• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS in bed with cable cos for control of your tv/dvr with kinect this holiday? pic

thirty

Banned
friend of mine sent me this. says it appeared shortly after e3 so I can only think of one reason why anyone would really want to use the 360 as a DVR and that would be for use with Kinect. There was another demonstration not too long ago of kinect style technology being used to control TV in a livingroom situation. Changing channels, flipping thru movies and the channel guide. Would make an interesting selling point for the holidays. Could you imagine using the voice recognition during next years NBA finals? "xbox...Kobe" :lol

Narcosis

You know, MS has been talking up this impending marriage of Xbox 360 and IP TV and all sorts of other features like DVR functionality for years now. I'll believe it when I see it come to the marketplace.

thirty

Banned
Narcosis said:
You know, MS has been talking up this impending marriage of Xbox 360 and IP TV and all sorts of other features like DVR functionality for years now. I'll believe it when I see it come to the marketplace.

says the last time this happened was a few months before samsung launched 3d tv. a 3d option appeared and shortly after that espn had a game or 2 in 3d

thirty

Banned
verizon has iptv too and both are gaining subscribers fairly quick as people are sick of regular cable. win win for everyone involved.

SickBoy

The first thought I had about Kinect was that it was that it might not succeed, but it seemed like it could be a tech that Microsoft would do well to license to TV makers.

As for who would use an Xbox as a PVR, probably anyone who wouldn't mind having one in their home. For Microsoft, Sony or whoever, box-as-PVR is a great Trojan horse strategy, Kinect or no...

Rhindle

MS has been trying to push the 360 as an IPTV set top box since 2007 or so. They haven't found many takers, partially because the IPTV market is pretty lousy

This isn't anything new, and certainly isn't Kinect related.

thirty said:
verizon has iptv too and both are gaining subscribers fairly quick as people are sick of regular cable. win win for everyone involved.
Actually, Verizon halted expansion on its fiber service several months ago, due to lack of customer interest.

thirty

Banned
stuff like this doesn't appear in a company's sales system for no reason. MS is going to push kinect hard so it's for one of 2 things. to test it with kinect or to give kinect users the option to fully control their tvs with it. they want the livingroom. give it a month or so before you see it demoed somewhere. you say there were no takers on it since 2007. this technology wasn't available to make it interesting to a tv user in 2007.

C4Lukins

I still find it strange that neither Sony or MS has paired up with a cable company to develop a version of their systems to be used as a cable/ dvr box. It would not be a basic box but if a major cable provider used it as an option where you can upgrade to the PS3/ 360 version for an extra ten to twenty dollars a month it would be an easy way to get more consoles in homes. I guess now that they have so many competitive features with current cable boxes that maybe it would not be as attractive for the providers themselves.

vireland

SickBoy said:
The first thought I had about Kinect was that it was that it might not succeed, but it seemed like it could be a tech that Microsoft would do well to license to TV makers.

As for who would use an Xbox as a PVR, probably anyone who wouldn't mind having one in their home. For Microsoft, Sony or whoever, box-as-PVR is a great Trojan horse strategy, Kinect or no...

It's going to have to get a WHOLE LOT quieter before people will accept it as anything more than a novelty PVR. Our three TiVos are dead silent - conversely, all three of our XBOX 360s sound like various size planes from a distance. No way I'd leave them running to record/download shows, especially in a quiet house (like at night).

jedimike

I currently use my Xbox as a DVR (through media center) so it is an option.

Here's an engadget article about some other cable companies partnering to use gesture technology. The partnering is not with MS, but MS has patents to certain advantages like voice communication.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/23/kinect-tech-destined-for-tv-embedded-greatness-in-2011-htpc-int/

So coach potatoes have to stand up to watch Kinect TV now?

I suppose people like to hang on to FUD, but this rumor has been dispelled many times...

Top Bottom