• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thor love and thunder:

4/5

I liked everything about it, besides the somewhat lackbusting enemy and lackbusting ending. However the theme they went for was straight up my allay i can see why people dislike it more tho.
"Lackbusting". That's a new term to me.

Funny you though the villain and ending were lackbusting. I thought those were the two best parts. Christian Bale was properly menacing and the ending wrapped things up completely unexpectedly--and very bittersweetly, in my opinion.

Kenpachii

"Lackbusting". That's a new term to me.

Funny you though the villain and ending were lackbusting. I thought those were the two best parts. Christian Bale was properly menacing and the ending wrapped things up completely unexpectedly--and very bittersweetly, in my opinion.

It's solid tho, i found the female thor more appealing with her backstory. But that's just the phase i sit in so yea.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
yesterday I watched

The Ledge (2022) - (n)
Wild Mountain Thyme - (y)
Girl Interrupted -(y)

movies I plan on watching next:

The Gray Man
Windfall (edit: watched!) - (y)
Princess Mononoke
The King
Curse of the Witching Tree
The Witch Part 2: The Other One
The Last Duel
Everything Everywhere All at Once
The Wailing
Malignant
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
Blue Velvet
Mulholland Drive (Remastered 2021)

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
yesterday I watched

The Ledge (2022) - (n)
Wild Mountain Thyme - (y)
Girl Interrupted -(y)

movies I plan on watching next:

The Gray Man
Windfall
Princess Mononoke
The King
Curse of the Witching Tree
The Witch Part 2: The Other One
The Last Duel
The Wailing
Malignant
Blue Velvet
Mulholland Drive (Remastered 2021)
Uhh… I see one of the greatest movies ever made in there.

For all the peasants that can‘t guess…

Princess Mononoke

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Uhh… I see one of the greatest movies ever made in there.

For all the peasants that can‘t guess…

Princess Mononoke
I've never seen any Studio Ghibli movies until quite recently. So far I've watched Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, and My Neighbor Totoro.

Kiki was my favourite followed by Totoro and Spirited Away.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I've never seen any Studio Ghibli movies until quite recently. So far I've watched Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, and My Neighbor Totoro.

Kiki was my favourite followed by Totoro and Spirited Away.
I on the other hand am not a Ghibli fan at all normally (not because there are any bad movies, it’s just not my thing), but Mononoke… it’s a masterpiece.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
7. Finding Forrester (2001)

One of the few Gus Van Sant movies I had not yet seen, and it was not that good. Very saccharine and commercial, not really his style. It felt like a worse Good Will Hunting.

Screen+Shot+2020-11-05+at+4.08.57+PM.png

8. The Gray Man (2022)

Pretty awful movie, especially the inane plot and the ridiculous performance of that idiot Chris Evans made it a hard watch. Netflix never fails to disappoint with their movies created by algorithms or whatever they do to pump out shit consistently.

chris-evans-jessica-henwick-the-gray-man-1658144430.jpg

9. High Life (2018)

Indie sci-fi from Claire Denis with some interesting ideas but mediocre execution. Didn't really like it, but still could say it's worth a watch. I thought Patterson was pretty good here.

MV5BNGIxZDg2MmEtNmRhMi00N2UxLTlmNmMtNjM4NzdhNDBmZDNjXkEyXkFqcGdeQW1yb3NzZXI@._V1_.jpg

7. Finding Forrester (2001)

One of the few Gus Van Sant movies I had not yet seen, and it was not that good. Very saccharine and commercial, not really his style. It felt like a worse Good Will Hunting.

Screen+Shot+2020-11-05+at+4.08.57+PM.png

8. The Gray Man (2022)

Pretty awful movie, especially the inane plot and the ridiculous performance of that idiot Chris Evans made it a hard watch. Netflix never fails to disappoint with their movies created by algorithms or whatever they do to pump out shit consistently.

chris-evans-jessica-henwick-the-gray-man-1658144430.jpg

9. High Life (2018)

Indie sci-fi from Claire Denis with some interesting ideas but mediocre execution. Didn't really like it, but still could say it's worth a watch. I thought Patterson was pretty good here.

