• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS announces Age of Empires Online and Microsoft Flight [Up 3: More New Invites Out]

trinest

Teknopathetic said:
"Why is it down? I want to sign up for the beta."

It's been down for me as well. I managed to get in after trying awhile and finishing the beta signup, but immediately after that I couldn't connect to the site anymore.
I can get in if I don't use www in the url.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
The only MS franchises I care about are back <3 <3 <3. What about a new Mechwarrior, MS?

Signed up for the beta, it looks pretty neat. Still have found memories of turtling up against friends in marathon AoE 2 games.

This is such a strange turn of events though.

Nessus

Cautiously optimistic...

Probably put more hours into AOE2 than any other game save Brood Wars. We still play it every once in a while.

Age of Empires still alive is great, but I think I'm the only one in here who doesn't like the storybook artstyle. That artstyle is great in some games, but I don't know if it fits AoE.

demolitio

Weird, I was just playing FSX the other day thinking a new FS should be announced soon since they really didn't build off of FSX too much with expansions. FSX was a let down to due to some of the problems I was having.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Timan said:
For those worrying if this is like farmville,

This is JUST like age of empires ii

Fans of the series will not be disappointed at all. You have a "main hub world" where there are quests etc.

watch me bleed this rock:

so, by that "main hub world" you mean, that is to the extent the online aspect is utilized. are there still going to be set, balanced matches with opponents, starting from scratch each time, or is it going to be more of a mmo oriented maintain-a-thon?

Fable III and now this... MS cares about PC gaming again or what ?

I'd rather have new games like this than 360 ports anyway. Or the 360 would be pointless.

Daigoro

looks very cool. love the art style.

i signed up. (so thats what Connect is! took me long enough to figure that one out.)

trinest

derFeef said:
Wait, people are already accepted? *waits for E-Mail*
Project S sign ups have been around for ages- the page says they have a heavy load so it might take awhile for people from today to get invites.

Timan

Developer
ghst said:
watch me bleed this rock:

so, by that "main hub world" you mean, that is to the extent the online aspect is utilized. are there still going to be set, balanced matches with opponents, starting from scratch each time, or is it going to be more of a mmo oriented maintain-a-thon?

Well to do quests (I guess sp like) also to advance your civ. You basically have to level up to get every single bit of tech. You start off from scratch.

As it currently is in the beta, you have to put quite a bit of hours into the game before you can unlock multiplayer. Well worth it though, this game is a blast. I just hope they bring back recorded games.

Sibylus

Banned
Don't know what to think of this. Might check out the beta, hmm.

Altazor said:
Oh, and regarding my previous comment on the music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zomU75zcv10 THIS SONG. I know most people like the redbook audio soundtrack more than the MIDI one, but I gotta say that MIDI song is my favourite off both soundtracks. It practically DEFINES my childhood. So fucking epic. And the melody that starts around 1:20... amazing.

so yeah, I like AoE's soundtrack. In case you haven't noticed yet :p
Gah, you picked out my favourite track out of AoE1. So many memories.

xbhaskarx

I was hoping the next AoE game would be like a combination of the other three, going from the ancient world through the middle ages and into colonial times, with some almost Civilization-like elements.

But this is cool, too. I just signed up for the beta.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
AoE looks fucking beautiful but, are those 2D images? Those buildings don't look 3D (the trees especially look repeated, along with the bushes). Will be disappointed if they are not 3D.

Enosh

ymmv said:
Is Microsoft suffering from a bipolar disorder?

MS in 2009: We hate PC games. Let's close Ensemble Studios and ACES Game Studio and stop development of all 360 to PC ports. Sorry, no Fable II on PC.

MS in 2010: PC gaming? Love it. Let's have another Age of Empires and Flight Simulator game. Yay for Fable III on PC!
executive at the end of 2009 "um guys, why are missing X amount of money that we usualy get from the PC?"

"The only MS franchises I care about are back <3 <3 <3. What about a new Mechwarrior, MS?"

There is a new Mechwarrior in development. Where have you been? There was a big reveal thread and trailer for it.

Pinzer

Unconfirmed Member
Altazor said:
as long as the music lives up to the rest of the franchise (AoE I's soundtrack, in particular, is one of my favourites), it's all good :p:

This. Age of Empires has had incredible music! I listen to the AoE2 soundtrack all the time, Stephen Rippy ftw!

