• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| May 2017

karasu

what?

...what?

they didn't "own a plantation." they were residents of a religious settlement in NE, sometimes called a plantation (e.g. plymouth plantation) in the 1600s. it's not like, a southern plantation in the 1800s, and they sure didn't own it (they are very poor). they're banned for having a stricter interpretation of the scripture than the rest of the residents. that's all we're given. that you jumped from that to "they were banned for owning slaves" because thomasin says the word slave is a huge leap (the phrase "like a slave" is literally an analogy, for example—all it proves is that thomasin knows what a slave is), and it holds zero water with the historical knowledge that 1) there were relatively few slaves 2) only the very wealthy could afford them 3) even if the WERE somehow slaveowners...they wouldn't haven been banished for that because it was allowed.

I mean anybody can not like a movie fine cool but not liking a movie because you invented a factually invalid backstory...those are some impressive mental gymnastics my dude

I didn't dislike the movie, I loved it. I also didn't assume they were banished as a result of owning slaves. You misunderstood me. I assumed the plantation they lived on before being banished had slaves because there were slaves in New England and not only in the south, and since the plantation was owned by a church then that was a definite possibility. I loved the movie, I just didn't feel bad for what happened to the family.

shwimpy

Edge of Seventeen - thoroughly enjoyed it. It's probably my favorite "I have so many problems, the world is against me" teenage movie yet. Couldn't stop starring at Blake Jenner's weirdly proportioned body after his sister mentioned it. Liked him in 'Everbody Wants Some' and liked him in this. He should be in more movies.

There should be more Star Wars movies.

Ugh... after Rogue One, hell no! Should be 1 film every 2 year. Disney is making me care less and less abut Star Wars. Hell, this upcoming Han Solo movie sounds like a big pass and I can't believe that I'm even considering skipping a Star Wars film... although I did skip seeing Return of the Sith in theaters after the garbage that was Attack of the Clones.

Pachimari

I got around a few movies the last few days:

Get Out (2016) ★★★★☆
This one has probably been the movie I've been wanting to watch since people started talking about it earlier this year, and it did not disappoint. I loved the introduction and really felt like we got something great going on here, and I actually loved seeing this couple, and this black guy worrying while his gf comforts him and says he has nothing to worry about. Of course the intro was scary and sets the mood kinda, and it all escalates when they end up at her family's house. It really plays its cards well and it gets creepy real fast. I think I would have done the third act differently to be honest, [end spoiler]
as I wasn't too fond of it ending up with the main character shooting everyone up, as I would have preferred a more subdued resolution with him escaping making us feel "phew, he got out! but what about the family!?" ending it with the family continuing their shenanigans.
Blue Valentine (2010) ★★★★★
I had been recommended this one a lot, so I finally decided to sit down with it, and was gladly surprised by the casting of Ryan Gosling who I have loved in all of his recent films. Especially with his portrayal in The Notebook which is one of my absolute top films, and this one addressing another relationship made me jump back to 2004 and that film, which is a good thing. Although I quickly come to learn, that this guy is completely different from the romantic one seen in the Nicholas Sparks adaptation. This film was at times hard to watch, as you see these two people struggling with each other, and the movie comparing it to that spark they once had. I could relate to this relation in bits and pieces, so much that it brought feelings up in me, which I ultimately want my movies to do. Both Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams went above and beyond with their performances, going that extra mile showing their named selves to add layers to their troubled ensemble. To be quite honest, Blue Valentine might have jumped straight into my Top 10 Films list.

