• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS using The Initiative to make Perfect Dark proves they are completely clueless when it comes to games

Hunnybun

So as many of you I've been busy playing Keanupunk 2017 and completely missed the Game Awards (random thought make the Game Awards should replace E3?)
anyways today i learned MS is forcing The Initiative to reboot Perfect Dark an overrated ok game from the 2000s its sequel was trash. My question is why go around poaching all this hot talent from around the world only for them to make a game from an existing franchise why not allow them to make something that they want?
It just boggles the mind, this is why their first party studio is shait they have clueless people making decisions. Been Xbox 2 gens now Playstation here i come.

Totally agree, been saying it for ages. It's a shit, and dead, franchise. Fucking bizarre to waste the kind of talent this team has on it.

Of course, the game itself may very well still be excellent.

Banjo64

cumsessed
"What they did with Sakaguchi" 13 years (Lost Odyssey) and 14 years ago (Blue Dragon). Do you still live in the 2010s or something? Sakaguchi has been slacking off with mobile games that keep failing and deliver nothing, even if you look at them as if they were indie games. Nothing stops Xbox from giving him a good budget and making an actually good game, not another Game Pass flop. Judging by your hate towards FF XIII, seems like you do live in 2010. Those beautiful-beautiful times when games were aimed only at people with a mentality of white middle-aged straight men who look up to Duke Nukem, have a cutie pie trophie wife and a fridge full of beer. Look up the cover arts for the vast majority of popular games of that time, also at games of PS2 gen when we finally started getting good 3D graphics. If you don't see a pattern there, I don't know what else to tell you. The games that were aimed at the Western audience were revolving around "white middle-aged straight male" audience, it's a fact. The only female protagonists that might have gotten a game would need to be sexualized to not offend all the "strong men" of video games. And there comes FF XIII - a game made by Japanese, people who were making good female characters as far back as the SNES days... a game you were expecting to cater to you and no one else but it didn't. How heartbreaking it might have been that you still remember it :D
FF XIII is a fantastic game, one of my favorite FF on the same spot with XIV, V and IX. I'm able to separate my opinion (of it being one of the best FF games) from a fact, and the fact is that it is a very well made game which looks and plays fantastic even today. Sorry to break it to you but the word ain't going back to the 2010s and you're going to have to deal with more and more games with strong female protagonists, with characters that aren't all Duke Nukems and stories made for them. Cope. You don't have a choice. Maybe Sony will make you a Days Gone 2 if you'll be a good boy. :D

Until then, keep playing The Outer Worlds, a game that's stuck in 2010s, very much like you are.
Being the racist, sexist piece of shit you are, you’d be much better suited posting on another forum mate.

Woopah

Maybe the developers are Perfect Dark fans and wanted to work on the franchise. I don't think that's beyond the realm of possibility.

Derktron

Banned
I swear the hate that you guys have against Microsoft is pathetic and old, why don’t we talk about how Sony has milked their games for 3 generations, like Uncharted, The Last of US. God of War. Yet when Microsoft does it and revives an old game that none of you kids here don’t even know it’s a problem? Damn shame and keep in mind I’m not defending Microsoft. Because in reality I expected more but what can we do? I expected more from Sony too.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
You think a bunch of top tier devs left their respective jobs to go... Work on something they didn't want to work on?

I'm sorry to ask. But are you ok?
Yep, devs that are even from Sony . That means there’s something more than Perfect Dark and maybe there not ready to show it off.

So as many of you I've been busy playing Keanupunk 2017 and completely missed the Game Awards (random thought make the Game Awards should replace E3?)
anyways today i learned MS is forcing The Initiative to reboot Perfect Dark an overrated ok game from the 2000s its sequel was trash. My question is why go around poaching all this hot talent from around the world only for them to make a game from an existing franchise why not allow them to make something that they want?
It just boggles the mind, this is why their first party studio is shait they have clueless people making decisions. Been Xbox 2 gens now Playstation here i come.
We don't even know if the Initiative is a good developer. Just because you gather people from other studios doesn't mean they are good, look at 343i for example. Ironically you are playing a failure overrated game[CP2077) and talking lmao.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Let’s not talk about what Nintendo does for 30 years. No one bats an eye for them.

