• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS Discusses the 'Optimized for Xbox Series X' Badge: "performance target of 60 frames per second at 4K resolution"

ManaByte

Gold Member

Games that have been Optimized for Xbox Series X use the power of the new console to deliver higher, steadier framerates, with a performance target of 60 frames per second at 4K resolution. Some games will even be able to support framerates up to 120 fps or variable refresh rates, allowing developers to offer players heightened realism and more precise controls for fast-paced action. We also talked to Technical Director at Codemasters David Springate about optimizing DiRT 5 for Xbox Series X, to give you a better feel for how increased framerates could improve next gen games:

Wondering which games are Optimized for Xbox Series X? Below you’ll find a list of titles confirmed to be Optimized for Xbox Series X to date. As this list grows in the weeks and months leading up to Xbox Series X launch, we’ll keep it updated to reflect any additions.

• Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
  • Bright Memory Infinite
  • Call of the Sea
  • Chivalry 2
  • Chorus
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Destiny 2
  • DiRT 5
  • FIFA 21
  • Gears 5
  • Halo Infinite
  • Hitman 3
  • Madden NFL 21
  • Marvel’s Avengers
  • Outriders
  • Scarlet Nexus
  • Scorn
  • Second Extinction
  • The Ascent
  • The Medium
  • Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon

I really hope they add some more of the current gen games that would greatly benefit from the Series X’s additional processing power. I also wonder how many developers will give us an option for 120fps outside of the racing genre. I feel a good amount of games will be 60fps but the vast majority will be 30fps as usual.

Sony

Nintendo

Interview with Jason Ronald, one of the lead engineers on the Xbox Series X, about what exactly 'Optimized for Xbox Series X' means.
I really like what Microsoft is doing with Series X and what they are planning. There is just one this I take issue with. At 5:57, Jason says that all Xbox first party titles will be developed both for Xbox One and Series X.
First party developers are usually the ones pushing consoles to their limits... You can scale graphics and optimize loading times all you want, but you won't convice me that a 1.2 TF console with a Jaguar CPU is not a major bottleneck for Xbox Game studios and won't affect game design. I really hope that he meant all first party titles in the next 1 or 2 years will also be release on Xbox One. Because if not, all that Series X juice is a waste.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
AMAZING LIST. HALO AND CYBERPUNK @ 4K60

full

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
If Cyberpunk is 60FPS, I am probably pre-ordering the console. Hope it's going to be like with X1X, which came here at the same date as in the world.

NickFire

I have mixed feelings here. I like that they will denote something as optimized for the high end machine. But on the other hand, this strikes me as strong evidence that true next generation games really are years off. And I also can't help but wonder if there's any point getting a series X if you don't have a 4k tv yet.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I have mixed feelings here. I like that they will denote something as optimized for the high end machine. But on the other hand, this strikes me as strong evidence that true next generation games really are years off. And I also can't help but wonder if there's any point getting a series X if you don't have a 4k tv yet.

Super sampling will still help and RT isn't 4k required.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
I wish they created a badge that represents 4K@60fps. Publishers would kill MS. The OP should change the title and body. The Optimized for the series X simply means that it uses series X capabilities and has nothing to do with framerate or resolution.

Interview with Jason Ronald, one of the lead engineers on the Xbox Series X, about what exactly 'Optimized for Xbox Series X' means.
I really like what Microsoft is doing with Series X and what they are planning. There is just one this I take issue with. At 5:57, Jason says that all Xbox first party titles will be developed both for Xbox One and Series X.
First party developers are usually the ones pushing consoles to their limits... You can scale graphics and optimize loading times all you want, but you won't convice me that a 1.2 TF console with a Jaguar CPU is not a major bottleneck for Xbox Game studios and won't affect game design. I really hope that he meant all first party titles in the next 1 or 2 years will also be release on Xbox One. Because if not, all that Series X juice is a waste.

I still don't understand the worry and concern some have around here. Did MS say they would support XB1 forever? Have the best looking games come at the beginning of a console generation? If MS wants to give people who bought an XBOX recently some support that should be lauded seeing how that's very pro consumer. After a year or 2 the XSX will be an even more mature platform and games will really be impressive like generations past. Don't worry about MS they'll be fine and so will us gamers.

