• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: Best Premium Gaming Experience will come from a Dedicated Machine under your TV

CyberPanda

Banned
A broader philosophical question - some people see cloud gaming as the death of console, or the start of it. Is it that extreme?

Kareem Choudhry: It's not that extreme at all! I've been building consoles for 15 years - we're not getting out of the console business, we spoke about it in our xCloud videos. We love our consoles, we love that business, and we're super proud to have the most powerful console out on the market place today and that leadership position we hope to retain going forward. And I also believe your best premium experience is going to be dedicated hardware running under your TV in your living room. It's an 'and' conversation, not an 'or' conversation. Everyone loves to jump to the death of consoles, and I think it makes a great headline, but we don't think that way at all.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-03-19-microsofts-cloud-gains-substance

xStoyax

Banned
Microsoft also said they wouldn't get out of the Windows Phone business.......
Why is it news that they're saying they're not done with consoles? Do people really expect them to say we're done with consoles as they're about to try to sell you one last time to buy one of their consoles?

McHuj

Yes I agree with them. It’s an and not an or.

They can really take the lead if the market the Xbox as the premium device and the cloud as the low entry point.

epicnemesis

After a brief pause he added “yet”

It’s unfortunately clear that as infrastructure improves that this is where the industry is headed. It’ll have an adoption rate similar to digital distribution did. By that I mean it will likely take 3 generations before it overtakes local play.
Keep in mind last generation launched with digital titles that had a maximum size of like 256MB. Digital distribution for full retail didn’t really start until this generation. Next generation it will be the norm and physical will be the exception. 3 generations for mass adoption.

CyberPanda

Banned
Why is it news that they're saying they're not done with consoles? Do people really expect them to say we're done with consoles as they're about to try to sell you one last time to buy one of their consoles?
Good point. I guess we’ll have to see what happens.

ethomaz

Banned
They are calling my usual gaming time Premium now?

It should be the standard/basic/minimum not premium.

Last edited:

It’s unfortunately clear that as infrastructure improves that this is where the industry is headed. It’ll have an adoption rate similar to digital distribution did. By that I mean it will likely take 3 generations before it overtakes local play.
Keep in mind last generation launched with digital titles that had a maximum size of like 256MB. Digital distribution for full retail didn’t really start until this generation. Next generation it will be the norm and physical will be the exception. 3 generations for mass adoption.
Wasn't it 64MB for XBLA titles, so they would fit on an Xbox memory card?

HeresJohnny

Okay then stop talking about streaming and focus on consoles. Microsoft is talking out of both sides of their mouth here, and I’m sick of it. They are largely responsible for a lot of this streaming nonsense starting, because they were butt hurt they got womped on this generation. For the good of the business and the industry, they need to start acting and behaving more responsibly. Then they may actually still have something worth leading, because this streaming horseshit will fracture the industry and kill it.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I believe MS understands the danger that Google represents as a competitor in the cloud gaming space, so they must highlight their advantages early.

ZywyPL

Banned
Latency wise, obviously.Picture quality wise? Not so sure anymore, seeing as upscalled/dynamic/checkerboard resolutions are start to appear in almost every game nowadays. But as far as convenience goes, streaming has a great chance to become the ultimate experience. Just imagine just installing appropriate service app on your Smart TV and being able to access any desired game, just like that, without downloading, installing, patching etc., a new game shows up, you just press play and you're already playing it, half a minute after release date. But it all comes down to the business model, so far MS seems to finally make it fair and simple, while Google Stadia from what the rumors say will follow OnLive path, which is completely NOT how it should be done. Sony on the other hand offers mostly last-gen titles on PS Now, so they have to sort out their shit first.

CeeJay

Okay then stop talking about streaming and focus on consoles. Microsoft is talking out of both sides of their mouth here, and I’m sick of it. They are largely responsible for a lot of this streaming nonsense starting, because they were butt hurt they got womped on this generation. For the good of the business and the industry, they need to start acting and behaving more responsibly. Then they may actually still have something worth leading, because this streaming horseshit will fracture the industry and kill it.

Come on now...

As many a GAF member will tell you, PSnow has been a thing for 5 years yet MS haven't even released their's yet.

HeresJohnny

Come on now...