MV5BNGIxZDg2MmEtNmRhMi00N2UxLTlmNmMtNjM4NzdhNDBmZDNjXkEyXkFqcGdeQW1yb3NzZXI@._V1_.jpg
Why is Chris Evans a idiot?

kurisu_1974

Moving on :)

11. Inherit the Wind (1960)

Amazing court drama based on a true story, about a teacher getting in trouble for teaching evolution theory. Only the second Stanley Kramer movie I've seen and I loved both (the other being Guess Who's Coming to Dinner). Weird how it still felt relevant these days, with the obvious regression of modern society.

113313563-48472f9a-661e-460e-934e-f25956b23218.jpg

12. Just Mercy (2019)

Another courtroom drama, also based on a true story. It felt a tad vanilla and I'm not sure about the performances, but the story is good and maybe it's for thj better that they didn't add thrills or frills.

Film-Just-Mercy.jpg

13. Kikujiro (1999)

Never been disappointed by a Takeshi Kitano film and this one has been on my watchlist a long time. Pretty good, a tad sentimental and I usually like his yakuza stuff better.

7cbe0009f9fdee5ee2a5ff9706d66d48e6cbb21c.png

Last edited:
Red Dragon: B
Hannibal: B
Hannibal Rising: B

Good gory flicks. Silence of the Lambs is still the best out of 4 movies

lBYJm6w.jpg
cmGFJ16.jpg
zmXpiBB.jpg

The Gift: A

This ended up surprising me. I really liked the twist at the end

J8HPyn7.jpg

Flowers In The Attic: B

Enjoyable TV movie. Had some weird incest tones throughout though

IlFhr3E.jpg

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I watched Midway for the 2nd time tonight and...I know I'm not supposed to say this...I like this way better than Top Gun Maverick.

The acting was pretty bad, at least with the American actors (Japanese actors were great), and the amount of CGI, often bad, was insane. But the movie was loaded with scenes like this and...I love scenes like this.

GeekyDad

71O5tRLd3fL._SL1000_.jpg

They've had these up on Prime for a bit, and decided to revisit it. It's been probably over a decade since I've revisited it last. Not aging so gracefully for me. I've been a huge Tolkien fan since my childhood, so I was lined up on release night for each film when they released, and got the beautiful book-sleeved extended edition DVDs (after already buying the initial DVD releases) each time they released -- still on our bookshelves.

At the time -- and still now -- I really appreciated that the stories weren't turned into anything more than what Tolkien originally wrote. With the exception of a few presentation changes, they were everything I wanted from a movie translation of the books. But, oh dear Lord, did they overdo it with the silliness ("Legolas, what do your elf eyes see?" :D ). Even back when they originally released, I was irritated by the silly nonsense between Gimli and Legolas; that stink has only ripened over the years. But the over-dramatized silliness is pretty cringy today. And of course, the amazing film trickery that impressed the balls off of all of us back then, now sticks out like a sore thumb. That being said, the films still have a certain purity to them, and I'm still quite moved at moments throughout.

As an aside, and truly, I just don't know how else to express this: though I don't feel like there was any racism intentionally involved, the films feel very...white. Perhaps that was Tolkien's fault. Too long ago to remember. Haven't read any of his books in decades.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
watched Malignant and The King today. enjoyed both (y)(y)

my netflix is done now. movies i've rented/bought to watch:

The Wailing
The Witch 2
The Last Duel

Might have time for 2 tomorrow. I just started Twin Peaks tv series so will be watching that too! Affter them i need to get:

Mulholland Drive (rewatch)
Blue Velvet
Princess Mononoke

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

Really falling behind on these mini reviews, but I made it to the letter Z in the meantime.

