• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: Xbox One 40x More Powerful Than 360 with the Cloud, Only 10x Without the Cloud

i0EraIh.jpg

Eusis

The offload processing to the cloud? Isn't that what Onlive was?
Onlive was more like Netflix: render locally, stream a full image to you. Unless there's something we're missing you simply don't get a huge visual boost with cloud computing just because of the latency, at best I guess it takes off CPU demands that need to be dealt with but not immediately, leaving other stuff for the local CPU/GPU to deal with. But I can't imagine that working out great in real time.
We're yelling at them, Microsoft built a temple to them and are offering them sacrifices.

Skytylz

Banned
I might be able to do graphics computations in the cloud if I were wired directly to the cloud. However, with the current online infrastructure this is stupid and probably won't be feasible for 10+ years.

1-D_FTW

It's like a Presidential debate. You know you're beaten on an issue, so you make up some statement and run with it.

Remember, kids, it's not a lie if you believe it.

This is complete obfuscation and explains nothing how it works. Its like Milo and Kate again claiming "awesome potential" with no real meat on how it could be achieved.

Its just saying your laptop is 1,000,000 times more powerful because you can connect to the internet and use those servers.

In one aspect its true... Connecting to the server cluster at Stanford and having them do MATH for me would mean my laptop is no longer CPU bound. Of course the problem is now that the laptop is NETWORK PIPE & LATENCY bound.

In the real world, having that server cluster try to render CRYSIS 6 for me would not prove fruitful beyond calculating what the clouds in the sky should be doing in the backround.

I presume they must have some sort of ideas of what they could use the computational power of the cloud for, but as many people have said, you're extremely limited in what you can do in real-time gaming applications. I think journalists need to ask them to provide examples of the kind of things they have in mind.

Hermii

Wise words by mister Iwata.

Saturo Iwata said:
The term ‘cloud gaming’ is one of the words we have lately heard so often, but I would like people to understand that there are certain things that cloud gaming cannot achieve,” Iwata explained to investors. “A cloud is an attempt to process information online on a server, as opposed to doing so on individual machines in the hands of the users. What this implies is, since the time to transmit data over an Internet connection is never negligible, there is always some latency before you receive the result of your input

Of course, there are types of games on which delays have no effect. In such instances, it may perhaps make sense to have an input means as well as the ability to display images at hand and let all the information be processed on a server

On the other hand, for some highly interactive games, action games in particular, the time required to reflect the push of a button on the screen is critical and the frame rate (the number of times a screen can be updated in a given second) determines the fluidity of the movements. This means that there are some types of games that can be put on the Internet and others that cannot.

By the laws of physics, it always takes some time to transmit data, and given the current level of Internet technology, there is bound to be some latency during the processes of a server receiving data, producing images instantly and sending them back. There are many things that cloud gaming cannot do by design, but this fact has not been communicated well to the public, and I find it strange that many people claim that cloud gaming is the future

marrec

Banned
i never see anything besides jokes in threads like this. can anybody explain to me how this would work? please ?

The idea is that processing power is offloaded to 'the cloud' which is essentially a super computer that you connect to via your internet. In this scenario the only real limitation is your bandwidth, and for a lot of people their bandwidth is too small for the cloud to be a viable option for increasing power. Going into the future as bandwidth increases more and more power will be available to the X1 via the cloud. Theoretically.

Such a huge exaggeration that makes this borderline BS. They already said XBone is 8x as powerful, so this guys numbers are way out of wack.

With that said, I don't see why Sony wouldn't be capable of doing the same thing with their purchase of Gaikai. Down the line Sony could be assisting processing responsibilities with the cloud quite heavily. Even for MS and XBone this is not something thats going to be taken advantage of immeditately or probably for the first couple years.

madmackem

hahaha i have no words. Giakia bringing 100 times the power to ps4, it sounds like something youd hear on the school yards.

Riggs

Banned
Bought some new cloud connected condoms with blast processing IR core reactors, precision enabled vortex 3d printing also.

CANNOT WAIT TO JACK OFF TONIGHT WHILE WATCHING XBOX REVEAL FOR 82ND TIME.

SRTtoZ

You're assuming single player games won't require the cloud/internet connection. I believe one MS executive in one of these interviews was talking about some single player games requiring internet connection/cloud.

I think people are scared of that. Having to be online to get the best experience out of a SINGLE PLAYER GAME. Yuck. And if you dont think Cloud is going to be hidden behind the Gold paywall you're all crazy.

Daingurse

I'll believe it when I see it Microsoft. Prove it, if cloud computing actually increases the performance of games, cool. Put up or shut up. This is going to be very interesting E3.

Brashnir

Such a huge exaggeration that makes this borderline BS. They already said XBone is 8x as powerful, so this guys numbers are way out of wack.

With that said, I don't see why Sony wouldn't be capable of doing the same thing with their purchase of Gaikai. Down the line Sony could be assisting processing responsibilities with the cloud quite heavily. Even for MS and XBone this is not something thats going to be taken advantage of immeditately or probably for the first couple years.

It's not even borderline BS. It's complete horseshit.

M.D

Well, so far they were smart enough tricking the press into thinking the One and PS4 are exactly the same machine. Or maybe it has more to do with the press being too lazy to make a real comparison, but it's working either way.

The idea is that processing power is offloaded to 'the cloud' which is essentially a super computer that you connect to via your internet. In this scenario the only real limitation is your bandwidth, and for a lot of people their bandwidth is too small for the cloud to be a viable option for increasing power. Going into the future as bandwidth increases more and more power will be available to the X1 via the cloud. Theoretically.

The bandwidth isn't even the biggest problem but latency.

I don't think a latency of 150-200ms is okay for real-time stuff.

boingball

That's what happens when the sales people take over and no engineers are seen anywhere. Compare that to the refreshing alternative of Sony where they let an engineer (Mark Cerny) talk.

Shads

I don't know how cloud computing works, but I always assumed the cloud was for saving data across devices and streaming and that's it. Is there something else I'm missing here? I can't imagine it could improve the performance of a system, that concept sounds absurd to me and if it was their "secret weapon" then they should've touted the shit out of it at their conference.

Kareha

Does the Xbox One come with anti virus software, having this cloud integration and Internet Explorer is risky business ;)

Spartaner

Banned

thanks! so this means for people without internet = 10 times as powerful, people with slow internet 25 times as powerful and fast internet = 40 times?

nevermind my post if its nonsense

Top Bottom