• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MSI launches Trident S PC gaming console in NA ($800, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, Vega 7, 16GB DDR5)

Official American release is now green for the MSi Trident S PC in a console shell. Unlike the Chinese release, it won't come with a free month of gamepass and it will cost $800. Different retailers have different configuration which I will list below.

1024.png

1024.png

msi-trident-s-12th-reshape-1280px.jpg

Looks like an Xbox One X, but has the PS4 matte/gloss split on the cover. Fully compatible with any controller that works with PC. No disc drive unfortunately, but expected.

Comes with Windows 11 home as the OS.

B&H Video Specs

ChipsetAMD B300
ProcessorAMD Ryzen 5 5600G
CPU3.9 to 4.4 GHz 6-Core
L3 Cache16 MB
Graphics TypeIntegrated
GPUAMD Radeon Vega 7
Memory Type3200 MHz DDR5
Total Installed Memory16 GB
Memory Configuration2 x 8 GB
Memory Slot TypeNot Specified by Manufacturer
Buffered MemoryNo
ECC MemoryNo
Storage and Expansion
Total Drive BaysNone
SSD SlotsNone
Total Installed Capacity512 GB
Solid State Storage1 x 512 GB M.2 NVMe PCIe
PCI ExpansionNone
Optical DriveNone
I/O
Ports2 x USB Type-A (USB 3.1 / USB 3.2 Gen 2)
1 x USB Type-A (USB 2.0)
USB Type-C1 x USB 3.1 / USB 3.2 Gen 2
Display1 x HDMI 2.0
1 x DisplayPort 1.4
1 x VGA
Audio1 x 1/8" / 3.5 mm Microphone Input
1 x 1/8" / 3.5 mm Headphone/Microphone Input/Output
Built-In SpeakersNone
Built-In MicrophonesNone
Media/Memory Card SlotNone
Communications
Ethernet1 x RJ45 (Gigabit)
Wi-FiWi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)
MU-MIMO SupportNone
Bluetooth5.2
NFCNo
Keyboard & Mouse
KeyboardUSB Notebook Keyboard
Pointing DeviceUSB Mouse
General
SecurityKensington Lock Slot
Power Supply120 W with Barrel/Proprietary
AC Input Power100 to 240 VAC, 50 / 60 Hz
Dimensions13.17 x 7.3 x 3.66" / 334.52 x 185.42 x 92.96 mm
Weight5.33 lb / 2.42 kg

Office Depot specs

Bluetooth EnabledYes
Graphics TypeShared
Maximum Turbo Speed5 GHz
Memory18 GB
Memory TypeDDR4 SDRAM
ModelMAG Trident S 5M-017US
Processor BrandAMD
Processor Model5600G
Processor Number Of Cores6-Core
Processor Speed (Base)4 GHz
Warranty1-Year Limited
Wired Connectivity10/100/1000 Ethernet
Quantity1
Brand NameMSI
Diverse SupplierMinority-Owned Business Enterprise (MBE); Small Business Administration (SBA); Veteran-Owned Business (VOB)
ManufacturerMSI COMPUTER CORP
Product TypeTower Only Desktop Computer
LAN ManufacturerRealtek
LAN ModelRTL8111H
Maximum Memory Supported68719476736
Memory Configuration2 x 8GB
Number Of Ethernet Ports1
Number Of HDMI Outputs (Rear)1
Number Of USB 3.2 Gen 2 Ports2
SSD Form FactorM.2
Total Number Of USB Ports4

Here's the link to the page for it, on my end parts of it are broken but it may not for you https://www.msi.com/Desktop/MAG-Trident-S-5M/Overview

If you go to where to buy it only lists Chinese pages, They received the Trident S in April or May iirc, but now it's here in America for $799.

Here are some of the features noted on the website, keep in mind there isn't an American version of this page if you notice any thing strange in the descriptions. Even though they just released it for US consumers with US support.

MULTI-INSTANCE​

Play Multiple Mobile Games at the Same Time​

Run multiple games simultaneously with no confusion and compromise. It provides performance tuning through Multi-Instance Manager to better fit diverse circumstances in each instance.

