• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS TechNet Blog showcases elements of upcoming Fall 2011 Xbox 360 Dashboard Update

clav

http://youtu.be/M_ZCJvcxWgQ

http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_blog/archive/2011/08/17/the-future-of-the-living-room.aspx

The Future of the Living Room
17 Aug 2011 8:00 AM
Summer is a transition time for many people: the break between school years; a vacation before tackling another year of work; and for network television that’s been a guest in our living rooms for so long, summer is a time of transition between seasons.

It’s appropriate then that we are also in the middle of a fundamental transformation of the technology in our living rooms. Traditional broadcast and cable TV are steadily being augmented and enjoyed in new ways such as ‘time-shifted’ and on-demand TV via DVRs and other devices like the Xbox, PCs, tablets and even smartphones. Similarly, DVDs are being replaced by on-demand movie delivery via services such as Netflix and Hulu. And the standard 30- or 60-minute commercial program is no longer the only game in town – today’s entertainment options are a vast cornucopia of content from ultra-short to full length, all delivered over the Internet.

At Microsoft, we believe there’s also a shift underway in how consumers access and control this ever-growing avalanche of TV shows, sports programming, movies, online videos, video games, music and more. At E3, we dropped a few hints regarding how we plan to enhance and expand the entertainment options available to consumers.

Our philosophy is pretty simple: All the entertainment you want, with the people you care about, made easy… This video brings that philosophy to life, while showing off what the combination of Xbox, Kinect, Bing and voice recognition can do for your entertainment experience.

As you can see, integration of products and services like Xbox, Kinect and Bing is at the heart of our strategy. This is just one more example of how Bing is more than just Microsoft’s search engine, competing to win against Google – Bing is also a strategic asset that makes many other Microsoft products better and more attractive to our customers. Thanks to Bing, Kinect and our voice recognition technology, we envision a future where the words “Hey, where’s the remote?” are as outdated as eight-track tapes and rotary telephones.

We also believe in finding new ways to bring people together. Take Avatar Kinect, a new feature we launched last month. Avatar Kinect lets you hang out with your friends, watch entertainment with them, and keep up a running dialogue, whether they’re in the same town or halfway around the world.

This is just a hint of what’s to come. We’ll be rolling out further advances in entertainment over the next few months. Keep an eye on Xbox.com and the Microsoft News Center to see what’s next.

Posted by Frank X. Shaw
Corporate Vice President, Corporate Communications, Microsoft

stpUH.jpg

3EqgB.jpg

OXHgm.jpg

NugrC.jpg

PJnuo.jpg

e3J6p.jpg

OW2Pb.jpg

R9E8I.jpg

KaqMO.jpg

N4XSj.jpg

xqro9.jpg

GHp0c.jpg

iuJuL.jpg

liQhM.jpg

BBenW.jpg

zU54L.jpg

lUcX0.jpg

OW8qK.jpg

6boqI.jpg

Gaspode_T

Susurrus said:
oh cool, even more advertisements in our face.

I think it's actually less advertisements but with one big one in the middle, the Spotlight and Marketplace sections had a big long row of squares, this only has 1 big spot and two little ones

I can't even imagine how expensive it will be to buy space in that big middle one

Acidote

Updates sound like a meme in my head.

New Xbox 360 Dashboard update.
Keep using the quicker guide button.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really digging the Windows 8/Xbox Live amalgamation going on.

Awesome, new way to view Doritos™ and Axe Body Spray™ advertisements. Can't wait until Axe comes out with a Doritos™ scent--the 360 dashboard is gonna be hot that day. I'm glad that Microsoft Xbox Live™ provides advertisements tailored to My Needs And Interests™ and I look forward to the growth of the Xbox Live Gold Program™ in the future.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I get the UI design, but it just feels bizarre in some places. Like this one:

GHp0c.jpg

I've always disliked the focus on the left panel of the screen at all times too. Phooey.

Curufinwe

Smision said:
Awesome, new way to view Doritos™ and Axe Body Spray™ advertisements. Can't wait until Axe comes out with a Doritos™ scent--the 360 dashboard is gonna be hot that day. I'm glad that Microsoft Xbox Live™ provides advertisements tailored to My Needs And Interests™ and I look forward to the growth of the Xbox Live Gold Program™ in the future.

Glol.

Red

AbsoluteZero said:
So my themes are going to be useless all over again I assume?
This reminds me: I bought a theme called Monkey Business way back at launch, and it doesn't work at all anymore. It's not even up to download on the marketplace. I have it on my hdd still, but it doesn't actually display when I select it. Was my favorite theme, too :(

Einbroch said:
Bing as a main tab? :lol
Why shouldn't it be? Doing quick searches is one of the best new features; saves you digging through countless menu's to to find an XBLA game. The easier it is to access that search page with the controller, assuming you're not using your voice, the better. Or are you simply allergic to the word 'Bing'?

Wiseblood

Einbroch said:
Other than that, what's the point? It looks like the old one, except horizontal.

The point is that Metro is their new UI design language and they're using it to create a unified look and feel for all their products. Windows Phone 7 already uses it, the 360 will soon use it, and Windows 8 will use it.

Gowans

3 (including the one massive one) of the 5 squares on the home page is ads. Lovely
KuGsj.gif

They need to get the sky player social stuff into the games marketplace tho.

JaggedSac

InaudibleWhispa said:
Why shouldn't it be? Doing quick searches is one of the best new features; saves you digging through countless menu's to to find an XBLA game. The easier it is to access that search page with the controller, assuming you're not using your voice, the better. Or are you simply allergic to the word 'Bing'?

On this matter, does it include Netflix and Hulu in the searches? If so, that is friggen awesome.

NBtoaster said:
Just let me default to games and I'll be happy.
And miss the sweet updates on the new Windows or T-Mobile phone? Never.

I would be happy as well, but I doubt they will do it.

A definitive improvement over the current UI.

I probably won't use it much though. I haven't touched my 360 in months nor do I see anything that will make me anytime soon.

Sydle

Gowans007 said:
3 (including the one massive one) of the 5 squares on the home page is ads. Lovely
KuGsj.gif

I see one for Windows Phone 7...

???

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Gowans007 said:
KuGsj.gif

This is what I hate about the Xbox platform right now. Live isn't a free ad-supported service. It's the dashboard of a console I paid Reel Monies to buy.

So why am I forced to boot to ads, scroll through ads, and basically live Ad Land to use the Xbox? Conveniently (and intentionally I'm sure) you must scroll through layers of marketplace ad space to get to your friends display (if you don't use the guide exclusively).

The sad part is that even the current interface would be great if the user was actually allowed flexibility in what panes to order. It'd be very flexible and sensible.

I've no doubt that this new interface, which honestly doesn't look special to me, will be 90% ads in every screen.

Top Bottom