• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| September 2017

TissueBox

I love the entire movie. Pure atmosphere.

The duality between the two characters is really great. Though it probably wouldn't be much of a kicker if it weren't for Mann's solid directorial style. His looks definitely come in premium fashion.

Flatliners (2017) - 3.7/10. I don't think anyone expected this to be any good, and despite the studio's insistence that this is a sequel to the 1990 cult classic, it is for all intents and purposes a flaccid reboot/remake.

Let's get the good out of the way first; the performances are decent, especially Ellen Page, and it does introduce a few new ideas to the mythology rather than literally straight-remaking the original. It did also surprise me with one third-act event that I didn't see coming at all.
Ellen Page randomly gets killed by one of her hallucinations at the end of act 2

That's pretty much it for the good. The characters don't behave realistically at all, the CGI-infused hallucinations are fucking atrocious, there are countless unintentionally comical moments, some really ill-placed intentional humour, and simply little reason for it to exist.

Kiefer Sutherland's cameo
as a grey-haired doctor
was more distractingly amusing than anything, but at least it did break up the monotony.

If they actually said that it's a flat out lie.

shaneo632

Our Souls at Night (2017) - 7.0/10. Props to any film that can make me actively root for 80-year-old people to bang. Granted it is two of the best-looking octogenarians on the planet, but still.

This is a nice, gentle movie with some real emotional depth and typically fine work from Robert Redford and Jane Fonda. It's not overly melodramatic or eventful but still provides some insights into love, life, death and ageing.

I have finally completed my journey through the F&F franchise.

The Fate of the Furious (6/10) - This is a tough one. Devoid of any context, I think this is a fun movie. But in the context of the first seven films in this franchise, it's borderline incoherent. Does this franchise even know what it's doing anymore?

Case in point:

When I was at work yesterday, two of my co-workers were talking about Baby Driver. One of them didn't know what it was, and was having it explained by the other. As I was walking out, I simply overheard "oh, the title made it sound like a Jason Statham action movie or something, where he has to drive a baby around and protect it from bad guys," to which I stopped and chimed in with, "yo, I would pay to see that movie." My co-workers affirmed that they, too, would pay to see such a movie. So then I went home and watched The Fate of the Furious and was fucking SCREAMING. That scene on the plane with Statham rescuing Baby Dom was incredible, and made all the more amusing by the outrageous coincidence.

...but Shaw killed Han. So WTF?

And that's the problem. How can this franchise do Han so fucking dirty like that? The ending of the movie left me baffled and even a little offended. Like, fuck no. This is a movie about family and THIS is what happens in Part 8? I dunno. I don't even know if I want to watch a ninth one at this point. It all just feels so tired and lost now, despite its insane budget and penchant for globetrotting superhero car antics to still provide plenty of superficial entertainment. It's not the worst Hollywood blockbuster I've seen this year, but watching it was like having to admit to myself that I no longer cared about a franchise I was literally just starting to fall in love with only months earlier.

It was one hell of a ride, though. We'll always have Tokyo Drift and Fast Five.

Stronger - It's an inspirational film to be sure, but it's actually quite good, well-done, and even emotional. Jake Gyllenhaal is terrific, but Tatiana Maslany is especially great, as her character has to go through a lot of grief. Hopefully her film career is a successful, because she's a superb actress. Great movie too, had me in tears at points. 8.5 / 10

And that's the problem. How can this franchise do Han so fucking dirty like that? The ending of the movie left me baffled and even a little offended. Like, fuck no. This is a movie about family and THIS is what happens in Part 8? I dunno. I don't even know if I want to watch a ninth one at this point. It all just feels so tired and lost now, despite its insane budget and penchant for globetrotting superhero car antics to still provide plenty of superficial entertainment. It's not the worst Hollywood blockbuster I've seen this year, but watching it was like having to admit to myself that I no longer cared about a franchise I was literally just starting to fall in love with only months earlier.

