• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS PR: 360 sold 67M consoles; $56 billion in sales, almost 50% market share

Microsoft's CMO Yusuf Mehdi has posted on the official Microsoft blog via Technet the updated figures for Xbox 360 sales since the console's launch in 2005 as a part of the company's pre-E3 report.

According to Mehdi: "Since 2005 – when we launched Xbox 360 – we have sold 67 million consoles and have generated more than $56 billion at retail, and we’re still going strong in our seventh year. With 47% share of the current-generation console market, we are hitting our stride largely as a result of the success of Kinect for Xbox 360 (19 million sold ) and the flood of new entertainment options through Xbox LIVE (40 million members)."

Mehdi went on to point to the home entertainment integration of the Xbox 360 as one of the system's successes, adding "Sales for Xbox 360 in year five were greater than in year four, sales in year six were greater than in year five, and sales in year seven were greater than in year six."

As for what to expect for Microsoft's E3 press conference, Mehdi didn't provide many hints, simply stating: "We’ll unveil new games, show new ways to enjoy the entertainment you love and, as always, we’ll have a few surprises to share."

http://www.strategyinformer.com/new...x-360-lifetime-sales-claiming-47-market-share

Original Xbox to this...kudos.

Arnie

My favourite console of this generation. Hope Microsoft build on everything for next generation, although I'm sure Xbox Live in itself will bring a lot of people over regardless. This really is a different scenario in terms of generational transitions because players really are invested in the service itself, not just a superficial investment in a brand name, which as we saw doesn't mean a lot.

47%? I'm not much on the figures but I thought Wii was around the 80million and PS3 not far behind (EDIT: not far behind 360 figures)?

Or is that the US market alone?

H3xum

Wow, that's staggering

There goes my last hope that they'd be talking about 720 at E3. I know they announced they wouldn't, but, I was still holding out for it

StevieP

Banned
47%? I'm not much on the figures but I thought Wii was around the 80million and PS3 not far behind?

Or is that the US market alone?

Must be the US market they're referring to, or just based on quarterlies or something. Wii's around 98m worldwide and the PS3 isn't far behind that figure.

Rootbeer

Banned
I still do not own a 360; it is the only current-gen platform I haven't adopted. I think the exclusive games on the PS3 suit me better than the 360 exclusives, while for multiplatform games I almost always chose PC.

I think that if I preferred shooters I'd probably have a 360, but since they aren't my thing I can safely do without an XBox. I will be carefully considering one for next gen, since I feel they are going to eat more share at the rate things are going, and attact more exclusives.

Miles X

It's their average monthly marketshare in the US. Can't be anything worldwide or country specific lifetime, Wii is still 1st in every country. Can't be PS3 Vs 360 WW, 360 is ahead 3.3m.

Anyway, good job!

Tagg9

This doesn't make sense either based on their "current generation console market" line. Why would they trump the 360 in a PR release and say it's sold worse than their main competitor? Seems weird.

It's clearly a comparison between 360 vs PS3 vs Wii.

Miles X

Interesting (perhaps sad for some :p) to note Kinect could sell more in 2 years~ on the market than Xbox and Gamecube did lifetime.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
47% does not compute? regardless of how you look at it.
47% Wii & the rest to PS3/360 with 360 being a few percentage higher is more realistic.

1) That wouldn't make any sense, because 47% would be bragging about losing
2) Isn't the 360 still nominally ahead in shipments worldwide?

By about 3 million.

I think Dynopia had it right: their average monthly marketshare for 2012 in the US. It's the only thing that shakes out.

Worldwide Wii is at about 42% of the total market, while 360 and PS3 are at 30 and 28, respectively.

pretty misleading for that CMO to cite global worldwide numbers for total sales then immediately follow it up with U.S.- only numbers for marketshare percentage in the same sentence.

shills doing what shills do I guess...

Evlar

Banned
Maybe it's 360 vs Wii vs PS3, software unit sales, US only? That at least is both plausible and something worth bragging about. I dunno, it's opaque.

You can edit the title if you want Stumpokapow if you feel it's not accurate. It seems everyone is fixating on that one line.

No Shipment update or anything contained here.

I'm wondering how they get year 7 sales rising though? Anybody can help? I thought the last few months have seen YoY decreases in both USA and presumably world?

November 2011 would have marked six years, I dont see how they're claiming YoY increases in "year 7". Either in NPD or WW shipments. Speaking of this graph:

7776.clip_5F00_image001_5F00_4E0B5D0C.png

Edit: I think I see. Each year is a data point. 2005=1, 6=2, 7=3, 8=4, 9=5, 10=6, so 2011 on the chart was "year 7", and yes, 360 sales in 2011 were highest yet. 2012=year8=will see a dip most likely going by the first few months.

Miles X

No Shipment update or anything contained here.

I'm wondering how they get year 7 sales rising though? Anybody can help? I thought the last few months have seen YoY decreases in both USA and presumably world?

November 2011 would have marked six years, I dont see how they're claiming YoY increases in "year 7". Either in NPD or WW shipments. Speaking of this graph:

7776.clip_5F00_image001_5F00_4E0B5D0C.png

Yr 7 was last year, that graph doesn't contain anything from this year.

Dragon

Banned
Too bad 30 million or so were just replacements for faulty units in the first place.

I haven't seen this argument in a while. I don't think it's been missed.

Also even if your "facts" were true they'd be irrelevant. No one cared when tons of Sony PS2s/PS1s broke down, no one really cares about the 360 hardware issues when we're talking about sales.

Miles X

Too bad 30 million or so were just replacements for faulty units in the first place.

30? Are you kidding .. I hope you are! RROD was well under control by the time they hit 30m install base. And they don't count replacement units on top of units sold.

Meier

I assume in terms of software sales, not hardware.

For all its failings for many of us, the Wii has sold the most software as well hasn't it? Even if it hasn't, it's very, very close to the Xbox which would of course completely negate any chance of validity for this figure.

The 47% is obviously a very fine-tuned number -- this year only in the US seems feasible given the circumstances.

Top Bottom