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Timan said:
Well to do quests (I guess sp like) also to advance your civ. You basically have to level up to get every single bit of tech. You start off from scratch.

As it currently is in the beta, you have to put quite a bit of hours into the game before you can unlock multiplayer. Well worth it though, this game is a blast. I just hope they bring back recorded games.

so you kind of play through a single player/co-op campaign (quests) to unlock units/tech, then at a certain point you can play competitive multiplayer - which plays out like a regular aoe match?

once you start playing these matches, can you continue unlocking tech, doesn't this lead to massive imbalance with some players having unlocked more tech than others?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Teknopathetic said:
"The only MS franchises I care about are back <3 <3 <3. What about a new Mechwarrior, MS?"

There is a new Mechwarrior in development. Where have you been? There was a big reveal thread and trailer for it.

That reboot has the distinct air of vapourware about it, especially after Harmony Gold slapped them with a lawsuit.

Vic

Teknopathetic said:

Hell yeah, just saw that a reboot was announced last year on wikipedia. I wasn't on GAF around that time so I missed the info.

Sean

Banned
SuperAwesome said:
accepted...already?

also, you should remove the image as it's against the NDA.

Who gives a shit, it's just a main menu screen. Not like the game is a secret anymore...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Free to play on GFWL (haters gonna hate) AoE? Maybe want.

owlbeak

Just me, or is anyone else disappointed by the graphics posted in the screens for this? I really liked the art style/direction they were headed with AoE3. Seems to me like they caved to comic book/cell shaded, goofy-ass art. Does not appeal to me at all. Bah. I'd rather have an Empire: Total War MMO than AoE at this point. I'll keep playing AoE:II until they make a sequel worth the Age of Empires name.

DogWelder

qFoWV.jpg

G07R5.jpg

ouaVx.jpg

8wJ2X.jpg

noJ0t.jpg

NQ8nI.jpg

NbDgN.jpg

So good.

Rad-

I totally called this when Ensemble got teared apart.
Fuck yeah?
Publishing third party games is cheaper than having to manage a first party team.

Just me, or is anyone else disappointed by the graphics posted in the screens for this? I really liked the art style/direction they were headed with AoE3. Seems to me like they caved to comic book/cell shaded, goofy-ass art. Does not appeal to me at all.

I think that looks way more beautiful than any previous AoE. I really dig it.

VALIS

Okay, wow. As a raging Age of Empires fanboy I would have bought almost anything with the name on it out of loyalty, but this looks amazing regardless.

Luma

Neo Member
Horsebite said:
Just me, or is anyone else disappointed by the graphics posted in the screens for this? I really liked the art style/direction they were headed with AoE3. Seems to me like they caved to comic book/cell shaded, goofy-ass art. Does not appeal to me at all. Bah. I'd rather have an Empire: Total War MMO than AoE at this point. I'll keep playing AoE:II until they make a sequel worth the Age of Empires name.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the style either. Looks good, but I would have much preferred a look more similar to the other games in the series.

That said, I'm still super excited for this.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The cartoony graphics lets them keep the system requirements down, which I imagine is a priority for a game like this.

I'm liking that it's a persistent world.

I've always hoped that civ would do something similar where a series of players each own a township, players form up to take over other area's and develop into regions, then into counties then into global powers etc...

I do get the feeling that the game is going to be vary farmville esque...

soco

the flight trailer and really just the idea of it sounds pretty atrocious.

i'm betting it's not even remotely related to FS. :\

it's like shadowrun all over again. could be the best game in the world, but it's not what everyone wants.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, that's me signed up for the AOE Online beta.

I must admit I looked at those screenshots and thought "That's a bit...wrong" but I'm warming to the art style. As long as the gameplay is classic AOE, I'll be happy.

Oh and Microsoft Flight? Well, That'll probably make the hardcore Flight Sim crowd very angry, while hopefully appealing to people (like me) who have always been a little scared by the depth of the series.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
How do you guys already know what to expect of MS Flight? Am I missing something here? The trailer is pretty abstract.

Woow.. I love the art style!!

EDIT: wait! .. online meaning that its like .. constantly online? the trailer says "your empire is alive 24/7" or something like that!

how would that work?

As an Ensemble fan, having visited their studios and having worked on their fansites, this is awesome awesome awesome news.

Can't wait. Give me BETA NOW!!!

Vic

When I saw the OP, I disliked the artstyle for a good 5 minutes. It's gone now :D

Top Bottom