Jtibh

Banned
I just dont see how they can do that on modern titles if the ps5 can mostly hit 30fps at 4k.
Its not like xsx has twice the cpu power and twice the ram.

I say yes the cross gen titles will have 4k 60 even 4k 120. But no nextgen title will have it all.

I am fully prepared for 4k 30 for next gen.
I mean ac valhala is already 4k 30 on xsx and its cross gen

tryDEATH

It won't affect game design, because we already saw games on the PS5, which has a specialized SSD, which is its marque features not being able to as they say "eliminate" loading screens nor revolutionize games or game design. That will hold true for at least 1 or 2 more years just like Xbox's policy for how long they will support current generation. This fake "concern" is nothing more than a bad faith argument.

It is nothing more that comparing a high end PC to a low end PC, settings will be adjusted accordingly and one will look much better then the other end of story revolutions ain't happening at the start of generations.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome news...can't wait to play all my multi-platform games and first party games in 4K at 60FPS or better!!! November can't get here fast enough.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I wish they created a badge that represents 4K@60fps. Publishers would kill MS. The OP should change the title and body. The Optimized for the series X simply means that it uses series X capabilities and has nothing to do with framerate or resolution.

This is why i still think this badge will confuse a lot of people, and even expect it means standard 4K/60 if this badge is slapped on the box.

And i don't understand why they heavenly show Valhalla? It's 4K/30 for next-gen, but if it has a mode for 60fps on both console, then this whole badge doesn't make sense for this game or some others. I mean every game after June is optimized for PS5.

soulbait

I just dont see how they can do that on modern titles if the ps5 can mostly hit 30fps at 4k.

I say yes the cross gen titles will have 4k 60 even 4k 120. But no nextgen title will have it all.

Secret sauce? :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Jigsaah

Gold Member

• Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
  • Bright Memory Infinite
  • Call of the Sea
  • Chivalry 2
  • Chorus
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Destiny 2
  • DiRT 5
  • FIFA 21
  • Gears 5
  • Halo Infinite
  • Hitman 3
  • Madden NFL 21
  • Marvel’s Avengers
  • Outriders
  • Scarlet Nexus
  • Scorn
  • Second Extinction
  • The Ascent
  • The Medium
  • Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon
I just wanted to see Cyberpunk, Halo and AC. Prayers answered.

Last edited:

CamHostage

For those worried about games like Halo being on the Xbox One as well, here is a reminder how much a developer can gut from a previous generation version if they want.

But that's a PS3 disc and a PS4 disc. Two different versions of the game, optimized and produced for each platform. "Optimized for Xbox" seems to be more or less a fancy term for Boost Mode that Xbox One X already does, on a grander scale of settings options but only so much that takes advantage of the hardware besides the extra room to run games better. Same textures, same models, just now running on Ultra setting instead of Standard.

If the Xbox Series X could run a different executeable of the game or even employ a texture pack (and I'm not sure it couldn't or doesn't, but they don't say?), that would at least make it its own game for each platform. Even Gears 5, where it appears they are doing a "native copy" on Series X, it's mostly implementing the PC features; would they actually add something like the next-gen raytraced audio system? (Probably not, and possibly for good reason, because the game is designed a certain way and could throw performance off if effects were just dropped in untested.) Jason Ronald of Xbox does say Optimized For titles can take advantage of the hardware in lighting and performance, so we'll see what actually comes of it when Optimized titles come out.

On one hand, I do like the uniform approach to the market (could they really build a "truly-next-gen" AC Valhalla today? and if not, why ship two boxes just to pretend that there's a Series X version?) On the other hand, it's just hard to feel the thrill of jumping to a new generation if all the games are going to be same-but-better. We already had a half-gen step-up with Xbox One X, and as impresive as the new hardware is, it feels too much to me like Xbox One X Series X rather than a totally new Xbox.

...But, PS5 hasn't been able to prove that the opposite approach is all that more if at all more "next-gen", and Sony isn't making this midpoint situation as easy as "Optimized for" does, so I guess this is just what consoles look like now.

