• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS promises to bring more first party games to PC

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I really hope they don't attempt to create their own service again. I was pleasantly surprised when they brought games like Mark of the Ninja to Steam sans GFWL.

Josh7289

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see Forza on PC. And not Forza 5 on PC when Forza 6 is almost out. I mean Forza 5 on PC within months of Forza 5 on Xbox One.

Cyrano

Isn't the game already running on PC?

I don't really see MS supporting the PC unless the XB1 runs out of gas halfway through the console generation.
Yes, Killer Instinct is natively a PC game being ported to the XBone, but that's most games today. A lot of games now use a cross-compatible engine in order to make games that are both easy to demo and easy to modify and port (basically, making it easy to bug-fix and release updates).

The strange, rare exceptions to these are typically homebrew games which require an emulator or hardware to run (Dreamcast and Sega Genesis seemingly being the most popular of past hardware formats to release homebrew on).

Truespeed

And they'll only run on Windows 8. They just never learn. I see Halo Spartan Assault is still only available on Windows 8. Yeah, they're serious this time.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Steam without additional DRM or "services" or GTFO.
After the GFWL fiasco you'd better tread lightly, motherfuckers.

Darmik

I'm pretty sure he means games like Halo: Spartan Assault. Not Xbox One ports...

Or having Xbox Live marketplace and apps on your PC and smartphone which supports your Xbox One. I really, really don't think he's referring to porting full retail games to places like Steam or even Games for Windows Live. If the Surface won't play it I doubt they will make it.

LCGeek

formerly sane
There is always a catch and it won't be parity with their consoles. Sorry no need MS, not going to be the hand me down child in the family when I'm paying for it.

It is still mind-boggling to me that after all this time, they still haven't ported over Halo 3 to Windows, and similarly did an absolutely abysmal job with the PC port of Halo 2.

jns

Hey guys, I just upgraded to win 8.1. Can someone fill me in on why buying games through the windows game store is a bad thing? Are there actual technical limitations on what kind of games can go in there? Or is it just a case of "Not Steam DRM so I don't want to play it?"

Genuine question from a new user of 8.1

Cheers.

vazel

Banned
It's not the first time Microsoft has made a commitment to PC gaming since the 360 was released. I'm not believing it until I see good results.

SparkTR

Hey guys, I just upgraded to win 8.1. Can someone fill me in on why buying games through the windows game store is a bad thing? Are there actual technical limitations on what kind of games can go in there? Or is it just a case of "Not Steam DRM so I don't want to play it?"

Genuine question from a new user of 8.1

Cheers.

Look at how Microsoft handled GFWL and other failed/outdated services. If I buy something from Valve, I feel safe about my purchase and I'd expect my tenure with them to get better as time goes on. If I buy something from Microsoft I expect to lose access to that purchase before the generation is over, and I expect to jump through frustrating hoops as time goes on because they can't get their shit together.

Quasar

Certainly I've long wanted this, even if there was a slight delay to encourage console sales ala Ubisoft and games like AC.

The thing is of course there just isn't much of a 1st party Microsoft left. Aside from the Forza and Halo teams I'm not sure there is much in the way of first party games that I'd want to see on PC.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
For people getting their hopes up. This is MS's various statements on their promise to PC gaming.

Sorry, but all MS is doing is blowing smoke up the ass of gullible people. So yea go ahead and get your hopes up and get excited. In a year or two when none of what they say comes to fruition...I'll pretend to act shocked.

my favourite: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404721

SparkTR

It's not the first time Microsoft has made a commitment to PC gaming since the 360 was released. I'm not believing it until I see good results.

Though this is the first time since Jason Holtman has been at Microsoft. I wouldn't be surprised if the Steamworks integration of former GFWL games was his influence.

Quasar

Well the whole WinRT framework that Windows Store apps isn't as mature as Win32, so you don't actually see much in the way of heavy software. Its mostly Windows Phone stuff ported.

At this point I don't know if WinRT is at the stage that you could build as fully featured games as you can as with Win32. I guess this will change in time. After all MS making a full office for the Windows Store.

M_A_C

Good, I have a bunch of MS spacebucks and I don't plan on getting an Xbone. There isn't anything worth getting on the Windows 8 app store right now.

Fredrik

Hmm maybe I don't need an xbox one...
First party XB1 titles with better framerates, higher resolution, same controller, free online. Interesting!
But... I get that it's mostly the games and not the console that's printing money, so it might make sense to them to do it. But I honestly think it's a dumb move. This is similar to Nintendo releasing DS games on smart phones. It only make their hardware seem less desirable and in the end not even worth having and they'll eventually become just another third party dev. Iwata fully understands this judging by the recent interview. I'm not sure about MS though.

The great thing with them fucking up GfWL so many years with so many broken promises and so little mainteance work being done on it, is that they have pretty much zero chance to gain any momentum for any similiar service they might want to build in the future. So it was a blessing in a really ugly disguise that they tormented us with GfWL all this time.

NoPiece

For people getting their hopes up. This is MS's various statements on their promise to PC gaming.

