• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS banning users over Halo 4 DLC debacle

Twinduct

∀ Narayan;45508905 said:
That would piss me off beyond belief. I called Microsoft Support earlier in the year and had them remove my credit card info.

Double check it. I was charged for 2 months even after requesting my CC details be removed and confirming it via the xbox website. Hell I even got the 'Your subscription to Xbox live will end' email before I got charged for another 2 months (btw this was charged on a monthly basis for 2 months)

i-Lo

First of all, from what I understand from Admins, [Wrongful bans] are really rare. If it’s not a legitimate DLC, Microsoft has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.

I can't help but think of republicans' definition of rape. I think it's fitting here because it's the rape of clients' accounts and/or cosoles not MS.

DocStar

Neo Member
Fuck Microsoft and 343i for screwing over their loyal fanbase.
I hope they will ride a train to hell next generation*

*a shame that this is not going to happen

I was really looking forward to their next E3 and the unveiling of their next-gen-hardware.
But with all those things AND ESPECIALLY FOR NOT GREENLIGHTING LOST ODYSSEY 2, I won't be buying anything of them ever again.**

** doesn't belong here :/

Orca

If a STORE puts a game out, and SELLS it without a prior warning then it's not the consumers fault he bought the game, wether he or she is aware that Microsoft might ban your ass, the consumer is not in the wrong here.

Regardless of what side you're on, that's not what happened.

epmode

I guess you can't please everyone. smh. Accept my apologies if you felt offended and let's move on.

Not good enough. All offensive posts must be deleted. The last thing we want is someone to get annoyed while reading GAF. This is the internet, for god's sake. Let's show some class!

TheOddOne

I find the joke appropriate in this context. It is good.
Cool, I guess? I find it poor and pretty much goes into the drive-by mentality that usually ruins threads like this. It all boggles down to systems wars and everybody loses sight the problem at hand.

Orca

It's pretty much what happened.

The store didn't put it out early, he talked the guy into selling it early. He never said how - if it was a friend, if he was a longtime customer, or if he just works at the store himself - but the store clearly didn't put the game out early for general sale. He knew he was getting it early, even taking a picture of it before he'd ever played it, much less been banned.

ironcreed

Banned
So, basically:

Here is some free DLC

Whoops, we lied. Sorry about that.

Oh, you are trying to play it? Banned

Thanks for buying Halo 4.

Trollface.jpg

Z_Y

The store didn't put it out early, he talked the guy into selling it early. He never said how - if it was a friend, if he was a longtime customer, or if he just works at the store himself - but the store clearly didn't put the game out early for general sale. He knew he was getting it early, even taking a picture of it before he'd ever played it, much less been banned.

Yet...it is still a retail copy of the game manufactured by MS. Not a pirated copy they claimed to have banned him for.

Nothing else matters. Nothing.

Nothing.

i-Lo

Btw, can I play Spartan Ops safely atm?

Not good enough. All offensive posts must be deleted. The last thing we want is someone to get annoyed while reading GAF. This is the internet, for god's sake. Let's show some class!

Cool, I guess? I find it poor and pretty much goes into the drive-by mentality that usually ruins threads like this. It all boggles down to systems wars and everybody loses sight the problem at hand.

sarcasmdetectormpenw.jpg

Perkel

Banned

Who cares about that. It is his friend or shop-clerk which was at fail here not him.
Also this doesn't even matter he bought the game. Didn't steal it, didn't pirate bought it.

There is absolutely no reason for ban.

While the situation has been poorly handled, I’m more disgusted by the fact that people think this is the norm. The drive-by antics are the worst, they don’t care for the users effected and plug away like a marketing firm. Truly disgusting.

MS should fucking man up for their mistake for fuck sake.
Agreed.

Orca

Who cares about that. It is his friend or shop-clerk which was at fail here not him.
Also this doesn't even matter he bought the game. Didn't steal it, didn't pirate bought it.

There is absolutely no reason for ban.

Yet...it is still a retail copy of the game manufactured by MS. Not a pirated copy they claimed to have banned him for.

Nothing else matters. Nothing.

Nothing.

I never said it was right for him to be banned. Just get the story straight. He's not some Halo-loving fan who walked into a Best Buy, saw it on shelf, and said "Holy cow that's out already, I'm out of the loop!"

Not that any of this has a thing to do with this thread, so let's let it go back to the DLC discussion.

MYeager

So, basically:

Here is some free DLC

Whoops, we lied. Sorry about that.

Oh, you are trying to play it? Banned

Thanks for buying Halo 4.

Trollface.jpg

Not quite. The discussion has been derailed a bit by MS hate and about a different user who was banned. Right now it appears people are getting banned, both those who downloaded the Crimson Map Pack for free and those who purchased it by other means (the Map Pass). From the Waypoint forums it appears that it happens more often after split screen custom games while playing on the new maps, though that is unclear it seems like the common denominator among the stories on the Waypoint forums.

They have an auto-ban system in place that checks for things, like boosting via playing custom games in split screen, so it's unclear if this is a result of that system screwing up with the new maps or what. The issue is certainly more complex than saying they're trolling and the other discussions kind of detract from figuring out what exactly is triggering these bans. If people are getting banned for playing split-screen on the new maps, that's messed up, I play split screen with my wife all the time, and while I haven't been banned, the idea that it could occur from just playing with her is disturbing.

I really hope 343i clearifies the situation soon.

Respawn

Banned

The more I hear of what he did the more of a douche I think he is. Then he post his tears on GAF hoping he can use the community to help him out. Disgusting.

My view even after that he should still be unbanned. No matter what, it is a legitimate copy of the game.

LosDaddie

Banned
Disgusting, if true.

I gave my friend my Specialization email code because I bought the LE, and he said he DLed the Crimson pack last week. I'll update this thread when I find out if he's banned, or not.

netBuff

The more I hear of what he did the more of a douche I think he is. Then he post his tears on GAF hoping he can use the community to help him out. Disgusting.

My view even after that he should still be unbanned. No matter what, it is a legitimate copy of the game.

If that constitutes "being a douche" in your world, you must encounter extremely nice people only.

I'm sure the store was very happy to sell an extra copy, let's not claim anyone but him (by MS) was actually wronged here.

How is that being a "douche"? Asking your mom and pop store to sell you halo early is being a douche? He admitted to purchasing early, the money still went to MS and it's not like he somehow screwed up their launch, they sure as hell did that without him.

jimi_dini

Here - some free DLC
Whoops, we lied. You all got banned.
What? You are trying to argue that the DLC was legit? So do you have a valid receipt?
Noone? Ban is 100% correct. Automated systems never fail.

Thanks for buying Halo 4 + Live Gold. Please buy another Xbox now.

Perfect troll.

willow ve

343 just updated their "official ban thread" over at Waypoint with the following

There was a situation yesterday (Sunday) in which less than 200 Halo 4 users were being incorrectly banned from accessing certain parts of the game (not banned from Xbox LIVE as a whole), and we have since resolved the issue. All players accounts impacted are working as normal.

Cool, let's all jump to conclusions.
You people need to chill out.
It was never confirmed that Microsoft is banning people for the reasons you perceive.
This happened over the weekend where most of the staff who handle such things as banning were out of the office.
It very well could be some weird glitch in the auto-ban system that is behind all of this.

Stop the console-bashing, it's disgusting and doesn't belong here. It feels like N4G around here...

harSon

Banned
People getting randomly banned for no reason is nothing?

No, the problem was automatically assuming the bans were maliciously intentional, and raising hell with that inclination, when there was little in the way of concrete details regarding the issue.

Top Bottom