spice mining facility, or when Brian Eno's incredible Prophecy Theme is being played. Those and the dreamy sequences with overlapping images, and shots of water rippling, and space folding, and drugs. So it's no surprise that as the movie speeds up and rushes past a wild number of plot points and battles with no regard for dramatic pacing, it comes crashing down in glorious flames. If this was just 2 hours of Lynch and Kyle MacLachlan floating through the cosmos with Brian Eno music and this crazy production design, it would be top tier David Lynch. Unfortunately it's bursting at the seams with exposition, and wacky 80s guitar symphonies, and terrible action scenes, and customs/lore that go entirely unexplored because "KEEP IT TO 2 HOURS, GOTDAMMIT!" It's too bad we'll never see the real cut. One day I have to track down that ~3 hour Redux Fanedit.

And just for the record, I like the whispered inner thoughts.

... Mulholland Drive is one of my fave movies of all time but Zodiac beats it out for movie of the century.

Just started a rewatch of Zodiac last night, can't remember much from seeing it years ago. Only got 40 minutes in but was impressed.

Stupid question - how did they do the overhead shots of the taxi ride before the murder? Just shoot a load of excess, and painstakingly crop it? Or was it a model or something? Kind of mind blowing.

The Darkness (2016)- probably the blandest horror movie I've seen in a while. I sorta liked how every one of the leads had issues but it never really came together in any meaningful way. Those black handprints were DUMB. A 2 star movie that wasn't outright awful but still not good. Don't bother.

Rewatched Resident Evil: The Final Chapter last night.

Seriously, eff the haters. Yes, the editing is insanely hyperkinetic, but there is a rhythm to it that leaves the action and geography mostly readable. The plot is standard silly series stuff, but includes some neat echoes and parallels to previous installments. There are also fun monsters and relatively novel zombie situations, which seems nearly impossible this late in the genre.

It's a shame that Project Alice and her racially diverse pals, featuring plenty of strong women, never got the attention of the folks who care about that sort of thing. I'm genuinely bummed that this will be the last of her adventures. Here's hoping that the great Paul Anderson, contemporary king of the b-movie, gets back in theaters ASAP. I'd also like to see Jovovich get some work in the DCEU.

Just started a rewatch of Zodiac last night, can't remember much from seeing it years ago. Only got 40 minutes in but was impressed.

Stupid question - how did they do the overhead shots of the taxi ride before the murder? Just shoot a load of excess, and painstakingly crop it? Or was it a model or something? Kind of mind blowing.

That shot is pretty much entirely CGI. Zodiac uses a ton of it.

From the point when the Zodiac gets into the taxi until he kills the driver at the corner of Washington and Cherry in Presidio Heights, the sequence is entirely CG. Digital Domain modeled the cab and loaned it to Matte World. Matte World created the CG environments.

"David [Fincher] wanted it to look like it had been photographed from a helicopter," Barron says. "But, as the taxi goes around the corner, the framing keeps the taxi perfectly in the center. That couldn't have been done as precisely from a helicopter. Creating the shot in CG was a way to make the framing precise and because the camera move was a little unrealistic, it added tension. The important thing was that the environment look absolutely real, that it didn't telegraph the effect. The shot communicated subconsciously that something was wrong because the movement was somewhat unreal but the environment was real."

Evans used Google Earth to plot the taxi driver's route and decide where to place the cameras. "I could figure out, given the elevation of the camera, how many blocks we could see," he says. "If we were at 150 feet, I could tell how much of a rooftop we would see; I knew how many car lengths would we see from top to bottom. So, we could construct the shot very accurately." The result is a camera position that would have been too low for a helicopter and too high for a crane.

Hernandez used a combination of AutoCAD, 3ds Max, and ImageModeler to plot the CG environment, model the buildings, and texture them. "It was a photogrammetry exercise," he says. "I went from building to building, rooftop to rooftop, taking photographs of Geary Street and Van Ness Avenue from street level and from rooftops."

To capture the intersection of Geary and Van Ness, Hernandez rented the top floor suite of the Cathedral Hill Hotel, waited until traffic died down at 4:30 in the morning, and then shot bracketed stills with a Nikon D2X using 15, 20, and 30-second exposures. Once Hernandez had collected the photos, he laid them on an accurate street grid that he had drawn in AutoCAD.

"I found out as I started laying out this CAD plan, that it was all about resolving the basic scale," he says. He added the photographs to create a ground plane, and then created the buildings in photogrammetry. "The buildings created in photogrammetry gave us the basic framework," he says. "Even if the building was slightly off-scale, we could position it on the CAD drawing as a template." Photographs projected onto the geometry provided detailed textures.

Once Hernandez finished building the digital set, the animation team added the yellow cab and other cars. To accent the turn at the intersection and give the street dimension, Barron had the matte artists add a grid of trolley bus cables. In addition, he shot Matte World employees looking at the taxi, crossing the streets, walking their dogs, and so forth, with Fincher's Viper camera, and composited those elements into the shot.

"I think that working natively in a digital format makes it much easier for us," Barron says. "Because the whole film was shot in a digital format, we could take shots, manipulate them, add elements, and composite then without having to worry about scanning. In fact, we did plate shoots with the Viper camera for some shots during the day and worked on them that evening. It was almost as easy to bring in live digital movies and manipulate them as it is bringing digital stills into Photoshop."

Once the cab reached the killer's destination, Digital Domain took over. For the rest of the shot, the cab is real, but the neighborhood, for the most part, is not.
source

...now stop posting online and watch the movie breh

Quick Google search suggests it was CGI

Safety Last!: Everyone knows the clock scene, but it's part of of a larger scene where he's forced to climb an entire building by himself. There's more to this movie though, starting with the first scene where you think he's in jail about to be executed, but he's actually at a train station. The comedy comes from him trying to be an honest worker and provider for his girlfriend, but he winds up getting into a bunch of antics. It's a silent comedy worth checking out. In fact, you can check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-XZWZVVhvQ

lordxar

Safety Last!: Everyone knows the clock scene, but it's part of of a larger scene where he's forced to climb an entire building by himself. There's more to this movie though, starting with the first scene where you think he's in jail about to be executed, but he's actually at a train station. The comedy comes from him trying to be an honest worker and provider for his girlfriend, but he winds up getting into a bunch of antics. It's a silent comedy worth checking out. In fact, you can check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-XZWZVVhvQ

If you have Filmstruck...eh maybe the Criterion part...watch how they made it if you haven't. Those climbing shots fucked with me 100 years later and seeing how they actually shot it was very cool. Amazing that 100 some odd year old film can give a person vertigo.

lol.

It's a great little flick, but don't believe those stories of people passing out.

Unless you've never seen a horror movie before.
Oh, I didn't even know there were stories of people passing out. I've seen plenty of horror movies, but I haven't seen many that revolve around cannibalism.

Top Bottom