• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moving from PS4 to PS4 Pro - what is the process?

Black Hat

I would assume many of us are going to either be trading-in or selling our existing PS4 to friends.

I have a few questions that I couldn't get a grasp of simply by reading through guides online.

1) Are we able to transfer data between different consoles (i.e. the existing PS4 and PS4 Pro) using a USB hard drive backup? I know you can do this via LAN now with the new data transfer feature, but that won't be possible if trading in the PS4 beforehand.

2) Do we have to de-activate the PS4 as the primary console prior to trade in? I have heard conflicting reports that this can only be done on the actual console.

EDIT: Different transfer processes described. Thanks univbee!

I just did a whole ton of different processes in anticipating for this. Did this from a launch PS4 to a newer PS4, P.T. was preserved. Here's the rundown:

If you will have access to your old PS4 and the PS4 Pro at the same time, and don't need to migrate the old drive to the new unit (approximate time under best circumstances: 1 hour per 150ish gigs to transfer once it gets underway, so ideally do it overnight):

- Connect both PS4's to the same, ideally wired, internal network. Gigabit equipment is recommended.
- Set your video equipment so the PS4 Pro (or target PS4 for the transfer) is what's displayed on screen. You don't need to see anything screen-wise on the old PS4 (source PS4).
- Power both units on, so they're not in rest mode (on the login screen so the white light bar).
- On the PS4 Pro (target PS4) go into settings and go transfer.
- It will ask you to press the power button on the source PS4 until it beeps. Do so, this will trigger the transfer options.
- You will have the option to deselect specific things from the transfer, which may be required if your target PS4 doesn't have sufficient storage (e.g. your old PS4 has a 2tb and your new PS4 doesn't). You can select/deselect apps to your heart's content.
- You will be asked if you want to transfer the activation(s). If your source PS4 has multiple accounts flagged as the primary PS4, you will have to sign into each account you want to transfer (you can also skip transferring primary account status on a per-account basis). Note that doing it this way does NOT count against you for the 6-month timer, that's only if you mass-deactivate via the web store.
- Once the transfer is done you should be all good to go on the target PS4, with the source PS4 still having everything it originally did (other than primary PS4 status if you selected that). You may have to re-enter passwords for PSN sign-in but that's it, everything else including sign-in 4-button codes, all accounts, their saves, and whatever you had installed will be there. So will folders, although any folders which end up empty from the transfer are gone, but that's easy to re-setup and recreate if needed.

If you will be offloading your old PS4 prior to having your PS4 Pro (e.g. trade-in deal), or migrating your old drive to the new unit (approximate time: backup is 1 hour per 150ish gigs, and then repeat that for the restore), a USB storage device (USB 3.0 ideally) with sufficient storage and formatted as exFAT is required.

- Connect the USB 3.0 storage device to your old PS4.
- Use the backup option in settings to create a backup on the USB drive, should mostly be self-explanatory. I think you can selectively backup apps, but I forgot to check admittedly.
- Once it's done (note: be careful with this backup, you might even want to do another on another drive if you have the equipment and time, just in case) I'd recommend initializing the source PS4, which will also de-activate all accounts (this does NOT have a 6-month cooldown, that's just for deactivating via the website). Depending on your connectivity, you may want to do a trophy sync for any accounts, as that doesn't otherwise carry over.

- Now this is when you pull your drive out of the old model if applicable. Once you replace the hard drive in your old unit with a different drive or the drive it shipped with, it'll have to be restored using a USB storage device with the latest FULL firmware in the PS4\UPDATE folder. It's important to get the full firmware and not the partial one. On Sony's site it's the one intended for new drives, and should be over 800 megs.

- Get your new PS4 Pro or whatever, hookup your USB 3.0 storage device there. If you're upgrading its drive, do so before powering it on, and install the stock firmware from the USB storage device (see previous step for details)
- Go through its initial setup, skip everything until you get to the dashboard, and then select "restore" from the settings. Once it's done it'll restart; all accounts will be signed out and deactivated but it should otherwise 100% match your prior install. Re-sign into your accounts, set the console as primary, and you're good to go.

Fliesen

There are already people with ample experience of how to switch from one PS4 to a replacement PS4, so i believe it won't be long until step by step guides are posted.
What i do think everyone should be doing would be holding on to their PS4 until their (Pro) actually arrives.

Hjod

Banned
1) Yes
2) You can deactivate all consoles on your Sony Network account (every 6 months only)

It's 12 months if you live in Sweden, just a heads up.

You can download all your digital games again via PSN or just use an ethernet cable to transfer your games.

And if you're selling your PS4, don't forget to return it to factory settings.

Anarion07

There are already people with ample experience of how to switch from one PS4 to a replacement PS4, so i believe it won't be long until step by step guides are posted.
What i do think everyone should be doing would be holding on to their PS4 until their (Pro) actually arrives.

He specifically mentioned trade in. No holding on there

1. Yeah, just make sure your external drive is formatted to FAT32 or exFAT. The PS4 won't recognise NTFS because that's a proprietary Microsoft file system.

2. On your PS4 go to Settings -> PlayStation Network/Account Management -> Activate as Your Primary PS4 -> Deactivate.

Doing it through the website is a waste of time (and a deactivation) if you've still got your PS4 on hand.

panty

I have a slightly different question.

I tried to download InFamous yesterday when it got the HDR patch. I have 2 accounts, my normal EU account and an US account. I checked both accounts, libraries and everything and I couldn't find my InFamous anywhere. I was certain I had it digitally but I checked my physical games as well.

After all this I went to the store and searched the game and finally found the "download" button. Why do I have to go to the store and search for the game and only then I can download it? The game is nowhere to be seen on my game library on both accounts.

But you can do it anytime on console right ?

Yes, if you have the hardware you can deactivate at any time, if you have the MAC address/and receipt I also believe Sony support would deactivate for you. Else you can deactivate ALL machines in one swoop via the site.

I have a slightly different question.

I tried to download InFamous yesterday when it got the HDR patch. I have 2 accounts, my normal EU account and an US account. I checked both accounts, libraries and everything and I couldn't find my InFamous anywhere. I was certain I had it digitally but I checked my physical games as well.

After all this I went to the store and searched the game and finally found the "download" button. Why do I have to go to the store and search for the game and only then I can download it? The game is nowhere to be seen on my game library on both accounts.

The layout of the library is slightly different now with "Games" being those you have downloaded but I believe Library being all purchased games available to download, failing that I've no idea and maybe you need to do a rebuild of databases?

Impulsor

If changing HDD for the Ps4 Pro - Go here: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/

Download the full update for clean install at the vottom and follow instructions.

1. Deactivate your current PS4.
2. Copy firmware to USB in the format explained in the link.
3. Swap PS4 PRO HDDs.
4. Turn On PS4 PRO with the USB stick with the Firmware for the clean install pressing the pwoer button for 7 seconds to start up in safe mode.
5. Select Initialize PS4

anceus

Neo Member
Heads up if you Format your HDD or USB Stick an a Mac, be sure to select Master Boot Record, before formatting FAT32 or exFat

1) Yes
2) You can deactivate all consoles on your Sony Network account (every 6 months only)

I wondered about this, someone hacked my account and I had to set my home console back to mine again, since this only works every 6 months how could I get a pro and activate it as my main console now, isn't it now impossible?

When sony changed mine back they explicitly said they wouldnt do it again, regardless of the circumstances.

black070

ps4bin.jpg

Anarion07

Would be a nice move on Sonys part to implement a way to update your current HDD (replaced factory HDD with 1 tb) to the pro firmware so I could just put it from my old one to the pro.
Guess that's not happening

A2theFake

Neo Member

From personal experience I thing you cannot stress this point enough.

Even though you can reset/deactivate accounts via the website every 6 months, forgetting doing it manually on the 'old' console may really bite you in the butt in the future.

Spanky

Neo Member
With mine I just simply made sure all the game saves had uploaded to the cloud (had done automatically with PS+) and then initialised the system from the settings menu - part of that process deactivates the system - or you can deactivate it from the Account Management menu.

I sent mine to ShopTo (UK) and they gave me £145 for it, I know I could have got more, but it seemed a quick and easy method, and it was, my account was credited the day after they received it - so all ready for Pro.

void666

Banned
I'll keep both consoles because i'm a hoarder. It'd be nice to smoothly transfer all my games. Bf1 and destiny are too big to download all over again.