It was one hell of a ride, though. We'll always have Tokyo Drift and Fast Five.
The series lost so much of its core ensemble that all the claims of "family" just feels hollow now. Now it's just a vehicle to get as many action stars and big names into the mix. Like it makes no sense that Shaw would be treated like that by the group, but hey, now we get to have Jason Statham fighting alongside the Rock in the next movie. Yay?

Not to mention that the car action felt so weak in Fate. The Cuba race and prison brawl were more enjoyable and entertaining than any of the crazy car shenanigans.

And I can buy the crew becoming special agents for hire like in 7, and I can even buy them fighting and getting into shootouts. But like scrappy thriller-y shootouts and chases and brawls like in 5, 6, and 7. But in 8, they inexplicably become special forces gun-toting mercenaries, able to stealthily infiltrate and take on an entire military base in a firefight. The finale felt so out of place for the characters.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Ordinary People: 8/10. So that's what the Jets To Brazil song is about. I was always under the impression that this was a movie for squares, I guess because it "robbed" Raging Bull of Best Picture. It was actually a pretty touching portrait of mental illness and its effects on the family. An unexpectedly sympathetic Donald Sutherland (he'll always be the guy that wants to blow up the town in Outbreak ) and an ok Mary Tyler Moore. But Timothy Hutton was absolutely outstanding here, it's a real shame he basically went on to star in complete horseshit after this.

Timecrimes

Of all the time travel, time paradox, time loop movies I've seen, I think Timecrimes might be my favorite. It's grounded, and the way it presents its story makes the paradoxes and looping of its narrative easier to follow and grasp than other films that revolve around the concept.

In some ways, it's actually kind of terrifying in how we see just how disorienting being in a loop would be and how easily a loop could fall apart. There's nothing cool or romanticized about time travel in Timecrimes.

Primer may be more complicated as a time travel movie, but Timecrimes feels unique in how it doesn't sacrifice the complexity of the concept, while using the concept to create a taut twisty thriller

UrbanRats

Timecrimes

Of all the time travel, time paradox, time loop movies I've seen, I think Timecrimes might be my favorite. It's grounded, and the way it presents its story makes the paradoxes and looping of its narrative easier to follow and grasp than other films that revolve around the concept.

In some ways, it's actually kind of terrifying in how we see just how disorienting being in a loop would be and how easily a loop could fall apart. There's nothing cool or romanticized about time travel in Timecrimes.

Primer may be more complicated as a time travel movie, but Timecrimes feels unique in how it doesn't sacrifice the complexity of the concept, while using the concept to create a taut twisty thriller
I remember Time Crimes coming up a lot when Triangle came out, but (although i enjoyed both) i didn't find Time Crimes to be that much better.
Especially in the context of people complaining how the loop doesn't make sense for this or that reason.

TC is better shot though.

The one thing that never make sense about these movies, is that they can't handle agency well.
Of course a time loop movie is playing on the paradox disrupting cause and effect, but character agency remains intact, yet for some reason, these actors all play their part blindly, even knowing the eventual output.
Now if I was stuck in a time loop, i'd try to be as disruptive as possible, see where it goes.

Both Triangle and Time Crimes share this problem.

Primer is the only one that doesn't, just because the loop lines up with the characters' motivations (and also because i can't tell what the fuck is going on).

I, Daniel Blake is a well-made film whose political message I wholeheartedly endorse and often times was tough to watch. It does a good job showing the crushing bureaucracy of means-testing and the humiliation that comes with stigmatized welfare, as well as the cruelty of poverty.

But I guess I went in curious about how a 100 minute film would be a story about "the current welfare system is humiliating and cruel" and the answer is that it just sort of is "the current welfare system is humiliating and cruel" for 100 minutes. I'm glad I saw it, but it wasn't all that satisfying as a narrative for me. Disappointing coming off The Wind That Shakes the Barley for me, but I'll have to check out some other Loach films.

