• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS doesn’t want you to have cool DLC for free: Gears,Epic, & gamers get screwed

Vrolokus

Banned
chriskzoo said:
Just a notch below on the "lame" scale was "e" saying "people who leak things just suck" about the Halo 3 leaks. Seriously, who does that leak hurt?

Me and every other non-Chicken Little poster who has to suffer through idiots and trolls fretting about the graphics every time a YouTube-quality work-in-progress video hits?

Though I would agree the talk about Epic is pretty absurd.

swander

chriskzoo said:
Just a notch below on the "lame" scale was "e" saying "people who leak things just suck" about the Halo 3 leaks. Seriously, who does that leak hurt?

People see it in a state it isn't intended to be seen in -> people say it looks shitty -> myth of shitty game perpetuated before launch -> people don't buy

sugaki

I live my life one quarter-mile at a time
With M$ pulling crap like this, I just can't respect em, or hold them in any better regard than Sony. And you know if they grab more marketshare they'll do more stupid crap like this.

mrpogi23

MS should not control Epic's decision... its their game, let them do what they want.

If it was on ps3, they wouldnt have this problem.

chriskzoo

Banned
mrpogi23 said:
MS should not control Epic's decision... its their game, let them do what they want.

If it was on ps3, they wouldnt have this problem.

MS IS the publisher, so they have the right to control distribution of content. In this case, though, it's just hypocritical to say "Well we don't control that decision" when it's content like Guitar Hero 2 for which they are not the publisher and then say "Waaaaah, but we want it free" to chide people that side with Epic on this issue.

To be honest, I think in the long run this is GOOD for gamers. Especially when we see how UT comes out on the PS3 - as long as the graphics hold (they should), we might see Epic jump ship.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
chriskzoo said:
MS IS the publisher, so they have the right to control distribution of content. In this case, though, it's just hypocritical to say "Well we don't control that decision" when it's content like Guitar Hero 2 for which they are not the publisher and then say "Waaaaah, but we want it free" to chide people that side with Epic on this issue.

To be honest, I think in the long run this is GOOD for gamers. Especially when we see how UT comes out on the PS3 - as long as the graphics hold (they should), we might see Epic jump ship.

Would Microsoft really charge for content that Epic potentially makes free on PS3? That'd be bad for Epic's image -- wonder if Epic will be in-between a rock and a hard place on that one.

mood

eXxy said:
Would Microsoft really charge for content that Epic potentially makes free on PS3? That'd be bad for Epic's image -- wonder if Epic will be in-between a rock and a hard place on that one.

Microsoft isnt publishing UT3......

Tieno

eXxy said:
MS doesn't allow charging for content that's free elsewhere.

chriskzoo

Banned
OK, this brings me to another question: How far do IPs extend as far as "similar content." I know that MS owns the Gears franchise, but what would stop Epic from developing a nearly identical game with new models and names for things and just give it a new name so that they can have control over their content?

mood

chriskzoo said:
OK, this brings me to another question: How far do IPs extend as far as "similar content." I know that MS owns the Gears franchise, but what would stop Epic from developing a nearly identical game with new models and names for things and just give it a new name so that they can have control over their content?

MS doesnt own the Gears franchise

FrankT

chriskzoo said:

Epic jump ship, muwhahaahahaha. Do you know what kind of bankroll Gears has done for Epic? I don't think you have the slightest clue. You may fully realize this when Gears of War 2 is announced and of course MS being the publisher. Considering Midway is the publisher of UT3 not MS I really do not see any chance for MS to charge for content for UT3 that is free on the PC or PS3.

Top Bottom