As many a GAF member will tell you, PSnow has been a thing for 5 years yet MS haven't even released their's yet.
Quietly released with none of the nonsense and conjecture about streaming that Microsoft has. Sony released theirs as a tertiary stream to gaming, whereas Microsoft has gone over the edge with it, talking shit about the digital era and now releasing digital only consoles. The behavior of the two companies can't be compared imo.

thelodius

Banned
Quietly released with none of the nonsense and conjecture about streaming that Microsoft has. Sony released theirs as a tertiary stream to gaming, whereas Microsoft has gone over the edge with it, talking shit about the digital era and now releasing digital only consoles. The behavior of the two companies can't be compared imo.
Agreed. Microsoft and their unmitigated hubris are absolutely ruining the gaming industry. They have no respect for the forefathers of gaming. It's only about one thing and one thing only: profit.

Windows phones were never a success to start with. You can't compare that to the xbox. MS is working on their 4th generation of consoles. For perspective, Windows phones were launched at the end of 2010 and stopped being manufactured by the beginning of 2014 - just over 3 years. Meanwhile the xbox came out at the end of 2001 and is still going strong. For a company that just snatched up a ton of a developers you seem way too certain that MS would for some reason back out of the console business. Then again im not really surprised coming from you.

Last edited:

CeeJay

Agreed. Microsoft and their unmitigated hubris are absolutely ruining the gaming industry. They have no respect for the forefathers of gaming. It's only about one thing and one thing only: profit.

You guys are in there way too far...

Arkage

Banned

You think anybody who cares about competitive online, which is basically the biggest market and commercial scene in gaming, is going to be OK with streaming lag of any sort? Companies market PC stuff (monitors/mouse/keyboard/laptops) in terms of lag added at the millisecond level as a talking point to sell their product. Console makers could just start emphasizing the benefits of less lag in games as a major talking point vs streaming competitors.

Last edited:

Panda1

Banned
Valve Software’s latest hardware and software survey for July 2018 reveals that 63.72 percent of Steam’s registered members still play games with a 1,920 x 1,080 resolution (aka Full HD). Even more, 13.33 percent of Steam’s gamers play at 1,366 x 768 (HD) while only 1.14 percent are playing at 3,840 x 2,160 (4K). Only 3.12 percent play at 2,560 x 1,440 (QHD).

Lets not pretend high end gaming is for anyone but the top 5%. Most people are perfectly happy to play games at 1080 with integrated graphics. Streaming games will be absolutely fine for 90% of gamers - who are not on forums like this and have zero idea what latency or refresh rates will mean.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I'm happy to welcome streaming as a supplement to my console. If I can play something on my console, I'm more than willing to accept some latency in order to bring the gaming with me outside my house. But I would never want this as an only option.

DanielsM

Banned
Windows phones were never a success to start with. You can't compare that to the xbox. MS is working on their 4th generation of consoles. For perspective, Windows phones were launched at the end of 2010 and stopped being manufactured by the beginning of 2014 - just over 3 years. Meanwhile the xbox came out at the end of 2001 and is still going strong. For a company that just snatched up a ton of a developers you seem way too certain that MS would for some reason back out of the console business. Then again im not really surprised coming from you.

Not sure what you mean about Windows Phone, before Windows Phone was Windows Mobile/CE, which got it start really back in the mid-90s. Before Apple, MS and Blackberry ruled the phone OS world. You are completely wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Mobile

Here is the moment Microsoft lost the phone market. :)

You're last sentence is quite ironic. For the record, I do believe MS will release a Xbox Two, as their services in the cloud haven't been fully developed. Eventually, Windows and Xbox will be rolled up in the cloud completely, but they are way behind and they have to roll out new hardware to salvage the existing user base. Most of Microsoft's consumer products/services/devices are have been gutted by Nadella over the last 5 years. There is one key difference between Windows Phone and Xbox/Windows users, they couldn't move phone processing to the cloud, you need a device, with Xbox those users can be moved to the cloud, which is the process you are in as a user of theirs... Windows users will be rolled to the cloud as well.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member

They also didn't sell 40 million phone devices in a generation with massive profit. Why would they leave money on the table, so over repeating myself Microsoft know streaming isn't for anyone, they know machines aren't for everyone. Have every option available better than your competitor is the only way to maximising profits. The head honchos in charge of a division bringing in 10s of billions in revenue know you the gamer prefer a console and they are fully aware of it.

