• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS using The Initiative to make Perfect Dark proves they are completely clueless when it comes to games

Jigga

To me if u going to restart a franchise. It has to be a classic or or at worst cult classic. Perfect Dark has no cache. U could pretty much just came up with a new ip and the excitement would be the same imo

It's a reboot most likely and probably far removed from what the original was, so probably in a way it will allow plenty of creativity. Not a new ip, but will allow some new takes on an ip that honestly not that established lets be real.

But I somewhat agree with this thread. Perfect Dark's name appeals to me because I grew up with the n64. But honestly it means nothing in this day and age. There's no big legacy in terms of gameplay or story. 4 player splits-screen gadget gun type of FPS not really in vogue. Maybe they will bring that back, but honestly they are under no obligation to do so. It's just an ip that has some cache, but the fact that one of the rumors was that it was a tps means there's not a gameplay type they feel it needs to be. It seems Johanna Dark and spy stuff/datadyne is what they for sure feel the need to carry over. So really they are just reviving an ip and doing whatever they want with it in the hopes to appeal to those who know the name.

It's arguable that that is less interesting then just making a new ip that has no ties whatsoever. It's whats made Sony's first party offerings a bit more interesting then simply releasing the same series over and over. But then again people liked GoW which while yes keeping some story beats, did reinvent the series.

So as many of you I've been busy playing Keanupunk 2017 and completely missed the Game Awards (random thought make the Game Awards should replace E3?)
anyways today i learned MS is forcing The Initiative to reboot Perfect Dark an overrated ok game from the 2000s its sequel was trash. My question is why go around poaching all this hot talent from around the world only for them to make a game from an existing franchise why not allow them to make something that they want?
It just boggles the mind, this is why their first party studio is shait they have clueless people making decisions. Been Xbox 2 gens now Playstation here i come.
How do you know they force them?

And just because they using perfect dark name that doesn't mean it will be like 2000s PDZ 360 game.

And its funny random forum poster is telling a studio full of top veteran game designers how to make a game.

zombrex

Rebooting perfect Dark make sense a decade ago.
The IP has very little value in 2020. Even the XBLA version did not do great sales at all.
The entire idea reeks of someone living in the past.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
The IP has very little value in 2020. Even the XBLA version did not do great.
Isn’t that where it would make the most sense to do it?

They could take an IP of little value aNd turn it into what it once was.

What if the Initiative is a reboot factory and MS creates new studios based on how successful the Initiative works.

They are sitting on a ton of dormant ip.

Last edited:

Alx

I personally don't care about Perfect Dark, I didn't play it at the time the original released, so I only know the "Zero" game (didn't go far into it) and played the XBLA port (aged poorly).
I don't see the issue with giving the reboot to "the Initiative" though. If they are as skilled as they're said to be, then they should be able to make a good game whatever the IP. And the fact that the license is rather old now gives them freedom to make whatever they want with it.
As a matter of fact, considering the studio is new and artificially built by hiring people from different backgrounds, it makes some sense to use an existing IP as a common base, instead of hoping for some kind of natural emulation/inspiration to emerge from a group that has no common history.

MrFunSocks

Banned
The IP has very little value in 2020. Even the XBLA version did not do great sales at all.
The entire idea reeks of someone living in the past.
So what is the harm then? If no one cares about it now or remembers it, what’s the harm in rebooting it?

It’s going to be a completely different game to the ones on the 64 and 360, but it will have a bit of familiarity for fans of the old ones. I’d wager that most people on here and buying these new consoles have never played a perfect dark game in their life, so it is as good as a new IP to them.

Darak

I wouldn't be surprised if the game is a scifi looter shooter with an open world component. That would have been an easy sell before the Cyberpunk launch and it could be a good fit for the franchise as the original already had very open levels (considering the limitations at the time).

El_Cinefilo

Perfect Dark is a name people recognise and having it generates more excitement than a new company making a new title.

While the original PD is a much beloved classic, it hasn't aged particularly well and its sequel is gash. So the expectations aren't sky high.

It's kind of a win win for me, You're getting brand recognition of the title without pressure on it to be amazing and it's a license you can probably have a lot of freedom to so what you want with. I read that it might not even be a FPS game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alx

El_Cinefilo

really? rehashing an old franchise from 20 years ago builds more hype than new IP? You must work for MS.

You think the reveal trailer would've got more attention and excitement from the general public if it the title at the end of it was something different than Perfect Dark? I disagree. 🤷‍♂️

mejin

From the rumours it made me think it was a new ip, but a new studio to bring back lost ips is not bad.

The only problem is like any other MS studio is just another project it will take some time to be ready and there is no guarantee it will be great, but as it is their first project we can only wish best of luck for them (and of course, hope MS doesn't tie them down to this ip).

Aidah

Personally I don't think Perfect Dark is something worth reviving, nor do I think it has enough fandom for a revival to make that much sense. To me it makes it less interesting.

However, I'm not really going to care about what some studio is up to until they put out their first piece of work and it turns out to be something worth talking and getting excited about.

REDRZA MWS

So as many of you I've been busy playing Keanupunk 2017 and completely missed the Game Awards (random thought make the Game Awards should replace E3?)
anyways today i learned MS is forcing The Initiative to reboot Perfect Dark an overrated ok game from the 2000s its sequel was trash. My question is why go around poaching all this hot talent from around the world only for them to make a game from an existing franchise why not allow them to make something that they want?
It just boggles the mind, this is why their first party studio is shait they have clueless people making decisions. Been Xbox 2 gens now Playstation here i come.
And your opinion on this means zero, and you should quit gaming. Stick to being a fan, thankfully you have no power on business decisions.

Great Hair

Banned
If 343i, The Coalition, Turn10 or Playground were asked to work on Perfect Dark the outrage would be tenfold! Former GTA5, Mass Effect, Witcher 3, Take Two, God of War devs. joining the "AAAA Studio Experience" for another pew-pew-pew-pew with a dead-lead-long-forgotten-female character no one remembers.

Why not reboot Conker instead? This time around, without ruining the original please.

quest

Not Banned from OT
If 343i, The Coalition, Turn10 or Playground were asked to work on Perfect Dark the outrage would be tenfold! Former GTA5, Mass Effect, Witcher 3, Take Two, God of War devs. joining the "AAAA Studio Experience" for another pew-pew-pew-pew with a dead-lead-long-forgotten-female character no one remembers.

Why not reboot Conker instead? This time around, without ruining the original please.
Because the studio wanted to do perfect dark. Forcing studios to do games doesn't work. Why is obsidian entertainment doing avowed because they wanted to do a big ass high budget rpg. Why is inexile doing their next projects because they want to. I'm still figuring out what there is to complain about we begged Microsoft for years to quit forcing studios to make games the bean counters wanted. They did exactly that we should celebrate and hope the studios produce with all that freedom.

Wimbledon

I don't mind them making a Perfect Dark game, while I never played it it's a perfect time to try it.

My only worry is that MS is going to force this studio to only work on PERFECT DARK, like there other studios, that's what I don't want to happen.

343i at least has an excuse for Halo because of the EU but for how long, but Coalition also doing gears when their original project was shelved, Rod Fergusson isn't even the lead anymore at their company. The Initiative doesn't need to be put in that position, I'm hoping they can work on other projects not PD related. I would say the same for 343i and the coalition as well.

I think you kill creativity when a company only works on one franchise, MS needs to understand this. Give these companies a chance to do something else instead of bringing back older franchises and keeping the current ones going for however long.

I remember playing perfect dark zero using an old projector and a used bulb shining on a wall in a classroom. Talk about perfect 'Dark'.
Is there any indication that this studio will have multiple teams working on different games? Team A, Team B?
I'm not all that enthused about running around a dark game with dark ray tracing effects.
Does the series go into other worlds or planets? Is it just running around fighting corporate rich guys?

PooBone

"One of the most prestigious franchises in gaming history".

That's what he said. Mate that's absolute shite and you know it.
I disagree.
I'm personally looking forward to seeing The Initiative's version of Perfect Dark and since I never played any of the previous games, I will be going in completely fresh. As far as I know, it's a first person stealth shooter with gadgets. Like Deus Ex/Splinter Cell combination. Would have preferred it to be in third person but I understand why it's not.
I was also hoping/expecting it to be a third person game.

Ristifer

To me if u going to restart a franchise. It has to be a classic or or at worst cult classic. Perfect Dark has no cache. U could pretty much just came up with a new ip and the excitement would be the same imo
So where would Perfect Dark fall for you? Because if it's not a classic, it sure as hell is a cult classic. It's not some bargain bin mediocrity that everyone forgot about.

soulbait

Hey OP, is this okay with you?

I want new, original IP as well, but I am also excited about a new Perfect Dark game.

This previous generation was really slim pickings when it came to new, original IP. But then again, I also know how expensive and risky it is to attempt to make a new IP from the ground up. So let's allow Joanna have another shot at being a great game while at the same time hoping something new will be coming at some point.

Entroyp

In though it was a very good call to put their biggest and meanest studio to work on PD. That games deserved all the love it can get.

Top Bottom