• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS using The Initiative to make Perfect Dark proves they are completely clueless when it comes to games

TeamGhobad

Banned
So as many of you I've been busy playing Keanupunk 2017 and completely missed the Game Awards (random thought make the Game Awards should replace E3?)
anyways today i learned MS is forcing The Initiative to reboot Perfect Dark an overrated ok game from the 2000s its sequel was trash. My question is why go around poaching all this hot talent from around the world only for them to make a game from an existing franchise why not allow them to make something that they want?
It just boggles the mind, this is why their first party studio is shait they have clueless people making decisions. Been Xbox 2 gens now Playstation here i come.

So as many of you I've been busy playing Keanupunk 2017 and completely missed the Game Awards (random thought make the Game Awards should replace E3?)
anyways today i learned MS is forcing The Initiative to reboot Perfect Dark an overrated ok game from the 2000s its sequel was trash. My question is why go around poaching all this hot talent from around the world only for them to make a game from an existing franchise why not allow them to make something that they want?
It just boggles the mind, this is why their first party studio is shait they have clueless people making decisions. Been Xbox 2 gens now Playstation here i come.
Do you have proof they were 'forced' to make Perfect Dark? Do you know that the game won't be good? Why not wait for it to come out to attack it?

Hezekiah

Banned
They're basically using the name value of an old franchise. But it's 20 years old now and the game will bear no resemblance to the originals.

TeamGhobad

Banned
They're basically using the name value of an old franchise. But it's 20 years old now and the game will bear no resemblance to the originals.

it will still have a female going around spying, stealth mechanics some shooting not interested.

What would you have rather them made?

new original IP. they could have passed it on to The Coalition if they really needed to make this game. But a AAAA perfect dark doesn't exist.

Last edited:
Original PD is fantastic, sequel was straight up gutter. But otherwise I agree with you.

"Microsoft founded The Initiative in 2018. The company has previously referred to it as its “AAAA” studio"

Why build a so called dream team to reboot a series? All this talent and they can't come up with something new and original?

Last edited:
new original IP. they could have passed it on to The Coalition if they really needed to make this game. But a AAAA perfect dark doesn't exist.

A AAAA anything doesn't exist. That was a dumb marketing ploy that just caused MS to be made fun of.

I'm just glad that by "AAAA" they didn't really mean a Game As A Service where they try to hook you into an endless loop of playing the same game for years while continually nickel and diming you the entire time through microtransactions.

If it's a solid AAA singke-player game, I'll be happy.

Did you see the reaction videos. Hardcore gamers are pumped as its an IP people love. PS Fanboys are angry for the same reason. Casuals who are older know this game and will play it. It's a great move

Enzo88

Overrated ok game?pfff
Did you play it yesterday? Cause yeah it doesn't hold up, but when it came out it was an awesome game.

Last edited:

S73v3

Banned
I doubt the feature completeness and mode melding that Perfect dark was celebrated for will make it to the new game

Zero was a dramatic step back, I don't think current MS even "gets" gaming at a core level anymore.

If (LOL) Microsoft puts out great games in the next 3 years I'd have a bit of faith, but for a decade they have been all about a checklist with little substance.

But it's not like other platform holders/publishers are particularly in thier prime either.

Last edited:
I have no problem with anyone taking a stab at a new Perfect Dark. I just can't stand the trend of developers sitting around telling you how cool their game is going to be without actually showing anything in some slick "trailer". It's too damn early. Not taking the bait on a bunch of promises and concept art. I look forward to what they have once they're ready to show.

SirTerry-T

I'm more worried about the majesty of Perfect Dark being tainted by all those grubby handed, workshy fops who jumped ship from Naughty Dog and Santa Monica Studios.

Have I done with this right, Consolewarz/Concernthread-Gaf???!?

bender

What time is it?
The way I see it:

-Giving a newly formed team something established to focus on while they learn the ins and outs of their team members isn't the worst idea.
-You need to balance new and old IP and Microsoft does seem to have a lot of new ideas in the works.
-It can't be any worse than the last Perfect Dark.
-Perfect Dark done well could freshen up a stale genre.

OrtizTwelve

Posts like these are why the term “neckbeard” exist. I rolled my eyes after I read the OP’s message. Are you 13 years old?

Already hating on a game and we don’t know anything about it or how I will look or how it will play. Maybe it will be fantastic or maybe it will be trash? Who knows? There’s no material to judge anything by........

Last edited:

Korso

Seems like a wasted opportunity. They could have used them to create a new IP. But people at the initiative seem to be passionate, at least on the surface, about it.

Its a wait-and-see sorta thing for me.

oldergamer

God. Please stop posting

GAMETA

Banned
Original PD is fantastic, sequel was straight up gutter. But otherwise I agree with you.

"Microsoft founded The Initiative in 2018. The company has previously referred to it as its “AAAA” studio"

Why build a so called dream team to reboot a series? All this talent and they can't come up with something new and original?

But why not?

It's old enough that you can make something completely new, it's known enough that it has an estabilhed following and the interest of people and media.

Seems like a good fit. Let's hope the game's good.

DJTHEGREY

PD was 007 on steroids.... If you didn't play it on N64 during that time you couldn't appreciate it... Will love to see what they can do with it. I do think it's a little early to be this mad about it. But gamers are quick to anger when it comes to anything xbox it seems. 🤷🏾‍♂️

JORMBO

Darkness no more
It’s been a long time since there was a Perfect Dark. I’m sure they can come up with some interesting and creative ideas. I don’t expect it to play like the bad 360 game. Let’s wait for more details.

Vasto

Posts like these are why the term “neckbeard” exist. I rolled my eyes after I read the OP’s message. Are you 13 years old?

Already hating on a game and we don’t know anything about it or how I will look or how it will play. Maybe it will be fantastic or maybe it will be trash? Who knows? There’s no material to judge anything by........

This is what they do. :messenger_winking:

Top Bottom