• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MSI launches Trident S PC gaming console in NA ($800, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, Vega 7, 16GB DDR5)

These specs are horrible, you'd be much better off on a Series X or a PS5. For a device that appears designed for TVs, in a world where 4K TVs are more and more common, if you don't have the tech to render games at 4K it's a total nonstarter. goodness I think the series S might perform better than this.. hard hard hard hard no.

This would be interesting if it were 1/4 of the price.

Most of these console PC form factors are overpriced.

The Atari VCS is still $400 and has these spec

Code:
OPERATING SYSTEM
Atari Custom Linux OS (Debian based)

APU
AMD Raven Ridge 2 (RG1606G)

GPU
AMD Ryzen

STORAGE
32GB eMMC fixed internal; internal M.2 SSD slot; unlimited external USB HD/stick; cloud (subscription required)

RAM*
8GB DDR4 RAM (upgradable)

COMPATIBLE SYSTEMS
Linux, Windows, Steam OS, Chrome OS

WIRELESS CONNECTIONS
Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n 2.4/5GHz, Bluetooth 4.0

WIRED CONNECTIONS
HDMI 2.0, Gigabit Ethernet, 4x USB 3.1

USB PORTS
2x front, 2x rear

EXTERNAL INPUTS

MOUSE & KEYBOARD SUPPORT
Yes, USB or Bluetooth

4K VIDEO WITH HDCP 2.2 INTEGRATION
Yes

INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED
Yes

Maybe that $800 price is actually how much it costs to make a PC with that form factor, material, and specs.

If you always have to sacrifice performance and graphics to have a console like form factor for you PC maybe they will never be worth it to people who are hardcore gamers since you could just buy the actual console instead and have better specs. I only see casuals buying this.

Then who cares?

The casual PC users that MSI is targeting. Or people who don't care about the graphics but like having a blank slate to tinker with. Same users that are buying the Atari VCS (2021)

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Same users that are buying the Atari VCS (2021)

Season 2 Reaction GIF by Insecure on HBO
Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU
Old Men Laughing GIF by ABC Network

Looking around seems Atari has sold about 20k of them, that's better than every other "console" that isn't actually competing with Sony, Nintendo, and MS has done. So as funny as that may seem it's actually pretty good for a store brand console compared to name brand items, may be the best.

I think MSI will have to be lucky to reach those numbers though. They would need to get it in more stores with marketing to let people know there on sale.

Kilau

Gold Member
I like SFF PCs and this one looks very nice, price is a killer though. Would like to see gamers nexus check it out.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
To upgrade components. The hard drive, M.2, and ram. It also shows the CPU can be upgraded, but there's only 1 other thing that will fit it and it won't improve graphics.

The motherboard is proprietary and cannot be upgraded.
Yeah this might have made sense if they waited and went with an am5 board and cpu.

octiny

Banned
If you always have to sacrifice performance and graphics to have a console like form factor for you PC maybe they will never be worth it to people who are hardcore gamers since you could just buy the actual console instead and have better specs. I only see casuals buying this.

No need to sacrifice if you don't care about the price, know what you're doing & want something that demolishes consoles in the same size or smaller.

My current personal systems

RTX 3090 shunt modded to 500w in a PS5 sized case (10.9 liters, Sliger CL530)

369455.888d4d9878f6efd8fd07d55a3e6ca5b4.1600.jpg

369455.dd9a874357327d1a15770657b0bf69ec.1600.jpg

& my other build, which is currently the fastest "gaming" PC under 5 liters (Velka V5 V2 4.9L, over twice as small as a PS5) w/ an internal power supply. Decked out w/ a 6800 XT (other people have only managed a RX 6800/3070 TI in sub 5 liter category)

ru4vqoxyuqa91.jpg

lk8g8lg9vqa91.jpg

(65% keyboard for reference)

The system itself just isn't worth it, much better alternatives out there. Hell, there's a $799 handheld w/ a 6800U coming out soon which will run circles around an OC'ed 5600G in gaming. Just dock it if you never want to use it as a handheld. Not to mention there are other systems out there already trying to sell similar concepts for cheaper & in most cases, faster. I feel as if this product had been in development for awhile & instead of simply wasting the R&D they already spent on it they've just decided to release full well knowing it's not worth it at that price hoping some derps buy it.

Edit:

My point being so much is possible w/ custom SFF market now, be it a cheap or expensive build, it renders these products useless (at these types of prices). Without taking into account that there are already better pre-built systems, smaller, faster & cheaper than the Trident S.

Last edited:

Fbh

Most of these console PC form factors are overpriced.