DanielsM

Banned
They also didn't sell 40 million phone devices in a generation with massive profit. Why would they leave money on the table, so over repeating myself Microsoft know streaming isn't for anyone, they know machines aren't for everyone. Have every option available better than your competitor is the only way to maximising profits. The head honchos in charge of a division bringing in 10s of billions in revenue know you the gamer prefer a console and they are fully aware of it.

They actually sold way more than that in windows Mobile/Phone, and there is no proof that Xbox has ever made a profit, and lots of indirect proof that its a money pit.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/mobile-os-market-shares-in-2005-symbian-51-linux-23-windows-17/

Xbox isn't going away, its being moved to the cloud. Microsoft will probably release new hardware as all their cloud services are not complete, which is why they will continue to push for digital on Xbox and Windows, as there is no way to play physical media in the cloud.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
They actually sold way more than that in windows Mobile/Phone, and there is no proof that Xbox has ever made a profit, and lots of indirect proof that its a money pit.

Xbox isn't going away, its being moved to the cloud.

Show me some numbers then, the windows phone age you talk about was tiny compared to the current market. Smart phones back then where a tiny tiny tiny section of the market, Nokia and Symbian still held supreme along with Moto and Sony with what I would say was 90% of the market. No one had blackberrys and Windows CE phones besides your 'higher ups' so to speak. The iphone delivered the smart phones to the masses as we know it.

Since the xbox division doesn't run at a profit, can you let us know what they spent over 10 billion on in the last quarter?

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Show me some numbers then, the windows phone age you talk about was tiny compared to the current market. Smart phones back then where a tiny tiny tiny section of the market, Nokia and Symbian still rang supreme along with Moto and Sony. No one had blackberrys and Windows CE phones besides you're 'higher ups' so to speak. The iphone delivered the smart phones to the masses as we know it.

Since the xbox division doesn't run at a profit, can you let us know what they spent over 10 billion on in the last quarter?

You are talking about today, they lost the market. I posted the video of Ballmer above, that's when the market was lost. I have a freaking Lumia 640 sitting right next to me right now. $10b is just revenue, they probably lose less money than they did 10 years ago, but there is absolutely no proof Xbox has ever made a profit in any quarter, let alone recouped the billions of dollars they were sticking into it.

“I did not get why the world needed the third ecosystem in phones unless we changed the rules … But it was too late to regain the ground we had lost. We were chasing our competitors’ taillights.”
https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-ceo-not-get-world-needed-third-ecosystem-phones/

Xbox isn't going away, on the contrary, Phil just got more money from Uncle Nadella to continue to push the Xbox users to the cloud, the cloud services are not completed, so you will get new hardware. Once the cloud services are complete they can start pushing Windows/Xbox users to the cloud at a faster rate.

No one had blackberrys and Windows CE phones besides your 'higher ups' so to speak.

The rest were dummy phones, not sure what the point is. That is why we have Ballmer up there in the video laughing, no way Microsoft loses that market. :) As far as Microsoft they've basically gutted their consumer products/services under Nadella in 5 years, Xbox can be moved to the cloud.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
You are talking about today, the lost the market. I posted the video of Ballmer above, that's when the market was lost. I have a freaking Lumia 640 sitting right next to me right now.

$10b is just revenue, they probably lose less money than they did 10 years ago, but there is absolutely no proof Xbox has ever made a profit in any quarter, let alone recouped the billions of dollars they were sticking into it.

In your own article Windows had 17% of the market compared to Symbians 51%, Microsoft never held the market to loose they slowly gained ground until the basic interface and app store of the iphone killed everything off until Google got their shit together to launch some competition. Yes the previous Windows CE had a much larger market than when they tried to relaunch the Windows Phone OS known to us on your Lumia. The latest Windows phone was a great OS but it was bungled by never having an app store to rival Apples, if they launched today no doubt they would of done differently and could probably actually make a go of it now. But completely off the topic either way I guess.

You know how revenue works right? You said they run at a loss, their division brought in over 10 billion in revenue (sales, turnover etc). For them to run at an operating loss they will have had to spent over $10 billion in that same quarter.

llien

Atleast the console makers understand this
I rather read it as "company selling the most popular OS used by PC gamers".

