• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS teasing XNA successor for Build 2013 Day 2 keynote. (it's Unity)

ekim

I made a recording:
http://youtu.be/qdpAM4GV6oU

Steven Guggenheimer just hinted at something in the Build livestream for tomorrow.
Quote (not accurate):
Interviewer: "What about XNA?"
Guggenheimer: "We will talk about games tomorrow at the keynote - I won't say XNA. We will have something that you will like... let's tease it that way"

might be related to this:
untitled0goh8.png

phanboy4

Will be interesting to see what they come up with, and if it was worth completely killing XNA off for. Say what you will, XNA was popular and easy to use, and people liked it and invested in it.

If they put indies in the Win8 partition of the Xbone, that would suck...
Why? They would be as fine as they're on Apple Store or Google Play. It all comes down to what the APIs will allow them to do, and that's not the kind of games needing to push the hardware too hard. And if this means I can fire up Visual Studio and build whatever I want to be published on Xbox One, it would be soooo awesome.

I'd hope Microsoft would not drop support for it this time, but little confidence in that.
If the Windows Store theory proves true, it would mean that they didn't drop it just for the sake of it, but it was part of a strategy on phasing to a different environment.

Seems like indies have shifted away from XNA and have been using Unity more and more. Makes sense, given it's multiplatform compatibility and that it's going to be supported for the foreseeable future. Too little, too late MS.

Given the multiplatform indie friendly stuff like unity out there I wonder if they will still lock whatever this is to MS platforms.

Even Sony allowed developers to port there PhyreEngine to xbox and PC and whatnot and didnt make it difficult like MS did when devs wanted to bring XNA games to PSN.

I hope MS takes the open approach this time.

lefantome

If they put indies in the Win8 partition of the Xbone, that would suck...

Thismis what we will get imho and it will sucks. Indie games must be on par with any other game and not all the game s must be accepted if they want to create a profitable market for indies.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I wouldn't use any engine or code base that tethers me just to one group of platforms these days, but well have to see what they got tomorrow.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Today's keynote was sort of tame from a developer's point of view. The only thing that got me hyped was the Bing API. That demo was incredible. However, I expected something related to X1 app development, which didn't happen. I hope tomorrow's keynote comes through.

I wonder if this will turn into something that allows successful games to get on the X1 after it has shown itself to be successful on Windows 8? Maybe not as great as self-publishing, but it is enticing to those that want to be on the platform. MS would also benefit from the additional Windows 8 support.

ekim

I wonder if this will turn into something that allows successful games to get on the X1 after it has shown itself to be successful on Windows 8? Maybe not as great as self-publishing, but it is enticing to those that want to be on the platform. MS would also benefit from the additional Windows 8 support.

My guess is still, that the Windows store will also be opened to the Xbone.

CookTrain

My guess is still, that the Windows store will also be opened to the Xbone.

Not only do I agree, I would wager it's not just for games either. Keeping the design conceits of live tiles and snapped panels and such... I'd be very surprised if it wasn't the whole kit and kaboodle.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Who's going to invest time in learning / adapting to a new framework when Microsoft have a habit of allowing competitive internal organization issues kill off such frameworks far too quickly?

XNA, WPF, Silverlight, there's a pattern that has been hard for developers to ignore.

Not only does any XNA replacement need to be compelling, but the support and importantly the longevity of it needs to be there too, otherwise the developers that have moved on to 3rd party frameworks (i.e SharpDX, Monogame, Unity, Delta Engine etc.) are going to stay on those frameworks.

That said, if it's C# based I'll be all over it, but I do know a few ex-XNA developers personally that will be very wary of investing resources in a replacement this time around.

I'll bet that there will be a new XBLIG ghetto that requires you to fit in Windows 8 Store's limits without having any compatability with Windows 8.

Dramos

I hope we will see XNA's successor tomorrow. So far, I like what MS has done with the changes to the Windows platform!

Ooh shit .Net probably means restricted access to hardware.
I want native access so i can have a reason to get an X1 then games alone.
I need have more experience using C++ come on make it happen tomorrow ms my $499 is already put aside.

