• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS Cancels 1 on 1 Interviews with GB, GI.biz, Tapezilla...MCV?: "Scheduling conflict"

Flatline

Banned
This probably means that they're sticking with their disgusting anti-consumer tactics so they don't want to answer any "uncomfortable" questions.

Microsoft execs have all in all probably hundreds of interviews next week. Heck, when I'm there representing the worlds smallest publications even I get one on ones that sometimes have been cancelled. Or are these guys from major sites?

daebo

Before things go out of control: what's this about Sony not having any time for press?

Did they announce round tables and/one-on-ones with the press then cancel them just like MS?
Were they planning on having either or both in the first place?
Historically speaking, did either or both companies always have these sessions? Are the cancelations unprecedented?

yeah, I just asked before this... But like you said, before everybody has their fun with the XB1... Is this true?

If this, then there is something out there bigger effecting all gamers and not just XB1... I just don't know if Sony never does it or they've cancelled what they normally do.

I wonder what's the next question MS doesn't want to answer.

Come E3, will it be "What happened to the 15 exclusive games for the launch window?" ?

Brashnir

You guys are all missing what's really happening here.

Microsoft is going to have such an info-filled conference, that the media/gamers couldn't possibly have any questions to ask them about the Xbox One.

Right?

1. Denial <---you are here.
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance

As far as I know, our interviews are still on. I don't know who they're canceling or why they're doing it - and if they really just want softballs, I can't imagine they'd want to meet with Stephen - but it's very bizarre.

If they were to tell us what we can or can't ask about, or stonewall us on the important issues, we'd most definitely report that. Just as we've been reporting how they've confused everyone in the world: http://kotaku.com/chart-how-microsoft-confused-everyone-with-the-xbox-on-510382385

How far will you push if you start to get vague non answers?

ironcreed

Banned
So let me get this straight;

- Adam Orth happens, no official statements regarding always-online from Microsoft.
- Phil Harrison tells us how always-online is going to work. Retailers apparently leak out some info on how used games will work. Media reports, internet explodes.
- Microsoft claims the media is spreading faulty reports, ‘Details TBA’.
- Youtube comments taken down and blocked.
- Larry Hryb (Major Nelson) claims to be rounding up statements, but hasn’t said anything other than ‘Details TBA’ yet.
- Microsoft cancels the pre- and post-E3 roundtables.
- Microsoft cancels (some?) one-on-one interviews.

+

- Problems with eSRAM.
- Reportedly six months behind in production.
- UI not yet working as smooth as claimed in the presentation.
- Supposedly scrambling backstage, throwing money at third-parties out of desperation.

What the hell is happening at Microsoft?

3stooges.jpg

There is no defending this now.

This is turning into one of the biggest PR disasters in recent memory.

But everything was good just a week ago on the Bombcast. Remember, Microsoft has six months to explain everything, that's what they said. Now all of a sudden they're concerned that their interviews were cancelled.

RobbieH

There's no way they'll answer any of the questions during the conference, either.

If Microsoft had something good to say:

"Hey Microsoft, do used games work the same way they do now?"
"Yes."
"What about always-online?"
"Doesn't exist."

If Microsoft had something bad to say:

"Hey Microsoft, do used games work the same way they do now? And always-online?"

No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet.

For single-player games that don’t require connectivity to Xbox Live, you should be able to play those without interruption should your Internet connection go down. Blu-ray movies and other downloaded entertainment should be accessible when your Internet connection may be interrupted. But the device is fundamentally designed to be expanded and extended by the Internet as many devices are today.

The bits that are on that disc, you can give it to your friend and they can install it on an Xbox One. They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live. We will have a solution—we’re not talking about it today—for you to be able to trade your previously-played games online.

So, think about how you use a disc that you own of an Xbox 360 game. If I buy the disc from a store, I use that disc in my machine, I can give that disc to my son and he can play it on his 360 in his room. We both can't play at the same time, but the disc is the key to playing. I can go round to your house and give you that disc and you can play on that game as well.

What we're doing with the digital permissions that we have for Xbox One is no different to that. If I am playing on that disc, which is installed to the hard drive on my Xbox One, everybody in my household who has permission to use my Xbox One can use that piece of content. [So] I can give that piece of content to my son and he can play it on the same system.

