• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS is near to buy a studio that historically worked together with PlayStation (RUMOR)

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Looks like both Insomniac and Ready at Dawn have been ruled out by leakers. So, I guess it's Supermassive Games.

odhin

Looks like both Insomniac and Ready at Dawn have been ruled out by leakers. So, I guess it's Supermassive Games.

Makes sense. Until Dawn was a very successful game from this generation right? Well, other than the delays and such.

The thing is, they've been working with Sony since the beginning so, again, that "bit" part contradicts this one.

Last edited:

JCK75

IMO they did so much right but just lacked the major exclusive games, this will make a difference.

Gander

Banned
People seem to mention the Sega/Microsoft together a lot, but I don't think a buyout would be good for either party. I'd be willing to stake a decent amount of money on a bet that Xbox is Sega's worst selling platform. It would have made sense when the Dreamcast died, as they could have made the Xbox BC with Dreamcast games and Sega fans would probably have moved over to Microsoft's platform on mass. Now I think it's too late.

SquareEnix would be a massive purchase, and more suitable than Sega, but it still doesn't seem likely to me. Still, I like to see MS being aggressive like this. Just a couple of years ago I would have really been worried for the future of any developer bought by MS, but now I think they have turned a corner and are prepared to support and give resources to anyone they buy. Exciting times!

Sega has operated at a high level at every aspect of the gaming business. They have been developers, publishers and even console makers. They bring a lot of know how and knowledge to the table. If you combine that with MS resources and ambition to gain ground in the Japanese market it makes perfect sense.

Humdinger

Reading some of these replies here and in other threads on Microsoft's acquisitions, are you people seriously going to start up another "console war". That shit was beyond stupid back in the 360/PS3 days. Who gives a fuck what console someone chooses? Exclusives are anti-consumer. I don't understand why you'd be amused or be cheering that some people won't get to play a game because they don't own the system it's on.

I agree with your sentiments, but "start up"? Console wars have been going on since the dawn of time. Fanboys and console warriors are commonplace in many discussions.

I can detect it pretty easily. Those people/posts are immediately discredited in my eyes.

Last edited:
Because people don't do research

I'm aware they're owned, but money is the ultimate leverage in the end. Like with the way Eidos and Square is lately I could see them spinning them off (not necessarily to MS). Or Paradox getting Whitewolf from CCP. It's more of a pipe dream/fantasy with From. But I like to imagine things like that. Microsoft is thinking big so it doesn't hurt to think outside the box.

Last edited:

Chrisdk

Note that Klobrille said that he "chose his words carefully," and his words were "historically worked with Playstation a bit." "Historically worked with" suggests a past involvement, not current/recent, and "a bit" suggests limited rather than extensive involvement. That would probably rule out many of the suggestions offered in the thread (e.g., Quantic Dream, Housemarque, Blue Point). Personally, I'd love to see them snatch up Supermassive, but they've worked with Sony extensively and recently, so I don't see them fitting Klobrille's language, either.

It does sound like it could be a studio that worked with Sony back in the PS2 or PS3 days. Also the “a bit” part sounds like it might have been one or two games or maybe even some porting work.

Keiji84

Banned
First off, its, "get bought." Second, its not that MS cant afford it. We know they absolutely could. Probably more that they didn't want it.

Thank you for the correction, english isn't my first language :messenger_grinning_smiling:. Back to the thread, the only good studio that MS bought was Ninja Theory. So I guess they don't like buying good studios. So yes I guess they didn't want Insomniac and Quantic Dream. And Insomniac and Quantic Dream probably don't want it too.

Last edited:

Chrisdk

Thank you for the correction, english isn't my first language :messenger_grinning_smiling:. Back to the thread, the only good studio that MS bought was Ninja Theory. So I guess they don't like buying good studios. So yes I guess they didn't want Insomniac and Quantic Dream. And Insomniac and Quantic Dream probably don't want it too.

Lol the salt. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Humdinger

It does sound like it could be a studio that worked with Sony back in the PS2 or PS3 days. Also the “a bit” part sounds like it might have been one or two games or maybe even some porting work.

There are probably a lot of companies that fit that description -- that worked "a bit" with Sony in the past. That's got to be a long list.

Rogas

Banned

Quantic Dream are complete garbage, I speak for all Xbox fans when I say Sony can keep that trash heap.

Keiji84

Banned
Lol the salt. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I notice that Neogaf change a little from what I remember years ago. There are a lot of more "hate", "console wars", "trolling", "salt word dropped". The environment is more toxic and juvenile. What happened to the old members ? :messenger_ghost: They left because of the ambiance ?

Quantic Dream are complete garbage, I speak for all Xbox fans when I say Sony can keep that trash heap.

You see ! This is what I'm talking about. This toxic "hate". I can change the sentence "I speak for all Xbox fans" to "I speak for all Xbox fanboys". :messenger_medmask:
Detroit Become Human is one the best game ever. But you got this "juvenile hate", I can't find the word for it. :messenger_sleeping:

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I notice that Neogaf change a little from what I remember years ago. There are a lot of more "hate", "console wars", "trolling", "salt word dropped". The environment is more toxic and juvenile. What happened to the old members ? :messenger_ghost: They left because of the ambiance ? You see ! This is what I'm talking about. This toxic "hate". I can change the sentence "I speak for all Xbox fans" to "I speak for all Xbox fanboys". :messenger_medmask:
Detroit Become Human is one the best game ever. But you got this "juvenile hate", I can't find the word for it. :messenger_sleeping: And this too. It was a time were people was writing sentence. Now you got 8 years old who just say "Lol". :messenger_die:

List of things that also qualify as juvenile:
  • Using the word toxic to dismiss ideas you don't like about video games
  • Calling people 8 year olds because they use a popular acronym
  • Calling someone a fanboy because they hate a game you love
You're just as bad as anyone you're calling out.