Here is the moment Microsoft lost the phone market. :)
Windows Mobile had existed for years at that point.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Three

Windows phones were never a success to start with.
Was xbox? Not really.
Only if you ignore Windows Mobile existing since 2000 (before xbox even)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Mobile

Also the purchase of Nokia before Windows Phone was discontinued says hi. Not saying anything is going to go bust but aquisitions and initial release don't tell you anything.

DanielsM

Banned
You know how revenue works right? You said they run at a loss, their division brought in over 10 billion in revenue (sales, turnover etc). For them to run at an operating loss they will have had to spent over $10 billion in that same quarter.

Okay, please show me in their financials? Microsoft doesn't release profit statements on individual products, Xbox is now spread out over multiple divisions on.

The first Xbox probably lost in the $4-7b range, they probably don't know how much. In this articles, he says they were making money on Xbox 360, than analysts started digging and figured out they were including Android patent money into what was referred to as the devices division. That could range in the $1-2b per year for a number of years.
Microsoft lost $5 billion to $7 billion on the original Xbox, launched in 2001. And it made billions of dollars on the Xbox 360.

https://venturebeat.com/2015/09/27/...xbox-officer-revisits-his-critical-decisions/

"We conclude that Xbox platform plus Windows phone and Skype lose about $2.5 billion per year, and we estimate that the Xbox platform may account for roughly $2 billion of this," Sherlund asserted. "This is contrary to conventional wisdom, we think investors do not realize how extensive the operating costs are for this business and it is concealed by the hugely profitable Android royalties." ]

https://www.destructoid.com/analyst-microsoft-losing-2-billion-on-xbox-annually-265273.phtml

That's it for me as I was spanked the other day for correcting people blatantly pulling financial shit out of their ass and selling it as pie.

Xbox isn't going away, its a platform now and those users and eventually Windows users will be moved to the cloud for processing, the services are not complete.

Windows Mobile had existed for years at that point.
Absolutely llien, most people I knew in the business world it was BB, but yeah Microsoft Mobile/CE was around as well.

Last edited:
They can really take the lead if the market the Xbox as the premium device and the cloud as the low entry point.

It's the start of a new console war. Box premium games vs cloud freemium games.

I can play the latest Mario masterpiece at 4k with a gorgeous controller for 39.99 well spent euros vs a remake of Snake streamed at 240p from the cloud with a janky pop-up advert at 9.99 DRM.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Okay, please show me in their financials? Microsoft doesn't release profit statements on individual products, Xbox is now spread out over multiple divisions on.

The first Xbox probably lost in the $4-7b range, they probably don't know how much. In this articles, he says they were making money on Xbox 360, than analysts started digging and figured out they were including Android patent money into what was referred to as the devices division. That could range in the $1-2b per year for a number of years.

I'm not arguing xbox lost billions when it was launched and would agree with that statement it was never my point, any new product does xbox was bleeding money at the start. You said there is no proof Microsoft has ever made a profit in a quarter on the Xbox division which you cant back up with any documents. That division just turned over 10billion in revenue, more than Nintendo as a whole.

So since you cant back that statement up with any proof, for them to have lost money, their net profit has to be a minus which happens with their outgoings being higher than their revenue. They would have had to have spent over 10 billion last quarter in that division, do you honestly believe xbox, the brand with no games spent over $10 billion dollars in 3 months? Nintendo without the massive money hauler that is xbox gold manages to turn a profit in the billions. Just tell me simply if you think they spent more than $10 billion dollars last quarter.

Last edited:

Shifty

Microsoft has a 'leadership' position in current console gaming? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The 'I think it makes a great headline' line an odd one as well. Why exactly are egging on the clickbait bottom-feeders of the world? Ain't nothing great about that :pie_thinking:

Overall a good message though. Perhaps we can dispense with the STADIA TO OUST XBOX/SONY/NINTENDO narrative now.

DanielsM

Banned
I'm not arguing xbox lost billions when it was launched and would agree with that statement it was never my point, any new product does xbox was bleeding money at the start. You said there is no proof Microsoft has ever made a profit in a quarter on the Xbox division which you cant back up with any documents. That division just turned over 10billion in revenue, more than Nintendo as a whole.

