• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS not mandating any framerate or fidelity requirements on Scorpio including in MP

It does seem wasteful, especially since only a small portion of the base will have a use for the disc. But multidisk games aren't unheard of.

Didn't MCC require you to download part of the game since they couldn't fit it onto 1 disc? Has there been any multi-disc games this gen?

Trup1aya

Didn't MCC require you to download part of the game since they couldn't fit it onto 1 disc? Has there been any multi-disc games this gen?

The last multidisc game I remember is BF4, but just the 360 version iirc.

MCC had a 20gig day1 patch (ironically, to download the MP component- which didn't work for months)

I can't wait to be screaming vulgarities at the lowly Base XBOne-ers as I squash them in every multiplayer game with my Scorpio advantage!

Double the FPS, double the skill! 60fps might as well be named God Mode! Oh hell yeah!

(This post is a joke. The purpose is to expose the ridiculousness of some of the panic over lack of parity. Arbitrary parity rules are, and always have been, legit bullshit. This is a great move by MS and hopefully devastated follow suit with Pro support as well.)

Fisty

I can't wait to be screaming vulgarities at the lowly Base XBOne-ers as I squash them in every multiplayer game with my Scorpio advantage!

Double the FPS, double the skill! 60fps might as well be named God Mode! Oh hell yeah!

(This post is a joke. The purpose is to expose the ridiculousness of some of the panic over lack of parity. Arbitrary parity rules are, and always have been, legit bullshit. This is a great move by MS and hopefully devastated follow suit with Pro support as well.)

You "joke" but this is the first generation where there are real hardware advantages on certain consoles. Some people don't like that, and some people don't want to spend money on a new console every 3 years to stay competitive. So far the differences on PS4 Pro multiplayer have been small res bumps or less dropped frames. Some people are concerned when we are talking about 4 times the pixels or twice the frames as an advantage. People have always had to deal with that on PC, but it has never been an issue on console multiplayer games. We can continue on as if having twice the framerate as a similarly skilled player wouldn't give you an advantage, or we can recognize that there is a legitimate discussion to be had here.

KageMaru

You "joke" but this is the first generation where there are real hardware advantages on certain consoles. Some people don't like that, and some people don't want to spend money on a new console every 3 years to stay competitive. So far the differences on PS4 Pro multiplayer have been small res bumps or less dropped frames. Some people are concerned when we are talking about 4 times the pixels or twice the frames as an advantage. People have always had to deal with that on PC, but it has never been an issue on console multiplayer games. We can continue on as if having twice the framerate as a similarly skilled player wouldn't give you an advantage, or we can recognize that there is a legitimate discussion to be had here.

It's a legitimate discussion but not a legitimate issue. There are so many factors that could give someone an advantage that pointing to one aspect alone as a huge problem is silly. Anyone that cares about any minor advantage will likely be buying one, otherwise someone on an OG XBO won't be able to tell who's on Scorpio and who's not.

These framerate gaps have existed on the PC for years without causing so much concern. Not too long ago MS enabled console vs PC on Gears 4 and there wasn't concerns over a PC user playing at 100fps vs 60 on console.

Not really sure what you're getting at after this post and your other ones downplaying 4K textures. You think it would be better for MS to put limitations on Scorpio and force devs to use lower resolution textures?

Fisty

It's a legitimate discussion but not a legitimate issue. There are so many factors that could give someone an advantage that pointing to one aspect alone as a huge problem is silly. Anyone that cares about any minor advantage will likely be buying one, otherwise someone on an OG XBO won't be able to tell who's on Scorpio and who's not.

These framerate gaps have existed on the PC for years without causing so much concern. Not too long ago MS enabled console vs PC on Gears 4 and there wasn't concerns over a PC user playing at 100fps vs 60 on console.

Not really sure what you're getting at after this post and your other ones downplaying 4K textures. You think it would be better for MS to put limitations on Scorpio and force devs to use lower resolution textures?

Gears 4 only has crossplay between cooperative modes afaik. Its competitive modes is where the issue presents itself. KB+M versus controller users bring up the same issue, which MS has even addressed in the past.

Also, I never downplayed 4K textures, I just said that MS's delivery method of those textures are not going to be ideal in any scenario.

Gears has crossplay in social competitive modes.
Gears will get crossplay in every competitive mode with the ability (for xbox player only) to be matched with xbox one player only if they want and set the switch that way in matchmaking

No one is denying more fps is an advantage. Just, that it's unfair, the only advantage / disadvantage situation, or the biggest advantage / disadvantage situation

KageMaru

Gears 4 only has crossplay between cooperative modes afaik. Its competitive modes is where the issue presents itself. KB+M versus controller users bring up the same issue, which MS has even addressed in the past.

Also, I never downplayed 4K textures, I just said that MS's delivery method of those textures are not going to be ideal in any scenario.

No, they had tests before where Xbox and PC gamers can play against each and added it fully into the game for unranked matches. Ranked CMP is coming later this year actually.

We don't even know their delivery, so I'm not sure where you're getting at again. I would think anyone buying a Scorpio will want 4K textures when 4K is one of the selling points of the system. It's not a problem on PC but would suddenly be on consoles? You also mention the press not being too kind to the process. You totally lost me there. If a game has 4K textures for the PC, there is no reason not to include them for the Scorpio version as well.

Gears 4 has crossplay in competitive modes as well, and there really isn't a drastic difference. It has actually been a big success. But keep on trucking.

Thanks for bunch of people that never ever plan to buy Xbone complaining about this news.
But you know what, i can bet most of Xbone owners don't care anyway.

Gearless

Neo Member

Your dislike for MS is too obvious, why talk about a company you don't like?

geordiemp

I doubt it will be a standard in every game but I bet it happens much more often than you think it will.

MS is pushing Scorpio way harder than Sony pushed/pushes Pro.

Jaguar will bring your dreams crashing back to reality, but keep taking the pills lol

So let's say Ubi wants to make FarCry 5 30fps on Xbox One and PS4 and 60fps on Scorpio and Pro but probably with some cuts in visual department. They are allowed that?

Should mean Bungie can make Destiny MP 60fps,but yeah, they already confirmed 30 for all consoles right?

All that matters to me now is getting a release date. Bravo to MS for endorsing hardware advantages, which have always existed on PC, and bringing console gaming to a new level with Scorpio. I really hope Sony smartens up and follows suit

Top Bottom