Wonder Woman (2009) ★★★★☆
Let it be said. I haven't watched too many feature film cartoons throughout my life, and honestly, I remember only having seen one recently, which was Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, which I were indifferent toward really. Since I'm very excited about the film adaption of the amazon warrior, I decided to check out the 2009 story of the comic book superheroine and to my surprise, I enjoyed it more than the aforementioned Batman title, but I also legit thought it could stand on it own legs. Wonder Woman really goes back to basics, and is a very good entrance point for new people who wanna get to know this hero, as it introduces you to the world of Themyscira before Diana was born in its introduction, it goes through why the women of that island rather be left alone, and it plays with the idea of opening up and letting go of past decisions. You will come to know Wonder Woman herself, her gear, her purpose, her journey around the modern day society and men themselves, and her family history. It's a truly great warmup to next month's film adaption. Simply great.

kevin1025

Banned
Ugh... after Rogue One, hell no! Should be 1 film every 2 year. Disney is making me care less and less abut Star Wars. Hell, this upcoming Han Solo movie sounds like a big pass and I can't believe that I'm even considering skipping a Star Wars film... although I did skip seeing Return of the Sith in theaters after the garbage that was Attack of the Clones.

I definitely think Lucasfilm and Disney should be careful with the franchise, you definitely are right in the skepticism. But watching back The Force Awakens this evening, I see the absolute potential there. It's something that needs to be handled with the utmost care, but I think if they find insanely good voices, like, say, Rian Johnson, they can hit something no one could have imagined.

But with this amount of money involved, some things aren't going to end up ideal.

Wonder Woman :
It's a lovable origin movie with some amount of cheese. The story is not particularly original or unpredictable, but the movie made up for it with a likeable misfit crew and a determined & genuine Steve Trevor (Chris Pine) and a passionate Wonder Woman who is for a change, not gloomy and cynical like her other super colleagues. It's a positive feel good movie that managed to be humorous without forced quipping, I really like it a lot.

The only thing that I actively dislike about this movie is, the final CG boss battle towards the end is rather cheap looking.

Pachimari

Wonder Woman:
The only thing that I actively dislike about this movie is, the final CG boss battle towards the end is rather cheap looking.
Oh damn, I don't hope this is another superhero vs. huge monster battle at the end like BvS. Not that I disliked it in the other film, but I would like for something different this time around.

I think one of things that makes Get Out great is the violence at the end. It's just so damn cathartic. The movie needs that moment.
I agree that it is really cathartic but I don't know about if it needs that moment.

Oh damn, I don't hope this is another superhero vs. huge monster battle at the end like BvS. Not that I disliked it in the other film, but I would like for something different this time around.
Not giant CG monster, I was talking about CG stunt doubles, they have no weight.

Mett

The Disappointments Room...was just disappointing. The only thing going for it was that it had Kate Beckinsale. The pacing in it just didn't seem good at all. Horror movies just aren't what they use to be.

I didn't dislike the movie, I loved it. I also didn't assume they were banished as a result of owning slaves. You misunderstood me. I assumed the plantation they lived on before being banished had slaves because there were slaves in New England and not only in the south, and since the plantation was owned by a church then that was a definite possibility. I loved the movie, I just didn't feel bad for what happened to the family.

...So you didn't feel bad about the family and children because someone else in the village they got banished from may or may not have had slaves, even though the movie never even hints at such a thing?

Watched The Straight Story for the first time since the early 2000s last night. I don't care if you love Lynch for his surreal/nightmarish qualities, people who don't have this in their top 5 Lynch are insane. Absolutely beautiful movie. I'll throw more superlatives at it in a proper post after I rewatch Inland Empire later to wrap up my Lynch binge.

Yes. Rewatching Inland Empire. Pray for me.

T Dollarz

God, The Fate of the Furious was fucking horrible. I kind of had a feeling, but it was worse than I expected. Charlize Theron's character was written truly horrendously. The one bright spot was Jason Statham's character.

Finally finished with my F&F series rewatch over the past month. Overall, when it's good it ranges from solid to pretty great, but when it's bad it gets pretty damn terrible.

My ranks:

Fast Five
Fast & Furious 6
The Fast & the Furious
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
Furious 7
Fast & Furious
The Fate of the Furious
2 Fast 2 Furious

KayMote

The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)

Demonstrates once again the power of music!
For the very first 30 minutes I watched a version without any soundtrack at all and despite the captivating yet steady performance of Maria Falconetti I couldn't really get into the movie.
Then I watched it again, but now with organ pieces of Bach as my selected soundtrack and it elevated my watching experience into something sacral as it seemed to line up perfectly with the climactic editing, the echoing court drama and the flickering fight in Maria Falconettis haunting eyes!