I can come to your house and I can put the disc into your machine and I can sign in as me and we can play the game. The bits are on your hard drive. At the end of the play session, when I take my disc home - or even if I leave it with you - if you want to continue to play that game [on your profile] then you have to pay for it. The bits are already on your hard drive, so it's just a question of going to our store and buying the game, and then it's instantly available to play.

While Phil Harrison discussed many potential scenarios around games on Xbox One, today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail. There have been reports of a specific time period — those were discussions of potential scenarios, but we have not confirmed any details today, nor will we be.

Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend’s house – should you choose to play your game at your friend’s house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile.

If I come over to your house and I play with my profile, then I'm going to be able to use that game. If you want to play with your profile, that's as if you're buying the game.

I am working on rounding up answers, and they look pretty good. Once I have them all I'll make a post. And yes, we are listening.

*cancels roundtable because of a change in execs' schedule*
*cancels one-on-one interviews because execs can't accommodate journalists*

I have a few friends who work as game journos. Their colleague's one on ones are still on.

I wonder what's the next question MS doesn't want to answer.

Come E3, will it be "What happened to the 15 exclusive games for the launch window?" ?

That's fifteen first party exclusive games in the Xbox One's FIRST YEAR, not launch window.

Actually its a smart move. They know momentum is against them no need for them to do interviews they'll get enough press time as it is and the press isn't ballsy enough to embargo them if they withhold interviews (I remember one studio tried to do this with a movie and the press essentially said they'd embargo printing anything about it and that changed their minds) on top of that Microsoft has been downright terrible at messaging. Why take the risk?
So it's smart because they're incompetent.

Rich!

What is happening to The Bone?

The xbone is connected to the PR bone, the PR bone is connected to the exec bone, the exec bone is connected to the shareholder bone...

It's like Steve Ballmers wet dream, but only if at the very last minute it turned into a nightmare featuring an undead Margaret Thatcher boning a badger.

It's all gone so so wrong.

Perkel

Banned
Missed that. Man, if THAT happened I'd have to hope Nintendo can do a 180 and get everyone on board (sales wise at least.)

Nintendo does not have E3 press conference only Nintendo Direct this year... :(

2 conferences without crazy reggie will be boring.

For now. I hope they don't cancel out on the outlets that will make the hard questions.

Jason, please, if you're told to follow guidelines on questions, do tell us. Or if they ask something not to be included in a written interview. Ask if you can take video, if they refuse, tell us. We should be getting everything from them, even how they act towards talking about their own console.

Yes please do....I have a feeling any interview MS does do will NOT be video recorded. Too hard to manipulate.

PJV3

You wouldn't want to be one of the journos who gets an interview, people will think you're a soft touch.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
What in the hell are they doing. They'll only create more confusion.
To begin with they won't have as much media coverage without interviews with journalists. Instead these journalists may finally realize something is not normal and make articles about it. So yes, it will only create more confusion.

Celegus

Guys, it's because they're going to answer every single question at their press conference. They're just saving journalists' time because there won't be any questions left to ask.

I have a few friends who work as game journos. Their colleague's one on ones are still on.

Then if this holds true, it was a scheduling conflict. MSFT should offer to reschedule with GB post E3 then. Still, with E3 emotion running hot, still may make for some wild posts.

Ramma2

All aboard the Microsoft Hype Train!

tumblr_lt28sfPhKV1r4dytpo1_500.gif

The 360 has been a huge part of my life for the past 8 years. This stuff is really starting to sting.

Dali

Microsoft going into their shell? Is this some ms bay turtles cross promotion like what they were doing for star trek during their conference?

Army of Darkness did it first.

But Braveheart did it best.

This does seem fishy. I mean, they could still answer "we don't have the details finalized yet" and I'm sure they have PR scrambling for acceptable records to spin ... but just all out cancelling and we KNOW they won't say shit at E3.

As far as I know, our interviews are still on. I don't know who they're canceling or why they're doing it - and if they really just want softballs, I can't imagine they'd want to meet with Stephen - but it's very bizarre.

If they were to tell us what we can or can't ask about, or stonewall us on the important issues, we'd most definitely report that. Just as we've been reporting how they've confused everyone in the world: http://kotaku.com/chart-how-microsoft-confused-everyone-with-the-xbox-on-510382385

Maybe you're too small to warrant the consideration of a formal cancellation.

fart town usa

Gold Member
This is pretty insane.

Remember folks, we're witnessing history here.

Embrace in it's warmth and enjoy it. I know I am.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Top Bottom