The one thing that never make sense about these movies, is that they can't handle agency well.
Of course a time loop movie is playing on the paradox disrupting cause and effect, but character agency remains intact, yet for some reason, these actors all play their part blindly, even knowing the eventual output.
Now if I was stuck in a time loop, i'd try to be as disruptive as possible, see where it goes.

Both Triangle and Time Crimes share this problem.

Primer is the only one that doesn't, just because the loop lines up with the characters' motivations (and also because i can't tell what the fuck is going on).
How is that a problem? If anything, I felt that part of what made Time Crimes seem so grounded and realistic; I imagine any person, realizing the situation they were in, would be desperate and terrified and want to do whatever they could to keep the loop in intact.

No one would be thinking about wanting to experiment and see what happens; maybe if it was a time loop like Edge of Tomorrow or Replay, but in Timecrimes? That doesn't make sense

UrbanRats

How is that a problem? If anything, I felt that part of what made Time Crimes seem so grounded and realistic; I imagine any person, realizing the situation they were in, would be desperate and terrified and want to do whatever they could to keep the loop in intact.

No one would be thinking about wanting to experiment and see what happens; maybe if it was a time loop like Edge of Tomorrow or Replay, but in Timecrimes? That doesn't make sense

Well because the loop as it is, has
so many negative effects for the character and those around him,
of course.
Been almost ten years since i watched Time Crimes, but i remember
things getting pretty bloody.

Divius

Could someone else do the movies you've seen October thread tomorrow? I'm busy tonight and will be gone for a few days, leaving first thing tomorrow.

Qvoth

Just finished watching the foreigner, Jackie Chan's new movie
Surprisingly decent and not just mindless action
7/10

shaneo632

Hellraiser: Hellworld (2005) - 2.4/10. At once the worst and most hilarious of the Hellraiser films (so far, anyway), Hellworld was released in 2005 but feels like the most late-90s/early 2000s film ever.

From the nu metal soundtrack to the Nokia phones and horrible video game-inspired premise, it's astounding to me that this only came out 12 years ago.

It's got a little added value in the way of Henry Cavill (lol), the gorgeous Katheryn Winnick and Lance Henriksen, and there are flashes of self-awareness throughout, but for the most part the atrocious dialogue and pronounced lack of Pinhead (he's in it for maybe 4-5 minutes total?) make this a total bust.

It's terrible in a relatively entertaining way at least, so I would totally recommend it for bad film aficionados.

shaneo632

Hellraiser: Revelations (2011) - 1.7/10. You really have to wonder how badly the last Hellraiser movie sold for this one to end up with just a $300,000 budget and quickly churned out shortly before the rights lapsed.

This was very nearly a 1/10 for me. The actors are clearly trying and there were a few not-terrible gore effects so it just about scraped a 2/10, but make no mistake, this is the worst of the Hellraiser movies, and an embarrassment to franchise filmmaking as a whole.

No Doug Bradley as Pinhead. Rancid production values. A 75 minute runtime. A totally uninteresting plot. Bad dialogue (though not a groan-worthy as Hellworld). It all adds up to make this the undeniable death knell for a series that...apparently has a tenth film on the way soon. Christ.

Monumentally shitty, and nowhere near as fun or inventive as even the worst films in the series. At least Tracey Fairaway is ridiculously attractive. That is all.

Aaaand I'm done with the Hellraiser movies. What franchise should I knock off next? Children of the Corn? Amityville? (I've done F13, Elm Street, Halloween, Child's Play)

lordxar

Far as I'm concerned the Hellraiser series stopped at 4. Those others are cheap knockoffs and definitely not worth time or effort.

Society Is it right to love this? I mean its out there, like fucking out there man. There isn't any ambiguity to this at all. From the start it tells you your getting into the deep end and then proceeds to go deeper until the final crescendo that is disgusting and hilarious at the same time. If you go, go in blind.