The Handmaiden: Surprisingly well-written and put into a neat three-act structure. I'm rather surprised how open these people are about sex and sexuality, but I don't know much about Korean and Japanese cultures, so they might be the exception.

The Handmaiden: Surprisingly well-written and put into a neat three-act structure. I'm rather surprised how open these people are about sex and sexuality, but I don't know much about Korean and Japanese cultures, so they might be the exception.
China is the only country anal about nudity.

Ridley327

Becoming Bond: One part rousing tell-all and one part ultra-cheesy yet strangely earnest reenactment, the life story of the "one and done" Bond himself provides a lot of fun, shenanigans and even a bit of heartbreak, all well before Lazenby storms into the office for his audition. Those looking for this to be a kind of "fly on the wall" look at the filming of On Her Majesty's Secret Service will likely be tremendously disappointed, as that part of the documentary probably accounts for around 20 minutes of the briskly paced 95 minutes, and, as one can imagine in a chronological retelling, comes pretty much at the end. Before then is the story of Lazenby himself, from a young hell-raiser in Australia to going halfway around the world to England to chase down the woman he loves, only to go from used car salesman to in-demand male model in the process. As told by Lazenby himself, displaying a rather palpable charm as he relishes his recounting of all the crazy things that happened in his life, though not without some tearful detours along the way, it's a great profile of a complicated man told in a very uncomplicated way. Helping him out is how the filmmakers here decided to recreate those episodes of Lazenby's life, which come to life with all the realism of a TV soap opera, complete with wild overacting, bad outdoor compositing and an inspired list of guest stars (including, cheekily enough, former Bond girl Jane Seymour). Granted, this is definitely a much more R-rated kind of soap opera, but verisimilitude doesn't seem to be a chief concern here, especially with all the fourth-wall breaking the segments pull off to match Lazenby's own anecdotes. In theory, these bits should sink the film much further than they do, but they find just about the right pitch to maintain throughout that helps augment the unlikelihood of the real life tale, helping to elevate the material that it's working with through the sheer strength of its corny enthusiasm. It's definitely not an approach that can and should work for similar tell-all documentaries, but it fits this one like a glove. Lazenby himself doesn't seem to believe that he had it in him to be the next Connery, but the life-affirming and inspiring note that the film ends on with the long, strange trip he took to get there makes for a hell of a good argument that one doesn't need to be in order to come out ahead. Great entertainment with a great message!

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
I saw Baywatch this afternoon, my hope was for something the line of 21 Jump Street, but this just totally missed the mark.

Split

I absolutely hated the last quarter of this film, it was so fucking dumb. The very last scene (you know the one) kind of made it better... just.

Can't remember the last time a film has totally lost me so far in but
when he started climbing up the wall
I was like

jerry-done.gif

DemWalls

The Equalizer, Antoine Fuqua.

Decent. I've seen people comparing it to John Wick. Claiming it's better, even. I'm not as big a fan of that movie as many seem to be around here but, honestly, the two are not even in the same league.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Safety Last!: Everyone knows the clock scene, but it's part of of a larger scene where he's forced to climb an entire building by himself. There's more to this movie though, starting with the first scene where you think he's in jail about to be executed, but he's actually at a train station. The comedy comes from him trying to be an honest worker and provider for his girlfriend, but he winds up getting into a bunch of antics. It's a silent comedy worth checking out. In fact, you can check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-XZWZVVhvQ

That was fantastic! Thanks for the recommendation and link!

Split

I absolutely hated the last quarter of this film, it was so fucking dumb. The very last scene (you know the one) kind of made it better... just.

Can't remember the last time a film has totally lost me so far in but
when he started climbing up the wall
I was like

jerry-done.gif

I agree. I mean I liked the film, but that last part was................... meh

Watched The Straight Story for the first time since the early 2000s last night. I don't care if you love Lynch for his surreal/nightmarish qualities, people who don't have this in their top 5 Lynch are insane. Absolutely beautiful movie. I'll throw more superlatives at it in a proper post after I rewatch Inland Empire later to wrap up my Lynch binge.

Yes. Rewatching Inland Empire. Pray for me.

The Straight Story is awesome. It's against type for him, and he nailed it. The most Lynch-ian moment is when the tractor​ goes down the hill. The way he shoots it is hilariously intense.

The Straight Story is awesome. It's against type for him, and he nailed it. The most Lynch-ian moment is when the tractor​ goes down the hill. The way he shoots it is hilariously intense.

There are other scenes. Like when his daughter is thinking about her child and for some reason when his hat is blown off as well gives me the vibe. It's been a few years since I watched it though.

UrbanRats

A Letter to Momo (Hiroyuki Okiura, 2012) - A very cute story, with a heartwarming mood and comfy setting... but the real star here is the animation, some of the best 2d animation ever put on screen (the blend with 3d is pretty graceful, too) Okiura should be a much bigger name than he is, with a curriculum like that.

Equalizer or The Last Samurai?

man went on a big tangent in the john wick 2 thread about how much better equalizer was. it was pretty hilarious. everybody got so riled up.

I haven't seen Straight Story in years, I will have to get on that again as Lynch fever is in full effect right now. I'm sure I'll love it.

I've found something to like in all of his movies (even Inland Empire when I saw it once) apart from Dune

UrbanRats

man went on a big tangent in the john wick 2 thread about how much better equalizer was. it was pretty hilarious. everybody got so riled up.

I haven't seen Straight Story in years, I will have to get on that again as Lynch fever is in full effect right now. I'm sure I'll love it.

I've found something to like in all of his movies (even Inland Empire when I saw it once) apart from Dune
But theres plenty to like in Dune.
Costumes and sets alone make it worth the watch for me.

Baywatch is... a film that exists, that I'm kinda struggling to articulate my thoughts on. It's not very good. The plot is needlessly over explained yet underdeveloped. The wink wink 4th wall breaking to the audience doesn't really work here like it worked on the jump street films. The characters are also ludicrously underdeveloped or played as caricatures, and if The Rock wasn't a machine of charisma, then the whole thing would fall apart, and frankly its kinda brilliant casting to cast The Rock to play himself, or a version of the character he voiced in Moana. It also doesn't look great, not shot very well, and its all very down market humour. So I can see why people have taken against it.

Except I didn't, not really. Not much as I expected. It could have been way worse really. The Rock and Zac Efron do provide every single joke that isn't terrible and the rest falls so flat I was afraid it might splatter if it hit the ground (some guys dick getting stuck in the bench slats, really?) but it somehow wasn't completely horrible for me. The chemistry and bro competing between Brody (Efron) and Mitch (The Rock) is just funny enough. Just about.

It falls apart completely in the second half mind, when it decides to have an actual plot with its boring underdeveloped villain and there was really no hope of saving it. But its not completely awful horrible. It has attractive people in swimsuits performing lowest common denominator humour, and if they took The Rock out of it, it wouldn't work at all.

But theres plenty to like in Dune.
Costumes and sets alone make it worth the watch for me.

right. I just didn't want to sound like such a stan, but even that one I find worth in too.

i liked the soundtrack and strange pacing of the film. Its not a particularly good adaptation though, I think Villeneuve will manage to make a better go at it.

I still got a lot of Lynch left to watch. I've only seen Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks, and his shorts. But nu Twin Peaks has me jonsing for more.

I still got a lot of Lynch left to watch. I've only seen Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks, and his shorts. But nu Twin Peaks has me jonsing for more.

When you say "Twin Peaks" I hope you also mean FWWM. Cause it seems to be a big part of the new season, at least in the early going.

Top Bottom