14. Lightyear (2022)

It was entertaining enough, don't really get the hate as I liked it more than some previous Pixar movies. Loved the little cat! Art was great too, and the story was more sci-fi than I expected.

original.jpg

15. Maelström (2000)

An early Dennis Villeneuve film, after this he took a long break and then came back with a bunch of amazing movies. This one is very rough and uneven, but his trademark style still seeps through and if you like weird shit you shouldn't pass this up. I mean there's a fish providing narration in Canadian French, what more do we need?

MV5BMzVlNThhMGUtYzVjOS00ZTYyLWE1MWMtMjUyZjFlNjRjMGM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTc5MDI5NjE@._V1_.jpg

16. The Nightingale (2018)

Somewhat of a surprise as I felt this movie is relatively unknown, but holy shit this was a grim movie and an excellent revenge story, set in Australian penal colonies. Recommended.

bwsANtJNaA5xDmxPp6z2JqEtfCI.jpg

17. Only the Brave (2017)

Almost more of a war movie, this was a great retelling of a true story surrounding wildfires and the people that are fighting them. Entertaining stuff with cool actors (Brolin, Teller, Bridges).

only-the-brave1.jpg

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Marry Me

A rom-com with Jennifer Lopez and Owen Wilson. It was as shit as you could imagine. Paid £1.49 to rent it from Amazon because my wife really wanted to watch it. We both felt ripped off.

It was just sooooo average, even by rom-com standards. And what the fuck happened to Owen Wilson? His face looks fucked up.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
put on Everything Everywhere All at Once.

totally not what i was expecting lol. so whacky and funny but lost interest toward the end.

GreenAlien

j3vWi7s6WqX66BU6O3wsjSZ4sIT.jpg

It's like a modern take on "From Beijing with Love". Terrible dub, reminded me of the Squid Game one.. There is one part where Mila is supposed to be speaking English with a chinese translator doing the translation and in the dub version both are speaking English making it seem like a bad comedy bit..
I think imdb's 3.9 rating is too low, since I managed to finish the movie, but not by a lot.

Jaybe

iu

It started pretty silly which made me fear it was another pickle like Thor L&T, but it kept picking up speed (like a bullet train :messenger_poop:) and I ended up thoroughly enjoying myself.

EVERYONE NEEDS TO GO AND WATCH AND SUPPORT BULLET TRAIN AT THE CINEMAS. I'VE SEEN IT TWICE AND LOOOOVE IT!!!

I finally caught Bullet Train in theatre today. A pretty fun campy assassins on a train story. Enjoyed it. Liked Pitt trying to apply his therapist’s teachings. Couple cameos I didn’t expect. I’d recommend. It ain’t going to be a best picture nom but I was entertained.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Pluto TV has been playing the Friday the 13th films out of order all morning. I took in part 6, then part 2.

6: This was basically a campy, comedic slasher. And not in any particularly good ways.

2: Shockingly poor acting and direction, even for a low budget slasher from the early 80's. The story does get kind of wild, for its time at least, in the final act.

I wouldn't recommend either, even if out of curiosity. There's far better slasher films from the 80's to spend one's time watching.

kurisu_1974

Almost done!

18. Petite maman (2021)

Very nice surprise, thought this was going to be overly sentimental and it starred children, but this was a rather beautiful film about the past, the present, and the relations with our parents that warmed my cold cynical heart.

1614782925969_0620x0435_2x0x1001x702_1614790816243.jpg

19. Queen of the Desert (2015)

I'm usually a big fan of Werner Herzog, but this is a weirdly commercial and mainstream film that I'm not sure why he made it. The story is interesting, though, about a lady that travels freely around the desert visting Berber tribes and even meets Lawrence of Arabia.

queen-of-desert-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg

20. Rosie (1998)

Finally found this on a local streaming service, one of two or three Belgian award winning movies that I hadn't seen, and which was filmed not that far from where I live, so it was very cool to see how gray and desolate that part of my city looked in the late 90s. The movie itself was OK, social drama about a semi-neglected little girl ,with some magical-realistic elements which I'm never a big fan of, and it felt very low budget, but it had heart.