And then you realize why Nintendo isn't considered in the same tier as the big boys (Sony and Microsoft) on message boards like NeoGAF.

To be honest, I DGAF about the IP. I root for any game where the objective isn't just "Put your cursor on dumb enemy AI as fast as you can to win". And Perfect Dark probably isn't going in that direction.

Larlight

I agree I want to see more new IP’s coming out nowadays. Ever since 2007, it seems devs have been stuck with the IP’s that came out around that time or older. It’s 2 generations straight and we are still getting COD, Assassin’s Creed, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Uncharted (possibly), and all the older IP’s just being rehashed again and again. Where did the creativity go?

I’m just really hoping it’s not some GAAS tra....er...game and a legitimate single player experience with high production values and solid gameplay. Even though I don’t think it will be really popular, but it could be very interesting to see what they come up with the talent I’m assuming they have.

Last edited:
I swear the hate that you guys have against Microsoft is pathetic and old, why don’t we talk about how Sony has milked their games for 3 generations, like Uncharted, The Last of US. God of War. Yet when Microsoft does it and revives an old game that none of you kids here don’t even know it’s a problem? Damn shame and keep in mind I’m not defending Microsoft. Because in reality I expected more but what can we do? I expected more from Sony too.

It's a weird phenomenon, that's for sure. The hate for MS here is one of the oddities of the internet as a whole. I'm not sure when it started exactly, but I've been aware of it since the whole Cboot fiasco.

If you made this exact same thread, with the only changes being platform, dev, and game names... It probably wouldn't get 2 pages worth of replies, much less 6.

I agree I want to see more new IP’s coming out nowadays. Ever since 2007, it seems devs have been stuck with the IP’s that came out around that time or older. It’s 2 generations straight and we are still getting COD, Assassin’s Creed, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Uncharted (possibly), and all the older IP’s just being rehashed again and again. Where did the creativity go?

I do agree, but I think the game industry is still leagues above Hollywood where superhero movies, gender-swaps, remakes and sequels seemingly dominate. Creativity is essentially nonexistent imho. I feel the reason game developers keep milking these franchises is familiarity and because gamers keep buying most of them in droves making these companies a lot of money. COD, Madden, Assassins Creed for example still selling this much after all these years is insane.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
Ok look, I agree with your post but Perfect Dark 64 was not an overrated game in any way. Ok? Thanks.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It's a weird phenomenon, that's for sure. The hate for MS here is one of the oddities of the internet as a whole. I'm not sure when it started exactly, but I've been aware of it since the whole Cboot fiasco.

If you made this exact same thread, with the only changes being platform, dev, and game names... It probably wouldn't get 2 pages worth of replies, much less 6.

Just speaking for myself here, but my distaste for MS grew sometime in the XBox 360 generation (later half) when MS cut studios like Lionhead and started becoming the Halo, Gears, Forza console manufacturer.

Then they stayed that way for an entire generation (XBox One).

My distaste for them will thaw (perhaps many on NeoGAF as well) in a year or two when they start producing exciting games again.

Josemayuste

(Insert Company) using (Insert Developer) to make (Insert Game IP) proves they (Insert adjetive) when it comes to games

That didn't look like a proof, more like a personal opinion
to me.

I think that it is interesting that such a beloved IP makes a comeback, so it was the return of Crash, Spyro, Sir Dan, etc. past gen.

Or they let devs make the games they want with the support to do it like they promised which fans and game dev advocates said they wanted.

Has Sony made a new IP other than Horizon Zero Dawn?

Their new first party IP's this past gen were DriveClub, The Order 1886, Knack, Horizon, Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last Guardian and Dreams.

3 of those studios are no longer with Sony (Evolution, Ready at Dawn and Team Ico aka GenDesign).

cormack12

Gold Member
Jim Ryan highlighted recently the risk in new IP. Microsoft have got several new IPs in the oven already. They also need to pull people back to xbox that remember when fable was good, kameo was solid and PDZ was a decent shooter. They're not putting all their eggs in one basket, you can see this with series S and X, xcloud and console, new IP and old.

There are people that exist that still want successors to games like NOLF2 as well. I think we should at least see a reveal.

bxrz

Games cost a lot more now and its risky as hell to put AAA budget into a new IP from a brand new company that hasn't even made a game yet. A lot of companies either need to work their way up to AAA budget (CDPR) or get on an IP that has a fanbase that will support the game (Perfect Dark)

Jim Ryan highlighted this when he was discussing Ghosts of Tsushima and Suckerpunch isn't even a new company

Last edited:

Fitzchiv

"What they did with Sakaguchi" 13 years (Lost Odyssey) and 14 years ago (Blue Dragon). Do you still live in the 2010s or something? Sakaguchi has been slacking off with mobile games that keep failing and deliver nothing, even if you look at them as if they were indie games. Nothing stops Xbox from giving him a good budget and making an actually good game, not another Game Pass flop. Judging by your hate towards FF XIII, seems like you do live in 2010. Those beautiful-beautiful times when games were aimed only at people with a mentality of white middle-aged straight men who look up to Duke Nukem, have a cutie pie trophie wife and a fridge full of beer. Look up the cover arts for the vast majority of popular games of that time, also at games of PS2 gen when we finally started getting good 3D graphics. If you don't see a pattern there, I don't know what else to tell you. The games that were aimed at the Western audience were revolving around "white middle-aged straight male" audience, it's a fact. The only female protagonists that might have gotten a game would need to be sexualized to not offend all the "strong men" of video games. And there comes FF XIII - a game made by Japanese, people who were making good female characters as far back as the SNES days... a game you were expecting to cater to you and no one else but it didn't. How heartbreaking it might have been that you still remember it :D
FF XIII is a fantastic game, one of my favorite FF on the same spot with XIV, V and IX. I'm able to separate my opinion (of it being one of the best FF games) from a fact, and the fact is that it is a very well made game which looks and plays fantastic even today. Sorry to break it to you but the word ain't going back to the 2010s and you're going to have to deal with more and more games with strong female protagonists, with characters that aren't all Duke Nukems and stories made for them. Cope. You don't have a choice. Maybe Sony will make you a Days Gone 2 if you'll be a good boy. :D

Until then, keep playing The Outer Worlds, a game that's stuck in 2010s, very much like you are.

What an insecure load of old toilet.

Jon Neu

Banned
Perfect Dark was so long ago and the new game it's going to be so different it could easily count as a new IP.

But it's funny, because people have been urging MS to do a new Perfect Dark game for years and years, but now they're crying because it's not a new IP.

Good thing MS is doing Perfect Dark and also a lot of new IP's at the same time, right?

ANIMAL1975

Lol dude the only 'milked for 3 generations' game from that little list of yours, is GOW. Uncharted and TLOU are IPs from ps3 Gen, and from the same dev! Two new IP in the same gen, being the second one brought to us in the end of it instead of waiting for ps4, and TLOU2 only comes now in the end of this one... something about playstation is blurring your reasoning and your concept of what milking is...
Has Sony made a new IP other than Horizon Zero Dawn?
Drive Clube, Bloodborne, The Order 1886, Knack, Days Gone, Dreams, Ghost of Tsushima, Concrete Genie, Alienation, Resogun, Spiderman, supported Kojima crazy new ip Death Stranding... stop shooting in the foot.

TheAssist

You shouldn’t complain about them using this franchise, then. Neither of you. The basically have a name and a new canvas since it won’t replicate the N64 or 360 gameplay. It’s a win win situation for both who want fresh air in the XB ecosystem (lol fresh air, another shooter, I know) and the devs who want to appeal to an existing fan base.

I'm not complaining. I just dont care. And I dont think thats a good starting point when a company wants to sell me a product.
When I think about Perfect Dark I dont think that this is something that I want to have. I'd me more intrigued by something new or something I am more familiar with.
Its like if Sony said they are making a new Fear Effect. I mean ok I guess, but I dont care and I would argue a lot of people dont either because they have never played it.

Of course that doesnt mean that the game is going to be bad, I'm just trying to wrap my head around the decision. Apparently they're putting a lot of money behind this project. Then why use some mildly know IP that had some success like 20 years ago, followed up by a turd. Why limit yourself then, instead of taking on a new IP that has more room to grow and offers more creative freedom. Or take a more well known franchise, but maybe MS just doesnt have that.

You're right in that this franchise is probably pretty open for interpretation at this point and there wont be much backlash if they change stuff. Maybe the dev team already had something in mind and marketing realized that its somewhere in the same ballpark as perfect dark. So any IP is better than no IP I guess.

Ristifer

These outrage threads are something else. It’s like they’re looking to the heavens, waiting for The Initiative to make the first new IP in a century.

But then it’s revealed to be Perfect Dark. So let’s shit ourselves, make a dumbass thread, and act as though no other studio can possibly be making new IPs at this point.

I’m surprised some of you don’t have severe hemorrhaging from all these blood pressure-raising hysterics.

bxrz

I'm not complaining. I just dont care. And I dont think thats a good starting point when a company wants to sell me a product.
When I think about Perfect Dark I dont think that this is something that I want to have. I'd me more intrigued by something new or something I am more familiar with.
Its like if Sony said they are making a new Fear Effect. I mean ok I guess, but I dont care and I would argue a lot of people dont either because they have never played it.

Of course that doesnt mean that the game is going to be bad, I'm just trying to wrap my head around the decision. Apparently they're putting a lot of money behind this project. Then why use some mildly know IP that had some success like 20 years ago, followed up by a turd. Why limit yourself then, instead of taking on a new IP that has more room to grow and offers more creative freedom. Or take a more well known franchise, but maybe MS just doesnt have that.

You're right in that this franchise is probably pretty open for interpretation at this point and there wont be much backlash if they change stuff. Maybe the dev team already had something in mind and marketing realized that its somewhere in the same ballpark as perfect dark. So any IP is better than no IP I guess.
What you're saying doesn't make sense. You say you want something new or something you are more familiar with. Which means you aren't familiar with PD. So its a new IP to you (and a lot of other gamers). Which is the point. Not sure why a decision like this would be so difficult to understand. How many reboots/remakes of games have been made now? Same people screaming for a Silent Hill & MGS remake/reboot lol

Last edited:

TheAssist

What you're saying doesn't make sense. You say you want something new or something you are more familiar with. Which means you aren't familiar with PD. So its a new IP to you (and a lot of other gamers). Which is the point. Not sure why a decision like this would be so difficult to understand.

I am familiar with it as far as I have seen a lot of retrospectives on it and parts of lets plays and I am not interested in the franchise.
I didnt grow up with it, since I did not own a N64 so this is partly why.

I dont really think you get my point though. If you like PD, fine. Good for you. I am looking at what MS has said about The initiative. It being a AAAA studio and them spending lots of money on that studio. So naturally I would expect the very first impression of their first game to have a huge impact. In my mind that is either a really big IP that millions of people have actually played and have a positive opinion of or something completely knew. And if its something knew, then the first trailer should really spark people's imagination and make them hungry for more. But alas its the reveal that its a Perfect Dark game with a generic trailer about the future. Alrighty. I'm not offended, or angry, or mad, or anything. I just dont care.
To give you some context, I didnt follow the speculation on what TI is going to develop beforehand, so when I saw the trailer that was the first I have ever heard of it (well ok, there were thread titles here on NeoGaf that I read). So even as someone with above average knowledge of video game history I am kinda not amazed by them choosing this franchise.

But maybe you're right and the problem is precisely that I am within that niche of people who havent played it back then, but I am still familiar with it from hearing about it back in the day and looking it up years later (thereby the game manifesting itself as "just ok" in my head) . Everyone else is either a fan since they have played it and liked it on the N64, or they have never heard about it and it is like a new IP for them. I guess that could be true.

TaroYamada

I'm very interested in what they do with the IP, also the sequel got a lot of hate but it really wasn't a bad game imo. I'm looking forward to it and I hope they stay faithful to the IP, FPS with stealth mechanics please.

This is precisely the reason why microsoft are being criticized for CGI reveals while sony sometimes even gets a pass for just a logo reveal.

Proven track record of stellar first party output in SSM vs incredible talent with extraordinary experience but just starting their new venture, in The Initiative.

Perfect Dark is going to be fine at the hands of these people, and probably the best it could ever have dreamed of being an IP.

Gone

Banned
It's ok.
Not all of us want to play the same "3rd person cinematic game with a story that "transcends" everything".

whT9TML.jpg

crozier

Perfect Dark’s single player was nigh unplayable when it released. I just couldn’t get past the frame rate. Played the hell out of multiplayer, though.

I’d love to see what a talented studio can do with the IP and better hardware.

Derktron

Banned

Yep, couldn’t say it any better.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned

Lol dude the only 'milked for 3 generations' game from that little list of yours, is GOW. Uncharted and TLOU are IPs from ps3 Gen, and from the same dev! Two new IP in the same gen, being the second one brought to us in the end of it instead of waiting for ps4, and TLOU2 only comes now in the end of this one... something about playstation is blurring your reasoning and your concept of what milking is...

Drive Clube, Bloodborne, The Order 1886, Knack, Days Gone, Dreams, Ghost of Tsushima, Concrete Genie, Alienation, Resogun, Spiderman, supported Kojima crazy new ip Death Stranding... stop shooting in the foot.

Shut up and stop licking the foot of Sony, Microsoft has made a few IP too even though the majority of them are not even successful.

Banjo64

cumsessed

You read it here first folks, Sony made the Spiderman IP. We’ve now reached peak revisionism.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Yeah I hope MS + maybe having one less platform to focus on can help Bethesda release games that are more solid at launch. I actually love Fallout 76 (I only started playing a couple months ago post-many-patches.) I also hope the Bethesda purchase can maybe mean Avowed gets the Bethesda engine, because Outer Worlds bored me largely because it was missing all the little things the Bethesda engine brings.

But I also am not super stoked that Playstation might be missing Bethesda games, so that's not something I really want to cheerlead too much lol I always only play these games on PC though, so the selfish part of me doesn't care that much about that.

I think Avowed is gonna be a different type of RPG, but I think if there’s an Outer Worlds 2 they can certainly adopt the Creation Engine now.

As far as the acquisition... if ZeniMax could have remained independent then that’s always the best option, but it did make sense for Microsoft to purchase them. Their relationship runs to the beginning and Microsoft was really the reason Elder Scrolls came to consoles. At least ZeniMax titles will be accessible on Xbox and PC, including Steam. I’m fairly certain they’ll be Xbox platform exclusive (that is, within the Xbox ecosystem, not restrictive to the console), except for things like ESO and Fallout 76 though. I can see ZeniMax Online’s new MMO coming to all consoles. I don’t see Starfield or ESVI coming to PlayStation, however.

I'm definitely not cheering the consolidation of the industry, but in Bethesda's case there will likely be a clear benefit to working on fewer consoles where they can just focus on those (like you said) plus they'll have a much larger budget than ever. I think Microsoft is really banking on Starfield. Phil Spencer couldn't seem to not mention it even in articles where it wasn't even really the subject. Sony apparently tried to get timed exclusivity on it, so something tells me that the info known about it within the industry makes it something to be really excited for.

Last edited:
While I understand the PD IP has its audience, MS has so many amazing unused IP in its vault, I personally see this as a missed opportunity -- same as the OP.

I'd have preferred an entirely new IP, but the Initiative has yet to make a single game so from a commercial perspective, you don't take the monumental risk of an unproven new IP on an equally unproven studio at the AAA dev scale.

Regardless, If they're re-inventing the IP into something new. Great. Let's wait and see what they come up with.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I doubt they are being forced to make a PD, but if they are that’s okay .. it’s a job.

Last edited:
Top Bottom