I'm not sure why you would want to do this, but you can run multiple mobile games at once if you need to, and that's a pretty cool, if not a tad impractical, feature.

PLAY MOBILE GAMES AS CONSOLE WITH CONTROLLER​

With the latest innovation, gamers can experience​

Console-like control on laptops with intuitive UI dedicatedly designed for controllers.

I don't really know what this means.

Supports MSI Gaming Lan Manager​

When you play cloud games or mobile games, Lan Manager always prioritizes them in the network transmission, allowing you to enjoy a smooth and non-lag gaming experience.

it's really important to have a lag-free experience, but considering the specs on this machine I don't think mobile games are going to cause any lag, but it's nice to have the guarantee.

UPGRADE EASILY​

Motherboard Slot​

There is a dedicated motherboard slot at the back of the desktop, allowing you to pull out the entire motherboard with only one screw and easily upgrade the components.

This is the gold nugget. An upgradable windows 11 console? Sounds good to me, you don't have to deal with walled hardware or buying a new model.

ACCELERATE THE CHARGE AND RETURN TO THE BATTLEFIELD​

Supports Super Charge 2.0​

The front USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C provides 10Gbps transmission speed and a 15W supply of power. Compared to the 5W of USB Type-A, it can shorten the charging time of your devices.

Less time to wait to get back in the game can only be a good thing.

Supports Up to 3 Monitors​

This MSI gaming desktop provides 3 sets of video signal output so that you can dominate the game while gaining access to information outside the game.

For the hardcore PC gamer that wants an easy to use console-like experience, you can easily set up 3 monitors to use with your Trident S.

MSI Center software helps you control and customize your MSI Desktop the way you want. Monitor, adjust and optimize easily through one unified system.
MSI-Center_user-scenario.jpg

Settings to optimize performance for gaming and multitasking.

<>
it's a very good looking piece of hardware, with that being said, I'm not entirely sure the $800 price point is worth the specs I'm seeing. I haven't been keeping track of the latest PC prices in 2022, so I could be wrong and this may be a great deal for the price, but I'm not too sure on it.

One of the big pluses for the Trident S "console" is that it's upgradable which is different form most other PC's trying to imitate the console experience in shape and size, so if you were worried that the Trident S would be locked-in, you don't have to worry about that, so that's one big perk.

Will you consider purchasing a Trident S?

I have a Series X so i don't really see the need at this time.

Antwix

I don't really see the point of this? It's not like you can put a graphics card in this to increase performance so you're stuck with integrated graphics. Something like Cyberpunk or RDR2 running at 900p at med/low settings would get about 30fps.

I don't really see the point of this? It's not like you can put a graphics card in this to increase performance so you're stuck with integrated graphics. Something like Cyberpunk or RDR2 running at 900p at med/low settings would get about 30fps.

It's giving you the PC gaming experience, but in in the form of a console for convenience.

It's not to first to try this, remember the Atari VCS? This is a lot stronger than that though.

Ozzie666

How far have integrated graphics come these days?

I mean the idea is ok, but we've seen this before with Steam boxes with the Valve name. The price point is somewhat high for what it's trying to bring to the table.
I'm not sure if there are cheaper options that would function as a full blown PC. The design is very Xbox one inspired with a bit of PS2. I assume there are better media boxes too.

But anything to expand PC gaming is great.

Reallink

For reference the GPU portion is weaker than a Steamdeck and base PS4--a fully featured portable that's less than half the price and a discontinued decade old console. It sits somewhere between a GTX 1030 and GTX 1050 (non-Ti). There is no redeeming quality to this thing whatsoever, it's literal e-waste destined for a landfill.

Last edited:

Antwix

It's giving you the PC gaming experience, but in in the form of a console for convenience.

It's not to first to try this, remember the Atari VCS? This is a lot stronger than that though.
Yeah but it's a PC gaming experience that's much worse than the current console gen. It seems like a huge niche product. Even a gtx 1050 is better.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont know anything about price/performance ratios for PC, but by the looks of it an AMD Vega GPU probably means it's not great(?)