XNA was really handy this gen, but aren't Indies moving on to Unity?

Yes that is why they need to give native and full access to the hardware and it make porting code that much easier.
Just have your update loop separated from the OS stuff.

link1201

Today's keynote was sort of tame from a developer's point of view. The only thing that got me hyped was the Bing API. That demo was incredible. However, I expected something related to X1 app development, which didn't happen. I hope tomorrow's keynote comes through.

I had the same thought.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I have to wonder if they do announce a successor to XNA, will we see the same support and devotion Indie's are showing towards Sony.

Not in the same way, no. The appeal of developing for PS4 is that you already have a similar architecture for PC games, and it's fast and easy to port over a game. If MS goes the XNA route, devs will have to retrofit or build their games from the ground up using the XNA base, which is quite the opposite of easy. :p

Windows App sales have been far from good, so I don't see a lot of devs dropping their preferred engine that can export to multiple platforms to an XNA like base that only works on Windows and Xbox.

Maybe a few years from now, if the WinApp store takes off and Xbox sells a bunch of consoles.

CookTrain

I have to wonder if they do announce a successor to XNA, will we see the same support and devotion Indie's are showing towards Sony.

Almost certainly not, for various reasons... the biggest of which would be the high probability that the games that go through this new system will probably remain segregated away from the "real" games in the allegedly combined XBLA/GoD section.

SPDIF

Not in the same way, no. The appeal of developing for PS4 is that you already have a similar architecture for PC games, and it's fast and easy to port over a game. If MS goes the XNA route, devs will have to retrofit or build their games from the ground up using the XNA base, which is quite the opposite of easy. :p

Windows App sales have been far from good, so I don't see a lot of devs dropping their preferred engine that can export to multiple platforms to an XNA like base that only works on Windows and Xbox.

Maybe a few years from now, if the WinApp store takes off and Xbox sells a bunch of consoles.

Unity support for Windows Store games is coming.

http://unity3d.com/beta/windowsstoreapps

Duxxy3

Doesn't XNA have something to do with why the 360 controller is the default PC controller?

Maybe this is how the xbox one controller becomes the new default?

XNA let anyone develop on their regular console and publish practically any game they wanted for a 99$ fee. It was quite an advancement

It is an better solution then what sony has right now if it mean we get full access to hardware and can use native code. Here you can use your own retail box from what i understand with sony you need to get an expensive devkit or pit your game concept to sony so they will sponsor you. Hope sony also has such an solution given how they have/had better tools couple of months ago if im not mistaken.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
It is an better solution then what sony has right now if it mean we get full access to hardware and can use native code. Here you can use your own retail box from what i understand with sony you need to get an expensive devkit or pit your game concept to sony so they will sponsor you.

Sony gives out loaner dev kits for devs that need them, whether your game is exclusive or not.

That's probably about Project Spark.

And I don't think Ms needs another XNA right now... For enthusiastics and beginners Project Spark hits the "anyone can makes games" mantra much better than XNA ever could. For indies who are already developers, Ms also has a framework where they can use pretty much any engine available today, as well write their own code to talk directly to directX... Both are better suited tools for their audience than XNA would be.

ekim

That's probably about Project Spark.

And I don't think Ms needs another XNA right now... For enthusiastics and beginners Project Spark hits the "anyone can makes games" mantra much better than XNA ever could. For indies who are already developers, Ms also has a framework where they can use pretty much any engine available today, as well write their own code to talk directly to directX... Both are better suited tools for their audience than XNA would be.

They had Project Spark today in their keynote. Why show it off again?

If they allow self published indies to add achievement support, this could be a huge thing.

I could see them doing something similar to Steam Greenlight.

CookTrain

Sony gives out loaner dev kits for devs that need them, whether your game is exclusive or not.

But it's still a far, far cry from being as accessible as XNA was and, for the time being, is. You have to be a proper indie business venture to get in on that devkit scene.

Feep

Banned
Welp.

This is EXTREMELY relevant to me.

Looking forward to whatever it is.

Edit: For the record, I've switched from XNA to Unity. I miss it sometimes, but Unity can be crazy powerful.

Top Bottom