Last edited:

Yams

Doesn't Gears 5 run at around 60fps at 4K (some of the time) on the One X? Seems reasonable that they could target 4K 60 on a machine that is far more powerful.

Jtibh

Banned
Doesn't Gears 5 run at around 60fps at 4K (some of the time) on the One X? Seems reasonable that they could target 4K 60 on a machine that is far more powerful.
I talk next gen. Not current gen or cross gen.
Gears 5 is current gen

-Arcadia-

Banned
So, a 30 FPS game that looks absolutely gorgeous, and uses Series X full tilt, won't have this optimized badge?

That doesn't sound like a good idea, but the whole thing confuses me. I'm not sure why we need a badge in the first place -- shouldn't every game be optimized for Series X by default? It's not an optional Pro-like upgrade.

Jtibh

Banned
So, a 30 FPS game that looks absolutely gorgeous, and uses Series X full tilt, won't have this optimized badge?

That doesn't sound like a good idea, but the whole thing confuses me. I'm not sure why we need a badge in the first place -- shouldn't every game be optimized for Series X by default? It's not an optional Pro-like upgrade.
Cuz they run out of console exclusive or exlusive slogan since all games are on gamepass day one that you can play on pc as well.

Yams

I talk next gen. Not current gen or cross gen.
Gears 5 is current gen

Right but if current generation consoles can hit 4K 60 then a next generation console will be able to do the same while showcasing next generation graphics. Will every next gen game target 60fps? Probably not, but certainly a lot of them will.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Cuz they run out of console exclusive or exlusive slogan since all games are on gamepass day one that you can play on pc as well.

I see what you're getting at, but it still seems silly. So it's kind of like a thing they can theoretically hold over PS5? 'These games run super extra special here' and such?

We don't know what the full scope of the customizations MS have made to their CPU and GPU. Some people have convinced themselves, for whatever reason, this is just something MS somehow cannot do, going back to XBO as their argument's foundation.

The thing is, we already know XBO was not developed as a system with gaming at the forefront of the design. It always made sense to look at the 360 and OG Xbox as more indicative of what MS can do when it comes to designing a system actually focused on pushing gaming at the forefront of its design, and that usually leads to very good results with various areas they are exceptionally strong in.

More info on the system architecture will more than likely highlight this, just like how some of the PS5 information we know of so far has highlighted areas where that system is exceptionally strong in, all also down to specific customizations in the system design.

Jtibh

Banned
I see what you're getting at, but it still seems silly. So it's kind of like a thing they can theoretically hold over PS5? 'These games run super extra special here' and such?
Yeah i am not sure about the motive behind it.
To my knowledge they said none of the games ran on xsx in the first show and so they just slapped the optimized slogan on the screen.

Maybe this time around it will be different when we see games running on actual hardware.

This is why i appreciated the ps5 show cuz all games ran on the ps5 so i know what i will get at release. Even if most games were 4k 30 , they kept it real.

Here who knows. Maybe since most of their games will be cross gen they just want to point out its enhanced on xsx.

Gamerguy84

They can set any parameters they want. Of course for their own studios but 3rd party as well. Seems like Phil really wants them to align with most PC gamers minimums.

Choice would be good. 60, 120 fps or 30fps graphical enhancements choice.

I have no idea how much work that is on a developers side or if it is very little but choice is always good. I personally want 30 and 60 modes.

Jigga117

Wow the Judo moves people are making when it comes to the definition of optimize. He clearly tells you in the video what the point of it is and the targets for last gen and games built for Series X. It reads like some of you only respond about the badge and didn't bother to watch the video

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It won't affect game design, because we already saw games on the PS5, which has a specialized SSD, which is its marque features not being able to as they say "eliminate" loading screens nor revolutionize games or game design. That will hold true for at least 1 or 2 more years just like Xbox's policy for how long they will support current generation. This fake "concern" is nothing more than a bad faith argument.

It is nothing more that comparing a high end PC to a low end PC, settings will be adjusted accordingly and one will look much better then the other end of story revolutions ain't happening at the start of generations.

Please learn how game design works first. Of course it'll hurt game design. Designing a game to take advantage of an SSD at 4.2 GBs is way different that a HDD that's streaming data at 50 MBs.

Top Bottom