A Dark Song The premise of a woman seeking to talk to her dead child through some long drawn out ritual is great on paper and was executed pretty convincingly. Towards the end it got a bit cheap on effects but the story was wrapped up well enough. What I wanted though was a batshit crazy ending that didn't quite get there. (See above, it did get there)

Diabolique Looking at Letterboxd ratings this is supposed to be amazing but I think it felt a lot like an old Perry Mason episode where the killer/motives are setup and we are waiting for Perry to solve the crime.

UrbanRats

Folks, let this be my last post for the month:
Being on a diet, while living over a restaurant, is bollocks.
--
Also, i'm gonna try to watch Bondarčuk's War and Peace, next week.
It being 8 hours, i'll split it in parts, like a good considerate boy.

Boogs31

I, Daniel Blake is a well-made film whose political message I wholeheartedly endorse and often times was tough to watch. It does a good job showing the crushing bureaucracy of means-testing and the humiliation that comes with stigmatized welfare, as well as the cruelty of poverty.

But I guess I went in curious about how a 100 minute film would be a story about "the current welfare system is humiliating and cruel" and the answer is that it just sort of is "the current welfare system is humiliating and cruel" for 100 minutes. I'm glad I saw it, but it wasn't all that satisfying as a narrative for me. Disappointing coming off The Wind That Shakes the Barley for me, but I'll have to check out some other Loach films.

The movie works as a character study as well right? I get that the plot is a consistent message throughout, but for me it worked on multiple levels.

Boss X

Banned
American Made 2017 - Good edition to the Tom Cruise catalog.
I enjoyed the scene where he kicked out the fat guy because he would weigh down the plane, all his wives "bitch" looks, and when his buddy fell asleep while driving the plane.
7/10

Speed 1994 - Neogaf's recommendation. Enjoyed it through and through, it's on TV often so hopefully I catch it next time for a second watch because it's that good.
9/10

Risible

Blade Runner (Final Cut)
For all the talk of it being a slow burn film and being "boring", Blade Runner moved faster than I was expected, and the slower parts and dialogue were never dull. It helps that the plot is so small and intimate, practically a Deckard slice-of-life. Just dropping you into the story of Deckard and the replicants keeps the pacing moving at a solid pace right from the opening.

I'm with. I went to a recent showing of the 4K restoration and was amazed at how quickly the movie moved. I remembered it as being a slow burn but it seemed pretty fast-paced during my re-watch.

Still looks amazing.

Society Is it right to love this? I mean its out there, like fucking out there man. There isn't any ambiguity to this at all. From the start it tells you your getting into the deep end and then proceeds to go deeper until the final crescendo that is disgusting and hilarious at the same time. If you go, go in blind.
Yes because it's amazing.

Icolin

Banned
Man, these Blade Runner 2049 reviews. Lord.

Just got tickets to see it in IMAX next Sunday. Cannot wait to see it and see how everyone in here feels about the movie.

my local theatre is doing a double feature for blade runner on wednesday

I might just see the OG and watch 2049 on Thursday tho idk if I can sit in a theatre for nearly 5 hours

I wish I had my movie pass card so I could plan this out better

cromofo

Need a recommendation.

Horror/sci-fi or any of the two would be nice.

Less overly famous actors the better.(looking at you Life and Passengers)

Society is secretly one of the best movies of the 80s.

It is such a joy to show this to new viewers and watch them as they get to the bottom of this.

Posting during movies is disgusting, terrible, etc. etc. but the Seven Samurai intermission is currently playing and god damn I should have watched this sooner.

Need a recommendation.

Horror/sci-fi or any of the two would be nice.

Less overly famous actors the better.(looking at you Life and Passengers)

Outland

Edit - one more September movie.

Gerald's Game (2017) - pretty solid thriller based on a Stephen King novel. Carla Gugino is great in this, and damn Bruce Greenwood makes me feel like I ought to get off my ass and get to the gym. The last 10 minutes has some "why?" in it, which is normal for King, but I thought this was a decent way to pass 100 minutes.

3.5 / 5

Top Bottom