The Atari VCS is still $400 and has these spec

Code:
OPERATING SYSTEM
Atari Custom Linux OS (Debian based)

APU
AMD Raven Ridge 2 (RG1606G)

GPU
AMD Ryzen

STORAGE
32GB eMMC fixed internal; internal M.2 SSD slot; unlimited external USB HD/stick; cloud (subscription required)

RAM*
8GB DDR4 RAM (upgradable)

COMPATIBLE SYSTEMS
Linux, Windows, Steam OS, Chrome OS

WIRELESS CONNECTIONS
Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n 2.4/5GHz, Bluetooth 4.0

WIRED CONNECTIONS

USB PORTS
2x front, 2x rear

EXTERNAL INPUTS

MOUSE & KEYBOARD SUPPORT
Yes, USB or Bluetooth

4K VIDEO WITH HDCP 2.2 INTEGRATION
Yes

INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED
Yes

Maybe that $800 price is actually how much it costs to make a PC with that form factor, material, and specs.

The casual PC users that MSI is targeting. Or people who don't care about the graphics but like having a blank slate to tinker with. Same users that are buying the Atari VCS (2021)

What? no it doesn't cost $800 to make a PC with those specs, specially if your are buying in bulk.

And hey, if nothing else at least the Atari VCS looks really nice:
KH6HRRDDHNG5HK6CUFUWLBSHK4.jpg

lol that's garbage. If you're making a gaming computer for a low price point then why use DDR5? It's hugely inefficient relative to cost. Straight up it would be better to use a 5600, 8GB of Samsung C-die or equivalent at 3200MT/s, and actually put in a semi-competent GPU (even an RTX 3050 at low-end).

(actually, I realise the ostensible reason for DDR5 is that very fast memory works best with integrated solutions, but also, integrated solutions are shit for gaming)

baphomet

lol that's garbage. If you're making a gaming computer for a low price point then why use DDR5? It's hugely inefficient relative to cost. Straight up it would be better to use a 5600, 8GB of Samsung C-die or equivalent at 3200MT/s, and actually put in a semi-competent GPU (even an RTX 3050 at low-end).

(actually, I realise the ostensible reason for DDR5 is that very fast memory works best with integrated solutions, but also, integrated solutions are shit for gaming)

It's not DDR5.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best didn't I say MS would release a console like form factor PC? The specs are bad on this one, but imagine the following specs:

Zen4/RDNA3
16GB GDDR6
HDMI 2.1
USB 4.0
Infinity Cache+AMD smartshift
PCIE5 NVMe SSD of >5GB/sec
Wifi6E

someone mentioned in your PS6 thread of the following issues: 1) Games take too long to load 2) UI is not simple like xbox.

to adress this: 1) DirectStorage API makes games load within 1-4 seconds using standard NVMESSD and SATA. HDD games take 26-30 seconds to load. 2) MS is rumored to make windows 12, but I am sure they can make/modify UI adjustments since Windowss 11 is part of "windows core" and have a xbox like interface.

Boss Man

But I can just lay my desktop tower on the carpet next to my TV and run an ethernet cable to it with a fan blowing on it to keep it cool and use a wireless keyboard and mouse on my lap while navigating windows to look online and troubleshoot game crashes. Btw does anyone know why DayZ is running like shit on my rig? Is it an AMD thing?

Last edited:
My point being so much is possible w/ custom SFF market now, be it a cheap or expensive build, it renders these products useless (at these types of prices). Without taking into account that there are already better pre-built systems, smaller, faster & cheaper than the Trident S.

But you also have to consider the many innovative features MSI is giving you when you purchase a trident S you won't get anywhere else. Don't forget OS optimization for games, never heard of before in PC gaming until the Trident S.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best didn't I say MS would release a console like form factor PC? The specs are bad on this one, but imagine the following specs:

Zen4/RDNA3
16GB GDDR6
HDMI 2.1
USB 4.0
Infinity Cache+AMD smartshift
PCIE5 NVMe SSD of >5GB/sec
Wifi6E

someone mentioned in your PS6 thread of the following issues: 1) Games take too long to load 2) UI is not simple like xbox.

to adress this: 1) DirectStorage API makes games load within 1-4 seconds using standard NVMESSD and SATA. HDD games take 26-30 seconds to load. 2) MS is rumored to make windows 12, but I am sure they can make/modify UI adjustments since Windowss 11 is part of "windows core" and have a xbox like interface.

For financial reasons MS will probably still make Windows 12; they didn't have to make Windows 11 but decided to do that instead of Windows 10X for example.

But as to the main point of your post, if you made that suggestion for a 10th-gen MS console...I would actually agree. That's probably where they will trend; Steam Machines, but done the right way. Things are setting up in place for that between Resizable BAR/SAM, DirectStorage, proliferation of SSDs, better PCIe bandwidths. new nVME specifications, etc.

With the likelihood of 10th-gen consoles being more expensive (IMO they'll be $599 baseline), a company like MS can still leverage the discounts they get at millions of scale for bulk orders to build a price-efficient "consolized gaming PC". Redoing the GDK was a big step towards this. We'll see how that plays out. Sony, I think, will do something more like a traditional approach, something with less modularity but probably with other advantages. They'll definitely have a lower-priced, lower-performance option at launch to offset whatever the PS6 ends up being, though. I think they would design theirs focused primarily on being a high-performance streaming companion, however.

Top Bottom