• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: Xbox One 40x More Powerful Than 360 with the Cloud, Only 10x Without the Cloud

iNvid02

40x!!!?!?!?

UF9wwZh.gif

MormaPope

Banned
tve3423-00000265-854.gif

This is the time
This is the place
So we look for the future
But there's not much cloud to go round
Tell me why, this is a land of confusion.

1-D_FTW

Raide

I don't think the cloud works like they think it does. The CPU in the Xbone and PS4 is exactly the same. It is only the GPU where Microsoft made a significant decrease in power. The cloud can not fix this. The Cloud can't increase texture size, can't increase frame rate, can't increase resolution, can't increase polygon count, and can't increase AA capabilities. All the cloud can do is process background calculations that are slow, which are typically designated to the CPU anyways.

They have built the system with really fast access to all the system parts, I am sure they are working their whole console into that fast access to cloud data to the rest of the system.

Sure the cloud cannot do the stuff you mentioned but what if they could unload some of the more menial stuff and leave the console to push more of the stuff it needs like textures, models etc.

BadWolf

Sounds like BS they came up with to counter every time someone asks them why the X1 is so much weaker than the PS4.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
They are just piggy backing off of their Azure installation.

There is nothing new that Azure does in comparison to other cloud computation services.

This is all deflection PR, and marketing for their services and pay walls.

Bingo.

MrBud360

The Cloud, could be processing people routines at an RPG city, could be processing millions of AI decisions that change an AI character behavior. Not realtime stuff, but things you could stream with a little latency to use later in real time. Geometry, textures, massive AI tests

i-Lo

Well yes, having MMO-like features needs a server. And the Souls series has shown that online elements can greatly contribute to single-player games.

What's absolutely ridiculous here is the insinuation that you can somehow move 75% of your GPU and CPU load in a game "to the cloud".

Ae you really thinking about what you are saying here? If a procedural texture is so detailed or large that it makes sense to take the software complexity and latency hit of "outsourcing" it to some cloud server, how will you stream it to the system? Conversely, if it is small enough that it can be easily streamed, can it truly not be computed more effectively locally?

Perfect response:

Durante

They have built the system with really fast access to all the system parts, I am sure they are working their whole console into that fast access to cloud data to the rest of the system.

Sure the cloud cannot do the stuff you mentioned but what if they could unload some of the more menial stuff and leave the console to push more of the stuff it needs like textures, models etc.
Yeah, they probably customized one of the move engines to move model data from the cloud directly to the eSRAM. The extremely low latency of that memory pool will make up for the latency of the cloud request.

I may be doing this too well

Cynar

Microsoft, why are you killing us? Why? Everyday the news just gets worse and worse. I just want fall to come and get a ps4 so I can be done with it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Are people really buying this cloud processing nonsense? I really hope not.

McLovin

Thats BS, but I guess technically they could make stuff Milo work with the cloud. But I still don't see the point in Milo, so whatever.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Jesus fucking christ.

Please GAF mods, censor the term cloud to magic or something for my own sanity. AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Klocker

Are people really buying this cloud processing nonsense? I really hope not.

haha... lot's of people in denial that this exists but 300,000 new MS servers and some creative Devs (even if mostly 1st party) will prove people wrong.

I bet we don't hear much of this cloud bullshit after the first couple of years.

actually it's more like that's all you will hear about wrt to xbox and game development

That would be a ridiculous insinuation indeed, but I don't think it is what has been claimed. The GPU tasks mostly cannot be done in the cloud, because rendering requires a very low latency, or else the game would slow down.
Cloud computing should only be appropriate for "latency insensitive" tasks, like they say in the above gizmodo article.

The example they use in the gizmodo article is occlusion not working correctly and the space behind the wall you're looking at is being rendered on the GPU despite not being visible. It's a bug, and is absolutely a result of the GPU rendering out more than it can handle. It's latency sensitive and the idea that the game will go, "whoops! Occlusion fucked up! GPU can't handle it!" and then offload GPU processing to the cloud is ridiculous. Even in the fantasy land in which it works, it would judder, and then you'd have input lag according to your latency for as long as it was going on.

That would be a ridiculous insinuation indeed, but I don't think it is what has been claimed. The GPU tasks mostly cannot be done in the cloud, because rendering requires a very low latency, or else the game would slow down.
Cloud computing should only be appropriate for "latency insensitive" tasks, like they say in the above gizmodo article.

How latency insensitive are we talking here? Since they xbox 1 only has to go online once every 24 hours then we must be talking about tasks that a game would only run once every 24 hours.

Sounds like what i was saying earlier. Unlike the "potential" of the cell processor, there are real and obvious differences in hardware power between the PS4 and xbox 1 that MS are trying to get out ahead of. It looks to me like the CPU's are probably very close if not identical in power, but every rumor points to the PS4 having a pretty big lead over xbox in the gpu. And the differences between the memory in the 2 systems speaks for itself.

Septimius

I am sure more than one of the launch games will use it. I am guessing Forza 5 will use it for something. Advanced Physics calculations? Weather effects? Crazy nerd calculations that racing-sim fans obsess over? I am sure MS will be pushing them.

How? Do you really think you can start turning a car in the game, the game can then tell a "cloud" where it's turning and the cloud can tell it all the things that go into physics calculations?

The modelling of the physics is what's costly. Driving around after that barely takes any CPU. Anything the magical "cloud" can compute has to be non-input lag sensitive stuff. So, sure, you can have a server that remembers the state of an online map. Big whoop.

Raide

Yeah, they probably customized one of the move engines to move model data from the cloud directly to the eSRAM. The extremely low latency of that memory pool will make up for the latency of the cloud request.

I may be doing this too well

Kinda makes sense. Of course they need to show something first before people actually believe it but that goes for pretty much everything for XBone currently.

I am a 100% fence sitter on this one until I see games but I am always more positive towards new tech. Move this industry on already!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
The fuck? How the hell are dev's supposed to synchronize between local and cloud rendering? This sounds like total bs.

You're not rendering on the cloud

You are offloading calculations of things that don't need to be done locally

Things that would be far too strenuous to do but not really impacted by average latencies

And by doing this you are opening up CPU time and in some case GPU time to spend on other things

Top Bottom