• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS using The Initiative to make Perfect Dark proves they are completely clueless when it comes to games

Jigga

Perfect Dark was definitely somewhere between a classic and a cult classic. It's frequently listed as one of the very best N64 games.
Zero ruined the OG to a point it don’t matter imo. I think the game would been other with a new ip. Same genre. Just a New ip.

Jigga

So where would Perfect Dark fall for you? Because if it's not a classic, it sure as hell is a cult classic. It's not some bargain bin mediocrity that everyone forgot about.
The first one is in my top 5 n64 games. But zero ruined it is name imO. And now with all these other great games with female leads. being ok is not going to be enough. So now u putting your game in the console war crosshairs and trying to overcome a shitty sequel. Maybe I’m wrong. But idk if this was the move to me.
The initiative got to deliver something special to get zero out my memory

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
To me it makes a lot of sense to give your existing IP some attention in addition to building new IP. What's the point of new IP if you aren't going to support the ones you already have.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Zero ruined the OG to a point it don’t matter imo. I think the game would been other with a new ip. Same genre. Just a New ip.

Maybe if it was 2007, 2008.

But the stink of Perfect Dark Zero has long warn off and there probably isn't a better IP to revive for MS right now. A sci fi spy game is perfect for today's market.

PooBone

The rumors all said they were working on a third person game, but this isn’t it?
That’s a good point, I remember those rumors. Given their size, I wouldn’t be totally surprised if they have two titles in different stages of development. Or if another prototype had been canceled or changed to first person.

Fredrik

That’s a good point, I remember those rumors. Given their size, I wouldn’t be totally surprised if they have two titles in different stages of development. Or if another prototype had been canceled or changed to first person.
But have they actually said that PD will be first person? I’m just surprised here, I 100% assumed it was third person.

PooBone

But have they actually said that PD will be first person? I’m just surprised here, I 100% assumed it was third person.
It was confirmed, either in the press release or in the video interview with the developers that released right after the announcement at the TGA's.

Fredrik

It was confirmed, either in the press release or in the video interview with the developers that released right after the announcement at the TGA's.
Bummer, this is not what I wanted 😕 Hopefully they’re working on something else too then.

Fredrik

Me too, but with the amount of time that's passed I'm hoping it's a unique FPS game, if nothing else.
Yeah but it’s really not an easy genre to impress in right now, and it’s getting crowded. With 343i, iD, Arkane standing beside them they need to do something truly special to stick out. Maybe go for crazy immersive story telling like Cyberpunk or cool action like Bright Memory Infinite, or something like that.

To be awfully direct, with a third person perspective they would just need to have a fine J model with some nicely designed clothes and carefully crafted Panam curves to break through the noise and get the snowball rolling. First person is a lot trickier.

davidjaffe davidjaffe has posted a few harsh YouTubes on this game.

While I don't think it was a great trailer by any means, I don't think it was abysmal. It certainly didn't knock anyone's socks off, but it was intruiging. I don't think MS really needed it to do much more than that, so I don't see it as a big disaster.

PooBone

While I don't think it was a great trailer by any means, I don't think it was abysmal. It certainly didn't knock anyone's socks off, but it was intruiging. I don't think MS really needed it to do much more than that, so I don't see it as a big disaster.

Crabby man that no longer makes games is crabby about a new game that he has never seen.
Boy is that tiresome.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Crabby man that no longer makes games is crabby about a new game that he has never seen.
Boy is that tiresome.

But he has made two multi-million selling franchises for PlayStation and is currently working on building an entertaining YouTube channel.

What has...PooBone done?

So as many of you I've been busy playing Keanupunk 2017 and completely missed the Game Awards (random thought make the Game Awards should replace E3?)
anyways today i learned MS is forcing The Initiative to reboot Perfect Dark an overrated ok game from the 2000s its sequel was trash. My question is why go around poaching all this hot talent from around the world only for them to make a game from an existing franchise why not allow them to make something that they want?
It just boggles the mind, this is why their first party studio is shait they have clueless people making decisions. Been Xbox 2 gens now Playstation here i come.
The first perfect dark was an ok game ? False. First one at the time was great on top of being revolutionary because it was a viable fps on console and had viable competitive multiplayer. The sequel was crap because it was made by a rare who was a shell of its former self that made poor decisions gameplay and art direction wise for the game. Plus it was competing with a much more realized fps genre in the console space. Ill say I dont think youre wrong to want a new ip from such a talented group to just see what theyd come up with like I definitely get that but hey its only a freaking trailer bro lol maybe itll be great. Io is about to work on james bond and not a new ip and i couldnt be more thankful. The franchise(perfect dark) has been dormant so long it basically is a new ip. And as far as switching to sony goes just buy both and you wont have to have internal struggles like these bro😅

Last edited:

PerfectDark

Banned
Perfect Dark for Nintendo 64 was already inferior to Goldeneye 64 from the same dev, and Perfect Dark Zero for Xbox 360 was even worse. Not exactly the most thrilling franchise to bring back from oblivion. The Initiative should definitely prove their talent by making a new IP, not refurbishing an old one.

Perfect Dark for 64 during its time. Was one of the most fun games I ever played. A game I played atleast a few times a week with my brothers for 4+ years. OP was not playing games when Pdark was out. You most likely missed the golden age of gaming.

There are no devs that could make a game in 2020 as good as Perfect Dark. Games are not the same anymore. Games are cash grabs. 10+ years ago games were a art and passion.

Last edited:

Xenon

Lol. I keep reading this thread and thinking why the hell are people acting like they've been playing perfect dark zero within 20 plus years. For all intents and purposes this is pretty much a new IP. They're not going to go back to the original design and they're also not going to touch what happened with zero. Rare is not making this so there's a chance that the controls will actually be decent. They've given us a bright colorful World which people keep clamoring for instead of brown and gray. It's not like anything we've seen before so why are you all acting like you're sick of the IP?

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Perfect Dark for 64 during its time. Was one of the most fun games I ever played. A game I played atleast a few times a week with my brothers for 4+ years. OP was not playing games when Pdark was out. You most likely missed the golden age of gaming.

There are no devs that could make a game in 2020 as good as Perfect Dark. Games are not the same anymore. Games are cash grabs. 10+ years ago games were a art and passion.
If you think the N64/PS1(which aged pretty badly) era was the golden age of gaming, you definitely missed the Great Console War between Nintendo and Sega. NES, SNES, Master System, Genesis/Mega Drive, today's consoles don't hold a candle to those times.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Lol. I keep reading this thread and thinking why the hell are people acting like they've been playing perfect dark zero within 20 plus years. For all intents and purposes this is pretty much a new IP. They're not going to go back to the original design and they're also not going to touch what happened with zero. Rare is not making this so there's a chance that the controls will actually be decent. They've given us a bright colorful World which people keep clamoring for instead of brown and gray. It's not like anything we've seen before so why are you all acting like you're sick of the IP?

Honestly, been wondering the same thing. It makes no sense.

The only thing I can think of is people wishing it were a different IP because stealth, sci fi, gadgets etc doesn't appeal to them.

I can understand franchise fatigue if new iterations are coming out every 1, 2, 3, or maybe even 4 years. When there's 5+ years (let alone 15) between installments the "franchise fatigue" thing doesn't hold water.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Honestly, been wondering the same thing. It makes no sense.

The only thing I can think of is people wishing it were a different IP because stealth, sci fi, gadgets etc doesn't appeal to them.

I can understand franchise fatigue if new iterations are coming out every 1, 2, 3, or maybe even 4 years. When there's 5+ years (let alone 15) the "franchise fatigue" thing doesn't hold water.
Its the internet of today , only bitching and complaining ...

The people who enjoy things , don’t post 😂

Fredrik

The trailer is fine but his comment on Joanna’s new design looking like Jesse in Control is on point, it’s just not an interesting and unique design that’ll pull people in now. Not sure the old design would fly either though but pants and jacket characters are everywhere.

Last edited:
A new gen.
A recycled IP.

*sigh* The fuck can't we get any new IP's. JESUS !!!!!

I mean, regardless of what you think of the individual games, they also published Bleeding Edge and Tell Me Why this year. With development costs and times skyrocketing, you'll see big studios push more and more towards making new installments in surefire franchises or, alternatively, make new IPs but with gameplay loops heavily mimicking existing franhcises of theirs to sway that fanbase over too.

Sony had Tsushima this year, but other than that it was The Last Of Us coming back, another Spider-Man, another Astrobot, and so on. Nintendo is pushing out Mario remakes, Zelda spin-offs and such. EA is resorting to more remasters than ever. Activision keeps pushing COD and rebooted the two major sub-franchises to go back to the roots, and they're also reviving Crash and Spyro alongside pushing Blizzard towards just working on their big franchises. Ubisoft had a major fall, but only one new IP, Immortals, which seems to not have set the world on fire in terms of sales.

It is what it is right now.

Hawke502

I never played PD, so it will be something completely new for me, kind like a new ip, everyone who never played PD will go on with this mindset. Its also a completely different studio, and the game most certainly will be nothing like the original.

The way i see it: its a FPS set sometime in the future with cool gadgets and spy stuff, and im interested in the premise, specially since there is not a lot of spy games out there.

Porcile

Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Timesplitters 2 are my three favourite FPS games of all time. It really bums me out this kind of highly replayable FPS died out with basically these three games. Really there has been nothing like them for nearly twenty years now. I really hope they do the series justice because I'll be completely onboard if they do.

After reading thread title I knew the first post was not going to be too deep, you didnt disappoint. Yall leaving anyting open these days.

TeamGhobad

Banned
Podcast Unlocked just shredded the trailer. Studio should be a Sony contender not another FPS etc. we’re some of the reasons.

And rightfully so, the trailer looks about as generic as it gets, the near future setting has been done to death. It is clear as day that MS is creatively bankrupt.

Top Bottom