• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The Day After Tomorrow

Was alright I guess. Remember it being quite impressive when it released in terms of special effects.
It's interesting to see how conistantly and progressivly Emmerich's movie went from dumb but entertaining to plain out retarded over the years. It's just sad.

Hollywood blockbusters really peaked in the 90s and early 00s. Good mix of entertainment and bombast without being too dumb. With a few exceptions like Nolan and Villeneuve it seems the filmmakers have totally given up on the people brains by now.

Saw Top Gun: Maverick and Elvis in theaters the last two weeks. Enjoyed both for different reasons.
Elvis (B) - It was definitely a spectacle of a movie but what else would we expect from that particular Director. Won’t be surprised if Tom Hanks and the guy who played Elvis get Oscar nominations. Elvis was no angel but the manipulation by those around him really drive the film.
Top Gun: Maverick (A-) - Was the movie that made me return to the theater after a 3 year hiatus. The action/stunt scenes were top notch and I enjoyed the story more than the original. This will be the movie an older Tom Cruise can hang his hat on! Rises above most other action films he’s done in almost 15 years.

Billbofet

Elvis: kids were begging me to take them. I love Elvis, but don't normally enjoy musicals or bio pics. Ended up loving it. It ain't perfect, but there are at least five scenes that blew me away and I was choked up at the end. Austin Butler is incredible.

Saw Top Gun: Maverick and Elvis in theaters the last two weeks. Enjoyed both for different reasons.
Elvis (B) - It was definitely a spectacle of a movie but what else would we expect from that particular Director. Won’t be surprised if Tom Hanks and the guy who played Elvis get Oscar nominations. Elvis was no angel but the manipulation by those around him really drive the film.
Top Gun: Maverick (A-) - Was the movie that made me return to the theater after a 3 year hiatus. The action/stunt scenes were top notch and I enjoyed the story more than the original. This will be the movie an older Tom Cruise can hang his hat on! Rises above most other action films he’s done in almost 15 years.
Seeing Tom Hanks as a villain was a refreshing and surprising thing to see. He did a great job. Never knew Tom Hanks had it in him to play such a scummy character lol. Hope he wins an Oscar

Quasicat

I’ve seen a couple of new things, but I randomly started looking around Disney+ and found Teen Beach Movie. Normally, this would not be my thing, but I gave it ten minutes and I was hooked. Seriously, I had a smile on my face the whole time.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Watched Men from Alex Garland.

Men_GreenSteps-e1654631771517.jpg

Really liked Ex Machina, somewhat liked Annihilation (it's just a weaker Stalker), but this continues the downward spiral. The first half hour is pretty interesting, but then the movie gets stuck in its own ideas (which really get hammered in) and just fizzles, until the ugly, annoying and nonsensical finale that almost borders on self parody.

Also, because I am finishing a list of high grossing box office movies I never seen, I watched... Big Momma's House.

R.d8bbc4f4667d0b28c96dedb218569da5

Holy fuck this thing has really no redeeming features. Bad script, bad acting, bad jokes, bad cinematography, lame music. How did this ever make so much money that they even did a sequel (which is said to be even worse?) Even at 90 minutes this felt like a lifetime, had to take a break halfway to smoke more weed to try and make it more tolerable (didn't work).

Kssio_Aug

Yesterday I watched Lightyear with my kid and wife. We all loved it! I really can't understand the amount of hate against it... Definitely not the best from Pixar, but still pretty good imo. I'd give it an 8/10.

Planning to watch Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and Minions 2 next

Bragr

Banned
Rewatched the first Dr. Strange for the sequel, it has...... not aged well. 6 out of 10.

Finally saw La Dolce Vita, its fascinating and hard to get a grip off, very long, some scenes are completely outdated, but the strange narrative structure keeps it relevant. 8 out of 10.

The Searchers has been a movie I have considering watching for a long time, and it lived up to all the hype. It really does have some of the all-time best cinematography, some of the best shots I have ever seen, Wayne in top form and brilliant story telling. 10 out of 10.

Fuz

Banned
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

The Coen Brothers are among the last directors to still be doing Cinema.
Movie pissed me off toh. Which is actually a testament of good cinematography.

Fbh

Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. 6/10.
It was fun but nothing special. Was honestly expecting them to do more with the Multiverse concept but much of the movie focuses on one specific alternate universe. The visuals were a bit uneven too, some of it looked great, some of it looked a bit wonky. At least I was surprised they went ahead and just straight up turned Wanda into a villain. Was nice after how weird it felt when they tried to show her in a sympathetic light at the end of Wandavision.

Dr. Strange - Nope, I felt the madness set in 20mins into this one. It really just sort of bounced around everywhere for me and felt more like the Scarlet Witch movie than Dr Strange. Too much "magic happens" then "magic doesn't happen" when the plot or writing needs it. Overall did not enjoy - 4.5/10.

Peanut Butter Falcon - Watched with the family and we all loved it. Wonderful performances and pacing was solid. A well packaged story with a heart and grit. The comparisons to Huck Finn are apt. Love Shia in these roles - 8.5/10

Booked to see Top Gun in IMAX with my son and a friend of his. Hoping for great cinematography and a decent popcorn flick to boot. Let's go Cruise missile.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member

How does cinematography piss you off? The framing was askew? They used the wrong lenses?

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Re watched 3 films all with a similar theme over the past few days.

The Martian
Interstellar
Gravity

Gravity sucked huh?

Man, last movie in watched was The Batman. Like weeks ago...Waiting for The Northmen to hit Prime or whatever.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
So to make sure I'm following: the movie pissed you off, but the cinematography was so good that you stuck around?