2.-Rosie-1200x662.jpeg

kurisu_1974

21. Spy Game (2001)

An OK spy drama with the trademark hyperkinetic direction of Tony Scott and carried by excellent performances from Redford and Pitt, nothing really stands out tho and to be honest I've already forgotten most of it.

spy-game.jpeg

22. Truth (2015)

Redford c-c-c-combo with this entertaining newsroom drama based on a true story. Some movie of the week vibes but it was interesting and Cate Blanchett was very good in this.

818f4654ed39a1c147d1e51a00ffb4cb-1443607079.jpg

23. The Unknown Girl (2018)

I cheated a bit as this film is actually called La fille inconnue but it was on my Plex under the English title. I really like early movies of the brothers Dardenne, when they were straight and raw social dramas filmed with a handheld camera. Since a couple of years they are trying to add some elements of crime movies or policiers and I don't think that really adds much, quite the opposite.

VP6455SNO4SDY23R7UMFTSOEQQ.jpg

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Coal Miners Daughter (1981) - This is a great film about the life of Loretta Lynn the first lady of country music. She go married at 13 :messenger_grimmacing_ and had a baby by 14. It was different in the 60s in Kentucky. She had around 4 kids when she started her music career.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Banned
Lightyear's poor reviews are deserved. It is the most boring Pixar movie made. The first 30 minutes was fun but it drops off hard after that. I did enjoy the space vibe but I had no interest in the characters or Buzz's mission. For me, Pixar's image is getting me emotional in the final act and I just wanted the movie to be over. The writing had a lot to be desired.

Lady Jane

Banned
I thought Luca, Soul, Onward, Coco, ... were much worse. Turning Red was fun tho.

I thought Coco and Soul were decent enough. I have a soft spot for Onward because I have a big sister and there were moments in that film that hit me hard. Haven't seen Luca or Turning Red. It's hard to keep up with all the Pixar films lately.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

I thought Coco and Soul were decent enough. I have a soft spot for Onward because I have a big sister and there were moments in that film that hit me hard. Haven't seen Luca or Turning Red. It's hard to keep up with all the Pixar films lately.

Very true. They used to be rare gems, but now we're seeing diminishing returns.

It's called SeriesGuide. It's great. I have tv show lists and have it sorted by air date so I can watch them in the order they aired on tv. It connects to a few different outside sources as well such as trakt and IMDB.
Can you make a group watchlist? Like a collaborative one? I have been waiting for something like that for like a decade now.

Election: F

Dark comedy, but found that most of the jokes didn't hit for me. Not to mention that really stupid ending.

0AI8bBm.jpg

Delivery Man: C

Had a interesting premise but I felt the script could have been better and not to mention the jokes didn't land for me. It was more of a drama than comedy which is fine with me. I just wished the film was better. The last part I really enjoyed though

EX77XIo.jpg

A Cure For Wellness: A-

Big Gore Verbinski fan. This movie is a Gothic horror. I love all of his films even the ones that have alot of faults.

DMDScs2.jpg

As Above So Below: A

Another great horror flick. It's shot like Paranormal Activity. Has one of my favorite depictions of Hell

HruAL44.jpg

Maniac: A

Remake of a old horror film. Starring Elijah Wood as a Serial Killer who stalks women, kills them and scalps them. All from the perspective of first person view of the serial killer himself. I ended up loving this one.
cgl5Rk7.jpg

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

24. Vampire in Brooklyn (1995)

Yes I was warned and yes people were correct. This movie sucks and we'll never know what Wes Craven was thinking. Not funny enough to be a comedy, not scary or tense so it can hardly pass as a thriller, let alone horror movie.

n2pyb_tnl_1920x1080.jpg

25. Where Is Kyra? (2017)

This low budget indie drama is certainly something different for Michelle Pfeiffer, but it wasn't very good. It is never clear why she is struggling or unable to get / hold a job, yet if you want to see a movie where even a public bank at 11am looks like it is midnight and none of the lighting works, I can recommended this wholeheartedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom