• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS doesn’t want you to have cool DLC for free: Gears,Epic, & gamers get screwed

KTallguy

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
These are the times when I wonder if a Microsoft controlled industry is a good thing. Hopefully they'll realize that Epic is too important to piss off, and that this makes them look really bad.

This, to me, is the scariest thing possible.

a Master Ninja said:
PREFACE: This is my GAF editorial, if you find holes in this, have at it.

Back in November Pat Wilson, developer at Garage Games, announced that their team had just finished making a FREE downloadable update (that featured bug fixes, 11 new multiplayer maps, and new gametypes) and that it was in Micosoft’s hands for certification. Weeks later in his blog, Pat explained to fans why the free content will NEVER be made available. (The site he blogged at, angrydev.com, is no more, but you can still find the info he posted on numerous sites) On the record, Garage Games says "...we are unable to come to an agreement with our publisher for the Marble Blast Ultra update." Seeing as Garage Games is both the publisher AND developer of Marble Blast Ultra, you need to read between the lines. The gist of Pat’s blog says Microsoft won’t allow them to release free content for their game, but he doesn’t go into what their motivation might be, but allow me to.

Reasons allowing publishers to release free content is BAD for Microsoft:
1.) Microsoft gets a cut of all microtransactions, and doesn’t make anything from free content, the Xbox division wants to make profit this gen
2.) It makes publishers who make pay content (something Microsoft wants to encourage) like EA look bad. Why would I want to buy mission packs for Sonic or stadiums for Madden when other publishers make kickass content for free?

Reasons why releasing free content is GOOD for publishers:
1.) Builds goodwill between the publisher and gamers, example: Epic
2.) Gives online multiplayer longer life without fracturing your user base

Ok, I might be the only person who liked Marble Blast, so I didn’t bring this up when it happened. But now this policy is affecting Gears of War. Multiple sources, including today’s 1UP Yours podcast (1 hour 12 minutes in), support a rumor that Microsoft and Epic are currently fighting over the new Gears of War content. The content is basically finished, they are just fighting over pricing. Epic want to make all the new weapons and maps 100% FREE. Epic doesn’t want to fragment their online community, and frankly we’ve come to expect these gestures of goodwill from Epic. Microsoft, as you might expect, is not letting Epic do this. Mark Rein, as you can imagine, is PISSED about this. Gears fans, lets all pray Epic wins this fight.

I'd like to thank Luke Smith for encouraging me to “think critically” about this issue.

Good editorial. This is why competition is good for the industry. Actually, these tactics do not surprise me in the slightest.

X26

Banned
While I love my 360, crap like this just contributes to my overall dislike of Microsoft.

But really, if Epic, who made such a MASSIVE hit on the 360, want the DLC to be free, I'm sure they can make it so.

RumFore

Banned
border said:
If Microsoft is taking such a hard-line over developer-made free content, just imagine what they think about free user-generated content.

No wonder the Little Big Planet guys were forced to go PS3 exclusive......MS probably wouldn't stand for a game centered around free DLC.

Forced? Word is they didn't even bother with MS.

border

RumpledForeskin said:
Forced? Word is they didn't even bother with MS.
Point being that they didn't bother because stuff like this gets around, and there's no point in putting Little Big Planet on a platform where free DLC is not allowed.

If this is true, it's such a stupid and short-sighted policy. I though Microsoft got how important communities are to games. Seems like there might be some dinosaurs roaming about in that corporation.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
This is total complete bullshit if true.

Dante said:
I got giddy when they mentioned the possibilty of GOW3 to PS3 on 1up yours.
:lol

There is no possibility. MS I am confident owns that IP.

shpankey

not an idiot
*IF* true, this is complete bullshit. Not to overreact, but if this shit it true I would honestly sell my 360 and buy a Wii and PS3 and never ever look on MSFT favorably again.

If it's not true, whoever involved in perpetuating this story should be fired [Luke]

GhaleonEB

Dr_Cogent said:
This is total complete bullshit if true.

:lol

There is no possibility. MS I am confident owns that IP.
Epic retained the IP for Gears. Microsoft has first publishing option to sequels, IIRC.

BigBoss

Karma Kramer said:
Dude why don't you just buy an Xbox 360 and play Gears of War now?

Jesus Christ

Why don't people shut the hell up about MGS4 coming to the XBox 360 when they could just buy a PS3 and play MGS4 as soon as it comes out instead of waiting a year for a port?

X26

Banned
Rhazer Fusion said:
You just know Halo 3 will be microtransaction-crazy. I dread to see some of the pricing for downloadable content in that game.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't DLC for Halo 3 going to be availiable day 1?

shpankey

not an idiot
BigBoss said:
Why don't people shut the hell up about MGS4 coming to the XBox 360 when they could just buy a PS3 and play MGS4 as soon as it comes out instead of waiting a year for a port?
dude, what? Gears is out right now on 360. your post makes no sense [not to mention came from Left Field].

Dr_Cogent

Banned
shpankey said:
*IF* true, this is complete bullshit. Not to overreact, but if this shit it true I would honestly sell my 360 and buy a Wii and PS3 and never ever look on MSFT favorably again.

If it's not true, whoever involved in perpetuating this story should be fired [Luke]

Don't think Sony won't pull the same f'in shit though. I am confident they would.

rod

Banned
BigBoss said:

1.more people own 360s than ps3s right now, MGS4 being one of the few trump cards left on the ps3, most people would not need to buy a ps3 if a port happens.

2.360 is a lot, lot cheaper. if someone doesnt own either a ps3 or a 360 and wants to play mgs4 badly, would they buy a 360 or a ps3? think about it. (this point does not relate to dante/kittony/bad_boy etc, for obvious reasons)

oh and dante, this "bias" you have is borderline insanity. its not even a bias, is more like a stalker obsession

justjohn

exactly how much money do they want or need. its funny you hear all these people going on about how microsoft is the richest company in the world, worth way more than sony, yet sony somehow manages to provide free online whilst microsoft charges.
anyway all you people desperately wanting a microsoft domination, this is a glimpse of the future. hope you enjoy it

btw was i too overdramatic. i can never tell

Just when MS was making me laugh with their Euro PS3 launch shenanigans, I read something like this to leave a sour taste in my mouth.

justjohn said:
exactly how much money do they want or need. its funny you hear all these people going on about how microsoft is the richest company in the world, worth way more than sony, yet sony somehow manages to provide free online whilst microsoft charges.
anyway all you people desperately wanting a microsoft domination, this is a glimpse of the future. hope you enjoy it

btw was i too overdramatic. i can never tell

You post on gamefaqs right? lol

Ploid 3.0

Black_Ice said:
GEARS OF WAR MAPS AND WWWWWWWWEEEEEEEAAAAAPPOOONSSS???

**** dat shit, I'm willing to pay for Gears of War DLC right now, especially weapons, just release the damn stuff. You can settle that AFTERWARDS and from there on out make your shit free.

However, it being free and coming out soon would be good too.

lol and this here is why MS will always be able to charge.

Edit: Have no idea how that was quoted twice. Odd fixed

BigBoss

shpankey said:
dude, what? Gears is out right now on 360. your post makes no sense [not to mention came from Left Field].

Yes it does. Dante wants Epic to port Gears to the PS3 so he doesn't have to buy an Xbox 360 and every Xbot on the planet wants MGS4 on the Xbox 360 so they don't have to buy a PS3. For some reason its okay for Xbots to ask for ports of every game thats exclusive to the PS3 but is somehow wrong for someone to ask for an Xbox 360 exclusive to go multiplatform

lix2k3

Gears on a PS platform is never going to happen. MS would probably pick up Epic in a hostile takeover before they let that happen. Let's be serious. That's almost as significant as Halo coming to PS3, Mario coming to XBOX, or Gran Tourismo going to Wii. In other words, aint gonna happen.

rod

Banned
BigBoss said:
Yes it does. Dante wants Epic to port Gears to the PS3 so he doesn't have to buy an Xbox 360 and every Xbot on the planet wants MGS4 on the Xbox 360 so they don't have to buy a PS3. For some reason its okay for Xbots to ask for ports of every game thats exclusive to the PS3 but is somehow wrong for someone to ask for an Xbox 360 exclusive to go multiplatform

dante has an xbox 360. for "um im not as biased as you think i have an xbox 360 here is my gamertag what now huh huh" purposes, im sure.

shpankey

not an idiot
BigBoss said:
oh ok, i see your point now. my apologies.

X26

Banned
lix2k3 said:
Gears on a PS platform is never going to happen. MS would probably pick up Epic in a hostile takeover before they let that happen. Let's be serious. That's almost as significant as Halo coming to PS3, Mario coming to XBOX, or Gran Tourismo going to Wii. In other words, aint gonna happen.

Most companies aren't dumb enough to put themselves in a position where they can be bought out. While it is HIGHLY unlikely, it's nowhere near the impossibility of GT on Xbox, Halo on a sony system, etc.

HokieJoe

SaggyMonkey said:
In the case of adding to a full game, MS probably sees a free map pack having mostly advertising value to a brand. If Prey releases free maps, for example, the benefit is perceived to be toward the game brand. Prey makes people happy, more people hear of Prey, etc..etc.. MS doesn't see a "cut" here even in mindshare. MS probably sees they can't really capitlize on that small portion of "happiness/goodwill about Prey" to any tangible degree so they can't justify devoting the manpower toward it. It would seem that "free" here is not free, and MS would actually charge that publisher some level of fee or per unit cost to make up for their lost time.

If it's an exclusive game though, I think MS certainly sees an increase in mindshare. Sorry, but this is one area that MS needs to f***ing suck it up. IMO, this lies at the feet of Ballmer. Take note MS board members, you can't have it both ways.

Dante

rod said:
dante has an xbox 360. for "um im not as biased as you think i have an xbox 360 here is my gamertag what now huh huh" purposes, im sure.

:lol to quote the great Starkyluv

"Get off my nuts dude", and take it to PM if you have personal issues with me :)

Who's got the stalker obsession?

Pimpwerx

squicken said:
Exactly. However arrogant Sony has been, MS running things would be AWFUL.
That's alright. Xbots and Stards alike will all have to bow before their new Nintendo overlords in a year or so. And I think we've all seen what happens in a Nintendo-run industry. :D PEACE.

rod

Banned
Dante said:
:lol WTF are you talking about?

sorry now GOW3 for you :(:(:(:( unless you want to pick up the forbidden xbox 360 version

the only nuts riding here is done by you bud, sonys, that is. i think id get a worse reaction if i insulted sony, rather than insulting a family member of yours.

BigBoss

rod said:

My mistake, the way he responded I thought he didn't own an Xbox 360.

BigBoss said:

I for one certainly do not want MGS4 on the X360. So you can scratch one Xbot off your list.

BigBoss said:

Do you realize how long until Gears of War 3 comes out? It will be like 6-8 years from now.

My point is that if he wants to play Gears of War so bad... buy an Xbox 360.

Your MGS4 example is different because why would someoene buy a PS3 now... if they might be able to play MGS4 on their Xbox 360.

But if MGS4 ends up a PS3 exclusive and someone decides not to buy a PS3 because of this... then that is pretty retarded and your comparison makes sense.

I just found it silly to be anticipating Gears of War 3 when Gears of War 1 was just released.

HokieJoe

GhaleonEB said:
Epic retained the IP for Gears. Microsoft has first publishing option to sequels, IIRC.

But wouldn't that put Epic in an unusual position to release Gears on the PS3? If they did that it seems MS could say, "good luck getting those sequels published Epic". I know it would be a lose-lose situation, but I think Epic loses more here than MS because gaming is Epic's revenue stream, it really isn't MS's.

armubaba

cartman.gif

Lame......

HokieJoe said:
But wouldn't that put Epic in an unusual position to release Gears on the PS3? If they did that it seems MS could say good luck getting those sequels published Epic. I know it would be a lose-lose situation, but I think Epic loses more here than MS because gaming is Epic's revenue stream, it really isn't MS's.

All you guys banging on about moving franchises need to calm down a bit. Neither company has anything to gain by drawing this out. The content will be out once the spat is over.

HokieJoe

The Innocent X said:
All you guys banging on about moving franchises need to calm down a bit. Neither company has anything to gain by drawing this out. The content will be out once the spat is over.

I don't expect it to happen. I'm playing 'what ifs'.

manxor

BigBoss said:
Karma Kramer said:
Dude why don't you just buy an Xbox 360 and play Gears of War now?

Jesus Christ
Gears of War = 1st party published.
MGS4 = 3rd party published.

See how this:
"Why don't people shut the hell up about Ratchet & Clank coming to the Xbox 360"
"Why don't people shut the hell up about Resistance coming to the Xbox 360"
"Why don't people shut the hell up about Heavenly Sword coming to the Xbox 360"
"Why don't people shut the hell up about God of War coming to the Xbox 360"

Doesn't make sense. But this does:
"Why don't people shut the hell up about Devil May Cry 4 coming to the Xbox 360"
"Why don't people shut the hell up about Lost Planet coming to the PS3"

lix2k3

X26 said:
Most companies aren't dumb enough to put themselves in a position where they can be bought out. While it is HIGHLY unlikely, it's nowhere near the impossibility of GT on Xbox, Halo on a sony system, etc.

And how does a company protect itself from a hostile takeover? You saw what EA did to Ubisoft... As much as Epic thinks the ball is in their court due to the IP retention, I wouldn't play around with Microsoft's second most valuable first-party title (soon to be franchise). Although I think MS would prefer to pony up the cash and secure the franchise indefinitely in case there were issues, they would in no way sit back and watch Epic take Gears to a competing platform. How retarded of a business move would it be for MS to allow even the possibility of a first-party title on their platform moving to a rival's console.

DSN2K

thats Profit maximization for you, MS never said they were init for thr good of gamers, or developers for that matter! these Companies like Sony, MS and Nintendo are looking to rape you for what your worth, dont expect free stuff unless it has an alternative motive to convince you to buy something else further down the line.

EPIC and MS so called conflict here is all about how much you get raped now or later and what share, nobody is fighting for you.

Gadeus

This is especially painful news to read, especially considering that my live account needs to be renewed next month. I do expect premium content for the 50 dollars I pay per year for live, which I really haven't been satisfied with. Live is a great service, but it hasn't seemed worth it lately with the micro-transaction hell and the lack of dedicated servers for games. I don't feel like I'm getting a great value for my money.

I'm also going to be furious if new content segregates the player base in Gears, which is currently one of my favorite online multiplayer games. The GRAW additional content ruined the game for me because I basically couldn't participate in games with friends that did have the content.

GHG

Gold Member
This is why Chad Wardinn calls it "Tears of War" :lol

Anyway, MSFT better allow it to be free. I enjoyed the free map pack that came in Jan and I refuse to buy any DLC because of the amount of rape devs think they can get away with because of the people that do buy it.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Damn why is microsoft being greedy...aren't they making enough money from Vista? Getting tired of playing Gridlock and Old Bones :/

Top Bottom