Edit: Fuz Fuz , sorry, didn't hit reply on your comment

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
So to make sure I'm following: the movie pissed you off, but the cinematography was so good that you stuck around?
I really don't understand what's not clear to you and why you're circling around me on the matter.
Good cinematography is supposed to stir up emotions.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I really don't understand what's not clear to you and why you're circling around me on the matter.
Good cinematography is supposed to stir up emotions.
Tbh, I'm still confused and think we may be using different definitions of cinematography. I'll drop it, though, since my intention wasn't to bug you-- past my first response, at least

I got told Midsommar was pretentious and it's one of my favorite horror films in decades. Will keep my Hope's up!
Midsommer is in Top Ten Horror for me. I hated his previous film Hereditary though. Just watch a movie/show and make your own opinion, and not base your enjoyment on other people's opinions or rottentomatoes

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I LOVED Gravity such a well made movie

Not being sarcastic

As for Hereditary, it just thought the movie was predictable. I'm a huge fan of Occult stuff too.

My favorite horror film of all time is Rosemary's Baby

Yup. That and The Shining.

And I loved the Witch.

Sure well made in some aspects. Entertaining if you posses a lot and I mean a lot of disbelief...

Predictably doesn't matter to much to me if the movie is good

Last edited:
Yup. That and The Shining.

Sure well made in some aspects. Entertaining if you posses a lot and I mean a lot of disbelief...

Predictably doesn't matter to much to me if the movie is good
Same here with the predictable part but it has to be written well for me to enjoy it than

As for The Shining, I hated that movie too. I agree with Stephen Kings assessment of the movie.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Same here with the predictable part but it has to be written well for me to enjoy it than

As for The Shining, I hated that movie too. I agree with Stephen Kings assessment of the movie.

Man there's so much trash that I didn't care. Regarding Hereditary.

I loved it but truth be told; haven't read King's criticism yet

Man there's so much trash that I didn't care. Regarding Hereditary.

I loved it but truth be told; haven't read King's criticism yet

You should

I read the book first and than watched the film

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Rewatched Don't Look Up. It's such a fantastic and hilarious satire of how a certain segment of the population absolutely ignores the dangers of readily available facts while being totally immersed in pointless pop-culture and social media. The lampooning of careless politicians and bizarro big tech CEO's are biting. The jokes land every other minute.

I also found its depiction of scientists, grad students, and doctoral candidates mildly-earnest despite the fact it's a comedic satire. They didn't have to go that extra mile, but it was appreciated.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Managed to cram in another: Boiling Point (2021)

724225-boiling-point-0-460-0-690-crop.jpg

Shot in "one-take" in the fashion of Birdman, it's an interesting and largely accurate depiction of a head chef and restaurateur. The acting is top notch across the board and story engaging when it is focused on (the highly underrated IMO) Stephen Graham's lead.

It passes by in a flash. There is plenty of foreshadowing to the gut-wrenching ending, but the filler material throughout is rather forgettable.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

the part that actually has buster in it is amazing. i can't remember much of the rest of it.

that cool water song is forever stuck in my head

and this scene is fucking hilarious

Last edited:

Peggies

Gold Member
Loved it

Hot Latina chick that cucked her unwilling boyfriend deserved to die. Glad she got conquences for her actions. If this was any other current movie she would have survived because a women can do no wrong
Oh god yeah, that poor boy, crying under the shower. Broke my heart :messenger_pensive:. It would have been a nice new angle if none of the girls had survived. I really liked the producer. He was fun and died way too soon.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I decided to finally have my second watch of Pig (2021)

561763-pig-0-460-0-690-crop.jpg

I had not seen it since the very first night it was available to stream. It didn't have the same impact as it did on first viewing (for obvious reasons if you've seen it), but still one of the best. Inspired me to write my first little mini review of a movie in ages (SPOILERS):

An intimate, at many times intense, and ultimately reflective examination of a heartbroken hermit who in his past believed that the heights of professional success could bring one joy - even make one whole - only to discover that pleasing others superficially rather than chasing one's own true passion is a pyrrhic victory in the end.

Pig is nuanced and layered overall, but also blunt and forward when needed. It addresses the hazards of choosing ambition over the things that truly tethers a person to others and the people one loves.

It may be my favorite performance from Nic Cage. After watching so many of his banal factory films it was refreshing to see him return to a role that afforded him use of his full arsenal of abilities in ways we haven't truly seen - in my opinion - since Adaptation.

Reactions: Fbh

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
HgP4kL6.jpg

horrible, honestly. the basketball player is terrible casting and has 0 charisma. hard to believe it was produced by Adam sandler and lebron James because it feels like it was made by someone who doesn't know anything about basketball and then recut by movie execs into the hot mess final product that it was.

Konnor

I decided to finally have my second watch of Pig (2021)

561763-pig-0-460-0-690-crop.jpg

I had not seen it since the very first night it was available to stream. It didn't have the same impact as it did on first viewing (for obvious reasons if you've seen it), but still one of the best. Inspired me to write my first little mini review of a movie in ages (SPOILERS):

That scene at the pretentious restaurant might be one of the best scenes in modern cinema. The movie isn't a masterpiece or anything (still great) but that particular scene is absolutely spectacular.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
That was actually really good. Had a vile Sex scene in it though.

uJzZ5pu.jpg
Watched this one tonight. Better than I thought it'd be. Didn't necessarily "like" most of the film crew, but they were fleshed out enough that I didn't want to see them go--which makes for better horror imo.

Also, Brittany Snow is 🔥. Wish she had more roles.

I hear they're making a prequel film to this one about the farmer's wife, which is supposed to be out later this year. Could be interesting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom