• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot season_3.0 |OT| Alexa, What Are the Berenstein Bears? - Wednesdays on USA

hydruxo

Yo anyone feel like Darlene is bugged? When Darlene and Elliot were both at the redwheelbarrow place, Darlene was being more than explicit on the information she wanted from Elliot.

And that made me think she's turned to Dom and is giving info to her.

Absolutely. She was shook last season when they showed her he wall of accomplices and she was still shook this episode. She was asking way more questions than she normally would have. She's definitely helping the FBI.

CRS

Pls keep changing the OT title every other day or after every episode, mods. I like that. I got confused for a second there.
Didn't notice until you mentioned it. Lmao. Should switch between the names every episode even though I liked the Stein version a bit more.

Speaking of the title, I was thinking about making it, "Meanwhile in a parallel universe." but TheKeyPit reminded me of Operation Berenstain.

ezekial45

Banned
GREAT premiere. I'm glad this show is back.

BTW, what was the song called when Angela was talking with Mr. Robot at the end?

Absolutely. She was shook last season when they showed her he wall of accomplices and she was still shook this episode. She was asking way more questions than she normally would have. She's definitely helping the FBI.

I mean, she called them for help and there was an FBI detail following them.

Permanently A

nOFLIZL.jpg

Devilish

Vic_Viper

Feel like I need to rewatch that last like 20 minutes lol. I have no idea what was going on, although I was super tired when watching it already. It sounds like theres some sort of time travel mechanism at play or atleast alluded too. I didnt think this show was going to be that crazy lol

Permanently A

Feel like I need to rewatch that last like 20 minutes lol. I have no idea what was going on, although I was super tired when watching it already. It sounds like theres some sort of time travel mechanism at play or atleast alluded too. I didnt think this show was going to be that crazy lol

At this point I'm sure the time travel stuff was just a red herring, but the alternate dimension stuff might be on the table?

I really hope the alternate reality stuff is not a fakeout. I want to see what they can do. They haven't really gone wrong yet. I'm also very impressed with how they pivoted to match the post-Trump world. Elliott wanted to take down Ecorp and give power back to the people, but all that happened was the system proved too big to fail and the people too meek and terrible to do anything. It's bleak but it's honest imo.

Pryce

Fucking great premier.

A television show finally played "Touch" from Daft Punk. I was so fucking happy when that came on. Best song on RAM.

I would feel kind of hurt if it was time travel or alternate reality. It seems... dumb for a show of this caliber. Like, at the end Elliot and Angela walk off into a portal to hug their parents. Seems a bit... much.

Farooq

Banned
I would feel kind of hurt if it was time travel or alternate reality. It seems... dumb for a show of this caliber. Like, at the end Elliot and Angela walk off into a portal to hug their parents. Seems a bit... much.

What if the "alternate reality" is just another manifestation of Elliot's psychosis?

Maffis

Damn great start on the season. So much going on.

But I kinda felt lost on a small thing. Is there a reason why they want to convince Elliot stage 2 is over? And how did Angela do that. I feel like I missed something big somewhere. Is it the scene with the new guy on the BBQ-house where Elliot said he didn't want to do it and he just accepted it like nothing? Feels like I missed something and it's gnawing on me.

CRS

But I kinda felt lost on a small thing. Is there a reason why they want to convince Elliot stage 2 is over? And how did Angela do that. I feel like I missed something big somewhere. Is it the scene with the new guy on the BBQ-house where Elliot said he didn't want to do it and he just accepted it like nothing? Feels like I missed something and it's gnawing on me.
They're all aware of Elliot's dual personality and that the Mr Robot persona is the one that runs things. Tyrell came to this conclusion in the S2 finale. I assume Angela and Irving were made aware of this fact from whiterose. So they just let Elliot believe he's still in control so he doesn't do anything drastic.

My biggest question is why Mr Robot isn't aware of what happens when Elliot is the conscious one. What changed?

It's not that they want to convince Elliot that stage 2 is over. Elliot closed the backdoor, so they can't use the exploit to try and detonate the ECorp building via maliciously attacking the UPSes. The problem now is Mr. Robot (he had no idea Elliot managed to close it in the first place) and Angela have to find a way to open either the same backdoor or find another one in ECorp's network. Plus Irving did issue a threat in that they'll allow Elliot to stop but sooner or later, he's going to cave to their demands of going forth with Stage 2.

Additionally, Irving, Tyrell and whiterose's assistant are starting to see how unstable Elliot's mental state actually is. So they have no idea if he actually wants to execute Stage 2 or not. That's why Irving was skeptical towards Angela when they see Elliot acting as Mr. Robot.

They're all aware of Elliot's dual personality and that the Mr Robot persona is the one that runs things. Tyrell came to this conclusion in the S2 finale. I assume Angela and Irving were made aware of this fact from whiterose. So they just let Elliot believe he's still in control so he doesn't do anything drastic.

My biggest question is why Mr Robot isn't aware of what happens when Elliot is the conscious one. What changed?

Whiterose doesn't know anything about Elliot's mental state (or at least there's no indication to believe that she knows). She was dumbfounded when Xun asked her about Elliot asking what stage 2 was via the phone hack that recorded their conversation. She responded that it was his (Elliot's) idea to begin with. The only person who really knows is Angela given their history and they fact that she was the one who saw Elliot dissociate. Tyrell still is shaken up and confused by wtf happened.

As for Mr. Robot's lack of awareness, it starts in season 2 when both characters start to break off and dissociate when they never intended to. I couldn't tell you why but one of my theories is that Elliot and Mr. Robot are starting to blend in.

ShadyK54

All I could gather is that the gunshot messed them up somehow (which I think they touch on). It’s not like Mr. Robot needs to be there with Eliot now anyways, Angela’s there to keep him up to date.

Irving does not know that he has a split personality. In fact in the wheelbarrow scene or the one right after he remarks that Elliot didn't recognize him and why was that. So I'm sure he sees he's unstable but doesn't know about his split

Really looking forward to the rest of the season. I can't wait to see Elliot working for E-Corp. Glad Canavalle is on this season after Vinyl got canned.

CRS

Irving does not know that he has a split personality. In fact in the wheelbarrow scene or the one right after he remarks that Elliot didn't recognize him and why was that. So I'm sure he sees he's unstable but doesn't know about his split
Oh you're right, Irving mentions that when Angela speaks to him in the tunnel.

Pryce

Question for you guys. It is just me or is USA network television quality very poor?

It looked at best 1080i. Much worse than the streaming quality on Amazon.

CRS

Question for you guys. It is just me or is USA network television quality very poor?

This episode specifically had some blockiness to it. I think it was when Angela first spoke to Mr. Robot in the dark? A few other people in the thread have commented about it too.

DirtyLarry

I absolutely noticed it too. Looked like ass on my end as it usually does. It is why I own the BluRay of every season so far.

OT, great opening episode. Felt more like Season 01, but I also truly enjoyed Season 02. Just Season 01 was unbelievable in every sense.

charpunk

I would be totally fine if this isn’t a fake out and the show takes a “realistic” sci-fi turn.

What I’m saying is I want primer the tv show.

Zoe

I would be totally fine if this isn’t a fake out and the show takes a “realistic” sci-fi turn.

What I’m saying is I want primer the tv show.

In case you're not already watching it, 12 Monkeys turned into a pretty good time travel show.

Magwik

Banned
Didn't the opening conversation seem to sort of infer that Mr Robot could be an alternate reality version of Elliot?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm wondering if the technology that Whiterose is developing isn't something similar to what William Gibson explored in his 2014 novel, The Peripheral. IIRC, quantum computing advances allows some mysterious firm, presumed to be Chinese, to create a server system that can spawn 'stubs', basically copies of the universe that instantly fork off from our own past at whichever point the owner initially connects to the stub. The owner can then continue to interject themselves into that world to cultivate changes and whatnot, and there are methods for allowing people from the stubs to the present reality through a form of telepresence. It was kind of a unique spin that merges alternate realities, virtual realities, simulations, etc.

Goddamm that was a great opener.

I watched it on Amazon and also noticed a few blocky scenes. I just figured it was my stream crapping out but obviously not if others had it too.

Is Trump actually going to be president in this universe or was that just tongue in cheek?

He does know a lot about the cyber after all.

Zoe

Is Trump actually going to be president in this universe or was that just tongue in cheek?

Elliot was imagining the future consequences of his actions.

Joke's on him, Trump became the president without the hack!

Johndoey

Banned
It kind of was good to have a scene of Elliot fully reflecting on the failure of his plan. He's intelligent and powerful but also so naive.

Not

Banned
I guess cable broadcasters are finally coming to terms with the fact that you can't shelter kid's ears anymore in the age of Youtube

It kind of was good to have a scene of Elliot fully reflecting on the failure of his plan. He's intelligent and powerful but also so naive.

Whats more interesting is Mr. Robot is also not very aware of what's going on: either he's an anarchist, or is unrealistic about his idea of a "revolution."

The path Angela started taking earlier on in the series interested me, but then I started getting slightly annoyed and confused by her character, but then when I realized that her long pauses are exactly like Elliot's but without us getting the inner monologue, I started being intrigued again.

What if she has her own Mr Robot? Maybe it's her other self that wants to manipulate Elliot, but her "real" self doesn't.

I don't actually expect her to have her own Mr Robot, but the thought of it still made me interested in her more.

Assuming Angela is the one and only personality, I don't completely buy that she's entirely against Elliot and on Mr Robot's & Whiterose's side.

Only a week has passed since season 2 where Obama is still president and John Boehner was speaker of the house. Although they're never really clear about when this is set so who knows.

HariKari

The path Angela started taking earlier on in the series interested me, but then I started getting slightly annoyed and confused by her character, but then when I realized that her long pauses are exactly like Elliot's but without us getting the inner monologue, I started being intrigued again.

What if she has her own Mr Robot? Maybe it's her other self that wants to manipulate Elliot, but her "real" self doesn't.

I don't actually expect her to have her own Mr Robot, but the thought of it still made me interested in her more.

Assuming Angela is the one and only personality, I don't completely buy that she's entirely against Elliot and on Mr Robot's & Whiterose's side.

Angela is 'special' the same way Elliot is, whatever that means on this show. They just haven't shown as much of it, and what they have shown isn't super clear. Whiterose talks about them both in the beginning of the episode.

Top Bottom