But for you PC experts, is $800 for this package a good deal for what you get?

Crayon

I dont know anything about price/performance ratios for PC, but by the looks of it an AMD Vega GPU probably means it's not great(?)

But for you PC experts, is $800 for this package a good deal for what you get?

I don't think it's a good deal. Check out ETA Prime on youtube. He covers a lot of these sort of things and there are ones that are a much better deal. Same idea, though.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Can't you get a laptop with like a 3050ti for $800? How can't they put something at least comparable in this with no screen, battery, keyboard, etc
You can't upgrade a laptop like you upgrade this.

Yeah but it's a PC gaming experience that's much worse than the current console gen. It seems like a huge niche product. Even a gtx 1050 is better.
Its for players who wants a PC under the TV with a console form factor. Basically trading power for some PC advantages (emulations, more games, versatility of controllers, keyboard/mouse gaming, mods etc). So with this you can play PC, Xbox and Playstation PC games without needing to buy 2 consoles.

People can also build their own SFF PC if they are willing to spend more, but this is a pre-build which saves time and the convenience.

ArtHands

Maybe its to cater to the a growing trend of people adding a PC under the TV in the living room, what's with the rise of portable PC like Steam Deck and Aya Neo, small form factor PC etc. I myself use a spare PC in my entertainment room under the TV.

baphomet

You can't upgrade a laptop like you upgrade this.

Its for players who wants a PC under the TV with a console form factor. Basically trading power for some PC advantages (emulations, more games, versatility of controllers, keyboard/mouse gaming, mods etc). So with this you can play PC, Xbox and Playstation PC games without needing to buy 2 consoles.

People can also build their own SFF PC if they are willing to spend more, but this is a pre-build which saves time and the convenience.

You can't upgrade this. Not GPU at least.

The prices of regular decent gpus are falling fast. Might he a better call to wait a month or two and make a decent gaming pc in that price range with the older ryzen 5 cpus and a decent RTX 3060ti or 3070

baphomet

Its literally written in the op as one of the selling points. Maybe not with a huge GPU but you can upgrade it

These don't contain a discrete GPU so good luck upgrading it to one.

Wccftech confirm you can't put a GPU in here. It's specifically for mobile and cloud gaming.

Last edited:

ArtHands

These don't contain a discrete GPU so good luck upgrading it to one.

Wccftech confirm you can't put a GPU in here. It's specifically for mobile and cloud gaming.

Still doesn’t not mean its not upgradeable. People can build their own SFF PC if they want. That’s the beauty of PC gaming

demigod

Still doesn’t not mean its not upgradeable. People can build their own SFF PC if they want. That’s the beauty of PC gaming
It’s not upgradeable. Did you even look at the msi site with a glimpse of the motherboard? There is no pci-e slot. Even if there is, it wouldn’t fit. The only things you can upgrade are what’s already in there.

ArtHands

Youre argument was that this POS is upgradable compared to a laptop.

The reality is that not only would a similar priced laptop outperform this by orders of magnitude, you actually have more upgrade paths with a laptop.

Well then get a laptop if you want power but no upgradeability. Like I said, this is about compact PC.

It’s not upgradeable. Did you even look at the msi site with a glimpse of the motherboard? There is no pci-e slot. Even if there is, it wouldn’t fit. The only things you can upgrade are what’s already in there.

Your first and last sentences contradict each other.

• Empathy
Reactions: amc

baphomet

I am talking in general sense compared to a laptop.

What part of a laptop being far more upgradable than this are you not understanding?

You can upgrade ram (DDR 4 only) and storage in this thing, Both of which are also easily upgradable in a laptop. This thing is most likely using laptop parts anyway.

No not true. There isn’t really a need to insult when you can’t give a rebutt.
riributt
rihanna dancing GIF

You were already given correction with accurate info, you didn't have sense to take it in. 🤷‍♂️
That being the case, my answer is justified.

Last edited:
Top Bottom