Also, let's be realistic, Detroit isn't even in the top 250 games ever made. It's barely a game.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
And this too. There was a time where people was writing sentence. Now you got 8 years old who just say "Lol". :messenger_die:
I'm not even english and I got more vocabulary.
Lol

You do sound salty, breh. And, no. No you don't have more of a vocabulary. I can guarantee it.

Either way any studio not owned exclusively has a chance to owned - even ones we don't think have a chance. Yes, Microsoft can afford them, there's no question about that. What matters is if it makes financial sense and how it benefits both parties. That's what talks are all about.

Keiji84

Banned
Also, let's be realistic, Detroit isn't even in the top 250 games ever made. It's barely a game.

Damn you people have really bad taste. I was right you guys must be too young. :messenger_neutral:
The old neogaf was more mature.

Okay I will leave this toxic place, it's not what I expected to be. :messenger_smiling:
But at the end of the day don't forget : try to leave your mama's house, don't be a virgin anymore and stay strong despite Xbox always losing. It's just video games and companies with billion. :messenger_winking:

I have with billion all the time. I bet I have more with billion than you. I hear virgins only have with 200k.

Also don't go after the 8 year old boys, I am police and you will be arrested...yesss...

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Damn you people have really bad taste. I was right you guys must be too young. :messenger_neutral:

Okay I will leave this toxic place, it's not what I expected to be. :messenger_smiling:
But at the end of the day don't forget : try to leave your mama's house, don't be a virgin anymore and stay strong despite Xbox always losing. It's just video games and companies with billion.:messenger_winking:

I have a PS4 Pro, not an Xbox, and I thought Detroit was alright for what it was, but fine. If you thought the story in that game was remotely deep, you could do with reading a few more books. It's like something written by a high school student. Androids on the back of buses? Such a powerful metaphor. Oh look, he sings a slave song at the end. What a stroke of genius. Such nuance.

Get over yourself and stop acting so pretentious.

Rogas

Banned

But at the end of the day don't forget : try to leave your mama's house, don't be a virgin anymore and stay strong despite Xbox always losing. It's just video games and companies with billion. :messenger_winking:

You see, this is what we call a loser ladies and gentlemen.

As someone who played Indigo Prophecy back in the day and loved it, bought Heavy Rain day one and enjoyed it, Redbox'd Beyond Two Souls and felt meh towards it, I think I'm fine with Sony staying buddies with Quantic Dream. Ninja Theory did an awesome job with Hellblade as far as a narrative story driven game. So I'd prefer another studio over QD

Humdinger

You might want to stick around and give it a little more time. Check out other threads that aren't as vulnerable to the fanboys and console warrior types. Every forum has them. The secret is fast recognition of the type, followed by immediate dismissal of anything they say. Learn to separate the wheat from the chaff quickly, and you'll have a more pleasant experience.

Last edited:

Chrisdk

There are probably a lot of companies that fit that description -- that worked "a bit" with Sony in the past. That's got to be a long list.

Yeah, just think you are right because of the way Klobrille worded it. A lot of people are mentioning studios that have worked with Sony this gen.

Also a lot of people are mentioning studios that are way bigger than “mid-sized”.

I think the rumored studio might not have been namedropped here yet.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I have a PS4 Pro, not an Xbox, and I thought Detroit was alright for what it was, but fine. If you thought the story in that game was remotely deep, you could do with reading a few more books. It's like something written by a high school student. Androids on the back of buses? Such a powerful metaphor. Oh look, he sings a slave song at the end. What a stroke of genius. Such nuance.

Get over yourself and stop acting so pretentious.

That story was like a third of the overall narrative, and definitely not the most interesting part of the game as whole. The whole plot was very tropey, but that's not a bad thing. The mismatched buddy-cop scenario is just as well-worn and that I felt worked really well, Bryan Dechart's performance as Connor was no question one of the best of the year.

What pissed me off about the reaction to Detroit was the media-types harping on about the "back of the bus" thing as if Black Americans have some sort of monopoly on systematic oppression. Particularly when the climax of the story is more reminiscent of the internment of Japanese Americans and pointedly Nazi extermination camps during the Holocaust. But of course no of these fake-as-fuck "woke" types got in QD's shit about exploiting Jews and Asians in telling their story.

Reading some of these replies here and in other threads on Microsoft's acquisitions, are you people seriously going to start up another "console war". That shit was beyond stupid back in the 360/PS3 days. Who gives a fuck what console someone chooses? Exclusives are anti-consumer. I don't understand why you'd be amused or be cheering that some people won't get to play a game because they don't own the system it's on.

I don't see Sony surrendering their exclusives. So the fact that you are bashing Microsoft for increasing theirs makes your opinions suspect at best.

Looking like it's Housemarque or RAD...either of which would be a good get for Microsoft to build with.

Still waiting for Microsoft to bring out the big guns though and purchase a name developer with a huge cache of IPs...like Sega or Capcom. Either would be a massive pickup, though the former has a treasure trove of unused IPs waiting to be resurrected and exploited for commercial gain.

Top Bottom