Jashobeam

I upgraded the PS4 HD for a 2TB HD a while ago and it was a pain having to redownload everything and retrieving all the save data from the psn. Not looking forward to repeating the same process once I get the Pro.

geordiemp

I upgraded the PS4 HD for a 2TB HD a while ago and it was a pain having to redownload everything and retrieving all the save data from the psn. Not looking forward to repeating the same process once I get the Pro.

Same, but we got 2 Ps4 with 2 TB spinpoints....

Is it viable to just redownload through your account on pro. Intend to give the original ps4 to siblings so they can have my account as master while I settle as a secondary account on the pro. Would rather just download the handful of games that I see myself coming back to.

Is it viable to just redownload through your account on pro. Intend to give the original ps4 to siblings so they can have my account as master while I settle as a secondary account on the pro. Would rather just download the handful of games that I see myself coming back to.
It's a PS4.

Just login. There's your library.

PaulLFC

Maybe a silly question - if I want to back the "old" PS4 up to external HDD for transfer to the Pro, should I deactivate the old console as primary before backing it up, or back up and then deactivate? Or does it not matter?

I'm sure i saw somewhere you can copy everything directly from one to the other using an Ethernet cable ?
2 ps4s

If they are both hooked to the router WIRED, that's all you need.

If they are both hooked to the router WIRELESSLY, you will need a cable between the 2 ps4s.

The ps4 you are transferring FROM needs to be logged into PSN.

bombshell

2) Do we have to de-activate the PS4 as the primary console prior to trade in? I have heard conflicting reports that this can only be done on the actual console.

Thanks!

Yes. I don't see what's the problem here, just use the deactivate as primary system option in the console settings before you trade it in.

Do not use the deactivate all devices function on the website, that one is for emergencies and one-time only every 6 months.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I would assume many of us are going to either be trading-in or selling our existing PS4 to friends.

I have a few questions that I couldn't get a grasp of simply by reading through guides online.

1) Are we able to transfer data between different consoles (i.e. the existing PS4 and PS4 Pro) using a USB hard drive backup? I know you can do this via LAN now with the new data transfer feature, but that won't be possible if trading in the PS4 beforehand.

Thanks!
Just use the PS4 migration feature that was added in 4.0 between your Pro <> OG PS4, it takes care of all data and migrates primary accounts over to new console and so forth. It's super simple these days.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
My plan:

1. Copy everything on my 2TB HDD to my 4TB External HDD
  2. Swap the HDD's from the PS4 to the PS4 Pro
  3. Restore my old content to my new PS4 Pro
  4. Reset my old PS4 back to factory settings
  5. Trade in my old PS4 to my local GameStop for €200 store credit, which I'll use to pick up some PSN credit.

You don't have to that. You can back up everything on your PS4 to an external hard drive and then restore your data to your new PS4. No need to re-download anything.

Memnoch

I'm keeping my ps4 for the kids and I will be using the pro. Do I need to deactivate as primary the og ps4 and activate the pro as primary ?

chippy13

I'm keeping my ps4 for the kids and I will be using the pro. Do I need to deactivate as primary the og ps4 and activate the pro as primary ?

If you want your kids to be able to play any of your downloaded games on your original PS4 you will have to keep it as your primary and your pro as secondary.

PadPoet

505 Games Ltd
Swapping HDDs will not work guys. What you need to do is this:

1) Make sure you have the same firmware version on both the PS4 and your PS4 Pro
2) Copy data from PS4 to PS4 Pro via LAN cable.
3) Check if everything copied correctly.
4) Deactivate account from vanilla PS4
5) Activate account on the PS4 Pro

:)

Bramble

Am I just thinking to simple?

I already moved my OG PS4 downstairs. I'll just install the Pro upstairs in my gaming room, download/install the games I want on it, download my cloudsaves and sync my trophies.

chippy13

Am I just thinking to simple?

I already moved my OG PS4 downstairs. I'll just install the Pro upstairs in my gaming room, download/install the games I want on it, download my cloudsaves and sync my trophies.

No reason that shouldn't work.

You don't need to, but you can do. Do the kids use your account to play games or do they have their own? If they have their own then the machine they are using needs to be the primary to allow them to then use their own accounts. If that's not the case then Primary the pro as that's where remote downloads and remote play will target.

Top Bottom