Sorry, but all MS is doing is blowing smoke up the ass of gullible people. So yea go ahead and get your hopes up and get excited. In a year or two when none of what they say comes to fruition...I'll pretend to act shocked.

YES! The irony of this coming right after the GFWL Marketplace shutdown is incredible. I just tried to play Flight today and can't install any of the DLC I bought a year ago. That's how you burn bridges with your customers...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
All that shit I said three years ago is still 100% true: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25070170&postcount=265

Except we have three more years of broken promises from MS. Nobody believes the stuff they say anymore. Makes you wonder why they bother saying it.

Apparently that thread wasn't mod-vetted. I'll give brain_stew the benefit of the doubt and assume he was in touch with someone at Microsoft, but I don't think there was ever a genuine intention to improve GFWL.

Microsoft has a long history of supporting PC gamers.

It just ends in 2004.

• The DirectX initiative - remember how frustrating it used to be to set up devices for each individual PC game on DOS?
  • Flight Simulator series and it's spinoff Combat Flight Simulator
  • The Age of Empires series plus the spin Age of Mythlogy
  • Rise of Nations and Rise of Legends - two very underrated RTS
  • The Close Combat Series
  • Starlancer and Freelancer

See, none of these games were console ports. I don't necessarily hate console style games on PC but I do prefer games that are developed with PC's in mind. Microsoft hasn't released a game of the sort in seven years.

Momentary

Banned
Sony is even showing interest in getting their games on the PC somehow. I feel like in 5 more years things are going to get exciting.

My favorite is this just before the much hyped GFWL / Marketplace relaunch:

http://news.bigdownload.com/2010/10...indows-marketplace-to-relaunch-as-web-site-n/

Over 100 games will be available to purchase on the site and more will be added every week. Indeed, Orullian strongly hinted that there will be some more interesting PC game announcements and reveals when Games For Windows Marketplace launches on November 15.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/22/games-for-windows-marketplace-gets-competitive-relaunching-nov-15/

"Definitely you should show up on day one, because we're going to have a great pre-order on a title you may care about," he added.

I don't remember if it was this forum, but people started saying "holy shit, MS is relaunching GFWL, I bet they are bringing to PC some big games to make an impression, it's going to be either Halo 3 or Gears of War 2, OMG yessssssssss!!!"

And what was the November 15 announcement? Nothing. No game was available for preorder that day. The only game MS made available for preorder was Fable 3 and that wasn't until 5 months after November 15 so... just another empty promise to hype people.

Nzyme32

This thread is incredible. The thing that stands out the most to me is that all this non answer rubbish happening regarding pc, also now occurs with the xbox brand even post 180 with all this frame rate and resolution stuff. I have absolutely no faith left in them. I hope the new CEO really shakes things up. It's gonna take more than a decade for them to earn my trust again

JLeack

Banned
Seriously? This is the company that tried to introduce a monthly user fee for P2P play on PC.

And Sony compromised our credit card information.

So what?

I'm at least going to let Microsoft design and release their product. Once it's out then I'll judge.

Grief.exe

And Sony compromised our credit card information.

So what?

I'm at least going to let Microsoft design and release their product. Once it's out then I'll judge.

Did Sony make the conscious decision to release your credit card information to hackers?

Microsoft has a long history of supporting PC gamers.

It just ends in 2004.

• The DirectX initiative - remember how frustrating it used to be to set up devices for each individual PC game on DOS?
  • Flight Simulator series and it's spinoff Combat Flight Simulator
  • The Age of Empires series plus the spin Age of Mythlogy
  • Rise of Nations and Rise of Legends - two very underrated RTS
  • The Close Combat Series
  • Starlancer and Freelancer

See, none of these games were console ports. I don't necessarily hate console style games on PC but I do prefer games that are developed with PC's in mind. Microsoft hasn't released a game of the sort in seven years.

The XBOX initiative really spelled the end of their PC gaming focus with PC styled games. It was probably the worst thing to happen to PC Gaming at the time along with the move of traditional AAA PC Devs/publishers (Epic Games et al.) to focus almost exclusively on console development. Or probably the best, since out of the ashes rose Steam (which was actually pretty reviled at the time and mocked endlessly upon release with the HL2 BS), and MS abandoning and promptly disregarding the platform for gaming was what allowed Steam to rise in its place in the first place.

So many haters on this board. What in the heck?

Not hate, just distrust based on track record.Trust is earned, Microsoft will have to work hard for it.

The XBOX initiative really spelled the end of their PC gaming focus with PC styled games. It was probably the worst thing to happen to PC Gaming at the time. Or probably the best, since out of the ashes rose Steam (which was actually pretty reviled at the time and mocked endlessly upon release with the HL2 BS), and MS abandoning and promptly disregarding the platform for gaming was what allowed Steam to rise in its place in the first place.

It would be deliciously ironic if Microsoft's neglect ends up being the catalyst for PC gaming's escape from Windows.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So many haters on this board. What in the heck?

Read this:

Now do you see why people are reluctant to buy into what MS is selling?

Top Bottom