So since you cant back that statement up with any proof, for them to have lost money, their net profit has to be a minus which happens with their outgoings being higher than their revenue. They would have had to have spent over 10 billion last quarter in that division, do you honestly believe xbox, the brand with no games spent over $10 billion dollars in 3 months? Nintendo without the massive money hauler that is xbox gold manages to turn a profit in the billions. Just tell me simply if you think they spent more than $10 billion dollars last quarter.

They were spending over what they make for well over a decade... or it can be surmised as that as a great possibility. I would say they lose less than they use to because they had dumped all the studios and devices as well. Microsoft has no way of knowing either, they don't break out their financials that way. Just stating revenue doesn't mean anything, but even if it did Microsoft is not cancelling Xbox... their simply moving it.

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-ceo-not-get-world-needed-third-ecosystem-phones/

Lets for fun slightly change Nadella's statement about Windows Phone to Xbox.

“I did not get why the world needed the third ecosystem in phones [game consoles] unless we changed the rules … But it was too late to regain the ground we had lost. We were chasing our competitors’ taillights ”

The changing of the rules, is to push them (Xbox and eventually Windows users) to the cloud. Microsoft has been spending the last 5-8 years trying to copy Google and Amazon AWS i.e. cloud, they gave up on Apple, Nintendo and Sony as far as devices.

The console wars are over just like the phone wars are over, and the watch wars.

Last edited:

Shifty

Nothing wrong with having low standards and zero production values for games I guess if you are 5 years old or an adult who never grew up.
There's being out-of-touch with reality, and then there's being out of touch with reality.

This is the latter.

Nothing wrong with having low standards and zero production values for games I guess if you are 5 years old or an adult who never grew up.
Name one game this generation that is better than Breath of the Wild. It is literally one of the top 10 games of all time by most metrics you'd care to choose. Man, my standards are so low... I should really appreciate Anthem more...

CeeJay

The rest of you aren't far in enough. You have no idea what sort of morally reprehensible stuff they have planned.
No thanks, i'll keep myself outside as an open minded consumer and spend my hard earned cash wherever I think offers the best product at the best price like I have always done with my gaming. None of these big corporations are my friend and they all just want my money so that they can pay dividends to their fat shareholders to waste on champagne and overpriced food. You may have some romantic ideas about all this, talking about a lack of respect for the forefathers of gaming but the minute you load up any AAA videogame you are bending over for some corporate businessman in a suit somewhere. Unless you exclusively play original indie games made by tiny teams or individuals then you are also feeding the progression of the games industry towards something that you are vilifying. You are one of "the rest of you".

See it for what it is and enjoy the experiences for what you can get out of them but please put that bullshit white knight mentality behind you.

thelodius

Banned

Why are you laughing? If you knew some of the stuff that I know trust me those would be tear of horror not joy.

No thanks, i'll keep myself outside as an open minded consumer and spend my hard earned cash wherever I think offers the best product at the best price like I have always done with my gaming. None of these big corporations are my friend and they all just want my money so that they can pay dividends to their fat shareholders to waste on champagne and overpriced food. You may have some romantic ideas about all this, talking about a lack of respect for the forefathers of gaming but the minute you load up any AAA videogame you are bending over for some corporate businessman in a suit somewhere. Unless you exclusively play original indie games made by tiny teams or individuals then you are also feeding the progression of the games industry towards something that you are vilifying. You are one of "the rest of you".

See it for what it is and enjoy the experiences for what you can get out of them but please put that bullshit white knight mentality behind you.

It's not a romantic idea. It's about trusting ones time, money and passion into a company that understands the true medium of video games. Companies that have been around for decades and were there right from the beginning. Not jumped up tech corporations more interested in selling your data that respecting you as a gamer.

Sakura

If I still have to buy games I don't understand why I would want to choose a streaming device over a dedicated console.
If it is a streaming service like Netflix then I don't see how it would possibly work unless the price each month was ridiculous.
I just can't really envision a scenario where streaming would replace console gaming.

CeeJay

It's not a romantic idea. It's about trusting ones time, money and passion into a company that understands the true medium of video games. Companies that have been around for decades and were there right from the beginning. Not jumped up tech corporations more interested in selling your data that respecting you as a gamer.
Like Sony? :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom